Sketchbook: Tis be my sketchbook - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tis be my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really like how those environments are coming along. :D

That boat one really stood out at me, great detail there! I admire how you did the water, even with the reflections. @_@ I think though, it looks a little like it's tipping toward the viewer and the characters are about to slide off.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaytea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This book was a real pleasure to see, keep em coming.
    U can clearly see the progress u've made here.
    I like your personal style!

Cheers,

Fox

My Sketchbook

Other DAE students:

Gerre, Lyno, Grafguy, Jocky, Master Chill, Murido, Nuttynut,
    Ravenslayer

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fox1987 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! You ma'am have the self determination of a robot. Hatsoff to you.

Haha, I really dig your environments and your confidant lines. It seems there is a difficulty translating your solid line work drawings into paintings. Maybe some more in depth color studies are to be had?

Keep them coming Double-D, which I have no doubt you will!

Insert quote here -> ketch ook

SSG #70: Pulchritudo nos vocat

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lad For This Useful Post:

Darlene is offline Goddess of Improvement Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *Rubs hands together* Okay! So I've been a bit absent lately. I love your environmental studies a lot. I think you're really capturing some nice mood with your lighting and colours. And I reeeealllyy love your Stilgar, tee hee. He looks awesome. I'm gonna have to check it out on the CHOW forum. ^^ I'm loving the gestures and forms. Keep up the great work! You rock.

"The marvels of daily life are exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street." - Robert Doisneau

"I think that each work of art when stripped to its bare bones is essentially a 'connect the dots' picture." - Me

Sketchbook

SSG 70

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Darlene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rolo For This Useful Post:

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates! Cool to see all the work. Some awesome ideas and pics. Like the updated CHOW and the colours studies. Do you work in any natural media? I learnt alot about colour from mixing paints. How colours work together, how to match them and how to mix up the ones you are looking for. Another great way to build up palettes is by using magazines - specially decor / interior design ones. The designers have kinda done the hard work for you by matching colours for interiors, simple tear out a page and keep for swatch making. They always have interesting colour combos and helps towards seeing what can be done. Also check out your favourite artists and see what paletes they use. A litlle research into colour and its psychological effects could help too so you know what colour to use for mood.
    Keep up the great work!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kidult, thanks a lot for the great advice.
    I definitly want to get back into traditional media. I did some watercolors a while back and tried doing proper skintones in oil with a premixed pallete wher I followed a tutorial. I should do more of those. I think I'll just start with basic stuff and use watercolors. Still a bit timid to waste my oils. (Silly, I know, That's what I got them for. )
    The interior design suggestion is great also.

Lad: Oh dear. I'm not a robot, haha. And those thumnails really didn't take long! And agreed, there's nothing to get here, I'll enter the war with my watercolors again. :

Pyroclasm: Thanks. Yeah, no, the values did get screwed up. Working on that and using reference.

Darlene, Fox and everyone: Thanks for the comments.
    Didn't have the time today. But I finnaly did some hand studies.

Faust
    : Thanks again. I'm at it.

SO. I did some hands
    Name:  22.10.handstudies copy.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  66.7 KB
    Name:  22.10.handstudies3copy.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  46.2 KBName:  22.10.handstudies4copy.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  45.4 KB

And some quick selfportraits. Man, I messed up the profile view! I think I actually drew each half from a different perspective. Doh!
    And yeah, minmal likeness.
    Name:  sp22.081 copy.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  56.9 KB

SO. Then I misread the EOW brief, or to be exact I figured moor would also be the german Moor or something watery at least .. but it isn't.

So, here is an ancient underwater marker, been thinking of Lovecraft (not Poe, mixed that up).
    Name:  eow98 copy.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  103.2 KB
    I don't know if it's recognizable, the perspective is somewhat daring. And it doesn't fit the brief anyway. Meh. Liked the idea anyhow.

