what blog site are you using? (post your blog here!) - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: what blog site are you using? (post your blog here!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i apologise if this has been adressed here or elsewhere.

i notice many artists have:

1) a personal web site/ gallery,
    2) a blog...
    3) an online "CA SB"

As far as self promotion as an illustrator/artist,
    What is the logic for having all three? ..is this redundant? ...on the surface, numbers 2 and 3 seem interchangeable.

i have a website and a CA SB (wich is a blog technically)
    What would the promotional benefit be of adding a blog much like the nice ones posted in this thread?

have i missed something? should i be blog shopping? or is this primarily for those who do not have personal websites?

---

hope this makes sense .

Last edited by kingshaj; October 1st, 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Blogspot person here. http://asatira.blogspot.com It pretty much parallels my sketchbook thread, but mixes in a heck of a lot more of my (very rare) fan art and an art challenge over in an LJ community I'm taking part in.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,277 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kingshaj View Post

2) a blog...
    3) an online "CA SB"

What is the logic for having all three? ..is this redundant? ...on the surface, numbers 2 and 3 seem interchangeable.

What would the promotional benefit be of adding a blog much like the nice ones posted in this thread?

have i missed something? should i be blog shopping? or is this primarily for those who do not have personal websites?
    that's a lot like asking "why are there multiple McDonalds? Don't they all sell the same thing?"

it never hurts to have more people be aware of your work. you gotta be a bit of a vvhore for attention and not be afraid to do self-promotion.

Last edited by Grief; October 2nd, 2008 at 06:03 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On my primary blog I talk business, something I don't do on my SB or site. I give advice on freelancing and stuff like that.

On my site (which is badly out of date right now, not updated since february) I keep current stuff when I'm looking for work. I need to fix it now since I plan to search for more freelance work.

My sb is more of a diary, I don't edit it, in the sense that I post stuff there that I don't necessarily want to keep in a portfolio, I only weed out the absolute rubish and post a lot of mediocre stuff for the sake of progress tracking.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I tend to try to keep a blog looking like a halfway professional cross-section of what I'm working on, my CA sketchbook is just a huge dump of everything i've done and is a lot more like a conversation with friends and people who comment about the work than a "look at me" kind of thing.

anyhow i'm on the blogger, its nice and easy and integrated with iGoogle. http://johnariosa.blogspot.com/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to invinciblewombat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following

new blogger

I'm a new blogger. Stopped and started a lot but finally have some momentum. I think it's great.
    http://billcarman.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following

2) a blog...
    3) an online "CA SB"

---

hope this makes sense .
    You can't assume that people will look at all 3 things. As great as this site is, some people do not come here...such is the way of life. So maybe they will see my blog. It goes the other way around, maybe someone is not into blog-surfing but they like forums. So I post them here (and a few other forums) to increase exposure.

It has helped me out on more than one occasion.
    Plus, I like blogs because I can do what I want with it...I can pattern and customize it to my website so they are intertwined. As much as I love CA.org, tope isn't really my thang

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just started using mine again http://hypercuts.blogspot.com/
    quite fun

>>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    same with me, definitely need to update more often :/ http://blog-sawa.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is it too late to join the blog party?

http://zordart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i use blogspot as well, but i almost never update.

http://monstreas.blogspot.com/

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2) a blog...
    3) an online "CA SB"

---

hope this makes sense .

Actually ... I find (and I know others do as well) that seperating your personal blatherings from your artblog and vice versa is pretty much needed to appear professional to some degree. No one needs to read about every day drama if they are going to want to see your work. Also having a seperate place to post your sketches is also useful too so you can define "finished" and "not finished" work. i personally have 5 "blogs" if you can call them that.

I have;
    a webcomic type of blog that is basically a place to get out my anger for whenever i see something in the media (mostly political stuff) that i want to express my grief about (and i also don't advertise it since most of it is just personal ranting)
    a sketch type of blog (for just my random stuff i wouldn't put in my portfolio)
    my tutorial blog, (just some general web code mumbo jumbo)
    one on my portfolio/resume site that is twitter based (just updates and notices of adding to my portfolio ... stuff like that)
    and one that is going on my new version of my business website that is basically just a bunch of tips and tricks to get designers to design better for you, stuff.

might seem excessive, but none of the stuff that goes on that one particular blog would i want to see on any of the others.

WetGravy.com ... stabbing monkeys and painting midgets.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking some time ago of making a blog where I could put my thoughts about concept art ideation and different things about developing environments. Something for myself that would keep me on track and force to think about it more but at the same time something interesting to read for other people. I've read somehere there will be blog feature on conceptart.org so I'll wait for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have an LJ. I'm thinking of getting a blog to dump art on to keep it seperate from my inane ramblings and crud.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://aspenboy.blogspot.com - I'm also using blogger, but I guess I need to put some kind of update there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using Blogspot. I just happened to pick it because I knew it existed.

Querulous

Here's the bad stuff:

Resaves uploaded images at a worse compression, if in JPG format. Sometimes I save as PNG or GIF, but nowdays I mostly just hotlink from my site.

