Photoshop CS 4 will come in 64 bit but only for Windows!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Photoshop CS 4 will come in 64 bit but only for Windows!!

    I was reading up on the new Photoshop since it will be coming up soon and apparently the 64bit version will only be available to PC users. I'm sorry but I lol'd at the reason why.

    From www.cnet.com :

    Until last June, Adobe had planned to move to 64 bit on Macs with CS4. But in June, Apple announced its technology plans at its Worldwide Developer Conference and that changed the situation for Adobe, Nack said.

    Apple provides two technologies, Carbon and Cocoa, to help programmers take advantage of operating system services such as managing memory, fonts, or windows. Initially, Apple had planned to make both Carbon and Cocoa available in 64-bit incarnations, but Apple announced at the conference that only Cocoa would be.

    Photoshop is written using Carbon, which dates from the earlier Mac OS 9 era and is better suited to cross-platform programming; Cocoa, like the newer Mac OS X, dates back to Jobs' previous company, Nextstep.

    "When they chose not to do Carbon 64, we had to reevaluate our road map for getting there," Nack said. Adobe immediately assigned new programmers to the Cocoa switch "so we could make this transition as fast as possible, but as the saying goes, nine women can't make a baby in a month. You can only proceed at a certain pace," he said.

    The amount of code that employs or interacts with Carbon features is substantial: about a million lines, and all of it must at least be reviewed, Nack said. Even today, "we don't yet know how much code needs to be rewritten or touched."

    The Carbon-to-Cocoa switch was simply too massive to push back CS4 for just a couple months, he added.

    "No one--Apple, Adobe, Microsoft--has attempted to move an application the size of Photoshop from Carbon to Cocoa," Nack said.


    Yes you can thank your Steve Jobs for that. Man I would have loved to see the looks of those avid Apple fanboys and fangirls when they read this....
    Incidentally if you are an Apple fan please take a picture of your face at the end of this message so that I may gloat some more.

     


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,851
    Thanks
    1,128
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Finally i actually feel lucky to be running windows vista 64bit.

    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

    Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

    or my Deviantart!

    · or check out my: Blog
     

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked 551 Times in 183 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    There are a lot of people (around here, boo!) still running Photoshop 7, so the decision of skipping one version isn't a big one. Adobe will eventually switch to 64-Bit for Mac OS X. It might just not be in CS4, but in CS5.

    So, no big deal.

    (EDIT: I'm running both Vista and OS X for apparent reasons)

     

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    WE HAVE ZE GOVERNATOR
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Haha, who actually buys all these Photoshops? They come out like iPods.

     

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to apple hooks For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    finally, I dont feel so bad about having a dell!

     

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX USA
    Posts
    1,475
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 120 Times in 88 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by apple hooks View Post
    Haha, who actually buys all these Photoshops? They come out like iPods.
    We like to call them professionals.

     

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lisbon, I think...
    Posts
    912
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 153 Times in 107 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    If it's coming out so soon why don't we know more about CS4?

     

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked 551 Times in 183 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    They still need data from the Large Hadron Collider to make it work.

     

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,837
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 282 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Considering I bought CS3 back in April, I am in no rush to upgrade yet. Once Snow Leopard comes out, the future will look bleak for buggy WINDOWS.

     

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,001
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Incidentally if you are an Apple fan please take a picture of your face at the end of this message so that I may gloat some more.
    __________________
    Name:  Shocked.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  26.9 KB

     

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sesh Planet
    Posts
    2,586
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 516 Times in 128 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by apple hooks View Post
    Haha, who actually buys all these Photoshops? They come out like iPods.
    Sorry, don't you mean "Haha, who actually buys Photoshop?"


    *edit: cause yeah obviously I use painter not photoshop. That's what I meant. Obviously.*

     

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    Once Snow Leopard comes out, the future will look bleak for buggy WINDOWS.

    apple fanboys. i LOVE them

    Sketchbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Doomy522 View Post
    "i mak dargonses i drawd and kolerd them >!"
     

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to nate01776 For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    822
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 690 Times in 205 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01776 View Post
    apple fanboys. i LOVE them
    My god, my brother follows all five of those rules on a daily basis.

    I, on the other hand, am also a 64-bit Vista user (and one of the few happy ones). Score! Although I still need to learn a lot about using CS3, so I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon.

     

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Heh I'm glad to see so little apple fans here gives me hope for the future. And Jfeirce thank you hahaha best thing I saw all day!! Lol and if you ask why would people buy CS4 the you fail at life......if you would like to know one simple reason its for the fact that it is 64bit.

