recent updates to some pieces
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: recent updates to some pieces

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

recent updates to some pieces

i've been playing w/ concept layouts as far as backgrounds, trying to pick up a looser style when appropriate and learn photoshop more. here are some pieces that were recently updated. fresh meat-pick em apart and let me know what you think

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey julian, hope this helps;

1st: The creature is looking good, I'd suggest maybe some more texture, but the lady has a lot of issues. She's falling over for one, one eye looks larger than another, but the main issue seems to stem from the perspective; it looks like you're trying to portray her as if we're looking at her from below, but this doesn't match the way her feet are planted nor does it jive with the rest of the perspective. From what I can tell from the beast and vague background, it appears out eye level and horizon is somewhere in the middle of the image. If this is true, then we can't be looking at her from below, rather he waist would be at our eye level (thus her boots and head would recede slightly either up or down due to it being either above or below the horizon)

As it stands now because of the perspective mismatch, her head is much too small and she looks skewed. If She's on another layer (or able to be copied and pasted to another layer) you could probably free transform/skew/perspective/warp your way out of this, but failing that I'd say she could use a repaint.

2nd: Some of the texture of the police car is looking pretty good, but the rest of the piece has textural problems. he ground shows something that I used to do, which is create a VERY evenly textured ground, since that's what dirt looks like right? For some reason dirt is notoriously hard to portray realistically, but check in the FF section and note how a lot of the pros create their grounds, a lot of the times it's various closely related flat coloured painted solidly on the ground with a few textures here and there. It looks so simple but it takes a while to get the hang of it, but I'd suggest trying it. The city lokos rather blurry/unfinished.

3rd: The texture on the beast is nice, but I'm having trouble getting a sense of lighting. It SORT OF looks like it's lit from above, but the lack of cast shadows is hindering this; if it's lit from above, his hand/weapon would create a shadow on his leg as it crossed over.

Anyways good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so true. the perspective is off on the girl. We'll see how I fix that one.

on the police vehicle I did leave the city pretty vague because I was timid to overdue it or take attention away from the vehicle. I'll detail it and maybe desaturate it in the distance

As for the beast, I'll play with the shadows more.

thanks a bunch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to let you know, the large amount of heavy texturing in the backgrounds tends to draw away attention from the subject matter. You might want to think about controlling the texture more to emphasize the subject in some way, or at the very least, tone it down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks again for critiques. here's what I could do for the perspective issues on this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quick paint-over. It seems to me that you are trying to portray the main character in three point perspective. However, the vertical vanishing point, or the vanishing point above her waaaaay past the frame of the image, is distorting the proportions of the character. Frankly, I don't think this is necessary at all since you are doing a character design.
    Another thing that you should think about is the gesture of the figure as well as the anatomy. She is way to stiff, to vertical. Her pose suggests a contraposto pose, in which her weight is leaning towards one leg, but this isn't very clear. Even if you want her standing symmetrically, the look of the figure will still be effected by a proper gesture in the planning stages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah this has been a perspective disaster for me. I realized some of the things you mentioned before reading your post. Your paint over helps me a lot. I dont know why I'm having so much trouble with this piece. I'm gonna take her apart and redo her once more. Thanks for all of the input.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.