Follows
    Following

Live drawing, painting and more - feedback needed

Name:  av.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  74.3 KB

Art student, lacking feedback
    Dusty old sketchbook, 4 years old. Please skip to some newer posts

Last edited by silverrspells; June 13th, 2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First sketchbook ever? welcome aboard. Nice stuff for a first post. It's hard to really crit anything without seeing more, just keep postin'!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey welcome to the site! You will definitely get valuable help here, people are honest and knowledgeable.

I'm definitely a bit of a noob but I'll try to help out however I can. For having no art class at all I'm impressed and encouraged by what you have. You have a good eye for detail, nice job with the drapery on the last painting.

The proportions on the portrait look great, something even people doing art for years have problems with.

As far as suggestions, you could probably work on coming up with some kind of background instead of just pure black. It worked to set a mood for the portrait but for the rest it doesn't do much.

Also, get into art class! It's a lot of fun and you will be so glad you did

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why thank you! I will certainly start working on backgrounds.
    New stuff soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a first post, that's some good work! It's also good to hear you've been trying different media.

I'd recommend staying away from pure black and white. White snags the eye, which will be counter-productive. We respond faster to brighter lights, so you can easily give focus on things using tone. In some cases, pure white can be useful. But in general, use a light shade of grey.
    Black makes an image look very flat. If you look around, and observe intently, you'll notice there's very little in this world that actually is pure black, it's mostly just different shades of grey.

We, as humans, have this habit of generalizing things. It's important to see things as they are, and distrust our interpretations.

I'm not sure if you've done some life drawing, but it's great to start! You can do so just by finding some household items, and putting them on a table. When you draw them, just remember to observe much more than you sketch (80/20%). And draw the objects as they are, not how you see them. It's something you've probably heard before, but it specifically means drawing the object itself, and not drawing what you believe it should look like. When drawing a foot for example, beginners will often draw the fifth toe even if it isn't visible. You've just got to draw what is. Observe carefully.

Have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Challie View Post
    For a first post, that's some good work! It's also good to hear you've been trying different media.

I'd recommend staying away from pure black and white. White snags the eye, which will be counter-productive. We respond faster to brighter lights, so you can easily give focus on things using tone. In some cases, pure white can be useful. But in general, use a light shade of grey.
    Black makes an image look very flat. If you look around, and observe intently, you'll notice there's very little in this world that actually is pure black, it's mostly just different shades of grey.

We, as humans, have this habit of generalizing things. It's important to see things as they are, and distrust our interpretations.

I'm not sure if you've done some life drawing, but it's great to start! You can do so just by finding some household items, and putting them on a table. When you draw them, just remember to observe much more than you sketch (80/20%). And draw the objects as they are, not how you see them. It's something you've probably heard before, but it specifically means drawing the object itself, and not drawing what you believe it should look like. When drawing a foot for example, beginners will often draw the fifth toe even if it isn't visible. You've just got to draw what is. Observe carefully.

Have fun!
    Thank you for the recommendation about black and white
    Talking about pure white, you said it can be useful in some cases; is it ok to use it when painting surfaces that reflect light such as bottles, glasses, or Christmas decorations?

As for still life drawing, I have filled a notebook this summer with drawings of different household items and I can't wait to post some of them; I'll get them scanned soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff.
    -the clock is still life work
    -the 2nd skull is made after a photo reference I had found on the internet some time ago.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice works, the female study is reminiscent of monets work. keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice start.
    hah! I think I have the same digicam.
    Er, anyway.
    Those pencils are nice but try to make your hatching less random.
    Either make the lines parralel or make them "bend" aroound the form you're trying to describe.
    And... make your life easier and get a tablet.
    The graphire 4 series is really inexpensive and does a good job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyDumbfounded View Post
    Hey, nice start.
    hah! I think I have the same digicam.
    Er, anyway.
    Those pencils are nice but try to make your hatching less random.
    Either make the lines parralel or make them "bend" aroound the form you're trying to describe.
    And... make your life easier and get a tablet.
    The graphire 4 series is really inexpensive and does a good job.
    Thanks for the advice! I shall definitely practice more regarding the hatching issue
    As for the tablet, I've got it on the Christmas list

