Art: Head Drawings, Oil Sketches, and Quick Poses - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I dont have much time but i really had to stop by and say wooow, these are great just like the earlier posts!
    Never seen this thread before but ill drop by again for sure.
    Thanx for sharing.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 635 Posts
    Amazing stuff Sir. Say... this is charcoal, right? How do you make it look so smooth? It looks so... soft, and great. I always have huge trouble with that, my charcoal drawings have way too much of the paper texture showing o_o
    Please keep sharing!

Thanks
    Thank you for the very kind words S M and Algenpfleger.

To answer your question Algenpfleger,

I use smooth newsprint when doing quick sketches. It's a nice surface to work on, though the drawings are not archival and will turn dark and yellow over time if they're left in open air. I also use 2b - 4b charcoal pencils sharpened with a razor blade to leave about an inch of exposed charcoal sharpened to a point. With a sharpened pencil and smooth newsprint I can get marks to go down very easily. If my paper doesn't work for me I'll fight the drawing and won't get too far.

Hope this helps - draw every day.

Below I'm posting some drawings done by Fred Fixler (grandfather of figure drawing here in Southern Cali)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Raileyh; August 1st, 2009 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    beautiful

Thanks
    Yes! I recognized the heritage.

Glenn Orbik was my first true figure drawing teacher. He set a solid foundation for me that I've never let go. Then later studied with Mark Westermoe.
    Thanks for posting some of F. Fixler's drawings. I've never seen these before. He knew how to do some awesome hair!

Your work, Hope, is as graceful and confident as I've seen. I'm curious as to when you took classes with Glenn.

Beautiful work.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Thanks Aztecfireflower, and Tias.

I studied with Glenn in 2007 for about 10 months I guess. I had already studied with Zhaoming Wu and all the greats at the Academy in SF - but was still seriously lacking in my foundations. I found Glenn through word of mouth. I can honestly say that it was the best instruction I've ever received. Lots of repetition and just doing it over and over. They have an amazing amount of work from over the years for students to photograph and to draw from - so you're surrounded by great work and everyone's working towards a common goal. Priceless. They have a few drawings of Mark Westermoe hanging among many many other wonderful illustrators and fine artists from the past (when they were students). It's great to look up and see amazing drawings on newsprint from '80 and look at the signature and recognize it. Humbling.

I'm hoping they compile Fred's work into a book - the world needs it! He's touched so many careers over the years.

Thanks
    A few demos of head and figure

Last edited by Raileyh; March 25th, 2009 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Hope,

T'would be awesome to have a book of works by Fixler! It's quite a task to photograph all that work. Tried it once, but I would love to get a library of all that work on file, one day, with some proper equipment and set-up.
    I've taken Rick's classes at LAAFA. He is an excellent teacher, learned loads in his painting classes. Not sure who Mark is. Probably recognize his work, tho.
    I have done the rounds at a few L.A. workshops. Not lately.
    AAU has some of the best teachers in the country. You must have taken Henry Yan's classes. He has the most incredible work! His drawings are so expressive and his draftsmanship is impeccable.

I can see you've picked up the Reilly concepts very quickly, if you only started under Glenn a year ago. Wow. I envy your exposure to the great artist/teachers in San Fran. Your work shows great understanding of figure design. Much more extensive and fresher than mine. Really nice studies.
    I've begun to devote more time to drawing study, maybe will bump into you at a workshop.

Last edited by AztcFireFlower; November 8th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Unfortunately I never had Henry for a teacher, though I tutored a couple of his students and got to sit in on a few of his classes. He teaches in the foundations department, which is separate from Fine Art and the Illustration department. He's so versatile in his approaches. Zhaoming Wu is in the Fine Art department, so it's easier to take classes with him. Zhaoming's approach is harder to understand - but insane to watch. INSANE!! His drawings look so easy when he'd doing them and then the class tries and it's like - Oh my god, it's so not easy! Working completely tonal with emphasis on edges is really hard. He's truly an amazing draftsman.

Thanks
    Hi Hope!

Beautiful quick sketches and demos as always.

Appreciate you posting the Fixler drawings. Haven't seen those three in particular before. Glenn only brings his work out on occasion but he mentions him all the time. Oh, by the way, thanks for recommending Glenn to me - it's a bit of a drive from where I live, but the trip is worth it. Learning a lot.

You're lucky to have studied with Zhaoming Wu! Did you have any plans to attend Henry Yan's workshop at LAAFA in January? I'd like to go but we'll see if funds and time will allow it.

