Where modern and representational art collide

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Greetings in art! I hope this email finds you well.

I am contacting you to let you know about an exciting event that is happening in the world of representational art. My good friend and painter, George Gallo has made a film loosely based on his life about becoming a painter and the trials and tribulations he went through to train with a Russian master. This film has been picked up by Empire Film Group, which they will distribute for a national release!

Personally, I have seen this film and I can say it is not only a well-directed and well written film, but the core principle of the film is based around making people see the RELEVANCE of Representational Art and calls to attention the ridiculousness of the Modern Art movement. Through the Oscar worthy performance of Armin Mueller-Stahl, we see a Russian master painter who speaks the truth about what Modern Art has done to the world of Representational Art and has grown tired of fighting back. Any of this sound too familiar in your life?

I am TIRED of walking into places like Los Angeles County Museum of Art or the Metropolitan Museum of Art and find that they have taken down another Sargent or Rembrandt and replaced it with a piece of Modern ďArtĒ that I canít even identify what it is. It kills my soul when this happens and I know it kills the souls of many artists around the world.

George and his wife Julie have made a film from money out of their own pockets that promotes this very idea. The studios wouldnít touch this film because it didnít have sex and drugs and they donít see the relevance of Representational Art. Well, my friends, we are relevant and we are here to stay.

The ONLY way we can refute the modernist movement is to make Representational Art RELEVANT again. How do we do this? Not by local shows or even national shows that only get the attention of other artists, it has to be done through the media on a mainstream basis. It needs to be injected back into the mainstream and it needs to become a part of the World Culture again.

This film is going to be out in the mainstream, itís even trailering on Appleís website. This is our champion piece for our cause to start moving Representational Art forward and make it relevant to the masses.
    PLEASE, I implore you to go support this film in itís first week of opening nationally the week of November 7th; take your spouse, go with friends. This movie has something for everyone to discover. The film is so well made that you donít need to be an artist to enjoy. Itís a heartwarming story that will touch your soul, I know it did mine and it made me realize how good and proud it feels to be a representational artist and to cherish life through art and the relationships we make along the way.

For more information and to see a trailer:

http://www.localcolormovie.com/

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/localcolor/

Respectfully yours in art,
    Tony Pro

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoneToDieTrying For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll support this movie 100%. I've already been e-mailing it to my past art college teachers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may go see the movie eventually, but you really may want to think about changing the tone of your promotional post or e-mail. Because honestly, I start reading that and I hear the same tone as those Nigerian scam emails, and little warning bells go off in my head. :/

Be careful, is all I'm sayin'.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The true geniuses of the world of representational art all thank you...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I hate to hear about how we sound like Algeria scam artists :0

Honestly, the picture's P&A budget is quite low and we're pushing a very aggressive and ambitious promotional campaign. Part of that involves blogging and creating discussion. This message was meant to be somewhat controversial in tone. I'm glad many of you liked it.

Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really looking forward to seeing this film.

I hope that it will get a cinema release in other countries apart from the US.

I know there are lots of us in the UK who would like to see it, and no doubt elsewhere too.

Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The trailer makes it look a mite saccharin, so I’ll probably wait until it hits the tv.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    judging from the trailer and the clips, this looks like another movie full of stereotypes and prejudices

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cepro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The ONLY way we can refute the modernist movement is to make Representational Art RELEVANT again. How do we do this? Not by local shows or even national shows that only get the attention of other artists, it has to be done through the media on a mainstream basis. It needs to be injected back into the mainstream and it needs to become a part of the World Culture again."

About this part, I think it would also be possible to refute the modernist movement by making the modernist movement irrelevant (e.g. by coming up with the next big thing so modernism is no longer "modern"). Your statement presupposes that Representational Art had somehow become irrelevant, and yet it has been used to illustrate scrolls, books, magazines etc. from prehistory up to the present day.

About the only people who can discuss movies about artists with me are other artists. I don't think reaching the mainstream media is necessarily going to make Representational Art part of the World Culture. What I think we need to do is make CULTURE part of the World Culture again so people will Google John Singer Sargent as much as they Google Pamela Anderson, for example. At least you are trying, and for that I salute you.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I don't know...

We all know that anyone outside of the representational world of art is a homosexual, all women are useful only for staging insufferably bad shows while dressed to the hilt, and anyone who disagrees with that statement or "REAL" art is probably either unpatriotic or a damn foreigner too stupid to leave the misbegotten country he was born in...

So what's your problem?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The love for one thing doesn't have to come with hating on another.
    looking forward to the movie, not to another round of how silly/dumb/unfair contemporary art is.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    While there is much non-representational art that doesn't agree with me, I fail to see why Sargent and friends should get to hog the spotlight forever and ever.

If you want to oust another artist, then produce art that the audience will prefer.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Film looks kitchsy but I'll see it anyway if it plays up here.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With regard to the film playing on TV. It won't. Mostly because it's rated R, but the filmmakers are purists, and this was a labor of love. You might have to run to the local video store and pick up the DVD.

I'm attaching a blog post from George Gallo, the film's writer & director. The film is also loosely based on his life. I'm curious to see how artists react.

"An Open Letter to all Artists

My name is George Gallo and I have been writing and directing movies (Midnight Run, Bad Boys, 29th Street, Trapped in Paradise to name a few) for over twenty years. But I began my creative journey as a plein aire painter. By the time I was thirty, I’d had two one man shows at Grand Central Art Galleries in New York City.

A few years later I won the Arts for the Parks Top 100 award. In between films I kept painting and it has been an integral part of my life. Most of the films that I had seen over the years that were about the subject of painting or artists never rang completely true to me. A few years ago I wrote a screenplay entitled Local Color based on my early experiences as a young artist. I had the privilege of studying with an old master when I was eighteen, and that time truly changed my life for the better. Even though I have made many successful films, Hollywood didn’t seem all that interested in financing a coming of age film that involved mentorship, painting, and frankly a story that resonated with a positive message.

One particular financer said he thought the script was “too uplifting for American audiences.” I laughed to myself because I have yet to hear a ticket buyer say that they can’t wait to drop ten dollars to be depressed. I then did something a bit radical for a man at the age of fifty. I decided to finance the film myself.

My wife Julie and I put up our house, and my life long friend James Evangelatos did the same. With ample funds to make the film I then used my twenty plus years of relationships and put together an amazing cast and crew, many of whom worked for nearly nothing. Local Color is the result of a group of talented and deeply committed artists who shared in my vision and wanted to put something good into the world. The film has won many awards at several film festivals and will be released nationally on October 17th by Empire Film Group.

I am happy to say that the film has gotten some of the best reviews of my career and I’ve watched the overwhelmingly positive response that audiences have to this film. I’ve also shown the film to several well known artists and all of them have agreed that it is the first film to truly capture the essence of what it means to be a plein aire artist. I promise you that you will not see any finer performances in another film this year. Armin Mueller Stahl gives the performance of his career as Nikoli Seroff, the old Russian master. And young Trevor Morgan matches Armin step for step as John Talia, the young painter eager to begin his journey into the world of art.
    They are supported by a wonderful cast that includes Ray Liotta, Ron Perlman, Diana Scarwid, Charles Durning and Samantha Mathis. Michael Negrin shot the film with breathtaking imagery, and Chris Boardman’s score is sheer musical poetry. If the subject matter and story line of this film interest you at all, I ask you to please come celebrate with us on November 7th when Local Color is released nationally.

Thank you,

George Gallo"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToDieTrying View Post
    With regard to the film playing on TV. It won't. Mostly because it's rated R,
    Ever heard of cable?

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck with the film Tony. I'd personally like to see contemporary representational art gain a greater slice of the art world pie. Unfortunately I have my doubts whether this film will reach a large audience outside of artists and art-lovers. If it's ever playing in Australia I'll check it out.

PS: I like your paintings - and Jeremy's as well - you should join this community and set up sketchbooks. There's a lot of realist painters here and lots to talk about and share.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the clip with Seroff judging the local art show! However, does being based in the UK mean I have to wait to buy the DVD in order to see this film?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToDieTrying View Post
    a piece of Modern “Art” that I can’t even identify what it is. It kills my soul when this happens and I know it kills the souls of many artists around the world.
    wow, it kills your soul? ...you truly do dislike modern art...i mean
    a lot.

the movie looks pretty though.

-

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.