art education without pre existing art education

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

art education without pre existing art education

ok so im 19 and english and im moving to atlanta in july of next year hopefully, im currently at college here doing my a levels, but i dont study art, i havent since i was like 15

i was thinking about going to atlanta metro college which is a community college, and theyre associates degrees of course, and what i basically want to know is, if i decide to apply for atlanta met and apply for the 2 yr associates degree art course will they turn me down because i dont have pre existing art education

i was thinking because its a community college and its easier it wouldnt be anywhere near as difficult as attempting to get into a college doing a major degree

i mean, would they accept me with my application and a portfolio, or are requirements needed

thanks, hope you guys can help

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok i was just talking to someone, and to my surprise, she told me in the us you dont need pre existing education in a subject to study it as a major

is this true?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, you really don't need any previous education to get an associates degree in the United States. Just proof that you graduated from secondary school, or you can take the GED test, and use that instead of a secondary school diploma.

Of course things vary from state to state, and even county to county. I believe for example, California Community Colleges don't even require a GED or a secondary school diploma.

Some programs within the college though might not be so open, and you will probably have to take placement tests before you can enroll in those programs. But, yeah, community colleges are open admission, you shouldn't have a problem getting in...at all.

Also...if you plan to go to another school afterward, I would get in contact with that school(s) and try to see if they'll accept transfer credits from the atlanta met, and if they do, which ones. So, if you need to follow a course track for your major, maybe you can flex it cover something that will transfer over (e.g., you have to take an art class for your AA, probably the school you may want to go to doesn't accept "art appreciation" but does accept "figure drawing" you may be able to take figure drawing to cover the credits needed for "art class" and at the same time cover credit for that other school you'll want to apply for in the future-talk to an adviser).

If I'm wrong on any of this, I hope someone else corrects me; don't want to give you bad info. But...in the meanwhile, get in contact with admissions at the school and do some research, if you need to call...call. good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks ive emailed 2 community colleges in atlanta, and yeah it seems like they just need to see proof that youve passed the equivalent high school standards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adding to what MetalClay said about transfer credits...Community colleges (and most universities) are not known for having great art programs. You might look into the couple of private art schools in ATL and do a 4-yr degree in a specific major (do 2 yrs of basic classes at a comm/uni, then transfer for the last two yrs at a private school).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is it likely ill even need a portfolio to get into the associates degree at comm college?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tankgirl View Post
    is it likely ill even need a portfolio to get into the associates degree at comm college?
    No. It's a community college which should be open admission to all. You don't need a portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i could take the 2 year associates at community college and then transfer to a college like savannah to do 2 years of a major like illustration?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    so i could take the 2 year associates at community college and then transfer to a college like savannah to do 2 years of a major like illustration?
    It probably wouldn't be quite that simple, since an art school like SCAD is going to have required classes that you won't be able to fulfill at a community college. It might be more like another two-and-a-half to three years.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the systems just different from here and its refreshing to see theres more freedom in what youre allowed to study and without prerequisites at these community colleges

so for my retarded mind, you mean it would more likely be 2 years at comm college then 3 doing my major?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on your schools. It tends to be pretty difficult to transfer into an art school and retain all your previous credits. I knew a lot of people that transferred into my school that had to take a bunch of Freshman classes anyway.

I'd tell you to check with admissions, but they tend to be pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like that. I'm not really sure who ultimately decides on what credits transfer. You might be able to fulfill literature classes outsides of art school, science credit(s) should be fine, art history is a maybe, any studio classes is most likely a no.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just thought i'd mention that savannah does not require a portfolio for admission, just for scholarship consideration. So technically, the community college route may not even be necessary!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh wow
    so like is that because the first like 2 years of the major is the basics meaning they dont expect you to come into the program being all amazing and talented?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so for my retarded mind, you mean it would more likely be 2 years at comm college then 3 doing my major?
    Alright, as someone who went to a local university (uni is different than a community college), took 2 yrs worth of classes and had every one of them transfer into Savannah College of Art and Design (which also has a branch in Atlanta), no that is not the case. Hell, I didn't even contact SCAD about the classes, I just took out their list of courses needed for the major I wanted, then took similar classes at the uni. If you take art courses they may request a portfolio, or class materials to show that you're on the same level as you would be if you'd taken the SCAD class, but that's no big issue.

You can do this with many art colleges in the US so you don't have to pay huge fees to take math/science/english at an art school, when it's only $300 to take them at uni.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.