Sketchbook: Tis be my sketchbook - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh. I like the looseness... fluidity? Something... wooshiness! I like the wooshiness of everything. Your figures and strokes... I like the curves of the poses. They're always very flow... y... but I don't really see that in the last few... Don't lose it! Keep the wooshing up

Super Sketch Group! numbah 70
    Darlene Kidult Lad DigitallyDumbfounded shardana Psychotime
    And me!

Let's learn together!

(Oh, and here's my blog. It's just me and my goofy doodles. Oh, but now there's also my portfolio site!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bombchu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as i said before, brilliant. Keep it going, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool updates! Good to see you trying - no self hating tho!!! If you tell yourself you suck at drawing, you are gonna suck at it! Be positive about your artwork, not every piece can be a masterpiece but every piece is a learning experience. The people that rock this site, work a crap load on there art! The chow stilgar guy aint looking that bad - the sketch has lots of potential - legs just need a bit of work!
    Keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its cool man we can't be artist 100% of the time then we would lose are human/creativity and then we wouldn't be artists at all! If that makes sense please tell me

But what I find that helps me on an off day is taking a nap or a shower. Go read a book. Get enthralled by something other than art! Or just veg-out in front of the TV.

On the upside I totally dig your pencil work on your CHOW. I see and feel the sadness or the loss of hope in his posture and face. AWESOMENESS!

Now tomorrow is a new day, lets break out of the old and into something new! Like...environments!

Insert quote here -> ketch ook

SSG #70: Pulchritudo nos vocat

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh thank you so much guys!
    I guess I hit a little speed bumb there, after I felt I made such leaps in the last weeks.

Kidult and Lad: Thank you for the Stilgar comments. Mainly my problem was about the legs and the foreshortening. I just couldn't decide what to do exactly with the pose and kept working my ass off without direction.

I have a completely different idea by now.
    I realized I approach the activities with a bit of fear and rigidness. It's a contest after all (not like there's any hope with Poshy attending. )

I decided to just go about it like any illustration and keep with the flow of that. Will upload later (once I've drawn it, that is, hah! )

Oh and Kidult: So true! Think you suck and you will.

Lad: I see you like environments? haha, nah, I think I'll do a few studies.

Good point. I need variance and a more comrehensive grasp in light.

Oxy: Thank you. On days like yesterday it just feels good to hear that.

bombchu: Haha, yeah. The groove. The GrooOove. ;P (god I love that movie...)

Iphigen
    : Glad you stopped by! Your english isn't bad at all.
    haha, and it's not just missing shadows. There IS no motion in that.
    And you are helpful.

Darlene
    : Thanks for the support! Yeah, I guess sunshine after rain or so. Uhm...

DestinyApocalypse
    : Haha, yeah. Love that chick+monster theme.
    Can't go wrong with that!

SO. Got back on the horse today.

Warming up with 30 secs. Always fun.
    I tried something different today and tried to break up my shapes differently starting with the most prominent and large optically connected masses. ...if that makes any sense?
    Name:  161P1010001.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  26.4 KBName:  163P1010004.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  41.4 KB
    Name:  16.2P1010002.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  36.8 KB

Hrm.. my 60 secs look much like the 30s. Maybe because I just spent 30 seconds on them. Haha. er... I need to find another approach to doing those.

Oh, also I really tried for speed with the 30 second gestures. Did some REAL quickly and felt real cool about the fluidity and tension some of those lines have. Felt like dancing with a pen.

And some selfportrait. Actually going back into color after the value studies. I kept Maxtormers advice somewhat to heart and kept watching my thumnail.
    It's amazing. Even on my low res blurry photo ref you can clearly see the details and forms in the thumb. So I tried to pushh that in my portrait too.
    Took some liberties with the colors and actually had a fun time with complementary greens and cool and warm greys and violets contrasting some nearby yellows.
    Name:  moi42 copy.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  101.3 KB

And for good measure I give you:
    Name:  moi4refthumb0.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  20.8 KBName:  moi41thumbcopy.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  19.7 KB

(On a side note, I just came out of the shower when taking the pics. That's why I look like lobster. Note to self:...bad idea.)

