Sheridan Information Please! - Page 107

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 107 of 267 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 157 207 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 7997

Thread: Sheridan Information Please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Btw, congrats everyone on another year, anyone around this summer?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey endregan,

thanks for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by endregan View Post
    hey mokad - a lot of graduates of the computer animation program are individuals who go through illustration, or the animation 4 year program, and then take the computer animation to get a focussed portfolio.

I am not sure of any demo reels or portfolios on the web but I know a couple of people who have been through computer animation.

Depending on what you are looking for, if you have no experience in post secondary art education, i suggest taking some classes before you take a year of computer animation, because it is one of those programs where you need that skill set before you enter.
    I am planning to either get an advanced diploma in visual/creative arts at sheridan or BFA at York University before applying to Sheridans' Computer Animation program...that's why i was asking for a few years down the road. Basically i just want to get a feel of what kind of work is up to par with those who are accepted into Computer Animation...

So you know of some ppl? Do you by chance have access to the type of work they submitted to get into Computer Animation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    65 illustration portfolio score and on the waiting list. so close, going to call tomorrow and check the wait list.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    n3gative: I hate being so close (I got the same score as you XD)!
    I found out I'm lucky #9 on the waitlist (out of 22) so I think my chances are pretty slim.
    though they would go up significantly if I just knew where some of the people who got in lived... heh heh. j/k j/k.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've done some research on this prior, but I thought I'd ask here anyway. I'll be attending Sheridan again this September for Illustration but I'm getting a little weary with my decision of the program over Animation.

I chose Illustration because I felt that, even though I do enjoy some animated films, I'm drawn more toward illustrations (graphic novels, detailed digital/traditional paintings, etc.) The Korean illustrator Hyung-Tae Kim inspires me a lot, and is one of my inspirations. I remember purchasing the game Magna Carta:Tears of Blood for his character illustrations alone. The game itself was subpar (story and battle system-wise) in my opinion, but it's the artbook that still captivates me even now. Anyway reasons like this are why I chose Illustration over Animation.

A problem I have though is that I am looking to get into the gaming industry as one option, and I'm wondering if I still can with Illustration? The main types of things I'd love to be involved with in the gaming industry would be texturing, environments, maybe some modelling and possibly concept design.

I have some other job options in mind as well after graduation (and perhaps taking the Computer Animation graduate program afterward), but I was just wondering what other job opportunities are out there besides illustrating childrens books and editiorial illustrating, that are better suited to my interests.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey liquid, hope i can help somewhat, seeing as i had the same question throughout my first year at illustration here.
    I think first of all that both ilustration and animation are what you make of them. In illustration at least, no one is really gonna guide your hand through the whole process of getting where you wanna be (concept art), soyou gotta motivate yourself andget what you need out of the program.
    At the beginning of the year i had the exact same dillema as you, I looked at interpretive illustration and saw little past constant pressure toward books and editorial illustration, with only the occasional exception where someone went in a different direction such as conceptart. Im also interested in learning texturing, enviroments, modelling and especially concept design, and i saw that interpretive illustration, as well as animation weren't quite what i was looking for (animation DOES have an awesome layout class, but ive found that the vast majority of the workload is not the kind of work im interested in).
    Anyway, unto my point, i think you should be able to find what youre looking for in the technical/scientific strand of illustration that is the second option in the second year of illustration. Its where im going next year, so im not 100% sure of it all, but ive talked to a lot of professors teaching the program, and they were all willing to modify their projects to suit concept design. On the scientific side, alongside the biology stuff that im less interested in, we also go very deeply into anatomy of humans and animals, with the teacher telling me that we'deventually be allowed to design our own creature's anatomies and such rather than just use existing animals. On the technical side of things the prof also told me that he's taking the course on a more conceptdesign sort of level. The technical side includes things ranging from media studies (pure technique and search for realism in rendering) to classes including industrial design,architectural design and includes learning a lot of 2D and 3D software to get there. So as far as i have gathered, this strand seems to be a lot more open to the concept design side of things, and really includes most aspects of design except character design, but personally i figure thats an area im more confident in learning on my own time and personal projects.
    Hope this helped somewhat, i dunno if i just rambled on for no reason again.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally agree with greensock on that one.

Recently I started up a forum specifically for illustrators and friends of sheridan for content that we can relate to.

http://www.creativerepublic.ca/

I suggest you join and start posting up images, and critique eachother. Whether you are in illustration now, applying, or maybe you just go to sheridan and have another perspective to offer, its all fair game.

And why not build something good over the summer that will be an awesome resource for many years to come. This is where you guys come in, to make it work you guys should be active participants!