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about some fractals?
    I'm not claiming to be a fractal artist. I only use Apophysis, and I'm trying to learn about the mathematical background of fractal geometry, so that later I might be able to create my own transforms and be able to illustrate something, instead of trying to guess how a specific 'transform' works. 'Transforms' are actually mathematical formulas of specific geometrical figures, written in a programming language, so that the fractal person only has to change some x y z variables, play along and combine them.
    Here there are some of my best fractals, in a chronological order. The last has just been finished.
    I just attempt to do some fractals from time to time. It's a great way to chill after a nasty day

Last edited by silverrspells; November 1st, 2008 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's looking good. But don't be afraid of the darkest darks and the lightest lights in your drawings. Mostly you're sticking to the safety of just gray. There will be somewhere on your object that is the absolute darkest, probably some very strong shadow, and by making that as dark as your pencil allows you'll have a wider range of values and it'll help with the 3-d illusion. Also there will probably be an area of strong hi-lite and that would be your lightest light, erase that area down to white paper. Of course if you're using a really hard lead you may be drawing as dark as you can do, in that case do yourself a favor and make it easier by picking up a softer pencil to draw with. Something like a 3B should do.

The crystal ?sugar bowl? is really nicely done. And I love this fractal. Good stuff. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1225580159

Keep up the good work and thanks for stopping by my sketchbook and leaving such helpful constructive comments.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also to help with those anatomy studies check out Loomis. His books are second to none and they've helped me a lot. The books are out of print but they're all available in pdf format for free here: http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MyOrangeHat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, and welcome to CA!

You have a good start here, and you've already collected good tips on Loomis' books from MyOrangeHat, so I'd suggest you follow that advice as soon as possible since it will help you out a lot! =)

Other than that, I notice that you seem to "pet" in your line.
    That's a bad habit that you probably want to get rid of, so try to put down a line with a single stroke.

This thread can probably help you out when you're trying to find the proper lineweight

If you have any questions, or if you want an explanation for something: always feel free to ask =)

Keep up the great work!

ReviseTheMethod - DefiledVisions - wookiedabo

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
    Such a heavy burden now to be the One
    Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
    To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen... "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, I shall study more, because I'm not sure I have understood correctly what you've told me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some really nice fabric in the latest one. I must admit folds in fabric have always given me trouble, but you seem to have no issue with them. Nice job.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    homework second part

Last edited by silverrspells; December 6th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Homework third (and also the last) part.
    I'm not very satisfied with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, that last one's alright, I can't see why you don't like it. you're doin well, more studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a looong time
    Critics and feedback more than welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back with some others...

Janos is offline Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on Fu! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi
    Some really nice studies in your last post. The limbs are still a little stiff, try making the lines more fluid and it'll be great. Definite improvement.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice progress. your cats beautiful! the only thingy i wanna crit about is: do more. just dont settle for 3 drawings, do 6, or smth. even if its just your hand, your face in the mirror, or the box that you have your pencils in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Old stuff I forgot to post.
    I finally came at peace with tempera. I shall post the evidence, later.

Last edited by silverrspells; February 19th, 2009 at 04:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hellooooo! damn! AMAZING progress in just 2 pages! (or one, whatever ) Last gestures really stand out from the rest. Also like the fractal stuff. I am intrigued ^_^ come on, post the tempera stuff! Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Promised temperas
    Sorry for such a long break, I had a lot of school work to do.
    I kept on drawing for my class, though. And I also started learning 3dsMax.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And also, sorry for the crappy photos...
    Soo... some other stuff I selected from the bunch of trials/sketches I made during the last weeks (too lazy to take photos of them all).
    I have more sketches with animals but they are currently at school for a small interior exhibition. I'll post some of them as soon as I get them back.

I mostly like the last one (the cloth), of course. I has been the homework for today.

I'm still trying to gain money for that damned graphic tablet, but I'm not feeling very lucky. Plus there are lots of concerts coming and that means more costs.

Mmmmore to come

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting structures , this is a good path you are on , you should push harder , and if you do more like those you did in the last post , you cant be wrong , i advise more power in your drawings and a good way to understand this is to start doing some charcoal sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ba, Giorge, m-ai inebunit cu un carbune! )))) dar yeah, charcoal is your friend! nice stuff you got going here... the last one is cool and definetly shows some progress has been made! keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.