Wolf's Ritual

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wolf's Ritual

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wolf's Ritual

here is the concept of a virgin who prayed for the upcoming spring's time.
    i'm trying the texture brush for the BG.. but still not satisfied.. CnC are always welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    something doesnt sit right about the hands... they look a little large maybe? not dainty enough for such a fair maiden??

Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by Doomy522 View Post
    "i mak dargonses i drawd and kolerd them >!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, something's bugging me about those hands, too... almost like they don't belong with that face. The wolves also need a little work; the laying-down wolf, in particular, seems to have perspective and/or anatomy issues, and the muzzle/face of the sitting one seems off to my eye. JMHO, as usual...

-----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx..nate01776, Brightdreamer.. u r rite, the hands are awkward... i feel worried about it too much but can't repair it then because it was in single layer.. ;( the wolves was drawn from 2 images.. n i dont think of the perspective issue...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chanf View Post
    here is the concept of a virgin who prayed for the upcoming spring's time.
    Looking at the image, I would have never guessed the concept you are trying to illustrate.

For starters, the woman's pose doesn't imply praying in any typical sense. I also find myself wandering about the importance of the wolves. Why wolves? I am led to believe they are just as important as the figure due to the background lines leading towards them.

The hands are very large. Typically, the size of the hand should be the same as the distance from the chin to the hairline. Your hands drawn are a bit larger than that. I also see that you have one cast shadow from a thumb on the face. Think about your light source, and use cast shadows to establish the spacial depth of elements of the figure. As of now, the figures wrists seem paper thin and appear to dig into the chest. Cast shadows will help define the arms as being in front of the chest, rather than inside the chest.

The figure's lips aren't wide enough. The corners of the mouth should align roughly with the pupils (should the figure be looking forward).

What bothers me the most is how unnatural the figure's pose is. When I make the pose, it just seems very odd to me (this is one major reason why the action is unclear). The arms don't look like they're attached to the rest of the body. Study yourself in a mirror and consider the angle the forearms and upper arms would be in that pose.

I'd highly recommend taking some ref photos with the light source consistent with your picture to help go about rendering the values.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx.. actually i dont have any strong concept for this piece.. just imagine of one woman with the wolves and snowy place.. that's all..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the hands dont bug me much...what bugs me is the little mouth and the big chin ^^

the wolf look really good though...especially the one who is laid down...the other has a strange eye

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chanf View Post
    thx..nate01776, Brightdreamer.. u r rite, the hands are awkward... i feel worried about it too much but can't repair it then because it was in single layer..
    WHY??? Always make several layers ! One for the face, one for the hands, one for the wolves, one for the face colors etc etc... And keep it all along.
    Maybe some artists work with very few layers but they have strong skill to do that, and no fear to paintover.
    Also make some iterations! maiden-wolf_01.psd, you change something, add an important part ? -> maiden-wolf_02.psd etc etc...

Even if this is one single layer, make another one and paint over. You have no choice!
    ... yes you have... keep it with the hand issue. :/

I figured that there is also anatomy issue about the shoulders. And the arm angle is strange, the hands can't be in this position if the shoulders are like this. You should draw the whole pose. Draw the entire chest and arms, and not only what you see : also draw her collarbone, even if we are not supposed to see it. It will help you to prevent anatomy mistakes. Then crop the pose, to make the composition you want. But at least it would be more coherent.

Last edited by Clochette; October 15th, 2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.