Can anyone help me with drawing animations?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Can anyone help me with drawing animations?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can anyone help me with drawing animations?

Please? I'm a bit stuck that my pic aren't fitting with each other....and it's quite irritating work to...to draw all those pics....to see at the end that they're all wrong...

Just please give some tips on drawing them....no fancy tools please..I'm still a humble artist...I've only got the most nescecary tools and Photoshop 7 on my pc.....

Thanks anyways for replying...I'm normally ignored....

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would reccomend "ToonBoom Studio" or a normal light-table and a few pens (I prefer ink myself) but Photoshop would of course also do nicely with a Wacom or such. Simply draw the diffrent steps in diffrent layers. Should work fine.

If you however are having problems with the movements you might want to seperate the animation into a few steps. One start- and one end-picture is of course a good way to begin, but you can also make various steps in between those to specify diffrent poses/angles etc. and then simply "morph" between those. All you need is practice! Great fun it is!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think ToonBoom is a bit too advanced.. But anyway, if you're a beginner at animation, check Don Bluths' little explanation. You might also want to get The Animator's Survival Book (I can't beleive it's only 21 USD..!) too.

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe it was because I was too impatient...i wanted to have a good animation already at the first time...

Egerie-That "Don Bluths'" link is not working....but maybe I'll ask Santa for that book, thanks.

futureprobe-Yeah I have heard before that those lightboxes are handy tools, maybe it has finally come trough my thick skull that I have to get one.....:bash: ....and what exacttly do you mean with "morph"?....like it's that easy :s...ah well, thanks for the info.....maybe I'll look out for "Toonboon Studio"....but maybe you can tell me a bit more what it is...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :confused: the link works perfectly well on my end.. Anyway it's http://www.donbluth.com/inbetweener.html
    If you're out to try programs, try Xsheet for your line tests. It's fantastico when coupled with a video camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ToonBoom Studio is a software to make animated films with - works pretty much as Flash MX. If you wanna see more what it is capable of you can always visit the homepage at http://www.toonboom.com/. Quite fun to work with but possibly not the first tool to work with anyway. Lighttable must be the bst way to learn it properly. (but how would I know - I am surely no pro at this ).

"Morphing" might be kind of tricky, that´s for sure But I guess that is the animating itself. Anyways - the pen is always your friend (well, sort of anyhow). You must practice to get all things right (yeaj, duuh!). The first thing I tend to do before animating a charachter is to keep on learning how to draw i correctly in all states, angels and poses. First when you have done that you have control of the charachter and can animate it.

Well, check out these tips - I am sure they´ll help better than my talking. I surely will have a look at them. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you dont want to spend money i suggest you take a look at preston blairs book wich is online
    http://www.freetoon.com/prestonblair/intro/frame.html
    click right (you ll see chapters if you look closely
    have fun learning

destruction by creation , creation by destruction

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a 3d animator, but I do alot of work with an ex-disney animator who does 2d.

First of all you ARE going to need a light table with animation pegs.

Stick to pencils. I suggest about a 2b 0.5mm design pencil. You don't want to use ink for the simple reson that it takes more time, gets messy and doesn't offer much in the way of going back if you make a mistake which is more than likely to happen with the amout of drawing you have to do. Plus the fact that you are going to scan the images in black and white and then convert them to a vector images means you don't need to ink it anyway.

Don't use a wacom tablet to draw! Simple as that!

Software: I would suggest flash. It is easy to use. Doesn't cost a bomb and gives some very nice results. The guy I work with was telling me about a new package that is currently being ported for Mac which is supposed to be as good as toonboom only cheaper, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll ask him the name again an post it latter.

Murphy ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's also a program you could check out called SWiSh Zone at www.swishzone.com (i think) i haven't used it but was thinking about using it to start animating because its supposedly easier and quicker to learn than Flash...

i don't know for sure... maybe someone here has used it and can expound on it more? hope it helps!

and its cheaper than Flash unless you're a student or teacher and can get Flash at a dicount

tl_c

Last edited by threelegged_chicken; December 6th, 2003 at 01:19 PM.
    never ever stick your tongue in the electrical socket.... never...
    and if you do it once dont do it again.

"I always like to drive fast when I feel that way. you get it up to around ninety-five and you feel wonderful... It's fun in the country. you hit rabbits, sometimes you hit dogs."
    -Farenheit 451

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have been thinking about getting a wacom, mostly for backgrounds and simple graphics, myself, but only use "traditional" stuff now. I am a bit uncertain about how close and simple it can get when compared to real drawing. Will it even remotly have the same feel to it? I know a whole lot of people here are using wacoms, but maybe only for simpler stuff?

Using a computer with a pen-grip is of course more ergonomic (at least I would presuma as much!) but I feel a bit uncertain about it. The few times I have actually tested a wacom-table it all felt kind of strange. But I am sure you´ll get used to it.

Ah well, now I´m maybe OT? Sorry for that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by futureprobe
    [B]Have been thinking about getting a wacom, ....

I have just attached my old Wacom Tablet to my new PC and gave it a go. Reckon I'm going to enjoy drawing onto the screen though.

You do get used to using it though. I used to use it a lot at work in Pagemaker and especially Freehand so I got used to the feel of a pen rather than trying to cope with a mouse.

Hopefully my drawings will be posted here in the near future & I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Is mise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mad - i am in a animation basics class so i think i should be able to help you out. I have to draw out my frames too so i know how it can be. you first off need these tools well this what i do and have to use in class.

1- red and blue pencils, hb, 2b pencils

2- animation paper, it has registration holes on it. that is the secret to making sure everything lines up.

3- peg bar

4- lightbox, you can buy one or even make them. it isn't to hard to build one there are places that will tell you how to do it.

5- your good ol' creative self and lots of patience.

i hope this helps you a little. if you need i can get pictures of what i am talking about. also what do you use to record your images?

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't agree about the ink thing. You can use it, but only @ a certain stage.

On my last assignment, our teacher showed us something called gestural animation. They are very quick drawings with long braod strokes intended only to show the movement of the animation. This way you can work quickly and not be frustrated with throwing out dwg's.

When you're happy with the movement, go to your table (here, you really do need animation paper, and a peg bar. For working @ home, I just bought a plastic one and taped it to my drafting table). Here is where I'd switch to pencils as I'm starting to flesh out the volumes of the character.

A few points to keep in mind...ALWAYS keep your feet anchored. If they start sliding, it can throw the whole animation off later. Flipping is invaluable to this end. it's flipping the pages back and forth until you can see the images moving into each other.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Members who have read this thread: 1