Sheridan Information Please! - Page 176
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 176 of 267 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 226 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,280 of 7997
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the encouragement.. I hope improvement comes in some form haha.

Huge thanks as well to you three for running the night without a model, I think everyone would have left after five minutes if you guys didn't show up.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nicnak044 View Post
    Hi there everyone
    I guess I better start with a quick introduction.
    My name's Niki, and I'm currently going into grade 12 starting on the 6th, and hoping to apply for Sheridan's animation program this fall :3

I've gone to an open house, and been toured by a student myself. I've also contacted a few students who are going into their first and second year of animation for extra info and tips, concerning the portfolio.

I was hoping to get some info from you guys too, I've been reading a bit of this forum, starting from 2009 (theres no way I'm reading the whole thing lmao) and I've gotten a lot of info already ^_^

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was if Digital Art (meaning photoshop drawings) are accepted for the 5 personal works. I've been told that yes, its fine, but I came across (here on this forum) that they prefer not to have it, and now that kinda freaks me out
    I've been doing digital art for 3 years, and I'd say its acceptable to be put into a portfolio, but I don't want to be docked marks or anything if I do

I'm really nervous about the life drawing part of the portfolio as well. I'm about a 20 min drive away from Toronto, and wondering if there are any classes nearby that I could take during a weekend in the fall, before holidays/etc. Oshawa area, anywhere there, even Toronto would be fine with me :3

Also, I'm may post a few WIPs on here, and quite possible reply back later through the year with my sketches, just to see if you guys have any advice for me.
    For now, my galleries are in my signature, I'd really appreciate if anyone could take their time to let me know what I should work on, if I have a good chance at getting into the program,etc.

Long post o.o Sorry about that ^^;

Thanks in advance!
    yeah ,, I wanted to ask if digital drawings are accepted for other stuff , like character rotation and room line drawing ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure those are to be kept traditional only. I haven't seen anyone post any digital works for room and character drawings.
    I think I'm just going to stick with submitting one digital piece for my 5 extra's, just to show I can use digital media as well as traditional.

I'm already getting started on life drawings, taking a class starting next week, I'm pretty excited, but nervous, since this will be my first time drawing a nude model lol.

Anyway, best of luck to ya if your applying! Its going to be a lot of work for us, but I'm sure it'll be worth it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, do you remember when the next try outs for the animation program starts? Going solo this year, so I don't have helpful teachers or classmates to remind me of important dates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm interested in taking the art fundamental program but i think it's going to be hard for me to get to school on time because i live in toronto. do any of you guys know if there is a schedule the starts later then 8am?

Last edited by mutedfaith; September 17th, 2011 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [B]Hello ! ..(Room for Rent, STEPS Away from SHERIDAN COLLEGE)

If anyone is looking for a (nice and clean, decent size) room to rent that is literally LESS than 5 minutes walking distance to the school , Send me a Private Msg!

It is right Behind the ARTS Department so, u dont even have to walk all the way around campus to get to class...its sooooo close. I need to move out by end of this month or sooner if possible...again PM me for more info. Thanks /B]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so instead of applying for Animation this year, I'm going to try for Art Fundies, mainly to improve my skills more and find out more about Ontario, the faculty, Sheridan stuff, etc.

Hopefully I can get in!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Okay, so instead of applying for Animation this year, I'm going to try for Art Fundies, mainly to improve my skills more and find out more about Ontario, the faculty, Sheridan stuff, etc.

Hopefully I can get in!!!
    Best of luck to ya! I'll be applying for fundies too, just in case I don't get into animation ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah good luck Nicnac!! Hope you get in to both of them~~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lycoris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just sending out a question to current Sheridan students...when do they start accepting applications for fall 2012?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ For animation? I heard that you can start applying for it this month. The portfolio hand-in.... I'm not sure. February or March??

Does anyone know when I'll probably start getting the Art Fundamentals acceptance notice? I've applied to it on September, but I'm not sure when they will let people know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ Yup, but I checked the site today and its still saying apply for September 2011 I'm guessing by the end of this month, or beginning of November that they'll start opening up for fall 2012 applications. The portfolio I know is to be handed in sometime in February, so I'm good there ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys I was wondering if anybody could name some pre collage courses to get into the sheridan animation course. Not too sure about the art fundies though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

question about art fundamentals

I have a question... Is it hard to get into art fundamentals? My senior grades were mediocre (I'm in my first year in university in a different country, where junior grades mattered, not senior ones -___-) so.. do most people who apply for art fundamentals get in? I'm super nervous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by paperquack View Post
    I have a question... Is it hard to get into art fundamentals? My senior grades were mediocre (I'm in my first year in university in a different country, where junior grades mattered, not senior ones -___-) so.. do most people who apply for art fundamentals get in? I'm super nervous.
    As far as I know if you are willing to pay you will be accepted into Art Fundies. I'm not quite sure how it works for international students though.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^

I'm not an international student per se, I got my high school diploma and am studying in a different country, but I'm actually a permanent resident in Canada, so I'll be applying as a Canadian student lol. Hopefully it'll work out.