Keep postin'.

Thanks
    Your work is so consistent. So amazing, I love the soft rendering of your drawings and paintings and the perfect lighting and use of values. You have nailed drawing and painting. Your paintings strongly remind me of Sargent. I am your new fan.

~JB

Thanks
    JB - thank you for the kind words. Went to your site - very nice!

SFA - So great to see your progress! Love your work.

Below are some more stuff from workshops and a class demo - old man in natural light. Gotta love those naked old men!

Last edited by Raileyh; December 30th, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your edges, transitions, and values are so gentle and delicate but so accurate at the same time. The color in the lips on that last painting is fantastic, it reminds me of Sargent.

Thanks

Smile

Awesome stuff!

The Fenriswolf.
    "Let reason be your only sovereign."

Thanks
    Hi Hope,

I really like the way you play lost and found with the lines in your quick sketches. I'm also digging your shape analysis too. Keep 'em coming!

What a beautiful and graceful painting you've done of Dick. Congratulations. That portrait of Malo is turning out lovely too. I hope you'll post the final soon.

Thanks
    This is beautiful! Pure art 1000 stars from me

Thanks

couple more studies

Stevan - Thank you

SFA - Thank you for your continued support

Fenriswolf - Thanks for the comment

Kielbasa_w - What a generous comment, thanks.

Last edited by Raileyh; March 25th, 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Great, great stuff. I love your way of sketching but I'd be curious to see more developed drawings of yours. Are these 5, 10 minute poses? You give a good sense of what the whole figure is doing - setting the pose. Continue to wow us please

Thanks

Can I ask who you studied with at the Academy ?

I apologize if i missed it in the thread ( other than perhaps zhao ming wu ?) ?

I am in my 2nd year their.. you have done some super nice work!!! - kevin

Thanks
    Oruhito, Thank you Oruhito - I'll either post finished here or on my site - probably on my site though. I have 8 or so paintings in progress, but should be done soon.

Kevinwueste, Thanks. I studied with a lot of people at the Academy. It wasn't until I graduated and studied with Glenn Orbik at CAI in Westlake that I got a grasp on the figure - though I still have long to go. I suggest going to lots of workshops (Lee Ballard may still run one - it's a good one) , study with Yan, Wu, and Chuck Pyle if you can,but learn how to construct the figure before getting into any of the techniques at the Academy.

Thanks
    Really nice drawings

At first I thought you were Henry Yan hehe, your charcoal drawings look very much like his. I noticed cus I recently had a look through his book: http://www.amazon.com/Henry-Yans-Fig.../dp/1427610231

Thanks

Thanks
    Impressive and inspiring work! Many thanks for sharing these - i feel truly refreshed. The shown techniques and styles are something i really look up to. I wish we had that kind of teaching classes here in vienna... i must speak of luck, when thinking about the lousy lifedrawing classes they offer us at the university. At least they offer us some models. But hey, not the right thread for ranting... sorry about that. Thanks again!

Thanks

a couple workshop drawings

dariocoelho- Thank you, I know it's hard finding good Life drawing classes- I've spent a lot of time spinning my wheels in classes.

shamandalie - Thank you

renew- Thanks, Henry is awesome!! I've sat in on a few of his classes - he's the man.

Last edited by Raileyh; December 30th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great work Raileyh!

Btw, do you have more work from Fred Fixler, cant seem to find anything on the web from him.

thx

Thanks
    Great work! Your drawings and paintings have a solid sense of design and simplicity. Do you paint under natural light?

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Thanks
    These are awesome. What methods do you use for slight blending? Is that just the shadow over the paper? Looks a little like you airbrushed a light tone in some areas.

Thanks

New Head Drawing

Here's a head drawing - little more finished - about 8 hours.

-h

Epias - Thank you. Hopefully there may be a publication of Fred's drawings one day, so I don't want to put too much of his work out in the public domain- Otherwise I'd post more, sorry.

AndreasM - Thanks, I often paint in natural light. I find it a bit easier than warm indoor lighting. I sometimes use a soft box cool light with my sitters when working in doors.

Maxetormer - Thankyou!

Jason Ross - Thanks, I use a piece of soft cotton fabric, or a soft brush to get soft transitions with charcoal, sometimes I'll just use my thumb. There may be a shadow though.

Last edited by Raileyh; January 12th, 2009 at 03:28 PM.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Raileyh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oooh, that's a really fabulous portrait of Malo! You really captured her essence!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 408