Page 177 of 267 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 227 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,310 of 7983
    Thanks
    Yeah, I've been posting here a lot lately..

It's just that, I've been thinking... APW isn't cheap. So maybe there would be a better alternative solution to this than just me taking APW? Did anyone ever not take APW and still get into Animation? There are probably some, but could anyone give me tips on how to do this? Any books to help me have better line quality, draw better... etc?

I need to know...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    New to ConceptArt, hello! I have a few questions for anyone who has answers:

1. Are you allowed to submit two sketchbooks for Sheridan's animation portfolio?
    One has life drawing and class work. The other has personal sillyness/characters, etc.

2. For personal works, are sculpture, printmaking, and ceramics acceptable?
    I feel like they would be out of place but apparently they mark personal works on creativity and want to see that I have an interest in other fields of art too?

3. Is my impression of the application process correct?
    My impression is: Apply from ontariocolleges > Get school to send transcript > Pay fees > Get response in February > Attend portfolio day sometime in March? > Wait to see how you did

I mean, I got a suggestion from one of the professors there to take fundamentals first before animation and I'm expecting to be in fundamentals anyway. But I'm still going to try for animation since the $95 covers applying to that too. Plus, having my portfolio evaluated can show me what I should focus on improving the most.

Edit: I realised that I am able to answer some questions myself!

@SinEater:

1. You are allowed to draw larger and shrink it, but they want you to include the original; just don't make the larger too large because they dislike that.

2. They send it in the mail sometime in February, I believe, once you are accepted. Figured that because February 1st is the deadline for equal consideration for applications, so it should be after that date.

3. There is a $50 portfolio assessment fee.

@Lycoris:

First: I like your name! Moving on.

Many people have gotten in without taking APW!
    Take a look through the previous pages--there are many people straight out of high school or other art programs that have gotten in!

Also, the professor I spoke to during the portfolio review said that about half of the animation students come right from Sheridan's fundamentals program--I am also fairly sure that most of them did not take APW alongside that due to money and time constraints.

All I can say really is draw often for getting better. Improving is about what you put into it. Do you have any books on anatomy/life drawing/etc.? They are much more useful for improving than any other books.

My teachers are all nuts for Bridgeman's and Nicolaides' life drawing books and I've had that stuff drilled into my head for the past year and a half.

Force yourself to draw things you totally dread or hate drawing too. For me, that stuff is perspective scenes and still life but you learn a lot from getting out of your comfort zone.
    Last edited by waltz.chu; November 6th, 2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Don't want to double post, but I can answer someone's question!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by waltz.chu View Post
    New to ConceptArt, hello! I have a few questions for anyone who has answers:

1. Are you allowed to submit two sketchbooks for Sheridan's animation portfolio?
    One has life drawing and class work. The other has personal sillyness/characters, etc.

2. For personal works, are sculpture, printmaking, and ceramics acceptable?
    I feel like they would be out of place but apparently they mark personal works on creativity and want to see that I have an interest in other fields of art too?

3. Is my impression of the application process correct?
    My impression is: Apply from ontariocolleges > Get school to send transcript > Pay fees > Get response in February > Attend portfolio day sometime in March? > Wait to see how you did

I mean, I got a suggestion from one of the professors there to take fundamentals first before animation and I'm expecting to be in fundamentals anyway. But I'm still going to try for animation since the $95 covers applying to that too. Plus, having my portfolio evaluated can show me what I should focus on improving the most.

Edit: I realised that I am able to answer some questions myself!

@SinEater:

1. You are allowed to draw larger and shrink it, but they want you to include the original; just don't make the larger too large because they dislike that.

2. They send it in the mail sometime in February, I believe, once you are accepted. Figured that because February 1st is the deadline for equal consideration for applications, so it should be after that date.

3. There is a $50 portfolio assessment fee.
    Hola, welcome to CA

Um, I think you should just submit one sketchbook... that's what I think. Not sure too much about other things, but your personal works aren't weighed as much as some of the other mandatory works you need to hand in :/

For personal works, they don't accept 3D works, so no sculpture, installations, ceramics, etc. If your print art is just flat (not part of any installation) then that's probably fine. Usually I hear that people send in their anatomy sketches, skull drawings, still life drawings, drawings, but nothing beyond that.

