Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts

Got Call From Publisher, NEED HELP

Hey guys,
    WEll first the good news, I have got a mail from a publisher acout the comic I was working on.
    But They asked me a few questions and I really dont want to answer casually ... and give back a professionally decide....

Heres what they have asked
    Could you do it in 80 pages with a beginning middle and end? How long would
    it take? What do you need?
    I know my answers...but still would like some insight from you guys ...
    Thanks
    Bhanu

And what all questions should I ask them????

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Could you do it in 80 pages with a beginning middle and end?

SAY YES!!!!!!

How long would it take?

If youre not sure, tell them, but then add youd make it a priority - and then do so.

What do you need?

Start by making a list, and then let us see. Im no expert on this part, or any of this actually.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am thinking
    100 days more or less..but I am not sure.... so I will ask them how much time is good enough for them..will try to hit the mark from there onwards...

Wat I need?
    I dont have a professional letterer right now..I got the pages lettered for free from a newbie who just wanted some experience..and all...and I am not sure he will be able to handle a pro job...
    there are somethings on my mind ...but lets see

Thanks
    My experience is that when you ask them how much time is good enough for them, the answer is always "as soon as possible, monday would be best!", which will not bring you any further to the job. So rather give them an honest answer. They will complain if that is too much for them. just my 2c.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jabo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Estimate how long it would take, then build in a little time for yourself in aces of mishaps, or just so you have time to really polish everything up. Unless you are completely unrealistic (such as asking for 2 years), if your time frame and theirs don't mesh it should probably just come down to a discussion and final numbers can be agreed upon. I wouldn't worry too much because different artists are different, so there is no concrete "right" answer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am planning on asking back the question how much time can they give me or my answer would be...100 days

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Always, always, always start any negotiation by asking for more than you will settle for. So, if you think you need 100 days, ask for at least four months.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    WEll I did ask for flexibility so to mean that I would like more than 100 days if possible....did not really mention them the exact number of days....
    Is that okay?
    I hope so...cuz the letter is sent

I feel like an idiot now...can I still go back to 4 months?? I am waiting for their reply now...

Thanks
    No one wants to hear vague numbers. A publisher wants to be able to make a plan and schedule. It's far better, in my opinion, to give a solid number that has more time than you think you'll need. If you are early, everyone is happy. If you are late for any reason, no one is very impressed, and possibly quite pissed. A vague number leads to a lot of uncertainty on whether you can get the job done, and leaves them with no idea how to schedule things.

It might be all fine though. I expect the publisher will take your rough number then throw a due date out at you based on that estimate. If you don't like it, ask for another date, but be specific (and flexible because they may have a great reason for choosing that date). Do everything in your power to make that deadline and have the product be as good as you can make it. Like any relationship great communication is key.

Thanks
    80 pages is a pretty big commitment. What you can consistently manage over a small amount of time can easily stretch once the weeks drag on. If it is full colour and lettered by yourself I would not go for any more than 3 pages a week. That's a reasonable rate for a pro. When you hear comic artists say they do a page a day it's usually just the pencils. Also notice how books get fill in guys. The reason is usually because of deadline slip.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot guys..but now the equations have changed....I was sent a contract where they want all the rights for everything .....everything...I get to have no rights or control over anything...
    For 40$ of profits or someshit...so right now the big thing for me to do is..negotiate what all I am getting out of iut and what all I givee...
    Man this sucks...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Sounds a bit iffy that, assuming it's your own characters, story, ip etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhanu View Post
    Thanks a lot guys..but now the equations have changed....I was sent a contract where they want all the rights for everything .....everything...I get to have no rights or control over anything...
    For 40$ of profits or someshit...so right now the big thing for me to do is..negotiate what all I am getting out of iut and what all I givee...
    Man this sucks...
    OK, here's your next step in the negotiation:
    "I'm sorry, that's unacceptable. Good bye."

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Is that a US publisher, or from elsewhere? I know for a US publisher those terms would be incredibly poor, but I have no idea how they stack up against international terms. I'd be very very wary of giving up all rights, but then I have no idea if that is considered somewhat standard in some countries.

Either way, good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Man this sucks...
    Are you saying they're paying you 40 dollars per page?

Or 40 thousand for the whole project?
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Arf that's pretty retarded who the fudge do they think they are? Marvel???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Maybe market and promote it yourself? talk to some people who started their own and go from there? i'm no comics expert but that might still be an option.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sorry I posted it wrong
    its 40% of the gross profits...

and its an american publisher.... and I am looking around some comic book forums and finding out tht this deal completely stinks...and its more like a work-for-hire deal then creator owned work deal...

Thanks
    sorry I posted it wrong
    its 40% of the gross profits...

and its an american publisher.... and I am looking around some comic book forums and finding out tht this deal completely stinks...and its more like a work-for-hire deal then creator owned work deal...
    Man, a work-for-hire is way better than a back end deal. At least you will get money up front or when you finished the job. For a back end deal, you never know how much you will get at the end. It only happens when the publisher "really" print the book and depends on how they calculate the "gross profit." It's rare you will get the money that worth the time you spend on the project. If you really want to go for it, at least negotiation a term to set a time limit for the publisher to print the book. (Like within 6 months after you finished the project.) Or else the copyright will return back to you.

Good luck.
    Visit my website @
    www.Pencilkiller.com

My first published work
    www.Rhysmyth.com

Thanks
    This isn't Tokyopop or some other american manga publisher is it? I've heard they have really horrible deals. Yeah, if this is an American publisher that deal straight out sucks (unless it's their characters, in which case they generally WILL want all rights I'd think).

Thanks
    I dont wanna name the publisher .... I mean naming just one publisher wont really do much..... there are many like taht...well the characters and everything else is mine...
    here it is...
    http://bhanupratap.com/index.php/kid-wid-jaw-my-comic/