Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Excreation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Excreation

So-eh...
    I was, like, pressured into starting a new sketchbook.
    Studied last year at Atelier Stockholm, and now I've started at this one year course with teachers from Saint Petersburg's Repin academy.

(I'm truly terrible at editing scans...)

Cast drawing with china ink (underdrawing with pencils)

Life drawing, 3 hour pose.

A self portrait. Likeness is totally there.

...I value my drawings so highly that I draw on paper that shows through... Also I usually draw on both sides of said quality paper, so...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are lovely! I can't wait to see more. The only thing I could critique is the horses front legs look kind of strange.

Keep posting please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks.
    The forelegs? Heehee, I was thinking the legs in the back were the worse pair... I'll try and find a way to fix them!

Some more...
    and even worse scans... :|

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive stuff! The lion cast drawing (or painting if it's ink?) is amazing. I really like that horse as well. I can see that you've got a good handle over values (I guess you can thank your Bargues for that ).
    You say your teachers are from the Repin Academy, but where are you studying? Anyway, teachers from the Repin Academy must be amazing! Keep the posting up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lion head is very convincing! Only at the right it starts to feel a wee bit too flat.
    You deserve better paper!

My sketchbook contains cartoon studies and Pokémon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo, you finally came to your senses and started a sketchbook!

That lion cast is awesome, it actually has some feel to it... wich is a rare thing for cast drawings... The life drawing looks good, nice to see some rendering =)
    Don´t know about that "self portrait"... doesn´t look very much like you unless you´ve had some serious accident since I last saw you. Creepy. This one looks more like you (no not the goblin/troll) http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1221298953

Serpian - Hey David, it´s Samuel from school... the young one, not the priest... if you had any doubts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, really nice stuff here! The line and tonal work seems very good.

I like the horse's back legs, although the right one seems to melt into the lower back. Not that I know much about horse anatomy, but it looks strange to me. What I like about it is the blockyness, it feels so meaty! The tail also seems somewhat cartoonish, and not so much like hair.

I'd like to see some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that cast drawing is spot on... yeah i know what you mean by drawing on both sides of the paper.... well with most sb's costing 25c a page i dont think it'd be a total waste if you just draw on one side + it keeps it from rubbing agaisnt the other graphite on the other page, which yeah is a total , using fixative can be a bit tedious...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, dmitri. It's been awhile since I've seen art from you. That cast drawing is fantastic, and your pencils are looking great. Post more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Serpian, I suppose it's some sort of a painting then... just wanted to think of it as a drawing so that it would go better. The place I'm studying at now is this cutesy place. So, nothing fancier than Kotka~~
    Jasper Flick, actually, in the final version there are some highlights and whatnots in the shadow area too, so it should be less flat. I also had a little trouble with the ink, couldn'treally get it to go as dark as probably would have been good... well, live and learn, it was fun to do.
    Schmull, it's just the ink looking SO pretty. Unlike charchoal, it's naturally gooorgeous no matter who handles it. Also, a great difference comes probably from the fact that this was around 30 hours of work... you know, instead of 300.
    And it looks just like me, you've obviously never looked at my face.
    Max Challie, thanks! Yess, I'm not the only one who thinks the horsy is nice and meaty, thank you! I tried fixing the legs and tail with reference, but don't know if it became any better...
    polipol, I don't think my paper costs even that much... and I bought it to have some paper on which literally to just draw crap... but... then I somehow got precious about it too, it is sort of nice.
    Ex Nihilo, thanks!

Hopefully fixed the horses legs... and then some sketching. I'm trying to relearn the ability to actually sketch (without it looking like a bloody carwreck)... so hard!

(...I'm a little wordy I guess.... )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We started painting with oils at school and I'm... screwed. I have very little experience with paints and colormixing, and the attitude is that if you have gotten accepted there, you must know something about all o this stuff. The teacher just told me to go and paint when I was all "I have no clue what to do!"... I had to start practicing at home, with my lovely tubes of watercolor. And I assure you, out of all the little painting thingies I've done, itwas really hard to find this many that weren't completely terrifying.

