Art: Head Drawings, Oil Sketches, and Quick Poses - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man you know exactly what you need & those eyes, those pretty pretty eyes;

Amazing man

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

drawing info and a oil sketch

Mydrako - Thank you. When approaching a drawing (or painting) I usually make a couple decisions before starting. There are different approaches for different 'problems' to solve in drawing and painting. I'll list a few ways of seeing the figure and a few technical approaches. When drawing you can look for: Long Lines, Gesture or push of the pose, major angles, common angles, Positive and Negative shapes, Large shapes......
    I usually start with 1) Head 2) Angle of shoulders 3) Angle of hips 4) Longest Line 5) Plant the feet and start knocking in negative shapes - dark shapes - construction of anatomy and so on.

.........and there are technical terms like: do you want to use Line or Tone? Totally tonal approach versus a more line based construction, how do you want to use the Contours or Edges. Al these things are considered before starting and depending on what the model is giving you.

Some poses are all about the lost and found edges and the positive and negative shapes, Some are more about the contour, some have strong shapes that lend themselves to going completely tonal (which I find harder).

When learning to draw the figure it's a good idea to learn how to construct the figure, I suggest the Reilly method and variations there of, before getting too into technical approaches like completely tonal or hatchmarks.... stuff like that.

Learning to construct the figure starting with 2 minute - 25 minute poses will train you to be selective in your 'seeing' and will force you to memorize construction and apply it to the model in a 'loose and free' way - rather than copying the model and being dragged around by what the model is doing. Well trained figurative drawers know what is going on with the construction and apply that knowledge to the model - rather than trying to figure out what the model is doing and just copying it down - there is a BIG difference.

psychoboy - Thanks man! I'm all about the eyes.

Last edited by Raileyh; May 6th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats very informative. You lead me to think about alot of things I never thought about. I guess i have always been merely copying the model.

Some last few questions before I shut up and go back to admiring your work. Do you have any comment on the more contour block-in approach (eg anthony ryder's approach). Is it different from your method which I assume is a variation of Reilly method or just a variation as well. Am I thinking too much trying to figure out a systematic method? (stupid left brain )

Is there any good books on reilly method. There dont seems to be much info on his method beside the forbiddingly expensive dvd and some books from his students. Travel to US to study is unfortunately impossible right now Hope you can provide me some way to gain info on it.

I think the problem with my self learning is that I am just going ard from method to method, and in the end confusing myself. Is Reilly method a good method to start with?

Thanks for the response ! You and many other kind mentors in CA is the closest to a teacher I can get

Last edited by JS Neo; March 13th, 2009 at 10:18 PM.
    -JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The enveloping approach is an approach used in the Ateliers when approaching long sitting drawings - up to 10 - 12 weeks. They use sight sizing to get all the major landmarks down and the figure perfectly proportioned out onto the paper without making any unwanted marks, then they breakdown the 2 value statement and lay in the large masses of flat tones building very slowly. It's a great way to approach a fully rendered drawing and a good way to learn to gauge values.

The Reilly method is a method used to learn how to break down the figure's construction into simple shapes and forms. Illustrators have used his methods to memorize construction. Most art students tend to learn to draw the figure starting with 2-5 minute poses on to 25 minutes - on to long sittings. Unfortunately, a lot of teachers fail to teach a clear method of breaking down the figure from the inside out - not just using the contour alone. There is a great freedom in being able to construct the figure without wholly relying on what the model is doing. Art students like to blame the model - but really there is never an excuse - even if the model moves.

I'll post some handouts I have that breaks down some construction along with some ways to abstract the figure. There aren't any books that I know of that clearly teaches the Reilly method - it tends to get handed down through handouts and from instructor to student - which I kinda like, it's hands on. I suggest looking at other people drawings starting with their quick poses. It will greatly affect how you see.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that explanation, Hope. Looking forward to the handouts. In the meantime, do you think this link is any good? http://www.dhfa.net/Artiststatement2.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to courtyard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Hope for ur patient and effort to respond Looking forward to ur handouts and at the mean time, I will study ur drawing closely.

courtyard Thanks for the link. I have seen it before but it is kinda confusing cos things are sort of fragmented and incomplete.

Shall not hoard the thread any longer.

-JS Neo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Simply beautiful work. I really like how loose but how precise your strokes are.
    I cant wait to work from live models.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing of Hannah and a figure drawing

Here's a drawing of Hannah and a recent drawing from a workshop

Attached Images Attached Images    

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^Beautiful drawings...may I ask how long these took you? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a sublime head drawing, Hope! Is that in graphite... charcoal... both? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is so beautiful. I admire you greatly for that. And thanks for giving us the advice on the Reilly method. Never even thought of such things~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tonal head drawing

Aaron909 - Thanks. The graphite/charcoal drawing took a few days, I still may work on it a bit more, and the tonal drawing is a few hours.

sfa - thanks for stopping by. It's both graphite and charcoal.

