IDW #79: The Clockwork Heart - an IDW/CHOW cross-over event

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: IDW #79: The Clockwork Heart - an IDW/CHOW cross-over event

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #79: The Clockwork Heart - an IDW/CHOW cross-over event

Topic: The Clockwork Heart - an IDW/CHOW cross-over event

Background:

"The creaking of floorboards and the sound of heavy footsteps in the hall dragged the boys mind back into the damp and dark living room he had been playing in. Someone was at the door. The boy glanced at the clock to check the time, but the clock had stopped working ever since his dad had thrown it against the wall years ago. The doorknob squeaked. The boy dragged the wooden locomotive, which missed a wheel since he could remember having it, back with him into the shade as he hastily crept back to his corner, a hiding spot behind the desk. A tin soldier was left behind in the middle of the bare floor but the boy did not dare leave his hiding place to go back and retrieve it. The door creaked and then slammed shut. The footsteps came closer, then suddenly stopped. The boy peeked around the desk and caught sight of a large silhouette of a man in the doorway, framed by the light coming from the hall. The figure turned its head towards the boy. Not daring to move, the boy stared wide-eyed back at the man. Daddy was home.

Without showing any sign of acknowledging his son, the man grunted and slowly took another step. With every step the man took, he seemed to slow down and become more and more unsteady. Finally he reached a flimsy wooden chair and sank down on it with a deep sigh, making it almost collapse under a weight is was never build for. The man’s breathing had become louder and heavier all the way towards the chair. With a tired sweep of his arm he took off his hat. Slowly he started to unbutton his heavy coat, and what at first was a faint ticking at the edge of hearing since he had entered now became the steady tick-tock like a clock. It seemed to come from inside the man’s clothes. The boy knew what was coming, but he remained hidden still.

The father kept unbuttoning several layers of clothes, until he came to a leather chest piece held together by several belts. The ticking became louder. The boy dreaded this moment worse than any other time of the day, even worse than facing the other kids at school. With each belt that was unbuckled, the ticking seemed to become more aggressive and present. Finally, the leather chest piece came loose. The boy closed his eyes, but his mind could picture every detail of what he did not want to see. Roughly where the man’s heart should have been, a metal contraption was buried in his chest that ticked with the deafening punctuality of a clock. Moving parts where visible inside it, gears and flywheels and springs, all moving to the same beat. The boy opened his eyes, preparing for what was to come.

The man fumbled with the clamps that kept the contraption in place, then grabbed the clockwork heart with both hands and with a grunt of effort he pulled it out and slammed it on the table next to him. It kept on ticking, but now the table acted like an amplifier. The boy wanted to clasp his hands over his ears to keep the sound out, but knew it would only make his father angrier. Slowly he got up on his feet, dropping the toy train. With an impatient gesture his daddy motioned him to come closer. This movement seemed to cost him a lot of willpower, as his eyes rolled up to show only white for a moment and he gasped for breath. A hoarse whisper came out of his mouth: “rewind it, son…before mom comes home...”

The IDW side of this topic is to design the clockwork heart of the father. As it stands there on the the table ticking, imagine the camera zooming in on it to show a close up of the object. For such a shot to work, the heart should be just as well designed as the character of the father, as they both tell important aspects of who he is and what he does.

If you like to, feel free to include any of the other prosthetics worn by the characters mentioned in this short story (the son and the mother).

If you are participating in this weeks CHOW as well, you can include the character on the same sheet as the heart. Just realise that this is IDW, so the heart should be just as well worked out as the father.

The CHOW round for this event can be found here: CHOW 128 :: The Clockwork Heart - an IDW/CHOW cross-over event

Brief:
    1. Design and draw The Clockwork heart of the father!
    2. If you are doing this weeks CHOW as well, please include it in your final entry.
    2. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Monday, September 29

Name:  IDW CHOW logo small.JPG
Views: 1241
Size:  7.7 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; September 23rd, 2008 at 02:13 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A small note: I am aware that there is a small overlap with the previous IDW round, as that one closes on Wednesday. If this causes problems for anyone, let me know. I might extend the deadline a bit if need be, but this both the CHOW and IDW can run simultaenously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm assuming we dont have to read the whole short novel and can just design the character plus his mecha heart based on this excerpt alone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zenichi: The story as put up there in the topic between the brackets is the whole short novel actually. It was specifically written for this IDW/CHOW cross-over topic. So yeah, that is all you need to design your character and heart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys and gals. New here. love the site so far. Hopefully i can find the time to participate. I do have a question for this. Is it just the clock heart's design or do we do the chest piece it plugs into aswell?

Nico

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nicopen: Good point...hm I think if you'd combine it with CHOW, the part where the heart plugs in is going to be the father so you'll have to design that too anyway. If you're only planning to do the heart I leave it up to you. It'd be great if you'd include the chest piece itself too though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok yoitisi, I came over. Well, I've never tried anything on here before, you guys do some AWESOME designs though. The first one was my initial concept and then I tried to incorporate some gears and things into it to fit the story better. Any critiques would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh dear, this thread is lacking some love compared to the CHOW thread!

I've just come back from holiday and have been looking forward to sinking my teeth into a bad-ass brief, such as this one! Hopefully I can bust a groove and whip up something for monday.

Edit: Sunday 28th WIP

A few rough sketches and renders I did last night. Pretty much settled on the design: 2 cam and shaft driven pumps for the right and left ventrical, inside a glass and copper casing. Gonna work on the perspective render tonight and brush up the ortho sketches. Any comments and crits highly appreciated!

Last edited by B-zilla; September 28th, 2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys! Im new to CHOW and IDW, but I worked on this today, I hope it flies..or if not let me know ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey KuGu, looking REALLY good.
    Only question would be where you pump the blood through? I see where the blood should go in but not how it would be pumped.
    I'd assume with that rotor you couldn't really determine thru wich tube it's supposed to come out, except for if you have some automatical shutters.
    But all of the nifty little parts look fab! Not that I'd be knowledgable enough to really figure how it works.
    If I get my CHOW to an acceptable degree of , uhm, being finished, I'll through my heart in here too (how poetic. ...). It exists already... like in my brain. :s
    One question, does the deadline end on monday night 12:00 (Yoitsi, I figure we're in the same timezone) "our" time or 12:00 in Japan or anywhere, like in CHOW?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a preliminary sketch for the heart design. I won't have enough time to go as in depth into the design as I would have liked but I'll do as much as I can. hopefully I can include a brief explanation as to how it is supposed to work.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com
    http://www.maxmartelli.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yoitisi!

I just want to make sure I understand what I have to do.

Do we have to include our CHOW entry with our IDW design or can we just post the IDW design?

Also, what format does the final piece need to be saved as and do we need WIPs?

Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KuGu: It's looking really good. You have the inner workings which is pretty challenging. I do agree with DigitallyDumbfounded. I think shutters in the arterial connectors would be a fabulous idea for determining where and when the blood is let out.

Some more work done on the heart. I think I'll have to label it and describe what the parts do. I'm still working it all out in my head and am getting some ideas that i'm not sure if i want to go through with but we'll see.

My take on it is that it is essentially a clockwork pacemaker. The clockwork motor (the detachable bit) plugs into the chest receptor which is implanted in the breast bone. This connects the motor to two leads that go directly into the heart via the Superior Vena Cava into the right atrium and the right ventricle. The clockwork engine feeds a small electrical charge through a small generator located in the chest receptor to stimulate the muscles of the heart thus causing it to beat and keep the subject alive without a naturally working heart. The design is sleek and rounded so as to not to snag on any living tissue.

I'm not sure if I'll have time to fully illustrate all the inner workings so I was wondering if it'll be ok to just indicate where all of these parts are located in the casing.

Let me know what you think so far.

Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Martelli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DigitallyDumbfounded: AAAhh!! you got me! I have no idea..I just figured the slushie machine action would simply move blood through the chasis in one direction because as one sphere on the rotor covers one hole it leaves the other open..however in my defense..I am ignorant thanks for the crit..Ill see if I can think of something better (BTW: you're too right, what happened to everyone? even IDW cleared out?)

Max Martelli: Thank you! see answer above -- Your design is simple but it actually makes me think it's VERY feasible..hmm..Y didnt I think of that?!? one thing you might want to consider (as a nit pick) is both the windup key hole and a way to mechanically fasten both pieces together..but I like it!

MJ_Alcazar: Sorry, last time I came on this post your image dndt load..my connection's fault..anyhow, the design you went with is by far your strngest..the clock on the outside is a good device for bringing to mind the ticking in the brief...would love to see an ortho of it

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cloud-Yo! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice designs. KuGu, thats pretty detailed. Nice idea showing every part inside.

First time I'm doing a IDW Here is mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, it's kinda lonely over here.

Flashrabbit - love your design, quick question. Those staples? I see in his chest, are those just to hold the skin together and are not part of the actual heart? Because I noticed they weren't in the actual heartpiece.

Max Martelli - Makes a lot of sense!

Kugu - thanks, I'm trying to do an ortho as we speak. I'm really ignorant on how most things work so I'm researching to try to figure it out.
    Yours looks really well thought out. Looking forward to see how you do the blood thing. Maybe put an airpump type thing inside the very bottom where the arterial connectors are to simulate a pumping action and to help redirect the blood. Yeah, I have no clue how that would work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MJ_Alcazar: Yes, they are there to hold the skin/flesh.
    So that the he can easier pull out the heart and so it doesn't grow together again or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flashrabbit : that makes sense, you wouldn't want the skin healing over the mechanisms and everything.

Ok, I've been working on this. It's a quasi ortho view.
    The way I pictured it is the clock was going to be something along the lines of what Max Martelli did, a pacemaker. Most of the man's heart was saved, that's why I didn't do a back view of it, the heart looks normal from behind. Over top of it, they had to cut out some of the major arteries and put in metal pipes instead. I'm still running into the problem of how the blood goes through the pipes, because in actual arteries the walls of the arteries help out the heart a lot. Also, the man's left ventricle had to be mostly taken out and a gear apparatus thing was set inside with brass and steal.
    Anyway, the heart is setting partly exposed from the body, the reasoning was that the pipes would get rusted inside the man, (I don't think there was stainless steal in the 1800s, correct me if I'm wrong) so it would need to be exposed for cleaning. Also, the gears would also need to be exposed for easy access to them incase there was a jam or something.
    The only piece that actually comes out of the man is the clockpiece. It needs to be wound to keep the other gears pumping, all of which work together in a pacemaker type fashion to keep the rest of the heart pumping.

Last edited by MJ_Alcazar; September 28th, 2008 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for replying a bit late in here, I've been away over the weekend.

Max Martelli: If you're doing both the CHOW and the IDW, you can basically present both parts of this challenge the way Flashrabbit did by putting both on one sheet. My only demand here is that you don't just show an illustration of your character with an arrow pointing at his chest, the ID part should be just as much worked out as the character (meaning a seperate drawing of the whole heart at least). The format for your file is anything that you can upload as an attachment.

KuGu: Though I think it's a very cool entry, it's still very much just 2d drawings out of a 3d program. The way you've presented it is fine, I'd just like to see it textured and colored to make it look like it belongs to the character. As you can read in the few rules we have in here, I don't usually take 3d models to poll.

On a more general note, unlike CHOW there is no Finals thread. Post your final entry in this thread and make sure I can see it's your final entry and not a WIP. Also, please use the attachment manager and put name and topic in the filename. Thanks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final

Woo! An early night for me!

Will comment tomorrow. I'm liking what I see though could do with more entries too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I'm thinking the final will be. Let me know if the text is a little wordy. I think it might be too much but I really wanted to explain how I believe the heart should work. Also I felt that my illustration needed some explanation givin that the design is so sleek and that you can't see the inner workings.

Let me know what you think.

Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the final. I posted a larger version of just the figure for CHOW but I included him in my IDW final as well so you can see the installed heart.

Good job everyone, I'll have some crits in a bit.

Good luck.

Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

toot toot!

Finally, here's my entry for this week. I would have liked to do the cow as well but I just ran out of time. Stayed up late getting this bad boy done. Here's an explanation:

The clockwork heart is based around the shape of a heart. The "Crank coil" can be twisted to load a spring up with energy. This slowly uncoils moving a series of gears and finally a pendulum wheel just like a clock. The pendulum wheel swings back and forth making the ticking noise and also driving two pistons. These pistons in turn pump blood in and out of two syringes. The syringes are plugged straight into the mans veins and arteries. The mans circulation system takes over and pumps the blood through the one way valve system thus keeping him alive. A "life gauge" keeps a read out for the man so he knows when it's time to recharge.

I think if I had the right tools I could make a working version of this.

Cheers yoitisi for running this.

Sleep now
    J

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi:Too right you are sir! So here's a painted version for your consideration!

Berkeley CA, and Brooklyn NY, depending on the season
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey KuGu, your rendering looks amazing, but i see a slight problem with the key's perspective. the flat part is shadowed as if viewed from the left, but the rod is being viewed from the bottom. this makes the key appear slightly bent. stronger shadows along the bottom of they key's flat part oughta fix this. looks great!!

All I need is who I am,
    It's all I need to be
    But all you are is what you do,
    So act accordingly.

Beerless. need beer.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BEERLESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BEERLESS: SNAP! thank you! that's what was buggin' me but I couldn't put my finger on it...You're absolutely right..hehehe..Ill fix it, but I dont know if I can still post another version? time? ----->off to rework..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The poll will be up in a couple of hours hopefully. I'll have to attend to a lecture and a project first, so it might be a bit more than a couple of hours. If you're still working on something and aren't sure you can get it in on time let me know

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess i am too late.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is mine

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A lot. A bit. A little something different...
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time to close this round. Poll will be up in a minute

Edit: Poll is up and running, go over there and vote please: IDW #79: Clockwork Heart - an IDW/CHOW cross-over event - Voting

Last edited by yoitisi; September 30th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.