If you want to customize layout, prepared to be drenched in the shitpile formed by the accumulation of buggy turds a.k.a. web programming languages. Shit. Did I say shit already? Well, crap.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's mine if there's anyone interested http://ruuhkissketch.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, why not:

http://bluefootedb.blogspot.com/

Don't you love my pretentious title?

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all,
    http://www.tmbritton.com
    I just finished mine so I thought I'd post it up here. Finished as in ready for public display. There's still things that bother me.

It's a wordpress installation with a custom template. Check out the Art section for a look at how using the Flickr Photo Album plugin can make a really nice gallery section. That's the part that still needs some work. It's a bit of a beast to make it fit into an existing layout.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's amazing how many artists here are using blogger!

I've registered for just about every blogging provider that exists and found that the Blogspot blogs are FAR superior to any of the other services. Because GOOGLE owns Blogger, it seems to outrank just about any other sites if the blog is constructed correctly. I've found that clean image/object tags, properly spelled keywords and unbroken links along with frequent updates will creep you in to the top spot of your category rather quick.

I'm not sure how the other blog sites treat their bloggers now, but even Wordpress ( just a short year ago) did not allow HTML in their page layout... It was constricted to very basic BB codes and the like. Probably because of their Ad sense program, Blogger has allowed HTML embedding within posts for a long time now and this (in my opinion) is the biggest advantage of the Blogspot service.

It seems that people seem to have a rather misconstrued and narrow take on what a blog is, which seems to limit the potential of what can be achieved with it. A blogger blog is nothing but a Cascading Style Sheet layout template that can be fully customized to a super dynamic web and motion graphic intensive web page. The ability to embed Flash into the code, have multiple blogs/names with multiple pages that outrank pretty much most any site at no cost, makes it an invaluable asset. Making a separate HTML element and dropping in GOOGLE Analytics (another free service) takes about one second and adding AD sense (if you wish) is also relatively painless.

The thing I've found the most interesting so far is... That if one makes multiple Blogger blogs that are object specific i.e. a blog for your landscape art... another for your weapons/tech and yet another for your concept characters, all linking from your main domain folder structure, they [the blogs] will cover a lot of key word information and will "pollute" the GOOGLE search engine (especially in the images [but in the organic side as well]} to the point where the main domain site will gain ranking... Not only in GOOGLE but ALEXA as well. Depending on ones traffic, the links on your BLOGGER blogs will also raise awareness of other specific sites in the search engine optimization dept. I am only mentioning this part in case one would like to propagate ones work or intend to use AD sense to generate revenue via the blog program... It's just something that I have noticed "studying" Blogger for the last two years which I find interesting.

Another advantage is in making multiple pages in multiple resolutions... One page can show an image in an 800 pixel width while there may be a link to a 1920 wide example on another blog page.

The biggest advantage though, at least to me, is the ability to embed Flash within the posts. Flash can be scripted and composited with full on 1080p resolution at full 30 frames per second with scripts such as random math and even full on surround sound audio... I believe all media will be Flash based in the future... Maybe all films will be in the layered self contained format being pulled from a local server and maybe certain layers of the containment file will swap out in various cities with various content... Maybe for ad placement purposes or maybe for something completely different.
    I am only ranting about Flash here to emphasize/solidify the important role it will have on all audio/video media content in the near future.... Especially in the push button publishing formats.

The last two things I would like to elaborate on are:
    1. Unless absolutely broke, try not to use the blogger servers (bp1, 2, etc) to upload images...Register a real domain name from Godaddy.com and host from a company such as Ipower to store your images. This will keep the quality that you wish and will speed up the blog page exponentially... This will also help with raising your position within the search engine itself. Or if you're tight, use your own servers... Even better... Of course.

2. A Blogger blog should not substitute for your main website... Again, unless you're mad broke, it should be used as a companion tool to your main site. You don't want to spend years worth of work on your blog only to have someone else own it or lose your posts/information permanently. Pull images from your hosting company and back everything up, this works real well.

Check out some of the blogs I have made in the last year or so... All CSS templates, using Flash without Dreamweaver!

Thanks.

conceptships
    airbrushed shoes
    igorstshirts

P.S. I am working late tonight waiting for a ride, I need to kill an hour and don't feel much like CG atm ... Thus the ranting. I hope someone finds this information of value. It is not aimed at anyone specifically and should be taken with a grain of salt

Last edited by igorstshirts; October 27th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using Wordpress, and I really like it. Nice templates and very easy to update. http://www.toonicornstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn! this thread is 4 years old!
    I'm using tumblr just in case kekeke :V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a bad thread to necro.

I'm trying to get myself in the habit of posting (and making) art more often on Tumblr, too. I am also more likely to post some stuff there (like anime) that I won't on here.

http://kuroyue.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use Tumblr, I was very reluctant at first, but choose this seeing it when best with my ProSite (website) account. Extremely happy. Simple, easy and fast.

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 5,930 Times in 2,383 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is older than my blog. I did subscribe to Bill's blog though after seeing it here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://digitalisdreaming.blogspot.com/

Writing about life, freelancing, and not wanting to wear pants.

http://digitalis-vitae.tumblr.com/

My photos.

I'm happy to get crits on either/both.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5