Upgrading from PS6 (and more!)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Upgrading from PS6 (and more!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Upgrading from PS6 (and more!)

Hi!

In the next several months I'm planning on buying a computer, in which I'd need some help THERE. But I also want to get my very own Photoshop program! I've been using PS6 for years now, which I borrowed from a friend.

I just don't know which one might be the best choice, because I've had very limited experience with all the versions after 6 (even v7). For those who have experienced some of the later versions of Photoshop, could you just give me some of your experiences using the programs--maybe pros and cons to help me figure out what I should get?

I also have to decide which tablet to get that will fit on my little desk. I'd used a Graphire 2, but it's broken now. If you have any top picks, I'd really appreciate it! I could also look again for tablet info around here, but there might be new stuff that I haven't heard of!

I'll just note that some devices I'd probably have trouble using because I have trouble seeing smaller things... So if you know of anything pretty accessible, I'd love to read about it!

And...this is a tall order, but I DO need computer help. I hear about "building your own" and I was reading a great post yesterday about building one. If you have any advice, I'm telling you, I would be thrilled!! I have a 9-year-old Dell computer that's slow and dying, but has the best CRT monitor in the house (and the least viruses). I thought maybe I could get another Dell. ^_^ And a bigger monitor. I can't use my laptop, it always distorts my pictures with its immutable "widescreen" dimensions.

Anyway, sorry if I put too much into this Photoshop thread. I REALLY need help. I don't want my old computer to die on me before I get all this stuff! And I miss doing digital art. -_-

Thank you in advance!!! If this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry! >_<

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, i've used PS 6 i think to start with and then 7.0 and now i have CS. I didn't find it thát different, all stuff is still in the same place, overall just more convenient. I don't think it's something you really need much info about from others, just get the most recent version, cos they will upgrade from that in the future, so you'll have to learn about it anyways. Have you checked the Photoshop-site? You can download the latest PS there to try out for a month or something, they are also very eleborate on what the changes are and what things are new compared to older versions. That might help you with the decisionmaking. Also, check up youtube, there are always people putting stuff there.

For the wacom thing.... I'm gonna be a pain and say: Go check the lounge. There are a million threads about how people decide to buy a tablet, so it would be pointless for me to try to combine those posts with all that info. I think Stark also tried to make a sticky/faq for buying wacoms at some point.

Regarding the computer, i can't be much help. Overall, computers these days are about the same quality, there aren't extremely drastic differences in how they perform. Most brands work well enough and provide similar care. The mac is something that's more popular with DTP and art-people, but it's not necessarily the only computer you need to create art. These days, you can buy only parts of computers, so you don't have to replace everything at once. Best is to look up professional forums with lots of geeks who can explain you all the ins/outs of different computerparts and their advantages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Cookiedough. I actually looked at the Adobe site yesterday, and I see they're coming out with CS4. I read some reviews about CS3 and CS2, but I was hoping I could also hear some perspectives from those doing digital art on it.

As I said about the tablet, I can still look around here. But thanks for the heads-up about a sticky/faq on it. I'll see if I can find it.

Don't worry about the computer thing. I just saw the thread yesterday on here about someone getting a new one, and I thought maybe someone here could help me too. ^_^

Eh, perhaps I shouldn't have made this thread so hastily...but I have a desperate need for some closer help on the subject, and I've been hearing really good advice from many of you on here. Well, either way, I'm glad for any pointers or direction! Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzW View Post
    Hi!
    Hello

In the next several months I'm planning on buying a computer, in which I'd need some help THERE. But I also want to get my very own Photoshop program! I've been using PS6 for years now, which I borrowed from a friend.
    Several months is ages in the computer world. Never ever do you want to ask a question about "which should I buy?" when you won't even have the money for another six months. New things will be out, others will be outdated, newer things will be coming out. We move faster and faster.

I just don't know which one might be the best choice, because I've had very limited experience with all the versions after 6 (even v7). For those who have experienced some of the later versions of Photoshop, could you just give me some of your experiences using the programs--maybe pros and cons to help me figure out what I should get?
    There isn't really anything different about one from the other. 7.0 is an updated version of 6.0 with more features. CS is a an updated version of 7.0 with more features. CS2 is an updated version of CS with more features. It just goes up and up. Money permitting, just get whatever the latest version is. You can also try to get a hold of student versions of the program (assuming you're a student of some sort) which is considerably less than a commercial license. They are the same exact software, just the licensing doesn't allow you to use it for commercial purposes.

I also have to decide which tablet to get that will fit on my little desk. I'd used a Graphire 2, but it's broken now. If you have any top picks, I'd really appreciate it! I could also look again for tablet info around here, but there might be new stuff that I haven't heard of!
    The Intuos line from Wacom is pretty much the standard.

And...this is a tall order, but I DO need computer help. I hear about "building your own" and I was reading a great post yesterday about building one. If you have any advice, I'm telling you, I would be thrilled!! I have a 9-year-old Dell computer that's slow and dying, but has the best CRT monitor in the house (and the least viruses). I thought maybe I could get another Dell. ^_^ And a bigger monitor.
    You've got a lot of options. I'm glad to hear you are up for building your own computer. It's pretty much the best way to go. You'll get a better machine for cheaper.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with getting something name brand. Like I said though in the beginning of my post, I can't be of much help to you if you aren't getting it now.

When you're ready come back and give me a budget, what you're looking for in a computer, and if there has been anything you've been really interested in (i.e. buying a Mac, building your own, what have you) & I'll walk you through everything you need to know.

As for displays, it's the same deal. Dell has some of the best monitors out there though, so that's something to keep in mind.

- Adam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Adam! My money comes bi-weekly, but I think I should be able to let you know soon what I need and what my budget is. I so have to get a computer, before anything else. That much I know. And I do love the Dell computers. That Dell I mentioned briefly, that's worked for me better than almost every computer I used in any building. Poor old thing.

I'll let you know... And it looks like I might have to check out that CS4 after all. I hope it's not slow like some people are guessing from the information already there. o_O That's partially why I wondered if one version was still better. I think, as hard as it is, I'll have to get the regular non-student version, cuz I do want to sell some stuff.

I'll see what's up for the Intuos...that one was sort've in my head, but I wasn't sure. I saw Cintiq, but thought against it because ...the price. ;_;

Anyway, I'll return here and update with my info!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you're definitely want to get the rig before anything. Like I said, when you've got some cash set aside and are ready to get going just give me that bit of info and I'll try to get you running with the best machine I find you

Cintiq's are damn sexy, but with a new machine, plus a commercial version of Photoshop, you're looking at one hell of an extra bit of money. Don't worry though, not really many people need nor go for them. Man can have his dreams though :p

- Adam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hear much about the Cintiq... I would be spoiled from using it, I know it! That's if it's large enough in size...and if I were rich. HA! O_O

I'll get back to you, Adam!! I have to save up the money I need, and I'll look around as well, JUST in case! I'll say this much: I would pay 2,000 ish (or more) if I save up like a good girl. :3

Again, thank you!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.