Sheridan Information Please!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 267 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sheridan Information Please!

I am in my last year of high school and I want to get into the Art Fundamental Program at Sheridan College.

The requirements is just english U Or C. So I was wondering, does it matter what english I take, and i am fully capable of doing U level but should I waste my time with it or does it matter? I took college level but I can take U if its necessary... ?

It also doesnt say if i have to make a portfolio to submit, which i think is pretty standard isnt it? what type of portfolio or what do we have to do to get info fundies?!

another question. for my first year will it be possible to get residence? i hear theres only like 350 spots.. O_O!

i was wondering, after fundies I can go into Illustration courses there am I correct?

Anyone who could help me out that would be great thanks!

OCAD____-

I went to a pres at our highschool on OCAD and I was wondering, they require U level english for a basic level course. Now I dont see why you would need this, but if I must I will take it -_-. Pretty pointless, I do well in english but U level last year consists of pure essays and such, so how would that help me a lot in Fundamentals or am I just ignorant .

So is OCAD any good ?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to endregan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok I am going to try to answer everything...

No they aren't going to care which level english you take, just get a good grade in whatever you do take and learn as much as you can. its only to your benefit.

Art fundamentals = no portfolio. That is the idea of the course. To make a portfolio for the next year, they try and get you the broad base of skills so you will be a solid animator/illustrator/whatever. Graduate high school, apply early and you will almost for sure get in. I know people who haven't gotten in to fundies but its like a fluke. There are 600 people in the program. compareed to 100 for each year of animation and illustration.

Residence- no you probably won't get into residence. If you are a first year though, that is an advantage, so all you can do is apply and hope. They are nice residences and it would be nice to be RIGHT at school instead of the 1 mile walk I have to get there and the fact I hate some of my roomates but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Being on your own is cool, so if you don't get into res, start looking for a place close by. There are a ton of places and different living situations find one you really like and get it. Don't settle on some crappy basement that is full of mice and your landlady is an 80 year old germ-o-phobe. There are some weird stories about stuff like that.

getting into illustration - no you can't just start taking classes in illustration. You have to do the exact same thing as everyone else. Submit an application and a portfolio and fight for one of the 100 spots or so in the program. The advantage you have is that you have teachers that will help you get ready for it and all the opportunities in the world to get to the level you need to be at to get into illustration. A lot of people that go into fundies can't get to that level in one year. I know quite a few who got in the next year though. sometimes the classes in fundies even feel like they are keeping you AWAY from making the killer portfolio you need. Don't let that fool you, most of the stuff is quite important and you should be glad they make you do some lame stuff. and I digress...

I think you should definitely take a trip to Sheridan and to OCAD and talk to some people. Find out what it is EXACTLY that you want to get out of school, then find out if that school can give that to you.

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply!

yeah I was wondering about the portfolio!! I guess Ill apply whenever I am able to... Just hope its soon enough. Sounds like a good course though! Residence would be my biggest concern most likely, at least for first year!

I will have to talk with my teachers and see what they think and my parents too.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in art fundamentals this year (I didn't get into residence either)

I was something like 298 on the waiting list and I've only met a few people who even live in the residence. (there aren't that many spots)

Truth be told, there are nicer places you can find not that far from the school for less money than a residence room.

I live about a 25 minute walk from the school in a townhouse with 3 other guys.
    The landlord who owns the house lives in another city and rents the rooms out to students.
    The good part about living here is I don't have to pay a fee to have a guest spend the night or whatever like you would in residence.

Also, sheridan residence has a closed door policy. If you don't know what that is, don't worry about it, but if you do it might make you reconsider going there.... as is the case with a couple people I've met.

What else? Oh yeah... when you start off in fundies try to go to as many figure drawing classes as often as possible right off the bat... the worlkload tends to pile up after a while and you'll find you'll be less eager to attend lifedrawing afterschool during the latter months of the semester than you would be right at the begginning.

And sheridan residence kicks you out for Christmas break (almost a month long). I can live hear during Christmas if I wished to... that's an awful long time to be going back home for
    :beer:

Anyways, good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey that sounds good.

so its a sure bet if i apply as early as i can i get in?

then all i have to worry about is where im going to live!!!

i will hopefully get in and then ill have to look around to room up with some peoples. i hope my brother goes to the same school, we could get a place.

how much does it cost/month to live there and whats the living conditions like. Thanks a lot!

p.s. i would have to find a job as well wouldnt i? to pay the rent money!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah tuition is probably best

I was thinking of going internationally but thats twice as much, and already tuition in the U.S. (Like NY) and such is SOOO much. its just out of the question!

Sheridan is probably my best bet!

Perhaps Atelier later on ? Not sure!!

We shall see. Im going to try and apply to illustration but I figure hundreds of people already skilled in life drawing may get in. who knows, worth a shot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say try for Illustration, just work hard before application time. Sheridan is probably my best shot as well since not many other Ontario schools offer anything that seems worth the money or time. Also international options are way too costly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd also recommend applying to illustration.

The requirements are alot more difficult compared to most of the highschool art projects I endured. They really put you to the test.

Also, if you do bring your portfolio in for evaluation (instead of mailing it) it's quite the experience.
    I'll be there on evaluation day this year. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Just applied to sheridain last week. For illustration and fund to.

I have a question for people who have applied. What are the portfoilio req? I have some stuff here, but i emailed a while ago and they said there are specific portfolio requirements. i take i want for more info?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The requirments change every year.... minimally. I got mine mailed to me last year a couple weeks before the start of February.

I'm pretty sure portfolios are due March 1st or somewhere around then so they mail out al the requirements at the same time so everyone has an equal amount of time to complete the stuff.