Uhm yeah, and another really plain thumb. Just for sky and hopefully a bit of depth.
    Name:  22.10.mountain copy.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  55.0 KB

Last edited by DigitallyDumbfounded; October 22nd, 2008 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    amazing stuff for chow, I love the one with the girl kneeling and the awesome tree, you should finish this and make her eye even more f---ed!! So cool and thanks for the visit!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kelly x For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great studies,
    You seem to be learning colour and tone very fast, good job.
    Cool CHOW work as well, nice style:-)

Keep up the good work DD,

matt,

:
    In the absence of light, dark will prevail.

see my NEW sketchbook[UPDATED] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=123027
    Trained by...
    http://www.thedrawingstudio.co.nz/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    again cool studies, maybe add a bit of shadow later on

Fox

My Sketchbook

Other DAE students:

Gerre, Lyno, Grafguy, Jocky, Master Chill, Murido, Nuttynut,
    Ravenslayer

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fox1987 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm the pencils are pretty light, very hard to see. Are you using anything above HB? Anyway, a bit more contrast would be nice, I can hardly see anything

Otherwise it's nice seeing some serious anatomystudies, just be aware that the hand in itself forms a little figure with it's own gesture-dynamics and expression, as well as limbs, body etc. Hands are always hard to learn!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies all rpound again! Hands are tricky so keep at them. Nice going on the self-portraits, even mistakes count as learning
    For the underwater scene, keep in mind deep down there is no red cept where those lights strike (after 6ft the red light gets cut out) so dont make your hues to red / orange.

Keep up the great work! Cool to see you in the chow poll!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAAANDS. I love hands. I loved drawn hands. I don't like the hands I draw. ;_; So I must draw more of them! You draw them well. I like your hands. Nice self portraits! I'm happy to see you update almost everyday-- ish amazing! Ummm.. Happy sky Depth is difficult to see, but after gazing at it awhile becomes more apparent. I wonder if this is what you were hoping to achieve?

"The marvels of daily life are exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street." - Robert Doisneau

"I think that each work of art when stripped to its bare bones is essentially a 'connect the dots' picture." - Me

Sketchbook

SSG 70

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Darlene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darlene: Hah, noooo. I just screwed up.
    And yeah, hands are complicated little things. Only thing I hate more are feet!

Kidult: Woh! Thanks for that information! That's about the same kind of effect as in the air (blue sky), or is it?
    But if I can make it I'll try and do the ACTUAL EOW and do some referenced underwater stuff before I go on with that idea. I watched such a lousy cthullu-ish horror film a while back where in the end there was a pretty awesome scene with a giant underwater gate on the seafloor. Pretty inspiring. (And with lots of tentacle, naturally. ) Redeemed for the other 90 minutes.

Oh and yay! CHOW! Made it to poll. I hope I can do it again this week and try an actual orthographic view of Alia. It's nice to participate since there's pretty much the same gang of people each week, so the feedback is quite in depth sometimes.

Faust
    : Mach mich nicht schwach. On my TFT they looked ok but on my macbook, indeed... . I tried changing some settings and actually set the contrast down. Hope it's better now and not too dark, I adjusted the levels somewhat and replaced the background color to be lighter. And I used a B mine(mechanical pencil) I finf it gets smudgy easily above that. At least it used to but I probably don't press as hard anymore?
    Dunno, will try differently.

Fox: Ah, you mean shading the studies? Good idea. Will hopefully help me to understand things better.

Jailhouserock
    : Thanks.

Kelly
    : Aw, thanks. Haha, yeah, she's getting a little makeover every now and then.

So. Uff, watercolors. Sorry for the lousy scans. That's the best I could convince my scanner to do today.
    They are not as dark and contrasty in real life. I already lowered the contrast but meh.
    Hope it's recognizable anyway.
    As you can see it got much more runny after the first thumb (these are about 6cm wide each). ;_; Wah!
    But I'll post the botched ones anyway.

Name:  23.10tradthumb copy.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  104.1 KB
    Name:  23.10tradthumb3 copy.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  50.5 KB Name:  23.10tradthumb2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  29.1 KB
    Also might add I mixed the colors for all but the reddish one from lemon yellow cerulean blue and, uhm Karmin? What's that, crimson?
    I found it difficult to get not so saturated looking colors. I mean, it's probably about practice with the color mixing but I seem to get those more or less intense colors and find it hard to achieve some real muddy greyish colors. Funny, in digital I don't seem to have a problem with that!
    And then I have to be careful to mix with the right amount of water (wich obviously didn't go so well...). It's really tricky because once I have a darker tone down there's just no going back because it's pretty much impossible to lighten up areas again. Makes me plan out the steps more wich again is a good thing.

And oh dear, being spoiled by Peck and getting back to Bridgman.
    Not saying anything bad about Bridgman but the lines are sometimes hard to interpret.
    Name:  23.10hands.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  88.8 KB
    Also drew my hands once or twice there. Sorry for the overlap. :s Dunno what I was thinking.