Also moar life drawing... the teacher complains that my drawings are sort of lifeless (hmm...) so I'm trying to mess around with them more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice that you´ve got started with painting! I think the upper right one looks nice. Don´t think those last life drawings are as nice as your ordinary ones... but still, experimenting a bit maybe isn´t a bad idea. Like the last one in the previous post!
    Have mr Novoselov been at the school yet? Or will he just be there for a week or something like at Atelier Stockholm?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for stickin with me with the whole navel thing hehe

before seeing this update i was going to repeat what your teacher said, actually.They must see a bit lifeless maybe because of the expression of the characters, the static look of some poses but more that in the pose and in the actual drawing itself, i'd say its in the lines, that give the drawings a bit of a lifeless look.Make those lines pop, even tho it doesn't seem precise to you, exaggerate once in a while, try and get some actual pleasure in the lines themselves without concentrating on the "correct" look...in short, loosen up.And as i see, my suggestion is quite useless seeing tat last life drawing, cause THAT is exactly what your drawing needs, a bit more looseness.Really like that last one.Suggestions? check out people that use lines that speak on their own, or people that make stuff look awesome even if the lines themselves are a bit trembly...check out kent williams work...thats the first one that came to my mind, but they are load of 'em bastards.
    I found this blog to have some pretty inspring reads and some nice view of the author on what makes " a good drawing"...check it out (maybe some pages back, there must be some entry that will catch your eye

illustrationart.blogspot.com/

thanks again for the spot on critique, i'd be glad if you stopped by again, constructive criticism is very appreciated

the academic drawing,c ast drawing, all that stuff, very very good, just...not my piece o cake

ciao!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I'm not even entirely sure where Kotka is!

The life drawings look good, the apples as well. How do you feel this school is compared to Atelier Stockholm? I posted my first impressions in my thread as you requested, now it's your turn!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Schmull, as I have access to said "nicer life drawings", I would have to disagree. :B
    TheGnoll - wahwah, finally people who agree with me... All of last year, I was complaining how dull my life drawings where, but everyone just said they were okay... didn't know what to do. Working on it (not always succeeding haha), thanks a lot~~
    I have actually been following that blog from time to time. It's a most delightful read!
    (And just for the record, I just HAPPENED to notice the word "boobies" in your thread title and had to check it out... )
    Serpian, it's a small coast town, really windy and rainy. Pretty though.
    The school... it's very different. I've been wondering what to say...
    I'd guess the biggest difference is that the atelier training is much more basic. No drawing experience is required and one can still get good results because of sight-size and the amount of time used on a drawing/painting. At the academy in Saint Petersburg... students there have years of drawing and painting experience already before they enter. Our teachers are used to students having a certain level. I'd guess the level at this course is much lower than what they are accustomed to... uh anyway, so, they are more "stop doodling, DRAW!" and less "that's a millimeter off". As we were drawing these skulls the teacher naturally said when something was proportionally off, but was more conserned that people would understand the shape and how to represent it on paper... less "copy what you see" and more "understand and draw according to that"... I'd say more advanced, but it's also the trouble - if I can't paint worth butt, these fine people aren't of so much use... I'd need the basic training in that.

...oki, I just like it cause our teachers speak Russian and have cool names.

Bloargh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful sketchbook! You seem to have marvelous pencil control, particuarly on your still lifes. I look forward to checking out more of your work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start. Really nice drawings

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! very impressive traditional stuff! great renderings! i'm envious for your training!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how you did the environment in that comic... and how the horsie dissolved. Is it something you will continue?

The pencil studies look nice, kinda pale though... ofcourse Im used to seeing those kind of studies in charcoal. Nice reflections in that, uhm, tin can (?).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okey so you've studied at atelier stockholm. are you swedish? Curious as I am, heh.
    Anywho thanks for stoping by my sb, love the horse concept you did in the last update. Also, beautiful skull renderings. I suppose you could perhaps push them values some. But yeah, great start, keep them coming!

/tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot.

Schmull, nah, I got up to the fourth page and while I had planned for some more, I... just can't get over the incredible buttyness of this page. Can't.
    I assure you the values make more sense when viewed in real life. But I do admit I have to come up with a way to decently do stuff a little more effectively... in the time allowed.
    (On a side note, it's SO WEIRD to listen to people say that a WEEK (eh, this, maybe in total less than 20 hours of work) is so much time... I'm always in a hurry. There was a little article of the school in a local newspaper and it was written that we might "toil on one drawing for as long as a week"... Uh. A whole week. Gee.)
    Tigermilk, no, not Swedish. Just your average gal next door. I'm so Finnish, it's probably bordering inbredness.

I feel as if after a week I actually should have something to show...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I´m not quite seeing the buttyness of that page, I think it looks nice. Do you actually have some clothed figure drawing? (or half clothed anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
    There was a little article of the school in a local newspaper and it was written that we might "toil on one drawing for as long as a week"... Uh. A whole week. Gee.)
    Haha, atelier stockholm would make big headlines huh As you might have guessed from the lack of cast drawings in my sketchbook I´m still working on the same one since beginning of september :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
    I'm so Finnish, it's probably bordering inbredness.

Haha, be glad you're not a finlandssvensk, we're only 265 000!

I like the new drawings, nothing specific to crit...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there.
    Nice drawing and good progress.
    Iäm a student at the Florence Academy Atelier in Gothenburg.
    Thought it was intresting to find other atelier student here in sweden that's registerd here at the forum.

Just started my second year as you I guess. So how is the course you're taking with this russian teacher?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Schmull, well, a lot is hidden in the supercool computer editing it went through. I assure you, it looks like complete butt on paper.
    Yah, we've had some clothed figure drawing sessions too.
    Serpian, SO TRUE. Thanks for the comment~
    Pencilator, hiya! I've checked out your sketchbook a couple of times... They do things REAL slow at Gothenburg don't they? I would have gone crazy...
    It's nice here, a real challenge... I'm super exhausted even though the days aren't long because it's quite intense...
    And I'm just blown away by our teachers... When they start a-fixing someone's drawing, STUFF HAPPENS...

I've been supersupersuper lazzyyy...
    supertired gnaw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice darwaings. Yeah, that's how we do it in Gotheburg, we sit around and get famous

Don't really know how you guys work in Stockholm or is it Finland, checked out a link further up, kotka something. Didn't know they had a "reoin academy" there. You learn something new everyday. How are the drawing sessions much that you have then?

The way they work at Florence Academy seems to work, perfect makes perfect, with hidden flaws

And a side track, if you keep working with you're usual stuff outside school, then the different ways you work are deemed to interweave. That's atleast my thought, and it seems like it's working. For the most part of my first year I was mostly just confused, but things are getting clear.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pencilator, thanks. Yess, I'm at Finland now, and the school here is way different from the atelier way! While we are doing some similar stuff (like, right now, drawing the little casts of facial features), the attitude to doing is a lot different. Plus we go FAAST.

...Hopefully I'll learn something and won't be just "theehee this guy is named Juri, theehee" all year.

...I'm being buttraped by modern medicine. I went to get help for one disease and now thanks to some years in the loving care of some really nice Dr Doctorses... I appear to have three chronic diseases and have developed an allergy for aspirine.
    And then I get lectures how my attitude about this is so bad and that I should be glad they are helping me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed even I was bored with my drawings so decided to try something a little different for a change. Woo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My scanner is a meanie. Eugh.
    Bothered to use reference for the last one... (aka sat in front of a mirror in a leather jacket and tried to look really manly, haha.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great works dmitri. I really like drawings from life...also the latest drawing with the gas mask looks pretty good! it is interesting to look at because of the contrast offered by the bulging raw mass and the elegant pose. keep it up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.