Sketchbook: Royzy's Sketchbook | [Updated May 3rd] - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds great Alice, I will check that out later today when I get home. Painting hair is something that puts me off giving more painting a go, I'm too worried about my technique.

Thanks for the comment!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided I need to do lots of quick sketches, instead of the more detailed ones I have done so far, if I want to improve quicker and get a strong grip of the basics, proportions, etc.

Does that sound about right?

Here are some quick/speed sketches. Didn't have time for many yesterday, but I'll probably do quite a few over the weekend.

Name:  speed-sketch-3-poses.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  38.5 KBName:  quick-model-sketch-splits.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  22.8 KB
    Name:  quick-model-sketch-arm-back.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  27.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The third one is cool. It has movement inside. Great! ^_^

I have a sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Alice . Not a scratch on your sketches though (but I'm working on it ).

Now that I have started using ConceptArt a bit more seriously, I feel pretty awful when I go away for a few days and come back with little to show. Been faffing around a bit because I went back to Uni today, so I've got lots of places to be again and bus journeys to enjoy...

...anyway, here are some quick sketch pages from the last few days.

Name:  quick-sketches-page1.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  quick-sketches-page2.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  39.5 KB

Yeh I don't know why the one below ended up on its own.

Name:  model-kneeling-reaching.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  25.3 KB

Oh yeah, and if anyone feels my sketches are getting worse, please tell me. I'm someone who until a few months ago was pretty much frightened of putting pencil to paper and now I'm doing these quicker and rougher sketches, I feel a bit paranoid I'm going backwards without realising.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your first digital painting done with a mouse is really impressive ! Keep drawing youre nude figures, you really improved at it ! Keep all that work up ! and do more digital paintings ! I'll come back

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good works!

中华人民共和国万岁!

my Sketchbook!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J.roxanne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Royzy, we know you are able to do nice and clean drawing.
    If now you feel you need to make those more rough sketches, just follow your need.
    I know what you mean, I feel the same somethimes. I'm scared about wasting the time doing something bad, but it's all exercise and mileage, so maybe it's good this way
    Maybe try posemaniacs.com and do some fast gesture studies, it could be a good exercise if you want to train the "fast and rough" side

I have a sketchbook!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alicelefay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walid D - Thanks for that! And thanks for visiting. The 'eye' I have started painting was because of the comment you left me. It seems peer pressure really does work!

J.roxanne Thank you!

Alice - Yeh, it is annoying isn't it - why can't it be just nice and easy? I did go on posemaniacs after you said and the figures I drew were... awful! Haha. Your right though, it is probably going to work out well in the long run.

I really didn't want to upload these, but I thought I better since everyone else makes the effort.

I think I should practice my quick poses a little bit more...!

Haha anyway, here we go.

Name:  posemaniacs-1.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  45.2 KB
    Name:  posemaniacs-2.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  27.9 KB
    Name:  posemaniacs-3.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  42.1 KB

And the eye I started painting last night. Felt like doing a study.

Name:  eye-wip-4.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  34.4 KB

And I got distracted part way, so I flipped it over and made a funny face.

Name:  funny-eyes-har-har.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  37.3 KB

Updates may be sluggish or in bulk for about a week maybe, because I have a group project to finish at uni for next Wednesday. I'll be about though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, those eyes are scary..

i like the first image you posted in #32. the line was quick and confident, and you got the poses down well. the other ones in that post are stiffer, even if you took more time on them. taking more time on a drawing doesn't necessarily make it better. you actually need to be as quick with 30-minute drawings, as you do with 10-minute drawings (because you are still showing life, and life is movement and confidence).
    with longer poses, you have to deal with organizing more elements (shading for example), so you need to balance your time and consider how much to allocate to the initial marks, and how much time for details, etc. however, you also need keep a consistant rhythm and focus, otherwise your mind wanders and you begin to lose interest.

try taking the "i don't care" attitude, and get careless and violent with the pencil - it can help in getting over the model's presence. then you will do some rushed drawings, and you'll know the difference between rushed, and quick.

follow your desires, instincts and gut reactions.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Just_Nonplussed For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Royzy
    I see a lot of great works in here, especially the portraits(the first one rulez ,i like it very much)It have sharp spots and blured and that makes it flow in my eye, nice.
    I am glad i find another person working with Mr.Mouse
    Now i think you should keep studying anatomy to upgrade your characters/character movements. Just try to understand how the body works, and the main volumes and everything will come.Loomis have nice ideas in how to simplifie the body.Get a lot of info from different books and understand(and make a lot of quick figures).After that you will be able to make quick , well stand non ref characters with good motion that will help you also in the animation part, which is an aim for you.

Thank you very much for your kind words in my SB

Keep up

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Royzy View Post
    Walid D -
    Alice - Yeh, it is annoying isn't it - why can't it be just nice and easy?
    It start being nice and easy when you stop thinking too much about the final result and start simply enjoying it! :p

Good work, btw...keep it up!

I have a sketchbook!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to alicelefay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first piece is truely beautiful, would like to see more, keep at it

19. The Following User Says Thank You to L0rin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that your rough sketches are coming along nicely - your 30-sec poses aren't awful at all! They show that you have a knack for confident line-work. I'm actually in a very similar phase as you right now - I want to improve my 'quick sketching' -skills, and I'm doing posemaniacs daily. It's actually pretty fun, isn't it?

Anyway, keep up the good work! I'll definetely keep an eye on your SB.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Arthe Xavier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! Some good and inspiring exercising going on here I see!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Cloister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! keep it up your improving
    hehe scary 'funny face' ;D

25. The Following User Says Thank You to areve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all:

I'm sorry for not posting in so long!

I've been really busy and I have a few deadlines coming up during the first few weeks of February. Got an essay and background environment projects (conceptual, as well as 3D) to do.

I'm really pleased with the feedback I had whilst I was away

Just_Nonplussed - Taking the 'I don't care' attitude is probably one of the most important things for me to achieve, and if I keep doing quick sketches hopefully I'll start to get into that frame of mind.

Your right, my quicker ones do have more life. If someone had told me that a year ago, I probably would of put my fingers in my ears and gone “LALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU” - but now I understand what I need to do.

King Kostas - Thank you, I'm glad it flows into your eye nicely! Using Mr. Mousey wasn't my preference, it was a pain for curves. Do you use it by choice?! If so, you are a brave and patient man!

I downloaded the Loomis books and I have got a few others since Christmas which I think will really help me getting good motion into my drawings - which is essential for my animation, as you said. Now I have to find time to really sit down and read them.

Alice - I'm trying I'm trying! I'm just not used to it, but now that I see results and improvements, I know I will learn to love it.

L0rin - Thank you! I'm trying to get in as much digital painting practice as possible, so as I start developing a habit you will definitely see more here.

Arthe Xavier - Thank you, I'm glad the line work looks confident (my face probably doesn't as I do them though). It is good you are doing posemaniacs daily, I want to get into a good routine of doing them, at least until I'm happy enough to do some without reference.

Cloister - No worries, you have some great stuff! And thanks - if it is inspirational for people, then I am really pleased.

areve - Thank you! Haha I'm glad you like my funny face. I will try and finish that eye when I get a chance.

Right people, I don't have any poses/anatomy homework to show you, I'm sorry. I'll get right back on it when I have a spare few minutes. I know it doesn't take long to sit down and do a few, but my scanner takes a horrendous amount of time to scan. When these deadlines shift I will be churning them out.

Below is the start of my environments project. I apologise for the hideous scans, I just really can't be arsed to scan each page 3 times to avoid the stains unless it is final work.

Name:  environment-thumbs-1.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  26.6 KBName:  environment-thumbs-2.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  30.5 KB
    Name:  environment-thumbs-dev.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  25.5 KBName:  train-in-desert-wip.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  19.3 KB

The train wip above will be a 12 field layout when I submit it, but I plan to paint it afterwards. The other 2 environments I have to do for the project require painting anyway, so you will see finish versions of them early February.

Sorry for the rush post, got so much to do - but so little time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These thumbnails are very nice.Now we wait to see the finished train scene
    keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya.

try to post regularly, even if its a small scrap or thought process. it just keeps it all flowing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    King Kostas - Yep, the train will be finished soon hopefully. Having problems juggling essays and such at the minute, it is annoying having so many deadlines at once. Thanks for coming back!

Just_Nonplussed - Yeh I know I should keep on top of it, it is only for the minute while I get some stuff sorted out. I do want to draw more !

Right thought I'd do some posemaniacs. Below are some 30 second ones, followed by 10 second ones:

Name:  posemaniacs-4.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  25.3 KBName:  posemaniacs-5.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  21.3 KB

And some 10 second ones... these got me so angry! Haha I shall give them another go though, until I get the hang of it.

Name:  posemaniacs-6.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  25.7 KBName:  posemaniacs-7.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  21.7 KB

And just some bits I did earlier to start off a new sketchbook.

Name:  new-sketch-book-start-1.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  25.2 KBName:  new-sketch-book-start-2.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  24.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice nice.Last woman general problems=neck,relation between torso and pelvis.Make another research and you will understand.(Watch the neck like a bended cylinder) The others are details you will fix immediately later.
    I will be here mate to check your progress, i must thank you for visiting my sketchbook

keep up and see ya

31. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers King! Yeh I will re analyse that last woman. Some poses I find really hard to get right, that is one that I thought 'hmmmm' as I drew it. I will keep practicing though.

Here's that train layout I'm going to digi paint. It is my first environment. I quite like the composition I put together, but my draftsmanship ain't so good. I hate having ideas and not being able to make them reality!

Name:  train-desert-layout.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  135.0 KB

Will probably start doing some environment studies, getting lighting right is something I really need to learn about. Need to practice practice practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont worry cause by practicing as long as you can, you will move towards presenting exactly what you think.Thats the magic of drawing and not only drawing things that you see(its boring like that)
    You are in the practice phaze as we are also so we got to keep up
    The sketch is simple with perspective and you will need good skill to color it as you think.
    But it will be a very very good exercise so do it.
    By telling "simple" i mean that in such photos you got to present light/shadow values in a very accurate way so that i will get the feeling of the objects and the space all together.(reflextions in the train etc)

You will learn a lot.COLOR IT!!!!
    see ya

34. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates this last week or so, been really busy, though luckily (or frighteningly) my deadlines are tomorrow so I can start getting back into the habit again.

King - Yeh I'll just have to keep practicing, which is what I'm here for, so I shall do my best.

The coloring of the one above I will do in a week or so. I have to do 2 colored environments for tomorrow afternoon. I have done one, which took me longer than expected and now I have less than 24 hours (that doesn't include sleep) to do another painting AND create a room in Maya (which I haven't started either). Stressss.

It is annoying I have so little time, because the results are less than satisfactory. Ah well, it is all learning.

Here is the 1st coloured environment study I had been doing.

Name:  subway_train_wip.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  95.0 KB

Last edited by Royzy; December 14th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i like it very much.Not any critique, you did it really good.
    Nice feeling
    keep up !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My King - Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! Now that I look at it again I feel a bit more pleased about it.

Haha, but not so much for this piece of crap below!

Name:  golf_course_environment.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  38.3 KB

The image above really didn't take that long, because I was running out of time for my deadline and I was exhausted. Nevermind ey. When I do my desert train image, it will be a lot better.

Anyway, to get back in the mood for all this drawing malarky and to get back into updating, here is some more posemaniacs, we all love posemaniacs.

Name:  posemaniacs-8.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  31.2 KBName:  posemaniacs-9.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  19.2 KB
    Name:  posemaniacs-10.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  28.9 KB

And something I drew earlier from ref when I got home.

Name:  model-drawing-reaching-up.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  99.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am glad you are back
    Well its not bad , just make a study about depth and put some on it.I dont see any depth in there
    keep up the anatomy
    see ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies man! keep pushing!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Josef K. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers guys!

Long time, no post. Find that if you stop, it is hard to get rolling again. Luckily someone who I know has started uploading. So some motivation there!

Naturally, some 10 to 45 second posemaniacs to kick off.

Name:  posemaniacs-11.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  34.4 KBName:  posemaniacs-12.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  18.9 KB
    Name:  posemaniacs-13.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  22.7 KBName:  posemaniacs-14.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  22.9 KB

And now some of the bits that appeared in my anatomy sketchbook since I last uploaded.

Name:  random-quickies.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  119.2 KB
    Name:  first-tonals.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  87.9 KB
    Name:  scraps.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  59.1 KB

^^meh scraps. Then below a few more studies. I got refs from this site. It has lots of photosets. Male and Female, for character artists.

Name:  3-hand-on-head-poses.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  127.4 KB

Bullsey is offline Made by blending lemon and darkness Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, I friggin' love the mood in the digi train!!
    really nice!

WEEEEEE

Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by KILLA-CAT
    It's not supposed to look like a cat because it's actually it's a giraffe.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Bullsey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Roy you are incredibly good at poses haha - I really like the seonc image in #38 - the angled birdseye views on the male figures are really good, that's something I'm awful at

you'll have to show me how to digitally paint properly Really nice stuff dude

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Albino For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8