Thanks

Moleskine Sketchbooks Discontinued? Wot?!

So I bought my first moleskine sketchbook a few weeks ago and it is honestly the nicest thing I've ever drawn in. Perfect size, smooth, thick paper, awesome elastic and nice looking. Totally worth the $20.00.

So I go to the closest DeSerre's to buy a few more and they arent there. I ask the guy at the counter and he does a search and all the Moleskine sketchbooks came up as DISCONTINUED? What?!

I checked their website and didn't really find anything. And when I say that, I actually mean I didn't find anything, I dont see anything even mentioning their sketchbooks? Everything's ruled, graphed or fold-out...

I am panicking, someone save me

Another thing is a friend got one at the local Chapters book store, and the two sketchbooks look the same on the outside, but my paper is thick like bristol, his is thin like newsprint... ?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts

Thanks
    The guy probably just meant discontinued at that particular art store. Because I imagine Moleskine's website would mention something about discontinuing them and probably not mention anything about a line of 2009 planners that might indicate the contrary.

They still sell them in a number of art retailers.

Thanks
    You think they'd stop making a cash cow like that? I wouldn't worry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 919 Posts
    Moleskines discontinued? IMPOSSIBLE.

the ones with the purple labels are the ones meant to be sketchbooks.
    I think it's those with the green labels that have very thin pages like newsprint because they're meant for journalists or the sort for jotting notes down...not exactly suited for ink and watercolor art therapy. :p

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Well, the story is that they were not in print for so long and someone revived them. Something to that effect (it's on that little card shoved in every book). I think they have become too major to discontinue the most sensible one. In fact, it seems their line has really expanded recently. I think Gory is correct. This particular store you went to may have discontinued carrying that item. I had a similar scare once with a paper mache glue I use. The fancy art store I found it at no longer carried it and I was given a similar "It's discontinued." response. I panicked because it was so strong and perfect for what I needed and I was so disappointed with other products. Then, one day, I'm at a hardware store and I see it. It was just typical wall paper paste and in abundance.

I was just at Barnes and Noble and they had tons of them. Not only that but many varieties. The small ones, large ones, soft cover, hard cover, and now they even have these 5 x 8 1/4 ones that they sell in three packs with soft brown covers and less pages than the originals. I think you're good man, come off the ledge. Moleskins have blown up recently. There is such a love affair with them. That bastard at DeSerre's may have taken a year off your life in worries...go taint punch him next chance you get. It'll feel better....for you

Thanks
    you'll fine that if you search around the net the wonderful stupid people at PeTa thinks that Moleskin is just that Skin from moles.. I think it is sad that theses people have no life and no clue what thing are made from.. Moleskin is oilcloth with a paper or cardboard mixed in.. it looks like leather and holds up great over years of uses.
    I was looking on the net for some infor and found a PeTa member on a blog sight and I can't find it now but they were protesting the using of the skin of animal for artist book covers...I posted the info of what Moleskines really is and was streamed at for weeks..even with a link to Wikipedia
    the post was taken down but many still were protesting...I am betting they trying to force stores to drop them ... it funny as i seen PeTa protesting other thing that they thought were endangering animals and the were not..

I have seen pricing dropping on Moleskines products for bit i was wondering if there was just over stock or it was just getting cheaper to make.
    its nice to see them coming out with nicer price but to discontinue them because some is protesting them or sales are low.. then again with oil being high cost (depending what type of oil is used) even vegetable oil is going up due to people trying to run their cars from it.

CC

Thanks
    Hah thanks for the replies, I'm in a much calmer state now...

(And props for the seemingly random bits of knowledge there CC. lol)

- Trevor

Thanks
    i knew it was too good to be true..
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks

Thanks
    softcover 7 1/2x10 cahiers. 3 pack with more paper and size than the hardcovers....

Thanks
    Hmmmm.....I guess they aren` t available in Germany/Austria are they ? I usually use Sketchbooks by Daler Rowney but I am never entirely satisfied with them. The paper is either too rough or thin =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by corky13 View Post
    Hmmmm.....I guess they aren` t available in Germany/Austria are they ? I usually use Sketchbooks by Daler Rowney but I am never entirely satisfied with them. The paper is either too rough or thin =/
    check amazon germany
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.