Art: Large post - big download

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Large post - big download

Hi. I've lurked and occasionally posted comments here for a while. I'm a newbie in terms of digital painting (got my wacom tablet in June), and painting in general (i dont paint at all in real life, just digital.) I've never posted anything in the finished works forum, so I figured I should take the risk and humbly put my work up for critique I'm not sure what I like more... coming up with an idea for something, or actually drawing it. Most of my images have a detailed explanation I've written to go with them, so please excuse the length of this post. Oh, and if you do critique these individually (thanks), keep in mind that I'm well aware of the major problems like impossible lighting and perspective in some cases, perhaps you can point out problems I might not have noticed though.

=

[This was created to fit into a version of the Treasure Planet universe, based on the movie]

Name of Warship: Sa'd as-Su'ud (Luckiest of the Lucky)
    Length: ~175 ft.
    Weaponry:

24x medium-powered directed energy weapons with hardwired power limiters disabled, allowing a high powered rapid-fire burst to be made. However this drains solar cells too quickly to be efficient except in dire situations. The cannons are designed for long-range or broadside combat applications, and as such, are limited in articulation. They are largely automated, with a complex firecontrol computer doing most of the calculations, however guns can be manually tasked to specific targets by individual gunners, if needed. The gun ports on either side have armor plating that slides upward to unmask the weapons. For a real-world power comparison, think of a laser equivalent of 105mm howitzer.

Small compliment of active and passive mines.

4x fully articulating manned gun emplacements. 2 that are concealed within the hull on either side and open out into firing position, and 2 that are collapsable on deck. Quad light guns each, think of the laser equivalent in power of a quad 30mm / 65 cal anti-aircraft gun.

2x metal chaff mortars, aft mounted. Designed to launch a mortar which explodes creating a cloud of metal chaff that, when in contact, causes electrical shorts in the circuitry of the solar sails, slowing down any pursuing vessel.

Miscellaneous light weapons (along the lines of .50cal machineguns, 7.62mm machine guns, 40mm grenade launchers, etc.) can be on installed on pintle mounts for forced boardings and such. These are individually manned weapons.

Crew: Roughly 15-90 crewmembers, depending on comings and goings of hired hands and adventurers. 15 core loyal officers on board make sure things run efficiently. Captain and Executive Officer are not included in the total.

Catamaran type hull design, 4 main engines. Heavily armed, highspeed warship. Fair amount of cargo space afforded by the twin hull design, however a good deal of it is occupied by the upgraded engines, cannons, stores of food and such for long ventures into the Deep Etherium, and any type of loot brought back from captured ships. One of the hulls has a bay for 2 long boats, similar to the one seen in the movie, though lightly armed.

Origin: Ship's two hulls were previously single hulled, generic, robust, utilitarian cargo fairing spacecraft. Their simple and effecient design led to a long and successful production run. The simple design lends itself to modification, and they have been modified to haul just about anything imagineable. Nowadays, they have been replaced by more advanced concepts, but can still be found all over the universe, heavily modified, in original form, or rusting away in scrapyards. Their availability has made them a prime choice for those that can afford to barter for a hull, and have time to overhaul it to current standards.

Top Speed: ~155mph
    Maneuvering Capabilities: Moderate

Concept weapon for space cowboy/pirate/cyberpunk hybrid that goes along with the space-pirate ship I posted, and is loosely based on the Treasure Planet universe.

A massive 7.62mm machine-pistol. These heavy weapons would be useless because of their massive recoil, if it weren't for the advent of 'smart' amunition. The bullet is made of a smart composite material that responds to signals from a cybernetic guidance emplant in the operator's optic center of the brain by changing shape, which alters its aerodynamic qualities, thus allowing the operator to steer the bullet a modest amount along the weapon's original line of fire. Obviously steerage is limited by the bullet's kinetic energy, and has its limitations.

A directed energy pulse-wave pistol that fires a strong fixed dispersion shockwave. The grip is made from the bark of luminescent Ianyre wood that grows in the swamps of the deserted world, Qeuke, and has certain physical properties that make it ideal for use as a grip. It is light, bonds with the hand of the user making it near impossible to be disarmed by assailants, though it is exceptionally difficult to let go of unless one has learned certain tricks. It also absorbs much of the effect of recoil. Often used to blast sailors on a boarded vessel into the air or over the rails, and away from the gravity sphere of the ship, rendering them helpless.

This is my design for a space based sensor platform. Basically it would combine the following responsibilities into one vessel that could operate in a small action group or as a part of a larger fleet:

1. ELINT and SIGINT collection (electronic and signals intelligence). It would use its numerous antennaes to collect long range emissions and also hyper-space communications.

2. Decryption, analysis, translation, and distribution of the resulting intelligence reports.

3. Command and Control. Basically it would house the command staff for whatever action group or regional occupational force it was a part of, with facilities for strategic planning and tactical command and control.

4. Communications. It would act as a communications relay between smaller craft in an action group with less powerful transmitters. It would also use it's large communications arrays to report back to regional command nodes.

5. Electronic countermeasures. It would provide support to action groups by jamming enemy sensors, or engaging in other deception operations.

It is moderately armored and armed well enough to make it a decent fight, however its main advantage in battle is its manueverability and speed advantage over most heavy cruisers and battleships.

