Thanks

Artists Stop Flaking Out!

I don't know what the fuck is going on but the past three conceptual artists I have been working with are nothing but flakes!

This is not one of those "All artists are flakes" posts but this is getting out of hand.

So here is some advice for all of you who are looking to make some solid money through commissions etc.

1. If someone approaches you to do a commission or a series of commissions and you THINK you have the time but you're not ABSOLUTELY sure, DON'T SAY YES!

2. If you sign an NDA, set up pay pal accounts for payment and receive all of the content then decide to stop emailing your client for a month, this is BAD! You as a professional have FAILED....IMMEASURABLY.

3. If your client remains polite and simply asks for a confirmation that this isn't going work, that you are in fact a FLAKE, have the decency to email them back, acknowledging that yes, you have FLAKED OUT.

4. If you have already spent any advanced payment, and leaked content from the NDA, you should know that you're about to move forward as a professional FLAKE because a professional LAWYER will be calling you to let you know SHIT IS ABOUT TO HIT THE FAN.

Honestly you guys, the CA.ORG community is about pushing ourselves as artists but it also about growing as individuals and professionals. So if you have a friend who might be flaking out on a project have the balls to step up to the plate and make it clear what they are doing because the stronger we can be with one another the better our art can be when we work together

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Presence For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with you (we're not all like that though I assure you). If artists want to be professionals, they have to BE professionals. This kinda thing happens alot too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    if any of you guys are wondering why it's so hard to get those first jobs, this is why.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Making art is a great profession, but it is still a job.

Thanks
    You should always try, take every chance you get, because even if you do fail at the end, you'll learn, it'll become part of the artist's experience.

We must be fearless, take risks, yes listen to others too, because kowlegde is a weapon and will guide us, but this risk taking will give us confidence more and more, and that way we will be more sure in ourselfs.
    >>> GALLERY <<<
    <<<SKETCHBOOK >>>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    I imagine any artist worth hiring is already aware of that advice

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    I imagine any artist worth hiring is already aware of that advice
    The problem here is not all artists are worth hiring.

Thanks
    alas, they're not the ones reading this thread (look at the majority of replies in the job forums for good examples of those)
    WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Well maybe it is time that we do something about this, put something in place to help all of us.

An artist's code as it were.

I know CA.org does a ton of workshops, but do they actually talk about professional practices? What to do not only as an artist but as a professional?

I think this could really be a good thing for the community.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Presence For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Unfortunately sometimes you get what you pay for. Struggling writers with limited amount of funds sometimes can only afford amateur artist wages. I'm talking about 10 dollar comic book pages and shit like that. If you are paying professional wages you should expect professional results though. Protect yourself with completion timetables and penalties for lateness. If you are paying shit wages that equate to about $1 per hour then expect well...a gamble on this unknown internet artist who posts from "whoknowswhere".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    Unfortunately sometimes you get what you pay for. Struggling writers with limited amount of funds sometimes can only afford amateur artist wages. I'm talking about 10 dollar comic book pages and shit like that. If you are paying professional wages you should expect professional results though. Protect yourself with completion timetables and penalties for lateness. If you are paying shit wages that equate to about $1 per hour then expect well...a gamble on this unknown internet artist who posts from "whoknowswhere".
    You have a point to a degree, but any serious artist would treat any job they accept more or less the same. If you accept a job that pays $10 you need to treat it as seriously as a job for $1000. It's your reputation either way.

Presence, where are you hiring from? I assume from Concept Art? Maybe there's something in the hiring process that leaves you open to flakes that we can help with. I've never been on the hiring side of art before, so I have no idea how common these issues are, but I'd think there would be a few things you could watch out for that might be warning signs. Like for example, if you ask an artist for his rates, and you find someone really good AND really cheap. Is he just new and looking for a break? Or does he have no clue how much work might be involved, and might flake out when he realizes?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is where asking for references come handy. But it makes the goings tough for newbies. And I agree, no matter the amount you charge, you should act in a professional way. If you don't think x$ is worth your time, don't take the job.

Thanks
    I have quite a bit of experience with commissions and working with artists in general (I work for a VFX house).

I also know what it is like to be on the other end, being the artist and the unexpected variables that come into play both personally and professionally.

But nothing and I MEAN NOTHING excuses a complete break in communications with your employer. You're not working at the mall here kids, you're working at your trade and with people who you might connect with later down the line.

I tend to overpay and have flexible deadlines but that only comes after seeing a solid portfolio, work experience and references.

Yet here I am, surrounded by flakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Being flakey isn't my style. I'm the only artist with th cookie crunch.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    werd. that is why massive black exists. not everyone can do this stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

22. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good thing you made this thread. Now people will stop flaking out.
    SSG 37