I think you hand in your portfolio some time in Feb, get response back at least a month or so later...

All right, good luck on your portfolio there

Edit:

@Lycoris:

First: I like your name! Moving on.

Many people have gotten in without taking APW!
    Take a look through the previous pages--there are many people straight out of high school or other art programs that have gotten in!

Also, the professor I spoke to during the portfolio review said that about half of the animation students come right from Sheridan's fundamentals program--I am also fairly sure that most of them did not take APW alongside that due to money and time constraints.

All I can say really is draw often for getting better. Improving is about what you put into it. Do you have any books on anatomy/life drawing/etc.? They are much more useful for improving than any other books.

My teachers are all nuts for Bridgeman's and Nicolaides' life drawing books and I've had that stuff drilled into my head for the past year and a half.

Force yourself to draw things you totally dread or hate drawing too. For me, that stuff is perspective scenes and still life but you learn a lot from getting out of your comfort zone.
    Thanks for this keke ><

Your tips assured me. Yeah I was feeling kind of down, seeing how lots of people were able to pull their portfolio off so well. I guess I'll see where it goes.. I mean, as much as I would love to take APW, I don't think I can pay for it However, by some luck, maybe there will be some chance to do it, but that luck seems pretty slim to none.

Yeah, I've been drawing and studying anatomy/perspectives a bit. I'm still no good, and doubtful, but I love drawing, so I hope I'll be okay

Some AF students did take APW also and got in. They say AF wasn't too much of a help for them, but I'll have to give my best on this.
    Last edited by Lycoris; November 6th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Thanks for this keke ><

Your tips assured me. Yeah I was feeling kind of down, seeing how lots of people were able to pull their portfolio off so well. I guess I'll see where it goes.. I mean, as much as I would love to take APW, I don't think I can pay for it However, by some luck, maybe there will be some chance to do it, but that luck seems pretty slim to none.

Yeah, I've been drawing and studying anatomy/perspectives a bit. I'm still no good, and doubtful, but I love drawing, so I hope I'll be okay

Some AF students did take APW also and got in. They say AF wasn't too much of a help for them, but I'll have to give my best on this.
    I think it depends on how much you try to look at the brighter side of things and apply what you have learned from all the seemingly unrelated bits of fundamentals class.

The school I currently go to has an art program that is apparently very similar to Sheridan's fundamentals program. Sure I have life drawing and painting and the helpful-towards-animation subjects, but I also had ceramics, sculpture, printmaking, photography, digital media, art history, and whatever that is under the sun of art.

In addition to all that I have my normal high school courses, can you say homework nuke? So happy that I finished all the required courses early so that anything I drop will just be an elective.

Anyway, that all seems wholly unrelated to what I intend to study but after I joined this art program, my drawing skills? They zipped all the way up! I got this huge spike of improvement, though I still am pretty bad due to the bad anime art stunt I had for a few years, ouch.

I won't say that everything unrelated helped improve the skillset I need for animation--I'm looking at you, photography/digital media/art history--but I feel it is good to understand those things too. Having the concepts of those things drilled in helped in pulling me way out of my comfort zone and gives me more to draw inspiration from. Again, I find a lot of improvement comes from being pulled right out of that comfortable, easy to tackle corner. Even if you are being pulled into very boring, unrelated-to-what-you-want-to-do things.

... I seem to enjoy writing whole essays on everything I post. Anyway, I'm off to study Voltaire's point of view on societal matters but I will boomerang right back into this thread once I have the time.

Thanks
    Yo guys, right now I'm looking for a place to stay in Oakville. It's kind of stressful right now since I got a lot of things going on in my life...*sigh*

But anyway, does anyone know any good place to stay? Somewhere preferably close to school? About $200-$400 approx? Girl roommates only?

Yeah, and good luck, y'all. I really can't wait to see some of my classmates

edit: I have checked that website where you find out renters and stuff.... just looking for some other options if they're here.

Thanks
    Hi everyone, I'm Michy. I'm new to conceptart and I've taken the apw, and I'd say it's well worth it. I just applied to Sheridan's Illustration and Animation program for 2012!

I'll be making two portfolios..

Are you guys going to the open house on Saturday?

Thanks
    edit: Well this whole week had me pretty stressed... but that was sort of an immature post. Anyway, I should've figured out more about the info than stressing out (shame on me ><). I'll look on the bright side; surely things will turn out alright as planned
    Last edited by Lycoris; November 16th, 2011 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMichy View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm Michy. I'm new to conceptart and I've taken the apw, and I'd say it's well worth it. I just applied to Sheridan's Illustration and Animation program for 2012!

I'll be making two portfolios..

Are you guys going to the open house on Saturday?
    Hello Michy ^_^
    Ooh, two portfolio's? Best of luck to ya (: I'm applying for the Animation program ^_^ Did you happen to go to the portfolio review day in Toronto a couple of weekends ago?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicnak044 View Post
    Hello Michy ^_^
    Ooh, two portfolio's? Best of luck to ya (: I'm applying for the Animation program ^_^ Did you happen to go to the portfolio review day in Toronto a couple of weekends ago?
    Hey!
    Yeah I feel a bit nervous. I hope I can successfully complete the two on time.
    Good luck with the Animation program! Did you start your portfolio yet? (:

And I did not go to the portfolio review day to be honest LOL. I felt unprepared.. Did you go?

Thanks
    Hey!
    Yeah I feel a bit nervous. I hope I can successfully complete the two on time.
    Good luck with the Animation program! Did you start your portfolio yet? (:

And I did not go to the portfolio review day to be honest LOL. I felt unprepared.. Did you go?
    I'm sure you can if you spend lots of time working on it, and not saving it last minute aha ;D
    Thanks! I did actually! I have the character part finished, my hands, 1 room drawing, 1 pet drawing, and a few extra pieces. I plan on re-doing them more then once though, just to keep improving and what not (:
    (Officially applying for schools on Thursday..so nervous x3 )

Ah, ya, I went (: Spent that whole week preparing and got there early at 9am, and waited for 3 hours until the doors opened lmao xD I spoke to one professor, Mark Mayerson, who teaches the animation class I believe, and he was very helpful telling me that I'm "In the ballpark" and all I need to really focus on is structure and anatomy. Plus I ended up meeting another guy I talk to on dA who is also applying for animation, along with his group of friends. They were all very nice ^_^ But ya, I'd say the day went very well and worth the wait ;D

Thanks
    Will anyone be going to Sheridan open house this weekend? I know I'll be there

Thanks
    I'll be at the open house! I have a lot of questions to ask. I'll be wearing a bright blue tuxedo sam backpack! If you see me, say hi? (:

I'm unsure of whether to go into animation or illustration. I feel kind of worried because my friends know which program they prefer, but I don't know which is right for me.
    Does anyone have experience in either of these programs or thoughts on this?

Thanks
    I'd go to the open house, but I've already been to last years, went to the portfolio review day thingy 2 weekends ago, and got a personal tour from an illustration student who happens to be my dads work friends son xD

But I plan on going in April for the spring open house..if I'm accepted that is.

Thanks
    I'm gonna be going as well!

Thanks
    Hey I had a few questions about Sheridan Illustration if anyone had the time.

First off is the tuition for the first two terms really $8500? That's quite a bit of money for me. I was wondering how your finding the program?

How much life drawing is available? Do most the students have the right attitude when it comes to there art? What kind of assignments are you doing in your first term?

If I were to go to school I would want to be around people that really care about there art have drive and really want to get better. Would I find that in Sheridan illustration? I went to this one school in my hometown for a year a few years back and no one gave a fuck about there art it seemed.

Thanks
    How does the workload in the Sheridan Illustration program compare to OCAD Illustration program?

Thanks
    I was also curious do you get to paint more in the illustration program?

I want to gear myself more towards entertainment design for movies and video games. As well as card art for Magic the Gathering. I want to teach myself how to depict things that don't exist as realistically as i can.