And yeah, trying a bit for CHOW, Alia from Dune... creepy little kid.
    Don't know if I can make it this week.
    Name:  23.10.alia.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  92.2 KB

Last edited by DigitallyDumbfounded; October 23rd, 2008 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh i know what you mean about the whole peck to bridgman thing. Good job with the hand studies, and those watercolors are looking good. I was never able to get a handle on that medium.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man oh man, more awesome hands. Sweeet. Okay. And I looove the water colours. More please!

Sketchbook

SSG 70

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Darlene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No stopping you is there? great stuff again, good to see those studies. Good work on alia - try incorparate some of those gesture techniques in your roughs. By that I mean make some nice curvy lines for the pose and build up on that for cool poses.
    For the mixing of paints - the saturation comes from the colours being pure for you to mix, i.e. they are at there most saturated. Try to add small touches of black (really dark gray works too, but you got black ready and waiting) and by small I literally mean a pin prick at a time. You should see the harsh colour softened a bit. just be carefull to not add to much at a time or it gets nasty. Try limit your colours too, when you start. People tend to get a bit over excited by all the colours and try to use em all. The less you use the more it forces you to mix and think about it to get the right hue.
    Keep up the good work!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! Love the landscape thumbnails, especially the second one on the top row. The watercolor wash works great! keep up the good work!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks Nightblue. I thought the wash made everything too blurry. But I guess I can wait till it dries and then add sharper sihouettes in the foreground. Thanks for stopping by.

Kidult: Thanks. I tried mixing a wee bit of black today and it worked fine. I was a bit scared I'd make the colors too dark but with the water colors it's pretty easy to go brighter by just using more water.

I can wait till they dry on the plate and then mix them with the right amount of water.

Darlene: Yay. More watercolors. :

Pyroclasm
    : Tell me about it, haha. I also find watercolors hard to handle.

Also I figurerd out today that, well, dur, the colors are darker and a bit richer while still wet. :s
    SO, while I was quite happy with this when it was wet... eh.
    Ok, but it was good practice anyway and I simply have to keep in mind that it gets pale when it's drying.

I don't have a suitable pallete for watercolors so I used a regular plate (like, for eating. ;P) to premix my colors. That's way easier like this.

With the premixed colors life was easier. I messed some patches up anyway and I just left it like this for now. the paper was starting to get damaged and next time I just need to probably wait longer till I apply another layer of paint. I started giving the whole face a basic tone made from
    naples red and lemon yellow.

Then I used alizarin crimson and cerulean blue on top of that for the darker tones and also a tiny bit of black.
    I tried to use carmine(crimson?) for the reddish areas but in the end I added a bit of cadmium and I think that works better.
    I've really had trouble with the hair, but I guess that's pretty much hard in every medium.
    Ok, if anyone has suggestions for pallete choices they're very appreciated.
    I found I practically don't use the greens I have bought but keep mixing them from the primaries I chose. Eh, yeah. rambling.
    Name:  24.120.tradportrait copy.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  112.4 KB
    Edit: Hrm, changed the previous version with another jpg where I lowered the contrast somewhat. It's still a bit lest contrasty irl.
    Also, Maybe that's a stupid question, but can I mix a neutral grey?
    Also, a small thumb.
    Name:  24.10tradthumb.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  36.3 KB

And I started doing the REAL eow, hopefully. ;
    Name:  eow copy.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  81.1 KB
    Name:  eow2 copy.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  86.1 KB
    Edit: It's "Two ancient stone markers in a moor"
    I'll just put up process shots, maybe somebody spots mistakes in the way I go about these things.
    And some poses.
    Name:  24.120.poses.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  62.1 KB

And one more landscape, digitally this time.
    Name:  24.120.landsfcapestudy copy.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  59.8 KB

Last edited by DigitallyDumbfounded; October 25th, 2008 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YEH WATERCOLORS, MORE OF THOSE!! iam a big fan of it !
    your sketches are awesome

37. The Following User Says Thank You to erik-jan v/d schuur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by `ej View Post
    YEH WATERCOLORS, MORE OF THOSE!! iam a big fan of it !
    your sketches are awesome
    I totally agree!!! AWESOME WATERCOLORS!!! MORE!!!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Φ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook... I'm gonna chime in with the others and encourage more watercolour experimentation as well. I've always loved the lovely loose/whimsical effects it naturally has - but have never mastered it myself so can't give a lot of advice about technique... I remember reading some interview with Stephanie Law ages ago, though - she said she basically put down tons of light layers (letting each dry completely) and built it up slowly. Maybe try blotting your brush on a cloth of some sort to reduce the amount of water on your brush a bit as well? Hah... no clue, I'm gonna shut up now