Oh yeah! I got some new (good) oils and I'm eager to jump into traditional media. Yay! But I'm searching for a good book on techniques.
    I know everybody keeps recommending Richard Schmid but I'm a bit timid to order from America because of the toll and they don't offer insurance. The book would be around 55 Euro. That's affordable but I hope to either find it somewher here or get an alternative.

I'm really more interested in something that deals with the nitty gritty of application, different mediums, wich brushes to use for what and all that stuff.
    I'm a little confused about that right now. I've been painting in oil before but I always manage to violate my brushes somewhat.
    That can't be right!

So there. I'll work out my CHOW some more and just keep being "swooshy".

Edit: Oh I completely forgot! I er, "shook my pretty little feet" as well to get warmed up for painting.
    Name:  foot copy.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  21.1 KB
    Not a masterpiece but I tried figuring out some perspective stuff here. So...

Last edited by DigitallyDumbfounded; October 16th, 2008 at 09:26 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome self-portrait! Good job on the colours to. As for the oils - just do a search lots of info will come up. As for the brushes - just try look after them, If you get a good set and then take care of them, they can last for a very long time and can become good friends. Just make sure to clean after every paint - try not to use turps to clean them cos it messes up the glue in the long run. To clean them nicely 1st squeeze the excess paint out, then take a bit of cooking oil (sunflower or canola oil) and sqwuish the bristles into it, the paint should start to mix with the oil - then just wash of the goo off with dishwashing liquid. repeat if needed (do 2 runs just to make sure)
    When applying the paint do a simple test - load up some paint and push really hard - you get a blob and lots of paint pushes back into the brush. Take the same amount of paint and apply it gently - the paint will go much further so dont mash the brush into the canvas all the time and that will make it last too. Keep a set just for oils and never stand them on their bristles in a jar - they go nice and skew.
    Otherwise just experiment and have fun!

Quick crit on the sp - the neck looks a bit funky and if you look at the 2 thumbnails you'l see a blob on your cheek. For the neck just blend the darker bits more maybe, they are forming a hard edge. And try use a mirror next time (obviously you cant get this pose with a mirror)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Darlene is offline Goddess of Improvement Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, you ARE a she. hee hee. Anyways, I love the new updates, well done! You're really pushing your values. There's something a bit messy and not quite smooth about your colours-- so add different hues for maximum smoothness! Keep at it. I'm seeing a vast improvement everyday! Gogogo!

"The marvels of daily life are exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street." - Robert Doisneau

"I think that each work of art when stripped to its bare bones is essentially a 'connect the dots' picture." - Me

Sketchbook

SSG 70

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Darlene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, very pretty~ then again, all your stuff is I really do like that you're using the bajillion colors in the face technique... lol

By the way what movie are you referencing? lol I was just tired and loopy

I've never done oils though... Hear they take forever and a day to dry =\ good luck.

And me!

Let's learn together!

(Oh, and here's my blog. It's just me and my goofy doodles. Oh, but now there's also my portfolio site!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bombchu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my SB!
    Really like your linework, it seems really alive. You are really improving and the coloring is getting better all the time.
    Oh, and you're a girl too! Amazing how we get these pre-conceived notions! And I'll look for that forum you suggested too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MJ_Alcazar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kidult: Thanks for the advice. I guess I screwed up big time on the brush cleaning so far.
    And yeah, the neck looks a little plasticky. The edges are in fact all a little more subtle in the ref than in my study I think. I mean, the whole jawline is in fact really soft yet has strong contrast.
    These are not really supossed to be selfportraits though but more studies on different perspectives of the head.
    Just don't have another victim available than myself
    But I think I'll do a real selfportrait in oil.

