Monster Hunter 3 hype thread
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Monster Hunter 3 hype thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monster Hunter 3 hype thread

for those who have never played a MH game, the basic idea is to just have a more kickass set of armor than your friends' .... the only way to do this is to set out into the game's environments and take down one of the dozens of dragons/wyverns carve them up and start hoarding away their pieces for weapons and costumes.
    The game plays out more like a fighting game (against a boss) than like an RPG. it gets brutally difficult, but very rewarding.

MH3 Pics

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169975

The producer and director discuss new environments, monsters, and gameplay.
    By Kevin Gifford, 09/17/2008
    Ryozo Tsujimoto and Kaname Fujioka have some serious work ahead. The producer and director of Capcom's Monster Hunter series respectively, the two project leads have seen their little game series -- a simple concept, really, just run your questing hunter around a bunch of fantasy environments and bag dragons and giant birds and things -- balloon into one of the hottest new game franchises in recent Japan history, with six titles and over 5.5 million copies sold in that nation alone. Catching that sort of lightning in a bottle (and further divvying the lightning up and cramming it into the plastic cases Wii games come packed in) is a tall order for anyone, but Tsujimoto and Fujioka are up to the task -- in this week's issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine, the two developers offered the first concrete details behind Monster Hunter 3, a game that seeks to reinvent the entire series while retaining everything gamers love to bits about it.

"Stating that we're trying to return to basics might give people the wrong idea, but the basic concept behind this project is to re-evaluate the Monster Hunter series from the ground up," Tsujimoto told Famitsu. "The ideas we've come up with as part of that re-evaluation process are finally beginning to take shape in the game right now."

What brought this rethinking process about in the first place? As Fujioka puts it, the decision to switch platforms from the PlayStation 2 to Nintendo's Wii (first announced last fall by Capcom) played a huge role: "Changing the platform allowed us to remake the game system at the root level. That was really key. Monster Hunter 2's system was largely an expansion on the original, but most of us on the design staff thought that simply extending on the first game would make truly expanding the gameplay difficult. With this, the platform's new, and it was an opportunity for us to start over from the beginning, from the graphics and monster handling on up. It's a groping, trial-and-error process like what we had in the first game."

As before, players will take up the role of mercenary hunters, accepting quests from the local village or city broker and setting off to explore a wide range of fields packed with wild monsters. Variety has always been something Monster Hunter's good at, with your hunter capable of everything from simple fishing to creating elaborate traps to snare dinosaur-sized game, and 3 seeks to further expand on that variety. As Tsujimoto explains, the AI that drives every environment's creatures has been vastly expanded: "How the monsters in each field are related, and how they live with each other, plays a large role in the game. In previous games, the situations you encountered in each area were scripted to some extent, but here, everything is constantly on the move in each environment, so your experience changes with that."

How does this work in-game? "Just as one example," Fujioka explains, "monsters up to now were largely discrete in nature, not really concerned much about others. In this game, they are constantly being influenced by who and what is around them. If the main boss monster in an area moves just a little, the entire situation nearby changes. Monsters deliberately attack each other all the time."

Sadly, nothing was revealed yet about Monster Hunter 3's Wiimote-driven control system. Instead, the developers preferred to concentrate on the game's new environments, including a tropical island filled with caves, forests, and even underwater sections where you'll hunt sharks and enormous sea serpents. As before, the game's playable either standalone or with up to four players online, although details on how online gameplay will work on the Wii were undisclosed.

Japanese gamers will get their first taste of Monster Hunter 3 on October 9, when Capcom unveils a playable version at their booth in the Tokyo Game Show. The title's a long way away from release (no date has been announced for Japan), but producer Tsujimoto is pretty confident that it'll please the legions of Japanese fans watching its every movement. "The third game will show gamers which way the series is going on home consoles," he told Famitsu. "I hope everyone eagerly awaits it."
    apparently you can swim now, we'll see if there's Wiimote aiming for projectiles or not ... that would be very welcome!

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some sweet concept art. Gotta love those dinosaur-based dragons.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been drooling over MH art lately too. There's even a butterfly themed armour. I have this desktop BG of a chick in pretty regular plate armour which seems to be from the first game, it's not as far out. It's not very high rez, and it has a badly shopped on BG.

Know where to find a highrez of it, with a white BG? Mine is just 800 by 600 or something.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i recommend this Monster Hunter concept art book, one of the best art-of books i've ever seen. much of it is concept art for assets never created, and creatures that have yet to appear in the game's world. and it comes with a scrap book of tons of B&W sketches

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...r-70-2m7y.html

finally got my Kashula Daora armor!

my website

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought the first game for the PSP, but couldn't get into it. I don't know why it seems pretty much impossible, the monsters dish massive carnage in rounds. I guess you need a few friends to play with, but how am I going to find several friends all with PSPs and all with copies of a rare game?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a hard time designing armor, but this guy has some crazy ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    translated interview

it looks like they're really working this one from the ground up. sounds good to me .... 30% complete it says, well it's going to be a while before it gets translated : /

underwater lair area \/ \/ \/ awesome

my website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tokyo Game Show trailer

Tokyo Game Show trailer

good stuff!

my website

Thanks
    Thanked 4,630 Times in 1,732 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    I've been drooling over MH art lately too. There's even a butterfly themed armour.
    Yeah! is for female gunner characters been using that set
    to complete my missions,
    altough it can get you up to minus 12 on cold resistance . . ouch
    combo it with the seven novas ladybug heavy bowgun
    for an insect look Armour set :-)