Thanks
    I'm in 2nd year interpretive illustration and overall it has been pretty good so far. This program does teach a lot of the techniques that goes into picture making and we do quite a lot of painting and working in different media. The main part of the program covers creating narrative image that tells a story or image that suggest meanings ,like an editorial illustration.
    I'd say if you want to really get good at painting you'd have to put in extra effort and self teach a bit of the technical part (perspective, anatomy etc) because it wasn't the main focus anymore after 1st year. There's extra life drawing everyday and extra life painting once a week and those are very helpful if you can go often

Thanks
    Thanks enrigo someone else said pretty much the same thing to me which is good, basically what I was expecting.

Thanks
    Did anyone get mail from Sheridan yet? I remember that they send you an ID and password for their website so you can download their animation portfolio package...

I didn't get anything in the mail, registered for this year quite a while ago too. Kinda worried I screwed up somewhere with the registration....

Thanks
    I haven't received anything in the mail yet either. You're not alone!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by enrigo View Post
    I'm in 2nd year interpretive illustration and overall it has been pretty good so far. This program does teach a lot of the techniques that goes into picture making and we do quite a lot of painting and working in different media. The main part of the program covers creating narrative image that tells a story or image that suggest meanings ,like an editorial illustration.
    I'd say if you want to really get good at painting you'd have to put in extra effort and self teach a bit of the technical part (perspective, anatomy etc) because it wasn't the main focus anymore after 1st year. There's extra life drawing everyday and extra life painting once a week and those are very helpful if you can go often
    Oh thank god, i found someone in second year to actually talk to.

What is the difference between interpretive illustration and technical.
    No one I have asked has given me a clear difference and I don't know what one to choose for next year :s TOO SOON

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whatami View Post
    Did anyone get mail from Sheridan yet? I remember that they send you an ID and password for their website so you can download their animation portfolio package...

I didn't get anything in the mail, registered for this year quite a while ago too. Kinda worried I screwed up somewhere with the registration....
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcaseley View Post
    I haven't received anything in the mail yet either. You're not alone!
    Hey you two, it might be a good idea to give Sheridan a call...

Thanks
    @jjcaseley and lycoris

Aha, yeah, I e-mailed them last night and they said they won't be receiving our applications until early December and won't be mailing stuff out until then.

Just a question, they are going to be mailing from the address we used on Ontario Colleges right?

Thanks
    I heard that starting next year, the two classes of Illustration: Interpretive and Technical, are merging together. So you get to pick the classes you want to take or something!
    I was told this at the open house on November. Pretty interesting!

Thanks
    I heard that starting next year, the two classes of Illustration: Interpretive and Technical, are merging together. So you get to pick the classes you want to take or something!
    I was told this at the open house on November. Pretty interesting!
    Hmm really? Cause when I asked the teachers they seemed to think we still had to choose o.o maybe we are the last year of students who have to choose between the two and those going into the program next year get to choose what courses they want to take.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Callykitty View Post
    Hmm really? Cause when I asked the teachers they seemed to think we still had to choose o.o maybe we are the last year of students who have to choose between the two and those going into the program next year get to choose what courses they want to take.
    Aahh yes! Sorry maybe I was unclear.
    People who are already in illustration follow the regular standards of choosing one of the two. The new illustration peoples of 2012 begin the new program of the merged classes.

Sigh~ I still don't know whether to go into animation or illustration. What's your experience of the illustration program so far..? O:

Thanks
    How does the workload in the Sheridan Illustration program compare to OCAD Illustration program?

Thanks
    Going back to the two that said they haven't gotten their email from Sheridan yet. I've applied for animation and fundementals and they haven't emailed me yet either. They said Dec.1st is when the emails will be starting to be sent out, which will include our ID number and access to the requirements and other important information. I can't believe how fast time is flying o.o I already have two universities who have noticed my application and have sent me my account names and passwords for their websites. Soon enough, we'll be getting actual acceptance letters o.o So crazy. It still feels like grade 9 was yesterday lol xD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whatami View Post
    @jjcaseley and lycoris

Aha, yeah, I e-mailed them last night and they said they won't be receiving our applications until early December and won't be mailing stuff out until then.

Just a question, they are going to be mailing from the address we used on Ontario Colleges right?
    Hm, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf808 View Post
    From what I've heard, OCAD is a bit 'artsy.' OCAD is geared more towards Fine Arts rather than Design, or so it goes :/

Page 177 of 267 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 227 ... LastLast