     

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,837
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 282 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01776 View Post
    apple fanboys. i LOVE them
    Huh, I guess that would be because there are NO microsoft fanboys because everyone hates them because of one thing or another.

    Glad to be an apple user, they deserve their adoration. In fact look at what they are doing for their next release; none of that eye-candy feature bloated crap, just pure tweaks to make the system flawless.

    Also as a disclaimer, I do not condone the word fanboy. Liking something and talking factual does not mean squat. A little hard to say I am a 'fanboy' because I use both systems.

     

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany!
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks
    859
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I think the whole "one vs another" thing is completely retarded. Tools are tools, but the people who fight over what is cooler are the biggest tools.

     

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Who's fighting? Were just remarking on how people still buy crappy products because it's the in thing regardless of whether it works or not!! And Rist I'm sorry but you seem to me like the biggest Apple Fanboy here and I will tell you why. Your link is the illuminating factor onto why Apple lovers are in word 'Stupid'. You see the article states why Vista doesn't get fanboys well it's because people who buy Vista buy it for work and not to FAP over how good the OS represents my iCRAP folders and programs.

    Now another thing the article states and I quote from: "I guess maybe you could explain it that Apple users are more passionate, and perhaps have to be more vocal because they are the minority, but one would still think you'd see some love for Vista right now, yet I see basically none." It's human nature to root for the small guy....until he becomes one of the Big Boys. People hate Microsoft because they are complainers and because they see it as this great big corporate entity that's just out to get their money. Well that's true and that's just how businesses work. Now here's the shocker, are you ready for it? Apple does it to and does it better than any other business in the world. Want to know how? I'll tell you. You see Apple gives off this image that it's this poor little sheep of a company that's fighting the big bad corporate wolves and it is this image that hooks in the idiots, the pretenders, the 'starving artist', the upstart musician, the radical, the retard, and basically every other excuse for a human being known to man. And the cash rolls in of these poor unknowing uneducated fools who think that by owning a Mac they are someone and that the attention will roll in.

    So there you have a pretty simplified explanation (for Mactards) why there are Apple fantards and why they should all be stuffed in to the Hadron Collider and erased from the face of this earth.

    As a side note for the past month I've been using my brother's Macbook pro and I must say there is not one thing Pro about it. The Os is soo frivolous and superfluous that it's a wonder Mactards do any work on this thing and just spend their times making iPorn, iCrappy music and answering ie-mails from other Mactards wondering when the next iPOSproduct is coming out so that they can make there iMommies work double shifts to pay for it!! The fact that I have to click on the Photoshop header to minimize or close it (instead of just putting a button) sure seems streamlined and user freindly to me!! And man I love how I have to select all the pictures so that I can open them in preview just to move from picture to picture. Or how If I flip my pen to erase something in PS the OS decides to zoom out and show me multiple pictures on the Desktop off it's own accord!!

    Yes I hate Apple, I would hire an assassin to take out Steve Jobs because he is a tumor in this world.

     

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southeast coast, USA
    Posts
    2,794
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 505 Times in 341 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Geez Brashen, give it a rest. Why are you getting so hot-n-bothered over what OTHER people might use? How does that even affect you? Perhaps your insecurity working in a world where many of your peers use a different system? No need to be an insulting ass.

    Oh, and surprise I use a PC. Grew up in a family of techies with nothing but. I used Macs at school and my fiancee's got two of them. I agree, I think Macs aren't user-friendly and that they're over-priced. Matter of opinion and I don't need to get up in arms over it.

     

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In my own thoughts.
    Posts
    1,345
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 551 Times in 248 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    Once Snow Leopard comes out, the future will look bleak for buggy WINDOWS.
    You mean it'll finally be able to play every game?

     

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    Geez Brashen, give it a rest. Why are you getting so hot-n-bothered over what OTHER people might use? How does that even affect you? Perhaps your insecurity working in a world where many of your peers use a different system? No need to be an insulting ass.
    I'm guessing your implying that people in game and movie studios use Macs....sorry to burst your bubble but they don't so I don't know what "peers" your talking about?? As for being an ass I hardly think that trying to educate people is a bad thing. Some times harsh words are needed to wake people up from the reverie of stupidity. You ask how this may affect me? For one thing industry standards are important to me because these are my tools of the trade and if companies try to emulate Apple for obvious reasons then I'd be left with a machine that costs twice as much, performs less then able with outdated hardware, and touts an OS that for lack for a better word to describe it is so incompetent they had to make a program for people to run Windows on.

    So if you think that this stuff doesn't affect you, think again because we the prosumers are being fucked over by people who think they can make art by buying a fancy half assed excuse for a machine, a copy of Photoshop and a die hard conviction that they are special and none gets them.