Nice Thread Sammy, you gonna keep us posted on all the new MH 3 goodies
    this game has such a tight art direction, feel like is gonna age well and still
    look good 10 years after.

for folks who havent played it: it is very hard to get into it at the beginning
    specially with all the tutorials, pretty intimidating, but once you got the idea
    is very very very addicting and fun , lots of gameplay hours and has extra
    download content too, and you can carry it with you,
    and play it for short period, pause and play later on the spot you left it, pretty sweet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by robogabo View Post
    Yeah! is for female gunner characters been using that set
    to complete my missions,
    altough it can get you up to minus 12 on cold resistance . . ouch
    combo it with the seven novas ladybug heavy bowgun
    for an insect look Armour set :-)
    i love the crank the butterfly armor into evade+2 --- it's easy to do with the jewls, and you are completely invulnerable while you are rolling and you get some extra invulnerability time with the "holy shit" jump.
    also you can change the buttery colors on the outfit :]

I've been farming the Taostra, in an effort to complete the armor set ---- so i can defeat the Akantor, that beast has been slaughtering me for months : /

the skies of croda forums are back up, lots of info on whatever MH needs you may have:
    www.skiesofcroda.com

two more TGS gameplay vids, off camera:

http://gamekyo.com/videoen13278_mons...-from-tgs.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41261.html

EDIT:
    2 player split offline splie-screen

Last edited by Sammy; October 10th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

my website

Thanks
    Thanked 4,630 Times in 1,732 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the game trailers video is the only one i could load, and it was awesome!
    i hope folks can play online with the wii when it comes out.

Also i wonder how difficult would be to do a patch to play the psp
    version online too.

i'm fighting my way into HR 5 right now with the heavy bowgun still :-P
    just defeated Shen garoen . . . could not kill or carve from it's shell but
    still got some materials . . .

using a rathalos soul armour set . . but for some reason could not
    make guards for gunners? only blademaster? i guess i havent unlocked the azure materials for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45734.html

I really like what they did with the grass/cliff terrain. I've got a soft spot for games which manage to actually do things with textures. Too many games just blur grass and cliff together and toss it onto some kind of wavy perlin noise terrain. Some old PlayStation games were really good at letting the textures make the geometry seem more complex than it were.

The cliff texture (17 seconds in) has some interesting macro features, it doesn't appear to be just a generic rock texture slapped on there.

The grass feels like it has the right amount of noise, and it effectively marks walkable surfaces since vertical surfaces have the cliff texture. Also, the ground varies hue from fresh green to burnt brown/yellow and has a nice tempo with rougher patches. I think it's nice with simple flat grass like this because it makes the figures easier to spot. I use the same philosophy when flocking my miniature bases. It's really tempting to mix gravel, grass, little bushes, skulls, etc, but doing so creates a background noise which breaks up the figure. Star Ocean has some nice creature designs but if you look at 1:30 in this video... I think it's an example of a texture which destroys the characters moving on top of it. It also has grass just randomly bluring into dirt.

I think one thing which few games do well is... 'bridges' between features. Grass/foliage often pops because it's a separate thing from the grass texture. I saw an example recently where someone had used shorter grass which had the same texture and color feel to it as the ground texture which it was placed upon. It gave the otherwise flat ground texture dimension, like it was breaking the laws of texture physics in a subtle way. It could also act as a bridge to taller foliage which is more different from the ground texture.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Prometeus, Nice. Though that's a clip of Monster Hunter G. The PS2 port also coming to Wii... In case you didn't know

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did not. But it's a new trailer! Unless it's old. I like how it looks, nontheless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like another game for the Wii that I must check out!

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a coincidence, I was just reading the art book few days ago. Love their designs for the monsters. Amazin details.

Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is this from Monster Hunter? Because if it is...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought another book. Monster Hunter CG Art Works.

Basically it's all the in game graphics cutout.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i never noticed this thread
    this is easily my favorite game series (having chalked up about 1500 hours over the whole series starting with the ps2 and then all 3 psp titles)
    and i dont see any end in sight to my time wasting
    i was lucky enough to find a copy of the big 2 book set and i think i have wasted a few dozen hours just studying thta
    does anyone know the names of the concept artists though?
    the art books i have are 100% japanese hahaha
    i always thought MH would make a good weekly challenge
    that would tie in all 4 weeklies
    enviro
    ID for weapons
    character for armor
    and creatures as well
    i would skip work for a week to do all 4 hahaha

did anyone enter the weapon design contest that just ended
    i only found out about it this weekend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Parka81 View Post
    I bought another book. Monster Hunter CG Art Works.

Basically it's all the in game graphics cutout.

I'm so burned that they took the lobster armor out of the stateside releases. It's so good looking!

I can't wait until this comes out, although it looks like it is being delayed just a bit, since it's not on Nintendo's Q1 release list (heard this second hand)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Parka81 View Post
    What a coincidence, I was just reading the art book few days ago. Love their designs for the monsters. Amazin details.

I... Want... That... Artbook!!!....

I just adore the Capcom design team!... How much did it cost you?... And does it include artworks from Monster Hunter Tri?...

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by seba_boi View Post
    I... Want... That... Artbook!!!....

I just adore the Capcom design team!... How much did it cost you?... And does it include artworks from Monster Hunter Tri?...
    The book was published in 2008 so it doesn't include that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monster Hunter Tri english sit open

SKETCHBOOK

Jeff Jones was advised "No piece of art is ever a failure, because you never come away with less than you started with. ''

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.