Sheridan Information Please! - Page 171
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 171 of 267 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 221 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,130 of 7997
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by donatello View Post
    Hey Guys ..
    Does anyone know how much costs are fees for the animation program for an international students ?!
    $21,464 CAD. :3
    Says it right here
    If you already applied and got accepted, it says in your fee invoice in the student centre.

Last edited by electricmelon; June 17th, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to electricmelon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacari View Post
    Boo, I can't believe I missed this post, I would've so been there
    lol it's okay, I probably should've posted it before the day of the event |"D Thanks though, it would've been awesome to see you there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey folks! I'm an animation student looking for room to stay in or a bunch of roommates to share an apartment with next year. I can't find anyone on 4students, so I'm kinda worried about this. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know!

My sketchbook. I'm always looking for critique, so please stop by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a few questions about the graduate program at Sheridan that I'm hoping someone can help me with (I tried asking the admissions office but I think I got an automated response).

They did tell me that a graduate certificate isn't the same as a masters degree. In that case, would it hold the same weight as the MFA if I eventually decided to get a job teaching? Does Sheridan have any kinds of programs available for animation students who want to learn more about working in the industry?

Sketchbook
    DevArt

The world is filled with people who were given great natural gifts, sometimes conspicuosly flashy gifts, yet never produce anything. And when that happens, the world soon ceases to care whether they are talented.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by etui View Post
    Hey folks! I'm an animation student looking for room to stay in or a bunch of roommates to share an apartment with next year. I can't find anyone on 4students, so I'm kinda worried about this. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know!
    I know EXACTLLY how you feel. I've e-mailed so many people on P4S and they either don't reply or something end up breaking the deal. I'm stressing because I feel like I'm not going to find something and I'll have to spend 4 hours a day on the GoTrain D: It would be a lot easier if I was willing to take a 12 month lease but I really only need a place for 8 months.. stresssssss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by K8Swagg View Post
    I know EXACTLLY how you feel. I've e-mailed so many people on P4S and they either don't reply or something end up breaking the deal. I'm stressing because I feel like I'm not going to find something and I'll have to spend 4 hours a day on the GoTrain D: It would be a lot easier if I was willing to take a 12 month lease but I really only need a place for 8 months.. stresssssss
    I have to up and move everything from Alberta to Ontario because I live on my own and have two cats D: I kinda wrote off the idea of a roomie because I was coming in with furniture and a mountain of stuff >< (and purring creatures!). Oakville and surrounding is really expensive >< and since I'm coming in with my entire apartment I decided to settle into Hamilton 'cause it was cheap and take the Go in and out (it takes me an hour to commute anywhere in Edmonton, so taking an hour to commute between Hamilton and campus didn't faze me - the apartment I'm going for is right by the GO station too).

If anyone's stuck, you don't mind the trip to and from Hamilton, don't mind cats, you want an animation roomie, I might be able to help out with some space!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! Because the thread is eight years old and I don't feel like reading through 172 pages, I hope you guys don't mind me posting questions.
    In September I will be a grade 12 student, so I will be applying for Sheridan's Illustration course this year. I have some questions about Sheridan in general (mainly portfolio stuff).
    1. What do the recruiters (right word?) like to see in portfolios? (i.e. what should I be focusing on?)
    2. What should I expect to get out of Sheridan?
    3. What are the estimated fees per year? (I checked the website, but I wasn't able to understand the actual costs)
    4. Would I be allowed to apply for Illustration and Art Fundamentals? (If I don't get into Illustration, I'd like to be able to do Fundamentals in order to build a stronger portfolio)
    5. What should I expect in the interview process?

I think this is all, I'll ask more questions later.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BeenaMistry View Post
    Hi everyone! Because the thread is eight years old and I don't feel like reading through 172 pages, I hope you guys don't mind me posting questions.
    In September I will be a grade 12 student, so I will be applying for Sheridan's Illustration course this year. I have some questions about Sheridan in general (mainly portfolio stuff).
    1. What do the recruiters (right word?) like to see in portfolios? (i.e. what should I be focusing on?)
    3. What are the estimated fees per year? (I checked the website, but I wasn't able to understand the actual costs)
    4. Would I be allowed to apply for Illustration and Art Fundamentals? (If I don't get into Illustration, I'd like to be able to do Fundamentals in order to build a stronger portfolio)

1. Focus on construction and accuracy in your drawings. They like to see lots drawn from life. If you look on their website you can see their portfolio requirements for various programs. I posted my illustration portfolio which got a score of 80 (which is fairly high I believe) in the Accepted Portfolios thread.
    2. I am going into first year starting in the fall, so don't know what it is like. That being said, I hope to learn lots and meet like-minded people. There also is apparently a lot of life drawing (yay!).
    3. I can't remember exactly, but I believe for illustration it is something around 8500$ per year?
    4. I think you are automatically accepted into Art Fundamentals, and lots of people do end up doing that if they fail getting into the Illustration or Animation programs.
    5. I didn't have to do an interview since I live in Ottawa, so can't say.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2. Check some of the grads and current students out for a better idea. I'm currently following Nimit Malavia, Bumble-boo.deviantart.com, Erin Mcphee, Jackie Musial, Jori B (btw his portfolio is still up if you'd like to get an idea of an almost 90 score portfolio) and a few other grads. If you check http://sheridanillustration.ca/ you'll find all of this years grad work (it's quite amazing *u*!) Also check out the sheridan deviantart page, it has a huge list of graduates.
    3. As Andrew said the tuition is about $8500, but when I went to the welcome day thing a 3rd year illustration student said you have to budget about $1800 per year in supplies (and that's on the cheaper side).
    4. Apply to both, it's a good backup.
    5. Honestly expect nothing. I was really disappointed in the interview process as there wasn't one at all :| You drop off your portfolio, wait for a few hours, go to an info meeting (which was quite fun actually!), wait some more, then pick your portfolio up. I was not... pleased to say the least :/

Best of luck to you and make sure you go to national portfolio day (if you live in the GTA). You'll find out more about it in September/ October but it was a really helpful experience !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, thank you to you both!
    I guess it's kind of a relief to me that there's no interview process, I am not good at speaking to others, haha.
    Speaking of life drawing, I live in Mississauga and despite doing extensive Google research, I am not able to find anything nearby that offers any sort of life drawing sessions?
    I know OCAD is having having them every Wednesday this summer. The problem is though that it's at night and because of my busy/overprotective/ parents I'm not sure if I would be able to attend at least one session. Even if I can get one session it, I'd still like to get as much experience as possible (I've never actually attended one before).
    If that's not possible I'll just continue drawing random students/friends at school.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it's kind of a relief to me that there's no interview process, I am not good at speaking to others, haha.
    Speaking of life drawing, I live in Mississauga and despite doing extensive Google research, I am not able to find anything nearby that offers any sort of life drawing sessions?
    I know OCAD is having having them every Wednesday this summer. The problem is though that it's at night and because of my busy/overprotective/ parents I'm not sure if I would be able to attend at least one session. Even if I can get one session it, I'd still like to get as much experience as possible (I've never actually attended one before).
    If that's not possible I'll just continue drawing random students/friends at school.
    Definitely try to go to some life drawing, the more the better. Besides being extremely useful for development, it is also lots of fun--one of my favourite things in the world. I would recommend also studying anatomy in addition to life drawing as it will help you immensely. Some good books are those by Bridgman and Peck's Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist.

A quick look at your sketchbook (which you should update!) shows that if you want to be accepted you will need to draw A LOT MORE than you currently do, because quite frankly your knowledge of perspective and representing form appears to be very limited (although it is admittedly hard to tell with so few images). Keep drawing, at least an hour a day, if not more.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I was the complete opposite, I really wanted to talk to one of the Sheridan representatives to at least get a feel of what they thought of my art x'D

Oh man I didn't even know that was running o: I'll have to grab a friend and go some time (maybe your parents would be more accepting if you have a few friends with you?). Drawing randoms in a local mall or at school is creepy as hell, but kind of fun at the same time. Probably the best option if you have no other way :'D

OCAD actually has portfolio clinics once a month starting in October and ending around February on Saturday mornings that run from like 10 - 4 or something like that. One of the clinics is specifically figure drawing and they teach you really quick poses to about half hour - 45 min poses. It's great if your parents won't let you go at night because you get a ton of time drawing and it's all during the day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted this yesterday but it didn't show up for some reason

Andrew Sonea: I'll keep that in mind, yes! Also, I don't update my sketchbook anymore. However, I do update my sketchbook contents at my tumblr regularly: http://beenamistry.tumblr.com/tagged/sketchbook

Lynn_: It would be nice to see how they'd feel about my art, but I feel that my lack of interviewing skills would decrease my chances of getting accepted haha.
    I was going to do one of the portfolio clinic sessions, but the fee put me off. Money is something I'm trying to conserve right now. But I will try something!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all,

I've been accepted into Sheridan for their Art Fundamentals program.. I'm looking for a place to live, if anyone has any idea of where I could look, or needs a roomie, that'd be great ! The only tool I know of is Places4Students, but that's all..

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to be attending Sheridan for illustration in September c:
    I applied last year but wasn't accepted to the program I wanted. I went to OCAD instead, but didn't like the program. Hopefully this year will be better.

As far as housing, there's tonnes of places in the area. If you don't want to apply for residence (which you should look into as well) you can rent a basement apartment, or just a room. Try the classifieds or online- there's plenty of websites like this: http://oakville.rentershotline.ca/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ebillan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that Ebillan ! Really appreciated.

I live in Saskatchewan, so I'm fairly far away.. So that basically means I'll have to just have blind faith, and rent a place without physically viewing it.. I'm scared x.x.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, that's a shame :c
    Fortunately Oakville is a really nice city, and most of the houses around Sheridan are nice as well, from what I've seen. I've even found and advertisement for a penthouse-type residences- it was four room apartment, with four students sharing it. I tried to find the advertisement for you, but couldn't remember where I got it from, sorry!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebillan View Post
    Ooh, that's a shame :c
    Fortunately Oakville is a really nice city, and most of the houses around Sheridan are nice as well, from what I've seen. I've even found and advertisement for a penthouse-type residences- it was four room apartment, with four students sharing it. I tried to find the advertisement for you, but couldn't remember where I got it from, sorry!
    That's okay ! If you ever come across it again, don't be afraid to send me a pm lol. Anything helps .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys) I was thinking about applying to Sheridan in the fall next year(Illustration). So are fees different for international students, and if yes, how much?

Last edited by ChaosTheory; July 2nd, 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if it varies from school to school, but it seems to me that for international students it's generally around $10,000 more. For some reason.

Edit!
    I found it for ya.
    "Tuition fees for students who attend on a student visa are $5,870 per term unless otherwise stipulated on your invoice."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Places4students is a great tool for finding roommates/a place to live.

Anyone currently going to summer extra life at sheridan? Or have any hard facts (which room, how much, which days, what time, etc.)? I find any and all information on the subject illusive.

sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, ya'll!

Made a thread about going back to Sheridan, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out! For more information, you can check it out here ---> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=224060

Cloverbell is offline I think I'm onto something! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I know your question has been answered already but I had something to say so... haha... here goes:

1. Your portfolio will be reviewed by a team of professors at Sheridan. They are not biased in the way they judge your work. They are completely focused on how your work will fit in with the demands of the program AT a first year level. I was told by Joe Morose (The co-coordinator of Illustration and 4th year drawing instructor) that the portfolio is a test to see if you will do well in the first year. Once you're in the program you can basically do whatever the hell you want with your art.

The score you receive is not a reflection of your talent. It's merely a way to tell if you are suitable for the program. Last year I applied, I got 60% but decided to go to VCA to pick up on courses I needed and improved my GPA. This year I applied and got 90%.

Usually your portfolio will be viewed by 6 or 7 people and they go through portfolios very quickly. That's why it is important to organize and categorize your portfolio in a logical flow.

Do not overload them with the same kind of imagery. Be diverse, show them experimentation, research, still life painting studies, figure drawings, landscape, architecture. Big things they want in landscape drawing is that you understand "depth" and "perspective" and have no problems in demonstrating it.
    Be loose and expressive.

