Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Care to help my research?

Thanks

Question Care to help my research?

Hi, my name is Tim van der Rest, I'm 17 years old, and I've been lurking around for quite a few years, and even posted a little, now and then.

Anyway, I'm in middle school/ high school in The Netherlands, and I'm doing my thesis about Video Games and Art, or more specifically, the developement of the visuals in gaming.

I'll discuss the technical advances, the discussion 'Are games art?', and some other things as well, but also certain trends that have appeared over the history of videogamedesign ( as in characters, environments and, overall themes ) and that's where I could use a little expert help.

So if any pro's out here could help me out, maybe with an interview of some sort, or just a reply with your thoughts on this would be great!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks,

Tim van der Rest/ Limo
    Last edited by Limo; September 23rd, 2008 at 03:47 AM.
    I could float here forever...
    Click for sketchbook ;D
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm going to take my finger off the snark button for a second.

To answer your question, Duh. (Yeah)

Also, these things rarely turn out well.
    Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxser View Post
    To answer your question, Duh. (Yeah)

Also, these things rarely turn out well.
    My question was help from professionals out there, and I don't see how you would answer such a question with yes or no. I think you mean the 'Are games art?' bit, but yeah, guess you didn't read the whole thing?

And I know this may be quite an overambituous subject, but it's the only thing I can put so much time into without getting too bored.

But thanks for the reply anyway!
    Click for sketchbook ;D

Thanks
    It's not so much your project: It's a free country and you can do as you please, but expect a lot of people to post a lot of "Do your own homework."

I think seedling and another pro were nice enough to give an interview last time around (maybe a whole moth ago?) You could find it by using the search button.

If you're even vaguely interested in gamer culture you should know game genres, have an idea of the demographics that play them, and the content of most big production games. You could do a google for blog posts about the whole softcore/ hardcore gaming demographics, console rivalries and a ton of other popular topics. No professional is going to be more helpful that good old fashioned google; and as helpful as many of them are, none of them know where your interests lie.
    Last edited by Zaxser; September 23rd, 2008 at 04:02 AM.
    Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    It's not so much my interests as much as I am trying to get an objective view of gamedesign history, and I do use google and any other methods I can to get my information, including asking those who are actually in the gamedesing industry. To me that seems like a logical thing to do.

But thanks for telling me about the interviews, I'll try to find them!
    Click for sketchbook ;D

Thanks
    The major developments(shaders, normal maps, real-time shadows, ambient occlusion, physics engines, etc...) have been in the last 8 years really. Wiki around a bit but that should give you an idea where to start.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    games are art. but the bigger question, are they healthy?
    Last edited by TASmith; September 24th, 2008 at 03:12 AM.

Thanks
    Maybe it's not clear right now, I'm here for the actual design bit, not the 'Are games art?' or technological advances bit.

I'm here to ask you, preferably the pros, what you consider to be/have been trends in videogame design, throughout videogame history, and by that I mean characters/vehicles/environments/overall style and theme/maybe narrative.

I'm sorry if my previous explanation was so terrible, I had my mind elsewhere

Thanks for your replies!
    Click for sketchbook ;D

Thanks
    There isn't a distinguishable trend, games run the gambit and always have. Games are pushed in to new realms by new technology, not by popularity.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    DF, you mean Gamut, not Gambit.

Limo, Art is not a technical word. It's meaning is based on what people think it's meaning is. Therefore Video Games are Art or are Not Art, depending on who you are talking to.

Clearly, many or most of the skills that go into making a video game are widely considered to be Artforms. How any product can be the result of the combination of a bunch of different artforms and not be art itself seems a rather silly idea. But there are arguments that can be made. But they're complicated arguments and some of them are politically motivated, and possibly outside the scope of a high school class.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,969 Posts
    I just wanna say that i agree with Kev and to say that art in games is also art that communicates with the viewers.I tell that cause its a new "standar" about art.For example a sign on the road is nothing, but when i put it in a exhibition it becomes art.
    I will not tell anything more cause i am not a pro working on game industry(ok i am working but as freelancer and without being in a studio)i hope you will find soon a pro pro to help you add more info on your work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Greetings Limo! I make games for a living, and every time I hear the question “are games art?” I want to defenestrate myself. Who cares? And even if they care, why should I care?

Yeah. . . everyone has their own personal definition of “art”. While there may be game artists who feel strongly one way or the other, I find the question to be as dull and irrelevant as the question “how much wood could a woodchuck chuck?”

Trends in game art? Increasingly bigger paying audiences plus increasing technology plus increased audience expectations equals larger art teams staffed by increasingly more specialized artists resulting in games that don’t necessarily have more art, but that have much higher quality art. Or, at least, more detailed art with more moving parts, bells and whistles, and fidgety widgets.

Wait. . . are you asking about game art, or game design? Game design is the rules and plot of the game. It’s the “fun” part. The art is the “pretty” part.

Pardon me if I’m sounding disjointed. . . I should take a nap. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 561 Posts
    I think a good point to the essay might want to clear up the ambiguous phrase "are games art?" Parts of them are artistic, the finished product usually should have some kind of artistic aesthetic to draw people in, but programmers who are a big part of any game development team, deal with something that's fairly mathematical.

Art makes a game look better, but whether or not the finished product is art is hugely debatable. Some games work that don't have much attention to art, like old school nintendo games or tetris, but nice art that is well thought out can really help the game. Though just because a game has amazing art doesn't mean that it's any good.

Anyway, i'm going on a tangent but i hope maybe something i said was usefull, my honest opinion is that games let people express themselves artistically and can have an overall strong art aesthetic but whether or not they are simply art is hard to say because that question "Is <insert anything here> art?" causes debate wherever it's tossed around.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast