First digital painting (need critique and life advice)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First digital painting (need critique and life advice)

I'm at a crossroads in my life.

I'm a 17 year old senior, a good student. My parents are pushing me to go to college and pursue a career in medicine and what not, but I'll be honest, that doesn't appeal to me at all. What I'm wanting from you guys, aside from critique for my art, is a word on whether you think I have what it takes to make it in the industry. Doing this kind of thing for a living would be a dream.

This is the product of me having too much time on my hands in my commercial art class (there's a nice Wacom the school has). It took me quite a few hours of fiddling with it. It is my first finished digital painting. It was done in attempt to create a new desktop background for my school district's network, hence the blue vikingness and the 'W'.
    There are few errors that have become apparent to me (the hair needs some work, helmet is bland in some areas, neck needs work)
    But I need your expert opinion CA, be brutal.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by .StringTheory; September 23rd, 2008 at 01:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whether you have what it takes or not is up to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I know it really just depends on how hard I want it, and there's no way to just say, "Yeah, you'll get a job for sure".

But I guess what I'm asking is, am I off to a good start?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ur going in the right direction, thers a lot of people with a lot less skill then you if thats what you wanna hear, but you still have a long way to go, so do most of us.
    since ur so young you could (if u practice hard and everyday) probebly have enough skill when you reach the age when you cou have to look for work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Considering its your first digital drawing it seems pretty good, I like the use of textures on the helmet. The face seems quite flat though, I'd try to be a bit braver with a higher opacity and harder brush, it looks like you've used the airbrush throughout. That's fine, but if you dont counter it with harder sharper lines it can mean the image will lack punch. Also i think the eyes are a bit of an odd shape and the pupils/irises are too small--unless people really widen their eyes or look from an extreme angle the iris always touches the top and bottom of the eyes.

As for making it in the industry? You've got a long way to go, but you could do it I'm sure, depends how fast you can improve!

There were two ships. One had red paint, one had blue paint. They collided. At last report, the survivors were marooned. BA-DUM BSSH!

Art Blog
    Website
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate the critique, duly noted. Yeah I kinda raped the airbrush and smudge tool, and I'll add more depth to the face and fix the eyes.

I'm also drawing almost every day now for an hour or two, I'll post more when I finish them.

Thanks all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first drawing? 17? show that shit to your parents and tell them to hell with medicine. No seriously, you got skills, and time is defiantly on your side. Take some more art classes working from life. Keep drawing, but above all keep having fun like you did with this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If this guy can do it, you can do it.

Question is, are you willing to put in years of work and study? It's a competitive industry. Bioware I think sums it up best on this page, on what you need. They even link back to these forums, so you're already in the right place to start learning.

Start a sketchbook thread in the Sketchbook section, check out Jason Manley's thread at the top of the Critique Center about the basics of learning the foundations of art.
    See if there's a local CA sketchgroup in your area you can join.
    Accept where you're at in terms of skills and keep a positive mental attitude. A lot of people post about how they're lacking inspiration/motivation, to which Elwell, CarlDobsky, and others have (I'm paraphrasing) answered:

"Just do it!"

Hope this helps!

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.