     

  27. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Umm, it's not that big of a deal? More energy could be spent on drawing. The passion in these replies could be better put elsewhere.

    Artists will stick with what they know, professional or not, it's not about the newest piece of software it's is what they feel is the most reliable.

     

  28. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southeast coast, USA
    Posts
    2,794
    Thanks
    511
    Thanked 505 Times in 341 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    I don't know what "peers" your talking about??
    I meant digital artists in general, not whatever specific industry/company you work for. If you never see Macs around then what's all this overblown anger about?

    As for being an ass I hardly think that trying to educate people is a bad thing.
    Info is fine. Being a dick about it wins you no listeners. If I just bluster about and call you an idiot for choosing the tools you work with, then you're just going to put up a wall and dismiss anything else I might have to say--whether right or not.

    For one thing industry standards are important to me because these are my tools of the trade and if companies try to emulate Apple [...]
    And here you show how little you know of the art industry/computer history and how Apple catering to artists made PCs play catch up not too long ago. Wait long enough and Ilaekae will tell you about his advertising days. Or you could go search all the other over-the-top PC vs Mac threads.

    In any case, chill the fuck out. You've been trying to get somebody to pick a fight with you since post one. There's no need for that.

     

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:


  30. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks
    613
    Thanked 551 Times in 183 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Brashen, that's funny. Go on.

     

  31. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    1,778
    Thanks
    586
    Thanked 662 Times in 346 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Ok, I didn't say anything until now because even though I use an apple I don't see it as something to have a pissing contest about. However, Brashen, you are acting like an ass and being MORE annoying than the apple fanboys/girls.

    My diverse collection of artsy happenings (portfolio): http://coenearts.carbonmade.com/

    also, sketches
     

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:


  33. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,837
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 282 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I wish I never even bother posting in topics that are related to anything that has been made by competing corporations; because this is the kind of aggression that it attracts.

    Lets take a look at my posts to try and clear the notion that people like you feel I even give a damn about any product.

    Once Snow Leopard comes out, the future will look bleak for buggy WINDOWS.
    I stated this because the next instalment from apple concentrates on the core of the system instead of spiffing up the GUI and features. The fact that 90% of people who have bought the new VISTA complain big time about it says a million on how much of a disappointment it was. I never even bothered buying it. I have both Leapard and XP on this system; both have pros and cons, but in general I prefer OSX because it feels smoother, no crashes, little slow down, and no maintenance. On the other hand, it took my computer to defrag the XP side for 8 hours. Then afterwards it takes about 3 hours each time (this is just to state that NO ONE should have to clean the OS).

    So, that quote does not 'qualify' me as a 'fanboy' because I am simply stating my prefered system and noting the somewhat failed expectations of VISTA.

    Huh, I guess that would be because there are NO microsoft fanboys because everyone hates them because of one thing or another.

    Glad to be an apple user, they deserve their adoration. In fact look at what they are doing for their next release; none of that eye-candy feature bloated crap, just pure tweaks to make the system flawless.

    Also as a disclaimer, I do not condone the word fanboy. Liking something and talking factual does not mean squat. A little hard to say I am a 'fanboy' because I use both systems.
    You mis-interpret what fan and fanboy means. I am simply a person that enjoys the luxary that the new Leapard is giving me right now. If microsoft pulled their finger out and produced something that was as smooth, clean, crashless as the MAC, then I would happily buy it.

    I will not quote what you have written because it was not called for. I cannot believe how passionate you are in defending an OS and throwing slander around. In fact I am reporting you!

    Fed up with this idiot.

     

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:


  35. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Geeze this thread.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
     

  36. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    @Rist: Thank you for the report, I must admit I went a bit overboard and needed to be slapped back to reality. Just pissing off when people throw numbers into the equation of how windows sucks when if you just google Mac problems you get the same results. So please check your info.

    @Mirana: Sorry for sounding like an ass!!

     

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:


  38. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    1,837
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 282 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Brashen: Could be what you say. Might be the fact that mac has a small percentage of users compared to windows; that might be why you hear less complaints from them. Personally I am only going by what I have experienced from both systems and also from complaints overall I have seen.

    But, I do own Macbook pro, so maybe the normal macbook and entry level imacs have the same issues as windows.

    Maybe anything that starts into a mac v. windows should be locked at first sign of trouble (just for safety [for those involved]).

     

  39. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    1,498
    Thanks
    230
    Thanked 491 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
     

  40. #30
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    @Mirana: Sorry for sounding like an ass!!
    This is the only thing that makes me glad I didn't lock this sooner.
    Now lets all go argue about something that matters.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook