Sketchbook: jovian's sketchbook. bunch of moleskine scannns
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: jovian's sketchbook. bunch of moleskine scannns

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

jovian's sketchbook. bunch of moleskine scannns

Last edited by Jovian M; September 29th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Two quick samurai speed paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, welcome. Nice to see someone of a similar age to me here. You definately show potential. You will hear this alot as you start off, but anatomy is very important, do some studies etc. Also try and tighten up your lines a little, it will make a big difference. Keep it up!

The stranger things appear the more real they usually are.

My sketchbook:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=119409

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing tons of anatomical studies lately, but my scanner recently pooped out.

I'm also starting to move away from anime/manga a bit until I understand the human form well enough to stylize is proficiently.

Thanks for the post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get some photos of your traditional stuff in here! Get pictures or something. The best advice I have been given is stick to traditional mediums untill you have all of the basics down, then you can use digital to HELP yourself grow, but don't rely on it. At the end of the day, if you can't draw on paper, then you can't draw on the computer.

I would also advice posting about in other peoples sketchbooks and generally looking about. There are some golden tips everywhere, be careful not to miss them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For sure.

And don't get me wrong, I don't do practice and stuff digitally; I just felt like updating my dA so I did those two digital paintings. Other than that, it's all pencil/ball-point pen on paper.

I'll have to see if my foster brother'll let me take some pics with his cell phone or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh...thanks for checking out my sketchbook.

Good potential here, I think. I wish I'd started learning anatomy back in high school, I kept thinking I could get away without it ('cause I was dumb ). I'm sure I don't have to tell you to keep it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bleach? OMG!
    Crap i havn't watched bleach in so long I feel ashamed..... I need to go and watch it again!
    Looking good
    Start doing some studie, take time on them and just keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see potential in those digital sketches, but taking a quick run through your deviant art, you need to give up the anime and fan art man. You have placed yourself within the massive horde of japanofile teenagers that, artistically speaking, plainly represent a lower level of creative thinking. If anime is your thing, who am i to tell you otherwise? But having expressed an interest in developing your own style I would recommend seriously considering what participating in such a generic and un inspired style says about you as an artistic mind?

That's my bit, i hope it isnt taken the wrong way, keep on drawing!
    -emmett

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rarebit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally agree with you, Rarebit. I honestly have no idea what I was thinking, up until a little while ago; I was convinced I'd be a 'manga-ka', because you know, a white Canadian kid can do that. Lately I've been doing a ton of studies (of everything from faces, to gestures, to re-drawing inspirational artist's work, to even just looking at photos of people and drawing them). I'm looking around to see if I can find some life-drawing sessions even remotely near here.

That's not to say that once I get to the level where I'm able to stylize proficiently, I won't have some influence from Eastern artists. Recently, though, I've been mesmerized by artists like t-wei, Jamie Hewlett, LeSean Thomas (though, I've loved his work for a good while now), Jim Lee, etc. (and a lot more).

I really wish I would've listened to those fellas over at SatelliteSoda like, half a year ago. -_-

Something I started on last night: (excuse my shaky hands with the camera >>)

Supposed to be the lead singer of 'All American Rejects'. I was sitting in my room and trying to find photo-reference in a magazine, but all I've got is game magazines and stuff, then I remembered buying Batman 680 and there being a few ads. Yeah.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff. Photos, again. I really need to get a new scanner; it took me LITERALLY 45 minutes to get decent pictures of these things. xD

First one is an older version of a character that I saw in uhhhhhh... some video game magazine. Play, maybe.

Second is a character quick concept sketch of a character inspired by Gears of War with a Samurai-Ish feel to it.

Third is a study of the back of a boxer I did last night (I did a few others, but I kinda' liked this one the best)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I'm working on a Prince of Persia painting and I'd really like to get some tips/advice before I move any further with it (still in the sketching phase). I'm thinking about maybe making the eyes a little bit bigger, and TRYING to fix the nose/mouth? What else could I do.

EDIT: Discontent with it now

Last edited by Jovian M; December 16th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far. Make sure you practice regularly, its a sure way to improve Another thing I would say is to get as much observational drawings done as possible. It will help you with the basics and foundations of drawing and would also feed your visual library so that when it comes to drawing from the imagination you will be better equiped.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bendragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's some great work here, especially for a sixteen year old.
    I wouldn't get worried about being too caught up in Manga, as you know it has some incredible artists and there's no shame in being influenced by it.
    Your first few characters definelty have that Manga quality to it.

I would recommend you work on your proportions more. Go out and sketch people where you can. Either that or try doodles of getting the basic shape of the human form down.
    Also try getting to know how the skeleton stands, this will help with proportions and general stance of your characters.

You've definetly got the ability, I just wish I was as good as you when I was sixteen.

My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Porg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man your pencils look awesome
    get a scanner so we can see them better
    and keep it up

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bendragon: For sure; I draw every day for like, a minimum of an hour. Usually closer to 3 or 4.

Porg: Thanks.

And it's not that I dislike manga, it's that I don't have the skills to apply to stylizing it yet. I'm sure anime/manga will have an effect on my general style once I get a better grasp of the fundamentals.

Lilnebo: Gonna' buy a new one after Christmas.

Sorry to be posting something anime-ish; it's honestly like, the second anime esque thing I've drawn since those samurai speedpaintings, and it was only done in this style because it was for a Secret Santa over on a forum I attend. Pencils w/ sharpie; got my friend to resize and stuff in PS, 'cuz I don't have it at the moment. I'll post some studies on friday maybe. 8D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still see an anime influence. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad, there are a fewe artists here on CA, who can pull off anime in a tasteful , and extremely well executed manner, but like others have said, they have a strong foundation of anatomy , clothing, shading, depth, and composition , color theory, and other things. You are on a good track right now, keep it up.

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Evxyza92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Wanna' be an art director/storyboard artist/concept artist/comic penciler"

If u wanna be any of those, u better show more updates and practice and practice,,, mate. U do show potentials like others have mentioned.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 2buiart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evxyza92: Thanks.

And it's not that 'my style' won't have any anime/manga influence when I'm comfortable with the fundamentals, it's that anime is standing in the way of learning what I really need to know. I was applying skills I didn't have and very slowly improving; learning the skills, then applying them, is what I'm doing now.

2buiart:It's just really annoying to have to take digi-cam pictures, so updating is a real hassle (that, and you can't really see what I'm showing you). I wanna' get my hands on a new scanner soon; mayhaps I'll go buy one from Futureshop or something, when I get my next cheque that is.

I'll try to get some new stuff up soon.

Last edited by Jovian M; January 12th, 2009 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see, hehe.
    I strongly recommend u to get a digital copy of Andrew Loomis Life drawing. (or ANY of his book)
    He is consider one of the GREATEST art teacher of ALL TIME.
    I learn so much through that book, and I'm sure you will too.

Just google it up and download it. Type something like = Andrew Loomis Life drawing pdf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2buiart: i've got Fun with a Pencil, Figure drawing: for what all it's worth, drawing the head & hands, successful drawing, creative drawing and eye of the painter. I'm looking through Figure Drawing: for all it's worth and drawing the head & hands the most, at the moment.

A quick character concept. In my head, he was originally one of two twin sons of the head knight of some kingdom; him and his brother had to like, battle, he won. The penalty for losing was being took into a forest and killed by the winning brother, but he loved his brother and let him go back to the kingdom in his place (as him) and he ended up adventuring around the world and stuff. A bit lame, but IDK; not like I'm'a use him for anything. xD

I put the ear too high, so I ended up pushing up the rest of his face too high as well, so pretend his ear/facial features are all down a little bit or something. ;D

Sorry that it's sideways. I don't think I have anything that I could straighten it out with, atm. o-o

Last edited by Jovian M; April 18th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice drawing,, did u use any reference?
    The story is somewhat interesting, has moral sense into it. I giggle when I read it.
    Since he's wondering around the world, maybe add some more obvious carrying bags and maybe water pouch?

U got LOOMIS, good for u!
    A bout the rotating....If u own window computer, then u should be able to rotate it. Right-click on the file, select = rotate clockwise.\

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 2buiart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2buiart: Naw, I didn't use ref. I did it at like, 2:00 AM, sitting up in my bed. Lol

Yeah, I guess one pouch wouldn't really help him a whole lot. xD

Maybe I'll play around with his design a bit more, or something.

Here's an upright version. Lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing a bunch of studies. I'll upload a bunch of the better ones later this week.

Wanted to try painting over a silhouette (started as a thumb, resized, painted over it). Didn't bother with the face. My tablet hasn't been functioning for awhile and just recently started working again, so I'm a bit rusty with one. This was done at school, though, with PS Elements 3 and an Intuos 3 4x6. 25 minutes or so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You say you want to ditch anime? Then learning how to draw realistically first is the way to go. Any sort of personal style is going to come after you have learned the basics.
    Many manga/anime artists have some sort of traditional background in art, and the reason that they are able to get away with their style is because they know exactly what they are distorting and exaggerating. In other words, they could most likely draw realistically if they chose to do so.
    So don't worry about finding a style now. It will come naturally later on.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Kim_bot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude your pencils do look awesome
    good to see some of ny age here
    check out my SB

To some anything is art,but to me art is a reflection of truth and beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by madshark16 View Post
    Sweet....It makes me want to say a big word that i cannot pronounce. That is how awesome this is. I look forward to seeing much improvements this year.

MY CARTOON CHARATERS

MY SKETCH BOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh sh-, been awhile since I posted heeeeeeeere.

Kim-Bot: For sure. I think I've said I intended to do that a bunch of times in this thread already. xD

aprentice: Thanks.

Trying to paint straight from color. Gotta lower his head a bit and change his skirt-ish thing. I've decided he's gonna' be a Jedi or something. Give him a Light Saber and stuff. I'm gonna' do some UFC/Martial Art studies and stuff, I need to post more studies here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the look of things your propotions are getting better.
    If your having difficulty with his stance try sketching out the skeleton seperately and see how it goes. Then once you've got that sorted you can add the body and clothes.

My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how come i dont see any updates bro?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Porg: Thanks. I ended up scrapping that painting. Lol.

2buiart: I just haven't been taking photos of my work, lately. Too busy practicing and such, I suppose. There's no real excuse, though.

Some ideas getting thrown down for the teen challenge. Quick gesture for a mentoring thread, also.

Last edited by Jovian M; April 1st, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2