Grades or More practises?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Grades or More practises?

Just asking opinion of many artists here Do you think spending more time to render out a good drawing to get a good grade lets say A, or just spend lesser time rendering it and get a B or C + self practises on your own?
    In the past few months, i have tried so hard to get A but now i felt that maybe i shouldn't spend that many hours to render a work, instead, spend it on my self practices.
    Or maybe i should learn to work faster to get good grades + more time for self practises?

Opinions? Thank you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of the above?

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    forget grades they don't matter in the real world

the objective in the real work is the produce the best work you can in the quickest time possible without it affecting the quality of the work.Each piece will dictate the time it takes, remember simple things like shadows and simple shapes and strong composition can create a strong visual piece that might have more impact than a highly rendered extremely detailed piece

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tomwaits4noman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do what you have to do to pass the class with your best effort forward and work on getting faster in your own time.

People may tell you other wise, but grades do matter in the sense that it will show you're a decently well-rounded person, and you can get more scholarships and grants for college with a higher GPA.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to t0po.inc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best solution is to ignore the grade. Finish the work to the degree that YOU feel it needs and that makes you feel happy with it. If you have extra time, by all means get in some practice. Over laboring something just to get a grade is not going to help. You won't be enjoying it as much, which will show in the work and likely hamper the grade anyways. Don't shrug the work off either just to get in more practicing. Put in as much time as you think it needs to make YOU happy with it, then spend the rest of your time how you see fit.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure what you are being asked to do in your coursework, and therefore whether its a good use of time educationally, as compared with your self-practice.

What I can tell you is that, having looked through your sketchbook here, your problem is not "rendering", but accuracy of initial placement, and proportions - a lot of your drawing looks "wobbly" (though I should also say it's getting better). You clearly have talent, and are also working hard at it - but I'd encourage you to address the accuracy of your basic shapes in your drawings.

Last edited by dcorc; September 12th, 2008 at 11:04 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zaxser> hehe ok

topo> I guess so, although i didn't have any intention to go into a university..i guess a good GPA really shows im a well rounded person

j wilson> Heya thanks! I have the same thought too!

dcorc> Thank you for checking out my sketchbook! its really a long time since one commented on it and its great that u corrected my mistake too My coursework for the next semester are drawing, typography, basic animation, digital imaging(i think) and storyboarding

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.