I normally dont like advertising this stuff but its a good spot to reach all you guys on the web and why not right here in the good ol' sheridan thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coolio! But why just illustrators? the animators need loving too!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info SirGreenSock. I'm still not so sure about the Technical/Scientific side of Illustration either, though. I guess this is why I'm going through such an uneasy state right now. When I was in Art Fundamentals I didn't really enjoy the technical drawing stuff as much as some of my other classes, and I fear I'll be very overwhelmed and bored in technical/scientific. I can deal with doing a bit of technical drawing, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Perhaps I'll change my mind though, I don't know. I have a year to think about it anyway, I suppose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sock! its not just for illustrators, but it is made by and a lot of content is geared towards illustration, however animators are our friends and therefore are more than welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa whoa whoa whoaaaaa WHOA!!

animators and illustrators friends?
    I was told we were locked in an eternal battle for glory and that illustrators are the devil and that they killed my parents 20 years ago, and yall are telling me we are friends?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

Thats cool, im down with that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, Liquid, I had the exact same problem as you a couple months ago!! I was losing sleep over it and freaking out to my parents (I'd hit Confirm for Illustration at that point and was really set on taking Technical), but I eventually chose Animation for a couple of reasons, which I won't get into now. However:

I think the important thing is to separate the PROGRAMS of Illustration and Animation from the CAREERS. People seem to think that taking one program over another will lock them into their destiny forever, but in reality, it's just a means to an end. There are a few things you could consider when making tyour decision, though, if you haven't done so already (I don't know how much research you did yourself so I'ma gonna throw what I know out there):

-Look at student work from both programs. If one program seems to be putting out more of the kind of things you'd like to see yourself doing, this might be an important factor. Have you seen anything that caught your fancy?

-I have friends going into Illustration, and we've decided to pool our notes in an attempt to "cross-pollinate" our educations from both programs. If you have connections like this, you might want to consider them.

-Video game concept art is not about making good-looking pictures (reiterated by the Art Director of Silicon Knights, a video game developer). It is about designing objects that can be moved around in three dimensions, that are FUNCTIONAL as well as aesthetically consistent. Meaning you have to be able to break down an object in order to see how it works, or how it would work if it actually existed. So you can't just draw a neat-looking ray gun, you have to draw it from all angles, show the inner mechanics, and how it physically works in that world. Technical Illustration would definitely help with that.

-It's quite possible to become an illustrator after taking Animation (my goal!). Jeff Smith, creator of the massive graphic novel Bone, was an Animator. I know a few people in Animation who have jobs doing comic book covers. Doug TenNapel (Earthworm Jim) is an amazing comic book artist. In fact, a lot of the Sheridan animators' work I've seen is very Illustrative, in terms of digital and traditional technical artistry. Another reason to check out student work.

-Illustrators (in the career sense, not students in the program) do everything from greeting cards, safety pamphlets, creature design, concept art (Pixar's concept art in particular is extremely "illustrative"), comic books, television advertising, textbooks, movie posters, video game art, NASA blueprints, and beyond. Sheridan's animation program, when it isn't teaching you how to animate, is actually illustration. All illustration is, is an image with a point. Animation is connected with illustration in a lot of strange and disturbing ways, so GreenSock is right when he says that a lot of what you want to do will come from yourself and not the program.

-Comic books/graphic novels and digital painting are largely self-taught ventures, from what I can tell of the people who excel at them, and I'm not sure either program will give you more or less of an advantage in those particular fields. In terms of texturing and environments... I know you have to create environments in Animation, but in terms of computerized rendering, I don't know to what extent that is taught. Maybe Action Ape has the answer to that one...

-Do you actually like animating? There are students in the program who hate animating with a firey passion. It's not a hyuuuge part of the program, but it is one of the classes. If you really like to just sit down and spend a lot of time on one awesome looking drawing, that's what they do in Illustration, if you don't mind sloshing about with a lot of different kinds of media. I think they do more drawing in Animation than painting, with the exception of backgrounds. Can I get some confirmation on that?

___

I realize that was a lot of information, maybe 15% of which was actually helpful, but I'm still trying to figure things out for myself as well and rambling to other people is a good way of making it appear as though I'm not talking to myself... Anyone who wants to disagree with what I've said is welcome to, as I'm just fresh out of Fundies and this is all based on hearsay and observation. More information about what I'll be getting into come September is greatly welcome to!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everybody.

I've been lurking around here for a while, so I thought I'd finally say hello.

I'm taking Art Fundamentals in September, thinking about trying to get into Illustration if all goes well. I figured I'd try out with Fundies for a year and get my footing.

Just wanted to say that this thread has been really helpful for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info Misericord! It really was helpful, and put me at a bit of ease anyway.

I was under a lot of stress trying to figure out what program I wanted to take and it came down to meeting up with a relative of mine who completed Sheridan's Classical Animation diploma program back when it was around. He told me it was extremely character driven' with not enough emphasis on other aspects of animating (I don't know how much this has changed since it merged with Computer Animation though). He stressed that he wished he had taken Illustration instead. This geared me away from Animation because our interests seem to be similar in terms of the commissioned Illustration work he showed me.