Darlene
    : It's even in my user title.
    And by using more color for smoothness do you mean blending more? Because the portrait is rough. I focused on the thumbnail, meaning the size of the file is about 800 pixels wide and I worked a÷lmost exclusively zoomed out.
    That's why the colors look messy. It was not really meant to be smooth but to be a study on color and value.
    I'll do a lot of those in the next time. So not much smoothness for now. Just thumbnailing.

Bombchu
    : Haha, I was reminded to "The Emperors New Groove". It's a disney movie about an aztec prince who gets turned into a Lama.

MJ: Haha, thanks, yeah. Sometimes I'm really startled about gender. I thought VampireHungerstrike was a girl all of this time till I stopped by his SB and saw his name is John. :X

So, like I said more thumbails, see, Lad, I did an environment. And it sucks.
    Name:  canyon copy.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  35.9 KBName:  canyondesat copy.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  34.5 KB Name:  canyondesat2 copy.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  33.4 KB
    Lol, no really. I had fun with this but judging values was harsh.
    I had the right idea about colors in some areas but was way too saturated and dark.

I should have worked in grayscale from the beginning.

And I fumbled with the CHOW...
    Name:  stilgarmoretrydif copy.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  32.9 KB
    Then decided I liked the old version and gave it another pass.
    Name:  stilgarre copy.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  41.2 KB
    And now I like it. Yay.
    Also, you can't google Dune in google images without running into CAers.

And I had huge trouble with this. Dunno, maybe the scale, this covers a whole a3 page.I had trouble judging the proportions properly at that size. Should have held it at larger distance probably. Or make a thumbnail? Yeah, guess a smaller version as orientation would have been nice.
    Name:  emperor copy.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  79.3 KB

Yup. Girly men.
    Along those lines I tried scribbling something up today and it just didn't want to turn into a woman. So I gave up and here we have a neat, curly mer...man.
    Name:  mer..man copy.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  122.6 KB

His tail and it's internal logic hurt my head. There's some twist on the left side where it's turning into the other direction but I guess it's still confusing. :/

I also did some gestures but didn't have the nerve to scan. Figure they all look much alike anyway.

Edit: Also, why are people thanking my sketchbook posts? Not complaining, was just wondering.

Last edited by DigitallyDumbfounded; October 17th, 2008 at 09:12 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey i really like the woman body study with colours, they were full and wibrant opposed your other pieces that have little pale and lifeless colours. You are struggling with the same thing as me, values in colour.
    Take notice of your colour, what did you do in that study that you do different on other pieces? solve that, tell me and everything shall be yours

Anyway, keep up the posting, more!

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle_Mountain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :b I visit this thread so much... /subscribe

Aaaaah I love your sketches, especially this one. Keep working on the environments!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaytea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your work a lot. Continue practicing like that and you'll become great soon. What I'd like to see is more strength on your gestures, your figures are a little too hieratic (who am I to talk about that heh)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to sodAp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I didn't know that was what you were trying to accomplish. ^^ It still looked great though!

In this case, I love the environment, very awesome! What's all the white stuff at the bottom? And some very nice characters you've got too. Awwesoomme! So keep it up, keep working at it. You're doing great!

"The marvels of daily life are exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street." - Robert Doisneau

"I think that each work of art when stripped to its bare bones is essentially a 'connect the dots' picture." - Me

Sketchbook

SSG 70

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Darlene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanking is part of the whole ssg thing girl! Sweet updates, dont be so down on the enviro, its got loads of potential! The girly man is looking nice too, proportions dont look to bad to me, I think the off-ness comes from him having a nice slouch at too much an angle - looks like he is leaning against something, maybe draw something in or rotate him ( in ps or something) This pic could make a good paint.
    Stilgar's rockin too, his right leg looks pretty good maybe a slight angle on the foot but the left looks like it come foward? Was this the intention? Maybe have it going back more.
    Merman has lovely line - the sweeping tail is cool! but draw them hands better girl! Sign of a good artist is pretty hands and feet!
    But really work on slouchy guy - I like his face and hair!
    Keep rockin Hard!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to say something about line weight, but it looks like Dierat has gone into it in depth.

