Drawing stuff in RealLife is hard
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Drawing stuff in RealLife is hard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Drawing stuff in RealLife is hard

Every time I draw a cup or something from life, it looks horribly disfigured. Thus, I don't want to continue drawing, because Im thinking Im never going to learn this.

This is normal right? To experience yourself wanting to give up?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Zaxser is offline Steph Laberis Fanboy Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please, for the love of all that is holy, be like this guy and not like this guy.

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

tomwaits4noman is offline well, that's a pipe of a different color Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at least you're realistic... quit and save yourself the hassle of hard work that will see you progress as an artist and SAVE US the hassle of trying to dispensing useful and well meaning advice

if they post requesting information how to improve and progress then they will be greeted with a much more helpful response.

Last edited by tomwaits4noman; September 17th, 2008 at 09:16 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems that the latest bandwagon is being a asshole, right guyz?

Anyway, go buy Drawing on the right side of the brain by betty edwards (and as recomended by elwell a few thousand times now)

It will deal with every problem you have now, show you the techniques how to get past it and explain why your having these issues.

anyway the problem is most likely that your not thinking in the same way as we do, youve just got to learn how.

(lol im being super nice today even got you a link )
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Drawing-.../dp/0007116454

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nrx, it's not really being an asshole. It's that there have been loads of threads recently of people asking very similar things, like this is some sort of life therapy board. I guess some of us are just a bit tired of seeing it.

Dead-Teady - It's supposed to be hard and challenging. If it was easy, what would you be learning? If it's *that* hard, maybe you're jumping in too fast. Try breaking the objects down into simple, solid shapes, keeping in mind the negative spaces as well as the objects.

Last edited by B u r l; September 17th, 2008 at 07:11 AM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's asking a legitimate question imo, although it is shrowded in a bit of emo.

But the point is, hes having bad results because his mental process is wrong for the job, telling him to keep working at it or mocking him isnt going to help him find the right mental process.

i think for a few of us we discover how to switch brain sides by ourselves, but if you want to learn and dont know how i can only imagine how demorilizing it must be when you struggle to draw the perspective on a cup. but its not because you cant draw it, its because your not drawing it your drawing your left brains perception.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrx For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You need to draw what you see, not what you think you see.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a suggestion actually from the book, Drawing On the Right Side of The Brain:

Make a viewfinder. Get a small piece of clear plastic (not too thin or thick), maybe 6 inches by 6. Make a frame from thick paper that is study enough for you to hold while drawing, the opening being of course, 6 by 6 or whatever size you're comfortable with. Draw a six square grid on this plastic sheet and tape it to the frame.

Its a gridding method, but this is extremely helpful in helping you start drawing from life. It'll take patience and practice, but breaking down the composition into small shapes will help you see better. That's another thing, when you draw something, you're not supposed to see the object. You're supposed to be the shape of the object. That might be part of your problem right there.

While the book is a good resource, the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook is much more helpful and comes with an already made viewfinder. With that good luck. Don't hate drawing because you can't do it well! If you look it at that way you'll never improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would recomend doing simple things first, like a ball or a puzzle peice. I know I have the same problem but if you find something with good contrast (like a glass bottle or a hanging curtain) it will look more impressive then a shoe or some random object that you don't really know what it is to begin with.

Art is hard, but it should be "fun" hard. Make it more enjoyable too by drawing something you like or holds meaning for you. This will motivate you to draw it well.

I also agree with Nrx, get "Drawing on the right side of the brain." It really does help!

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there where only walls" ~Joseph Campbell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it's normal to feel down about what you've accomplished. When it doesn't meet your expectations, what a surprise it can be! But, as others are showing you, there are ways you can improve!! It's not so normal starting off with an awesome rendering of anything! You just take your time, because while you make mistakes, you learn and you DO get better!

Don't stop drawing just because it didn't work one or even one hundred times. I know it's tempting, but please don't!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Few advices.

- Life drawing teacher long time ago advised me to start with cardboard frame. It really helped. Later I got enough skill to draw without it.
    Cut out a hole that has the same proportions as your paper. You can also mark the center on the sides so that you can see it more clearly.

Name:  100_1938.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  95.5 KB

- Use different pencil measuring techniques as often as possible. - http://www.learn-to-draw.com/members...asics/0111.htm

- Never put a mark before you're completely sure that it comes out of the right measurement. Never proceed to rendering before you make sure you got all the proportions right. It's all about not rushing.

- Start from simple objects and simplify more complex ones into geometric shapes. Break complicated curvy contours into several strokes instead of drawing one.

- Patience

EDIT: And yes. Drawing is hard. Especially if you never practiced before.

Good luck and have fun .

Last edited by Farvus; September 17th, 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing is supposed to be incredibly difficult, it's supposed to be mentally exhausting, it's supposed to take all of your concentration and your best effort. It's the foundation of your art. That shouldn't be something that is easy, or else it wouldn't be so rewarding when you do it well.

As far as learning how to draw, there's plenty of resources on this website. Drawing from life is difficult, you are interpreting a 3 dimensional plane down to a 2 dimensional plane on paper, which is no easy feat. This is something that will take you years to master and will be a difficult journey. If you are not up to that kind of sacrifice, don't waste your time, but if you can handle it, it will be the most rewarding experience of your life. Increasing your visual perception of your reality tends to increase your awareness of everything and makes life that much more beautiful. Everything from the ugly to the beautiful has a unique character to it, it's quite fascinating

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same problem. I took couple of life drawing classes and drew some decent portraits. But now in art school we are drawing still lifes on these huge papers. I thought drawing them would be really easy but I can't get anything right, just constantly swearing in my head. I need a lot more practice

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    h2rra calm down, take deep breath and relax. Before you start a still life you need to really look at it and consider your approach. Your approach will depend on the media you are using and what you can erase for guide lines to a certain extent. If you can do portraits, you should be able to translate to still life easier – it doesn’t move, but you still need discipline to execute it.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art is something you gain energy from while drawing. If not, this is only matter of time. I realized that when i draw a peace and began to worry a lot about how i draw the result often is bad. But when i draw and i like the whole process, the result is much better than i actually expected. Sometimes i feel lazy a about art but after little break, a began to draw because i really want to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not only use the picture plane frame, perhaps with the little grid on the plastic, but also use your pencil or something like that as a measuring stick. Pick out a particular thing (like the model's head or how wide the coffee cup mouth is) and use it as your standard measurement. Then draw the orange by looking at the real life one and measuring how many coffee cup widths tall the orange is and how many coffee cup widths the orange is away from the coffee cup, etc. etc. (look at Blackhawk's avatar)

Always hold the measuring stick the exact same distance from your eyes or this won't work!

The measuring stick can be useful for getting angles correct too. Hold it up to the real life scene and tilt it to match some angle. Then hold it with that tilt down toward your drawing so you can see how the angle is supposed to be on the drawing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.