41. The Following User Says Thank You to sinneart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job on the watercolours - you sure picked a tricky medium for it. Try some dry brush as well (you dont mix much, if any water in and use it like acrylic or oil) As for the eow watch for having 2 of something in there, for some reason odd numbers look more pleasing than even so maybe throw a 3rd one (even if its smaller or further back) Try think about your composition - what catches my eye 1st and where does it go from there? Currently my eye goes straight to the middle and all those nice mountain stuff gets ignored. Shifting the whole image to the left a bit so the tower thingies are more to the one side could help. On the right you could do more hills coming up towards the towers. So in theory your eye should hit the towers and the go "down" the hill. Another hill on the right edge in the distance btw the fore and bcakground could lead the eye into the mountains and back to the tower. This way your viewer stays with the pic.
    Hope this helps. Your digi stuff is starting to look good!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kidult:Ah man. Yeah. I know it's boring. I'm still a little lost what to do here. The brief is: "Two ancient markers.
    Jutting out from the moors, two large navigational markers on the path that hints to what lies beyond". ... I just have no idea what does lie beyond...
    I'm not creative. Er, haha.
    Chaos is picky this week so I guess I stuck too closely to the brief.
    I really hope lightning strikes me with a more interesting idea but we already have the spaceship variant and the dead people on poles.
    I think I'll start another one with a more interesting view. Or I'll indeed throw some skulls and stuff into the peacefull surroundings . It's good practice and indeed challenging. Deadline is wednesday, so time to play around.
    I thought about a bigger building or something on the mountain in the distance or rocks in the foreground. It's really not the most creative approach I know.

But your suggestions help a ton! I'll try that out.

And about the dry brush. Haha, I AM trying but it just gets too wet... I always pick up too much water but I guess more premixed color and a smaller brush will help...hopefully. And yes, tricky medium indeed but I'm getting more confident about color mixing in general and next week I'll try oils too.

Eh, anyway.

So, just a few doodles and eyes today. I tried referencing my own eyes and get different expressions.
    Name:  25.10.eyes copy.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  97.1 KB
    Name:  25.10.sideview.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  43.8 KB

Yeah, small update but I'll be busy (=drinking) tonight and we'll see if I can update tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your a chick?
    sweeet
    haha, anyways the eyes in the last post are very well done, one thing I have noticed that is very helpful when studying the eye is to draw both of them, as a set It seems easy to me to draw one eye but to match and get the perspective right with how they appear on the face seems to be more of a problem.
    but ya great work and thanks for stopping by
    -=jedi=-

46. The Following User Says Thank You to jedininjaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nishe goin...hic...wash thish bout drinkin...hic?

48. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice sketchbook. Your watercolors are really beautiful. Keep it up !

50. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff! I do like the first watercolor landscape you put up there~ and if you're gonna use watercolors you hafta learn to embrace the mistakes o.O; 'tis what my teacher told me. Happy mistakes. Colors flowing everywhere... and it gets all soggy... meh. But, it is a forgiving medium. If you put a bit of water down again you can blot a lot of the paint back out.

He told us to experiment with wet on dry and wet on wet... and dryish on wet? It gives different effects. Like, if you put water on a certain area of the paper and only put paint on the edges it kinda spreads out... soft gradients. Putting different colors in or even water while it's still wet moves the paint around... sorta thing. I'm a bit drugged and I have to do more watercolor... but everything you've got up is very nice.

Super Sketch Group! numbah 70
    Darlene Kidult Lad DigitallyDumbfounded shardana Psychotime
    And me!

Let's learn together!

(Oh, and here's my blog. It's just me and my goofy doodles. Oh, but now there's also my portfolio site!

52. The Following User Says Thank You to bombchu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohhh those watercolors are great!! and the selfportraits/eye studies are coming really nice too !! you seem to be more confident on characters rather than enviros..
    you can try to quickly copy the mood from some photos you like and then continue then the way you want. that should give you a jump start on them.. see what elements in the pic define depth and how to suggest this a little more..
    a quick way to get some perspective going is to use the ps perspective tool on a texture and slap it on the ground plane..its a great guide to place and immediately see elements in space!

BLOG
    CgHub

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Shard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome awesome AWESOME... Wheeeee... Yeah, I'm loving how your new characters are turning out. They're cleaner than before! You have lots more confidence in your lines, I can tell! Keep it up, keep it up! Zoom, straight to the moon!

Sketchbook

SSG 70

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Darlene For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1