I might be able to actually post last years?
    I can see about going to find it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds good...

only hard part is finding where to live haha

im going to apply to fundies and illustration.

I also hear OCAD is a good school, but I tend to hear people lean towards Sheridan more?

anyhow thanks for the responses!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just went to the Sheridan Campus today.

It was awesome. Pretty large place compared to my highschool haha.

I toured around a lot of the place. Saw some art, recognized one of the pieces by someone here on CA, was a womans back with a freaky face. Ive seen it on here before!

Anyhow, it was an awesome experience. I cant wait to apply and go from there.

I know Ill be seeing some of you at Sheridan next year. Dont be shy, cuz I know i am .

If you havent gone yet do, it gives you a better idea of whats going on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

why don't you try for animation?

we don't only animate something, but also
    we learn painting, life drawing, lay-out and storyboarding.

i don't think we produce crappy art works...

and
    we really have fun and learn many things at the same time.
    if you already did school tour, i think you know what i mean.

there're many good designers in animation, and some of
    them are really into design stuffs, and i know
    many people want to end up in the game industry....
    so..think about it.

i have a question for illustration students.
    does anyone know why kerry-kim, who used to teach
    third year life drawing, got kicked out?
    i think kerry kim is one of the best life drawing teachers you can get in ontario.....i'm just wondering why...is it becasue of
    school politics?

Last edited by moodumjiki; December 20th, 2003 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i'm taking Art Fundies too ^_^ so who here is taking art fundies this yr? I'm in AF16 and so far art fundies is pretty good, tho its harder than i expected (in terms of work load)

And to endregen, its not hard to get into art fundies so don't sweat it too much. i remember me last yr thinking i wouldn't get it w/ an 85 in english U. was i wrong

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flipmode, I was in AF18 this year. But since af18/17 won't exist this coming semester I'll be shoved into another class..... most of my teachers are different as well. I dunno if I'm too pleased about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that really sux for you man =x so what's ur schedule like now? mebbe ur in my class now. btw what r u applying to next yr?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I applied to illustration and animation for next year... hoping for illustration.

From what I remember my schedule is like this... monday off. and then tuesday at 8:00am I have eric for painting and then right after Megan w for drawing.
    Hehe, does that match up with yours?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are those ur only classes? did u take fundies last yr? my schedule is friday off (had to change it for work reasons) mon. i hv art hist. and 3d design, tues. i hv 2d design, wed. painting and drawing, and thurs. imaging systems.

You hv Eric for painting? my class is right beside his at the same time. I hv bobbi instead and i don't like her. Eric seems like such a better painting teacher.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah, I just posted part of mine to see if it matched up with yours. I still have all 6 art fundies classes

hmmmm, I'd almost rather have friday off than monday. My original schedule was alot better though.... monday and tuesday off... and they doubled classes the rest of the week, everyday ending before 3:00.
    I'm a little pissed that alot of my time-table overlaps with the open lifedrawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that seriously sucks!! mebbe u can change some of the days somehow. ur old schedule was really good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I live in the US, but have heard of Sheridan and came really close to applying, the expense seems prohibitive though. Does anyone here know of any comparable schools here in the US? (Especially for animation)

-Jas

Jason Soares
    Daily Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think there's some school in California or something that is the main competition to Sheridan's animation program. Anyways you should apply neways bc you never know, you could get in. btw how old r you? if you're still in high-school it's REALLY hard to get in the first try unless you have really extensive art skills in realism and life drawing, bc that's what they emphasize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes well ive applied to several different places including Sheridan and Ocad. Well see how it goes!!

I havent done english yet (next semster), so the silly colleges (Senecas for example) start sending mail that i have to take an english test even though i got 90 in gr 11 university and am taking gr 12 unv next sermester.... and i have to pay, make an appointment and take a test.
    can u say money grab? what bs is that!

does sheridan and ocad make you write english tests as well?

i find this ridiculous..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sheridan doesn't.

I know I had to do an english test for centianal college or something.... even though I didn't end up going.

They said I needed 70% or abvoe to not take the test... and that's what I got... called and told them to cancel my appointment. They said I'd have to take the test anyways for placement purposes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I found that to be silly. I didnt really want to go to Seneca, was just an extra option just in case!

I got a letter from Sheridan for art fundamentals so far, and one from fanshawe and of course, seneca. That english test is pretty silly, and it is costly and timely.

So I don't have to go or take the test if i don't want to? I dont want to go to Seneca..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't get accepted to art fundamentals at sheridan then something must be messed up on their end.... as in I haven't heard of anyone who gets declined.
    Anyone with the potential of getting a highschool diploma upon leaving highschool that year that is....

My highschool art program decided to sell itself on the fact that their graduating class all applied to art fundamentals at sheridan and ALL of them got accepted.

Another point to prove that as long as you apply early you pretty much get accepted. It seems like since you've already gotten a letter from sheridan, then you don't have alot to worry about. Just keep drawing and keep those highschool marks at a comfortable level so you don't lose any credits for silly reasons.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey People

I want to go to Sheridan, but I am afraid that they wont take me because my highschool marks are BAD

Will they take me if I have a good portfolio?

I Am Colorophobic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wizard. art fundies has nothing to do with portfolio. u make your portfolioin that class.

unfortunately it relies on your best marks!

ive got that covered though !

thanks kenny geeze. at least one place is a probably

still need to make a portfolio for OCAD though..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its porfolio time.

Wow just when I thought I was busy with exams...now I have a month to do a portfolio!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I remember that happened to me as well this past year when I applied to illustration out of highschool.

Luckily since I'm at the college the work lets up a little around portfolio time.

If you have any questions about the requirements I can probably answer them for you... however, as I am applying myself I probably wouldn't as be as knowledgeable as someone actually in the program.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to kennygeeze For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 267 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13