Aaron Death - Thanks. I try to take from multiple methods, they all become blended versions anyway.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Like the shading underneath the tossed over hair.

Her ear looks a little underdeveloped in the shading dept. Not saying it should be full on rendered, but maybe more of a hint of definition than the flatness going on right now.

Might want to press the shading underneath her chin to give more depth of her head from her neck in space.

THERE IT IS! (it was bugging me why) the very tip of the chin (to the right, mine or yours?) and the shading on the throat are so close in tone, that's what is causing the problem, to me anyway.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet portrait, I love the way you handled the background, it really ties it together well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it would be nice to see the process you take

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid drawings man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't mean to be a nag, but it's been too long Hope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very strong stuff.... If you have time could you stop by my sketchbook and give some advice plz ^^.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have strong drawings, and your paintings are decent. I have not much to say but, just keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some handouts I've picked up around town and a few quick oil sketches

Here's some handouts I've picked up from Glenn that I've added to and some compilations of some useful info. Glenn is wonderful at putting the head handout to use. It's one of the most useful handouts I've ever gotten. I would suggest to anyone to practice running the abstractions over photos to memorize them and use them to find the subtle planes and contours of the face. The profile one is brilliant - it's all about the alike angles!!! This has been a godsend to me, Thank you Glenn!!!

Oh - the head handout looks pretty strange at first and a little simple, but for me it was a missing link in how to construct the head. The key is to memorize how the lines run on your model from all angles. The lines help in pulling it all together and placing everything while keeping the continuity. The whirly one and the profile was the most useful to me.

OmenSpirits - Thank you for the critique, I was grappling with that area!! Something was wrong - thanks!

kielbasa_w
    - Thanks, I had originally left it out and decided to design it better, thanks!

iwaswrong - sure thing, I'll post some steps. Didn't think viewers would be too interested in that since these are pretty quick drawings. Thanks.

shuyin - keep going! Lookin good!

DRO305 - Thanks man, or wooooo-man.

john_d - Sorry!!!! here you go!!! Sorry again!!

tandy1000
    - Thanks, will do. Keep up the good work.

FallenGodX11
    - Thanks!

Last edited by Raileyh; November 9th, 2010 at 12:02 AM.

27. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the notes !.. It appears that Glenn is using the same notes as Jeffery Watts. Of cos i guess all of them studied under Reilly or his students so basically everyone is learning the same stuff, and they are really good stuff..

Btw love the charcoal drawing in the previous post. It really capture the mood aptly, casting the person in a rather aloof yet mysterious look. Keep it coming !

-JS Neo

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you also learned painting from Glen Orbik? Your painting style seems to remind me of Jeremy Lipking, one of Glen Orbik's students?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only took drawing at CAI, painted a couple times with Ryan Wurmser. The look of the strokes has more to do with the surface.

For these oil sketches I'm working on double oil primed linen using a mixture of softer hair brushes like Langnickel. Together these items will produce the same edges and marks on the canvas every time. Oil Primed linen also allows for very thin, wet application of first marks. These studies are 1 hour - 2 hour studies, so i didn't have time to go into the first layer of paint much.

If I were to use bristles on acrylic primed cotton canvas the result would be very different, different marks, transparency of paint and different edges.

The closest thing to oil primed linen would be primed panel, but it's still quite different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sepia on paper

Last edited by shuyin; April 26th, 2009 at 03:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am just curious but I thought this thread is RaileyH's personal thread. Shuyin you might have mistaken this thread for a gallery of head drawings and quick poses. You are totally welcomed to go create your own thread and post your stuff !

-JS Neo

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry my mistake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

an in progress record of last drawing

Here's the progress for the last drawing. I don't usually start on a toned surface, but I chose to do so for this drawing to try it out.

36. The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for showing us your process Hope. Are you using white charcoal or chalk to add the highlights, or are you pulling them out with a chamois? I guess what I mean to say is, is the surface made of something you put down (e.g. charcoal) or was it purchased already toned?

I'm gonna have to try out oil primed linen when I head back to dabbling with oils (been doing a lot of digital painting with Photoshop recently to just spice things up). I've been using the inexpensive acrylic primed boards to practice with and struggle with the surface at times.

And thanks for the proportions lists. Didn't know some of these!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's amazing you just start with the face and work down the rest of the head. Very cool.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 388