I love making that one standalone picture, and am less interested in animating. I feel though, that 2D animation would be a good skill to have, at least to get into the video gaming industry. I've seen some work that's come out of the illustration wing and I was floored by the traditional painting skills. I really want to improve in that area, and take that traditional painting knowledge and apply it on my own time to digital painting works. I intend to create graphic novels after as well, most of which I realize will be study on my own part. I plan to study Maya and 3DMax on my own as well, as I'm thinking of the Computer Animation graduate program afterward (is there any classical 2D Animation work in this program? I searched in the course descriptions but couldn't find much info on the subject)

I'm still thinking of going the Interpretive route for Illustration (I saw pictures taken by kennygeeze here I believe, from a student show I'm not sure from which year, and the Interpretive work seemed very interesting to me, something I'd love to do and take part in, mostly in the character/painting area) but I'm wondering if it's possible to perhaps pick up some Technical stream assignment sheets or things like that, so I can improve in that area on my own time as well? I also wonder if it's at all possible to take some kind of 2D Animation course while studying Illustration, even if it's on the side and no credit will be given, I don't even care I just want a broad range of skills to get to where I want to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm wondering if it's possible to perhaps pick up some Technical stream assignment sheets or things like that, so I can improve in that area on my own time as well? I also wonder if it's at all possible to take some kind of 2D Animation course while studying Illustration, even if it's on the side and no credit will be given, I don't even care I just want a broad range of skills to get to where I want to go.
    Im sure if you get a buddy in technical you can easily exchange notes and knowledge and stuff, i fully intend on keeping up with what the interpretive strand is up to. If nothing else the technical profs i talked to so far are damn nice, and i see no reason why they wouldnt offer some degree of help to ya.
    I also talked to the head dude guy about taking additional courses like an animation course on the side, and he said that although its possible, it would be extremely costly (though he didnt say the exact price, im gonna have to harass him some more) because your tuition covers all the courses together, and you'd need to pay the cost for that one course.If the price is anything like the nightclass courses you can take, the price is likely between 600-1200 bucks per year or semester?.

Bytheway, i was also real sceptical about going technical until a month ago, i was certain that i'd be going interptretive. Even now im certain that technical will be suicide in the first semester at least, but thats part of why im going for it.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good advice being exchanged here, I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you like painting, and want to do illustrative painting or portraiture, interpretive is definitely the better route.

Technical is however going to start incorporating more conceptual design work, which is a new development and I think will be exciting to see where it goes.

If you haven't been to the Sheridan Grad show yet, go now. Its open until Saturday. http://www.sheridanheadlines.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeeeey Everybodyyyy Sheridan's Open House is today! Anyone coming? Anyone still in Oakville? If not, i wish everyone a great summer, lotsa money and to see you all again in Oakville next year ;*

P.s. Ape i have two apes for you. BEWARE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    question for anyone: how many people are usually accepted from a wait list for the illustration program?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick! Who was at the animation thang during the open house?

Anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mean the little black room where they were screening the fourth year films? I was there... for brief moments in time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naw I missed that part unfortunately.

I meant the largeish white room wherein we were lectured on the program and whatnot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now that it's summer.. i've been looking for things to do.. trying to come up with a good name for a blog to post pages of my journal/sketchbook thingy i just started.. 400 pages to be filled up by the end of the summer.. hopefully sooner is my goal.. and i remembered this little place called conceptart.. working 5-6 days a week isn't keeping me busy enough, apparently.. and this will be a good place to wander off to after i get home from the afternoon shift.. hope summer's going well for everyone.. i'm gonna be in oakville almost every weekend - i figure if i'm paying rent i might as well use the place a bit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't wait to start in september! I've gotten my osap loan estimate and it's looking really good. Time to practice all summer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Dark View Post
    Can't wait to start in september! I've gotten my osap loan estimate and it's looking really good. Time to practice all summer.
    what will you be taking?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by amarryth View Post
    what will you be taking?
    Art Fundies! I am so excited about it too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn i remember waaaaaaaaay back when i was stoked about taking art fundies. ahhhh memories *tear*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Action Ape View Post
    damn i remember waaaaaaaaay back when i was stoked about taking art fundies. ahhhh memories *tear*
    Haha, yeah... I was also excited when I first got in animation.. *sigh*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, another art fundies student. I'm getting pretty pumped to move out to Ontario (I'm a Deadmontonian) in August. Still have to find a place, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bleh, I'm on the waitlist, and I keep trying to ask admissions if I've moved up at all, and they are so unhelpful
    does anyone know how many people get in off the waitlist? do I have any chance? (I'm #9 so... things aren't looking too great.)

Page 107 of 267 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 157 207 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 22