Relating it to how to get your scanner to behave, you could try to pick up a multi pack of fineliners (say from .05 up to .8mm). After you have your pencil lines exactly how you want them you can go back over them with the fineliners to make them darker. You can save the .8 for those heaviest darkest lines and use the tiny stuff like .05 for the delicate little lines like distant foliage etc. the scanner likes those black lines and fineliners are more convenient than dip pens if you are worried about dripping ink around on the drawing.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yah, yah! They're thanking them because they're very awesome. That's what we did in DSG, it's so awesome we found it useful lol

Merman looks really cool, really really cool! But, like kidult said, those hands... scare me lol but the slouching man bothers me a little... The tummy's definitely giving me a feeling like I'm looking at him from two perspectives. Also, you shoulda scanned the gestures

And me!

Let's learn together!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to bombchu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you the guys head in photoshop? It's coming along really good.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sivart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So. I feel like I didn't get to do anything today. Gah! Where did time go.
    Been sleeping long then doodled a bit and then had to go buy something to eat then had to fumble a bit with my freelance work, seems a client didn't recieve an e-mail! Oh boy. Trouble!
    Anyway.

Sivart: Er, thanks, I'm working in PS. But if you mean the "guy" from my second last post that's me... and I'm a chick.
    If you mean the last post it's pencil.

Bombchu, Kidult: Oh, thanks for clearing that up! I hadn't realized that you thank motivating posts. I mean, it makes sense and is pretty nice actually.

Bombchu
    : Hm, I guess you're right about his stomach. He has a bit of a bellly. But it just seem too much? I think I'll slim him down in PS.

Also, Kidult, eh . The hands. I've been slacking, huh? On the merman I wanted er, such squishy fingertips like a squid? And he does have only four fingers. But I guess they don't look convincing. There you go. Trying to make something more creature-designy... ;P
    Nah, I have to give hands more time.

And the guy is leaning against something, a throne actually.
    I should've really sketched that in, haha. I'm a bit overcritical with this because it's a character I have a certain idea about and found it hard to communicate. He's a bit dazed/drugged.

Darlene
    : Lol, it's water!! It's a canyon but I don't blame you for not recognizing it. ;P

Artorney: Thanks, yeah, I'm not good with ink and scared I'll ruin my images. But fineliner is easier to handle than dip pen. I absolutely ALWAYS end up smearing ink or once I'm done spill some on the picture! Argh!

NettleMountain: Everything? Really? Haha. Nah, I used overlay. Pissy little trick.

Shalite: Oh thank you. That's nice to hear.

SoDap: Hey, thanks for the comment. I'm not sure what hierratic means in this context :/. I figured either too sketchy and symbolic or too stiff.
    Anyway, I guess both is right.

That's why I tried to use my er, Gliederpuppe? today. Like, a wood puppet mannequin? I chose the poses myself and tried for some action. Pew, pew!

Name:  puppet1.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  90.4 KB

And some poses from photo ref.
    In retrospect the ref was a bit badly chosen for anatomy studies. On the kneeling girl everything is dark in the middle so I couldn't tell, just guess where what is. Cool photos though.
    Name:  pinupstudy1.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  58.0 KB

And where I've gotten with my CHOW.
    I surrendered on doing color straight away and thumbnailed my way till here in grayscale.
    Also, I don't know why I'm so studip.
    I don't hesitate tto use reference for anatomy and clothes and everything but for environment I always think it just has to pop into my head!
    Doh!
    Well, there you go. I got some super sweet ref together that actually matched my ideas and now life is easier.
    Name:  stilgarcol copymoarempty.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  95.8 KB

I've had so much more on my schedule but I guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow.
    I'll pull through with CHOW first.

Oh, yeah, alost forgot.
    I couldn't help but pimp this one last time.
    Starting to feel much more selfconfident about cleaning things up and establishing my forms properly. Doesn't have that cardboardish feel anymore, at least not as much.
    Name:  crystaltreemergedownfix csmalopy.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  100.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love what I seeing from your work. The way you draw your lines it has a descriptive effect over the form itself.