Thanks for answering my question!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another Question

I suddenly have another question, haha.

If I get into and start Art Fundamentals this January, ending around August, would I still be able to apply for the Illustration Program of 2012, or would I have had to submit a portfolio the same time as everyone else (start of 2012)?

I was thinking I could use art fundies as a way to help out with my portfolio but I guess that won't be happening? ) And I'll just go for art fundies in september?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

If I get into and start Art Fundamentals this January, ending around August, would I still be able to apply for the Illustration Program of 2012, or would I have had to submit a portfolio the same time as everyone else (start of 2012)?

I was thinking I could use art fundies as a way to help out with my portfolio but I guess that won't be happening? ) And I'll just go for art fundies in september?
    Fundies, as far as I know, only starts in September and runs until April. You can apply to illustration this year without fundies (in March I think), but if you feel like you need fundies to get you into the program you'd have to apply for 2013.

And what I've been hearing from the people in my class who have taken art fundamentals, it's not the most helpful program to get you into illustration. The content is actually more structured towards animation than illustration. What does help though, is that you can meet people already in illustration who can talk to you and potentially help you with your portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there...I've been lurking these forums for a little while now and I have a few questions about Sheridan. Hoping someone can give me some information. I haven't done any art for a very long time (almost all of highschool)...recently I've been trying to get back into it and I would like to apply to Sheridan Art Fundamentals as a mature student (I will be 19 in june without a HS diploma) to build a portfolio and then hope to get into the BA of design or animation at Sheridan. I got a response back from Sheridan telling me that the AF program satisfies the academic requirements for the BA of design, but I didn't ask about Animation. On the sheridan site it says you can apply to Animation after one year of post secondary if you have the required courses. Does this mean just english 12 U OR english U AND 5 other U/M courses? Or does AF satisfy the academic requirements as well? Also how helpful might the AF program be in creating a portfolio for BA of design? I feel as if I am almost starting from scratch with my art again, so I feel like AF would be very beneficial. Thank you for any information! Appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn_ View Post
    Fundies, as far as I know, only starts in September and runs until April. You can apply to illustration this year without fundies (in March I think), but if you feel like you need fundies to get you into the program you'd have to apply for 2013.

And what I've been hearing from the people in my class who have taken art fundamentals, it's not the most helpful program to get you into illustration. The content is actually more structured towards animation than illustration. What does help though, is that you can meet people already in illustration who can talk to you and potentially help you with your portfolio.
    Actually, AF can let you in on September or January, so you can just apply for this January and hope to get in. I heard that Sheridan accepts almost anyone for AF as long as they're willing to pay up front.

If you start around Jan for AF, then you'll probably finish around next year's December (since there are two semesters).

You might not be able to apply for Illustration 2012, but the year after it (like Lynn said).

I heard that AF's not really helpful for some students who are gearing towards Animation, unless they feel that they're not ready or want to have some art college 'experience.' Or they might just want high marks there so that it might benefit them along with their portfolio. Also you get to know your profs and colleagues, so there's a bit of advantage there.

Animation Portfolio Workshop (I think that's what it's called) has got great reviews from former animation students, but the price for it isn't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ieva View Post
    Hi there...I've been lurking these forums for a little while now and I have a few questions about Sheridan. Hoping someone can give me some information. I haven't done any art for a very long time (almost all of highschool)...recently I've been trying to get back into it and I would like to apply to Sheridan Art Fundamentals as a mature student (I will be 19 in june without a HS diploma) to build a portfolio and then hope to get into the BA of design or animation at Sheridan. I got a response back from Sheridan telling me that the AF program satisfies the academic requirements for the BA of design, but I didn't ask about Animation. On the sheridan site it says you can apply to Animation after one year of post secondary if you have the required courses. Does this mean just english 12 U OR english U AND 5 other U/M courses? Or does AF satisfy the academic requirements as well? Also how helpful might the AF program be in creating a portfolio for BA of design? I feel as if I am almost starting from scratch with my art again, so I feel like AF would be very beneficial. Thank you for any information! Appreciate it
    You probably might get in, but they might make you do some tests as a mature student. They won't ask you any hard questions, but it's just to see if you have the basic knowledge and concept. Once you pass the test, you might be able to get in.

But I can't guarantee everything on this. The thing is, you might have to check with the school again since these issues get a bit tricky at times.

AF does seem to do the trick since the requirement just asked for two semesters of post-secondary education. I heard that AF used to be a requirement for Animation students, but they changed some rules so now it's like this.