Don't try to be a machine and produce perfectly rendered images. It's not that you aren't allowed to create beautiful photo real renderings (you will once you get into the program) however for a portfolio they want to see expression, immediacy and control over a medium you choose. This is very important in the Drawing Test.
    Same goes for anime and stuff like that, I've seen people in the program draw manga in the halls. It's just the portfolio you are not allowed to show it... just follow the instructions and no harm can be done to you.

Do not give them giant portfolios or giant canvas boards. Don't give them loose bits of paper or art varying in sizes. All these things annoy professors. Remember there are a handful of people going through your portfolio in a matter of minutes AND there are over 500 people just like you dropping off portfolios. Professors will not have time to look at everything you put in *IF* you do not come prepared.

4. Simple answer is yes. If you don't make the academic requirements or your score is too low they will suggest you go into VCA or Fundies. Another tip I learned from Joe Morose is that nearly 60% of students from Fundies or VCA (who apply) get into Illustration or Animation every year. The remaining 40% are those from high school or have other experiences.
    Be aware this is a competitive program.

If you do get into Fundies DO tell your professors about your goals. They want to help you. I see so many students fail their portfolio assessments due to them being arrogant. Step outside of yourself and listen to your professors. If your prof is a douche, then see someone who's not a douche.

Well I hope all of this mumbo has helped. Good luck!

Last edited by Cloverbell; July 6th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
    My blog: 1andlove

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloverbell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloverbell View Post

The score you receive is not a reflection of your talent. It's merely a way to tell if you are suitable for the program. Last year I applied, I got 60% but decided to go to VCA to pick up on courses I needed and improved my GPA. This year I applied and got 90%.
    I just wanted to second that the score really is not be all and end all of how well you'll do in the program. Basically, if you make it in you're good enough.
    I got around a 57 (ouch...) on my portfolio last year, freaked out all summer about "not gonna be good enough, AHHH!" I pulled off a 3.7 GPA in my first year, go figure.

Cloverbell is offline I think I'm onto something! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacari View Post
    I just wanted to second that the score really is not be all and end all of how well you'll do in the program. Basically, if you make it in you're good enough.
    I got around a 57 (ouch...) on my portfolio last year, freaked out all summer about "not gonna be good enough, AHHH!" I pulled off a 3.7 GPA in my first year, go figure.
    Obviously. I needed to get the academic requirements before starting the program. Even if your portfolio score was high enough you cannot start the program until you fulfill the academic requirements. This is the difference between a "Firm Admit" and a "conditional offer."

Firm means you pass both portfolio and academic requirements, conditional means you need to get certain courses completed with an overall average of 65% before the offer expires. Normally people in Art fundies got those requirements. The year that I took fundies (3 years ago), the program changed since I last attended and therefore leaving me with missing courses that I've never took before. I couldn't get the courses I needed during the summer so I had to take VCA. Therefore I had to improve and submit again. Some people may not have the high school requirements and this is the alternative way of getting accepted into the program, so its not all that straight forward.

Last edited by Cloverbell; July 7th, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
    My blog: 1andlove

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question about the 300$ deposit to hold your spot in the course. Does anyone know exactly how, or where you're supposed to send this payment to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterknife View Post
    I have a question about the 300$ deposit to hold your spot in the course. Does anyone know exactly how, or where you're supposed to send this payment to?
    The easiest way to do that would be through online banking or to go into your financial institution and make the payment. You make the payment out to Sheridan college and the account number would be your student number. It was actually a lot easier then I thought it would be haha >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloverbell View Post

1.Don't try to be a machine and produce perfectly rendered images. It's not that you aren't allowed to create beautiful photo real renderings (you will once you get into the program) however for a portfolio they want to see expression, immediacy and control over a medium you choose. This is very important in the Drawing Test.

4. Simple answer is yes. If you don't make the academic requirements or your score is too low they will suggest you go into VCA or Fundies.
    1. In other words, I should demonstrate that I have a basic understanding of human anatomy and perspective?

4. What is VCA?

That is a lot of helpful information you've given me, thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VCA stands for 'visual and creative arts'.

Here's a link to the course description; http://www.sheridancollege.ca/Progra...ve%20Arts.aspx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebillan View Post
    VCA stands for 'visual and creative arts'.

Here's a link to the course description; http://www.sheridancollege.ca/Progra...ve%20Arts.aspx
    Okay, thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 28