Back to the Basics

[http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...hp?t=158168]In My Head[/url]

"Good for you, son. If there's one thing this world needs, it's more lawyers. Could you imagine a world without lawyers?," Lionel Hutz

39. The Following User Says Thank You to crimsoneye For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowowowow! AMAZING work Keep at it, my Sketchbook Support Group buddy! Sorry about the water misunderstanding, I was so tired at the time! I see it now, hehe... I really love your work. It really has this graceful quality to it, I can tell you put your passion to each stroke. My only suggestion, I think, is to continue your studies on tone-- with highlights and shades. What someone suggested, when they did a painting to show you about the directions of light and where the dark offshoots from the light, that kind of study would be really helpful to you I think. ^^ But other than that, you've got form, anatomy, composition and beautiful colours. You're hugely talented and you keep on sending out that work, which is AWESOME. Keep it up! I'm getting to the point of being excited about seeing your next updates So don't let me down-- More more more!

Sketchbook

SSG 70

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Darlene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Crimsoneye.

Darlene: Ah, thanks. Yeah. Value studies. Wanted to do muuuch more today. . Messy time management. Eeesh!

SO, I worked on my CHOW wich is kind of eating my time.
    Name:  stilgarfinalcopy.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  130.4 KB
    Not so happy yet. I ditched the cape but now I need to reastablish the dynamic it gave to the compositon.
    It's all still too round. I think I'm gonna plop in some more diagonal rock structures and probably go back to a small cape as in the previous version.

All comments on that are VERY welcome.
    Tomorrow afternoon is the deadline, or in my timezone actually something way after midnight so I'll still have a full day to work this thing out.

And... uhm, yeah. Guess you can tell I did somewhat related subjects, haha.
    Tried to get a feel for the desert.
    Very cool reference I could find for this.
    Name:  desertmushroom copy.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  102.8 KB

And here the will was there but I just couldn't pull of the structure in the sand. Dunes are difficult as fuck to render properly.
    Name:  dunes copy.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  61.9 KB

And some last update for the CHOW today. We'll see how much I like it in the morning.
    Name:  chow131_digitallydumbfounded.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  142.7 KB

Edit: Ok. So much for last update. ;P
    Pretty much there. Needs a few more sharp edges. Will clean tomorrow.
    Name:  chow#131_digitallydumbfounded.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  192.6 KB

Last edited by DigitallyDumbfounded; October 19th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The composition on this last chow is pretty good! Some lovely brushmarks in the background areas. I feel the dude could do with a bit more love to show form better. If I was to nit-pick I would say he seems to dark to be in a desert setup and the light source should be from the top (sun) and not so much the side. Also looks like clouds overhead, but guess that could be a sand storm?
    The pose worked out really well from the drawing but you have lost a bit of those nice details you had in the sketch.
    Good job on the photo studies. Would recommend some paintings from life too, they are easy to setup and teach you so much at once. Same for the figure painting (I battle for model on that one tho...)
    So keep it up!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Kidult. DO nitpick!
    I brushed him up and lightened some areas and tried to bring back some detail. I figured his coat would throw a shadow and that the sun would come from the left. I read a pretty enlightening (oh, the pun) discussion lately explaining that in daylight there are actually two lightsources. One being the sky as a dome of light, giving flat lighting and one being the sun as a more punctual lightsource. It was in art discussion I think and had some photos and stuff to illustrate the point. But when it comes to cast shadows I... guess a lot? So that's whee drawing from life comes back in. Eh, need to do that!
    Name:  CHOW#131_DigitallyDumbfounded.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  268.7 KB

Do not really like the colorscheme. Meh, but it's done.
    Learned a lot about my process and where I'm loosing time. I just need to be so much more decisive. Anyway.