AF might help you out with the marks. Basically they probably want to see if you've got the drive or not, so good marks might help with your portfolio. AF won't help you too much with technical skills for Animation, but you at least get to explore all kinds of art mediums and meet the profs and (future Animation) friends, so it might help you with it there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bonjour Sheridan peoples.. So I was originally living in a place that wasn't being kept up to standards, to put it mildly.

I was wondering if anyone had a spot available, or knew of any friends that were renting a place to live?

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you guys, for any students who took the fundies, what was it like? Was it easy, hard, stressful...? Was there a lot of work load? Were the teachers hard on you? Was it hard to get good marks? Did you guys get any help from the animation students?

All I'm hoping right now is to get into the fundies

I applied around the end of September for the January 2012 semester... I wonder when they'll give me the notice that I'm in or not?? Waiting is hard enough (lol impatience).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterknife View Post
    Bonjour Sheridan peoples.. So I was originally living in a place that wasn't being kept up to standards, to put it mildly.

I was wondering if anyone had a spot available, or knew of any friends that were renting a place to live?

Thanks
    Hey

the room is still available...
    I got your Private Message, but I cant send you one back, can you PM me your email so we can arrange for a viewing? thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone. I plan on going to that portfolio review this sunday down in Toronto. I believe its faculty of Sheridan and York that are willing to review and give advice on what you have done for their portfolios so far (Animation, illustration, etc). Is it worth going? Would it be of any help to me? And who else plans on going? (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My highschool art program decided to sell itself on the fact that their graduating class all applied to art fundamentals at sheridan and ALL of them got accepted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone. I plan on going to that portfolio review this sunday down in Toronto. I believe its faculty of Sheridan and York that are willing to review and give advice on what you have done for their portfolios so far (Animation, illustration, etc). Is it worth going? Would it be of any help to me? And who else plans on going? (:
    Definitely go to Sheridan's. Last year I went to them, they told me I probably wouldn't get into the program and it got me to really focus on the portfolio. They really do take the time to talk to you and give you some pointers, just get there early because the line will be fantastically long.
    But don't bother with York. They mainly look for 'fine arts' and they're complete jerks :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn_ View Post
    Definitely go to Sheridan's. Last year I went to them, they told me I probably wouldn't get into the program and it got me to really focus on the portfolio. They really do take the time to talk to you and give you some pointers, just get there early because the line will be fantastically long.
    But don't bother with York. They mainly look for 'fine arts' and they're complete jerks :/
    Oh awesome! I'll definitely go then. I think its great they are willing to tell you face to face whether or not you have a good chance at making it in, and like you said, it gets you focused a lot more (which I need atm xD I get so distracted! )
    Ugh, it bothers me how some university/ college representatives are such asses >:C I've already met and talked with a good chunk of them, and only a few were actually nice and helpful xD

Well thank you very much for replying, I'm very excited for sunday now aha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I'm going. But I'm nervous because I'm not sure how it all will work?
    Lynn, could you give us a run down as to what happens?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh awesome Beena! Maybe we'll run into each other xD (Although I doubt we will, there are going to be a ton of people there o.o ) Same here! But excited at the same time! xD I hope to talk to a few people while waiting in line. They could end up being future class mates aha ^__^

Yes, that would be great if you could Lynn, for us noobs of the college/portfolio experience x3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol wow I kind of feel special what is this xD

Basically the best advice I can give you is to go early. Like... a few hours early. My mom and I went around 8, 8:30 I think and we were pretty close to the entrance. One of my friends though, arrived about half an hour before and by that time the line was CRAZY long (like it was curving around this alley off of McCaul st. and looked like it was pretty close to Queen st.).
    Also, I don't know if you guys are going to apply for OCAD, but if you're not then go straight to Sheridan (they'll give you a map with all the schools). I went to OCAD first, and since I was closer to the front I didn't wait too long to actually see the representative, but I went to Sheridan right afterwards and the line took hours. Not joking it was crazy @_@ They only have one or two representatives for each department and they actually talk to you. Ya the lady did kick my butt, but she was super nice and told me people I could contact and gave me pointers on what they really wanted to see from the portfolio (I couldn't really remember any of it afterwards, but it was the thought that counts).

So take a friend or a family member, grab some Timmies and expect crazy long waits the entire day. Oh! And when you're actually presenting your work, just be natural. OCAD will ask you more personal questions about connections in your art, inspirations, whatever and just answer them to the best of your ability. Walk in like you're confident but not cocky I guess. Sheridan will most likely just flip through, and you can talk about certain pieces, but for me at least they didn't ask me too many questions about what I felt. It was more like my techniques and whatever.

But good luck guys, hopefully that's what you were looking for.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn_ For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 28