This is the advanced force of a planetary invasion. The light cruisers and fast attack craft are taking out exo-atmospheric defenses, and hope to take control of the space port for strategic purposes. [starfield didnt turn out as good as I'd hoped, oh well]

This is Poseidon. Well, halfway through with this the 22mb PSD got corrupted and I had to re-do everything from a low-res JPG, so this isn't as detailed and cool as I had wanted it to be, but I think its still kind of a nice sketch.

This is a massive machine that generates earthquakes, as evidenced by the cliff/sinkhole in front of it. Its methods and technology are unknown (though some sort of magnetic wave is suspected). It is a weapon of conquest, used by its operators to destroy underground cities that would otherwise be incredibly costly to destroy because of the inevitable casualties that would be incurred from tunnel-to-tunnel fighting in the ambush-rich environment.

This is a sentinel, a guardian of the cyberspace infrastructure. It exists in the future, at a time where the net as we know it has become something far more advanced and pervasive. Virtually everyone, and every thing is jacked in. It has become the backbone of a new civilization. In this new age, any malfunction in cyberspace can have catastrophic consequences in real-space. The concept of mutually assured destruction has long since become obsolete, replaced by techno-terrorists, cyber-criminals, vigilante hacker communes, and state-sponsored cyber-attacks. Today, under Cheyenne mountain where NORAD was once headquarted, a new type of soldier watches over the globe for any threat that may arise. These are net guardians, sentient programs that harness the processing power of human brains, genetically engineered and farmed specifically for the task, connected to vast arrays of supercomputers and redundantly connected to major network backbones. They are ever vigilant, prowling through cyberspace in numerous forms, safeguarding critical infrastructure points. Unknown to the governments that control them, the minds within the machines were undeniably human and have become virtual beings that exist only in the realm of cyberspace.

===
    Thanks for taking the time to look through these images, and especially if you took the time to read all my descriptions hehe.

Last edited by My3blka; November 10th, 2003 at 08:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff man, this is what concept art truely is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful stuff man.. only thing is, they look pretty dark.. is it my monitor?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It probably is your monitor Loop, I can see everything just fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hold on, lemme just pick up my jaw . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your stuff, especially all the detail in text. It gives your images a certain substance and depth. The images are nice and tight. You clearly have a passion for the stuff. One thing though, black is good, but there is also colour in shadow. It gives a picture greater dynamic, even in space!
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks I'm glad you liked them. That is a really good observation about color in shadow. I often neglect that, and highlights too.

loop: im not sure, my monitor seems to be unnaturally bright because often I have to up the brightness of an image for the subtle details to be visible on other monitors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid work all around! I´m a sucker for stories based on pictures........excelent job, and as gasmask said, thats what concept art is all about. :thumbsup:

Aside from the errors you yourself mentioned (perspective of the environment espeacially and lighting) i cant point out any other flaw. Love the dirty,wet,patchwork,cyberpunk feel to the last picture. 5 star work regarding the concepts IMO, however impossible they might be .

Peace! :chug:

Sarc

Pick some flowers, u pick them and leave them
    On ur lap, so its perfume can soften the moment
    -this moment in which we calmly dont believe in anything,
    Inocent pagans of decadence...

Fernando Pessoa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VEry good work,My3blka!
    I like you design of space crafts most!

Sjajno!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, I'm glad you like them. I understand that there are problems with them, I'm still learning. Hopefully I can take an art class next semester to get some better practice in a structured environment.

sarc: that last image is the most recent, I've been reading a lot about cyberpunk so I think I'd like to explore some more drawings in that kind of universe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then i recommend a Book (not an art book) called "Schismatrix" by Bruce Sterling. It is a heavy Cyberpunk book.....well not actually an entire story but a collection of short-stories based on the same characters and universe. Its descriptions actually made cyberpunk the way we see it today. great inspiration...well at least for me......

I definatly liked your picture, and would love to see more, so keep postin´!

Peace!:chug:

Sarc

Pick some flowers, u pick them and leave them
    On ur lap, so its perfume can soften the moment
    -this moment in which we calmly dont believe in anything,
    Inocent pagans of decadence...

Fernando Pessoa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My3blka
    What nationality are you?

Your nickname means Music in Russian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sarc - I'll have to check that out. so far the only cyberpunk novel I've read is Idoru by Gibson, and I'm currently reading a book that is about cyberpunk and cyberculture.

Boris - da, ya nyemnogo govaru po-russki. I studied for 2 years and only remember a few words and sentences. i liked the language though, maybe i'll study it more seriously in college

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by My3blka
    i liked the language though, maybe i'll study it more seriously in college
    Wait, how old are you?

These look incredible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. I'm 18, I started college this semester, but still don't feel like it because of circumstances I was only able to take 1 class (anthropology, folklore). I'm really looking forward to taking some art classes to learn more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW...nicely done...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work. There is some great metal rendering and the texture of these pieces helps them look real. This is the point of art like this--the concept behind it is perhaps not capable by humans yet, however it can still be concieved by us

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :rambo: ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man... have you posted those gun images before? I swear I've seen them before. Or something similar. I like that 2D view with some 3D qualities about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow.

Just... wow. These are jaw-droppers man. Great stuff!!!!

[insert clever thing]

-Halis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

helix: I may have posted the guns in the WIP forum, I'm not sure. They are also posted elsewhere on the net. glad you like them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, man, those are great. I especially like the spaceships.

To summarize the summary of the summary : people are the problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.