Did some happy fun time doodling today.
    That means sketching directly in ink and not worry about making mistakes, focusing on long, fluent lines. Mostly from imagination and some from my doll.
    Name:  P1010007 copy.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  53.0 KB

And... uhm well. Yeah, it's fish rodeo, yeeha! So it's either a giant fish or a mini nymph, but that's up to you. I wonder where I've seen this motiv before. I'm pretty sure I had a fairytale book as a child with a similar ilustration or at least some kind of similar story? Anyway. Slightly shocked fish.
    Name:  nymph copy.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  84.7 KB
    Anyone familiar with that story?

Anyway. Not much new. Will do better! :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    The last drawing with the fish is great, cool composition. Maybe the body of the girl has a little bit of flows, i cant pinpoint them so good, but i think you should make here hips a bit wider, or maybe its just me :p.

Thx for the tip with colors btw, i found this little tool on the internet for it.
    kuler.adobe.com . its great to create a colour scheme i think.

Grts

48. The Following User Says Thank You to fullmetaljacket For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice works. I've noticed that since you went back to basics and found the hard brushes, your works are looking a bit sharper and more defined. Nice. The colors tend to get a little muddy, but you're working on it. I know I have a lot of trouble with color... Anyhow, keep the updates coming!

"INSERT CATCHY QUOTE HERE"

...I don't really know...

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Augmenton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Augmenton: Oh god! Thanks! I'm happy it's getting better.
    I think the muddying still comes from detailing too early. :s But I fight with color, I sure do.

Fullmetaljacket: Thanks. Hm, maybe the ribcage is too prominent in the fish drawing? Her hips are suppsoed to be slim, giving her a more childlike figure. But the hand is of! Noticed just now.

Alright.
    Talking of color... I made a few thumbnails to play with different palletes.
    Name:  colorthumb1 copy.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  69.3 KBName:  colorthumb2 copy.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  57.8 KB
    Name:  colorthumb3 copy.jpg
Size:  72.7 KBName:  colorthumb4 copy.jpg
Size:  32.5 KB

Two of the pieces where I tried compllementary contrasts turned out real kitschy? I don't know.
    I'm pretty happy with the desert one, but obviously it's pretty close to the referenced studie. So, hooray for studies!
    Also like the forest one. The water came of nice, I think. But then, that color scheme is pretty close to the mage image. ;P

I'm still a bit directionless here. I think in the next days it's back to making color wheels and basic stuff, since I'm severly confused about the use and effect of groups of colors and their combination. If that makes sense...

Ah, yeah. So, some more doodling.

Name:  lizards copy.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  102.3 KB
    With lizards!

And some more

Name:  gunslingermale copy.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  68.0 KB

And I really had fun with this one.
    I like ships and, uhm, I don't know, I guess a bit of steampunk. Yay.
    (Also I played too much Wind Waker. )
    Name:  happysquid.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  241.2 KB

So, I need to really brush up on the basics! I don't really like how most of my colr schemes turn out. It's like I'm starting of into the right direction and then take a wrong turn somewhere in between and am surprised where I end up. Some of it I do like, but I just want to get better.

Looking at the awesome entries this CHOW I'm just inspired.
    (really, check it out, some insanely good artwork this week!!)

Ok, then that's it for now.

Edit: Wheee! Art epiphany. :3

Ok, it finaly klicked.
    I started of monochromatic here to realise I actually get slight hueshifts from mixing different saturations and brightness levels. Then later I can actually throw in the other hues to spice things up but I don't get as muddy.
    Name:  colorthumbmono1 copy.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  26.4 KBName:  colorthumbmono2b copy.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  38.9 KB

Last edited by DigitallyDumbfounded; October 21st, 2008 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm great work, keep it up!

53. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you have some really cool stuff. I think i like your pencil figure studies the most. I like the colors you've used in some of those thumbnails at the top of your post, however, the overall values and composition of the pieces feel off. Maybe you were just concentrating on colors and such, but the skies seem too dark compared to the lightness of the ground. Great job those, keep those studies up.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1