Sketchbook: Live Free or Draw Hard

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Live Free or Draw Hard

Here's my new attempt at a sketchbook thread. I have an old one, somewhere, but it's under my old username (Alex the Red), and for the sake of easier editing, I decided to make a new one when I got a more literal username.

The first images, the environments, are a quick recap of the old thread. The face is today's speedpaint which ended up going a bit over the time limit (took me roughly two hours).

Feedback is always appreciated; the whole point of this is to practice and learn.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Alexander K; September 11th, 2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Topic Title Lacked Punch
    My sketchbook thead.

My friend's threads: Nightblue | Ronpower
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Alex,

Thanks for the comments in my SB. This may be my personal preference but for the last painting I tend to avoid using the opacity setting and favor instead 100% opacity and pen pressure to build each form by hand. It's a lot more work but I think it's the best way to have total control over the subtle shifts in hue, value and chroma. That's also why I don't put textures in my brushes until the forms are all painted - I throw on textures last as a superficial layer. With low opacity it can feel like trying to paint opaque skin tones with diluted watercolors

I want to see you copy some digital paintings you admire and paint all the forms without texture. I've found that to be a great way to understand another artist's process, whether they work that way or not.

Stephen

Thanks
    Stephen - I've tried using opaque brushes, but I find them very difficult to use. I do plan on practicing with that option at some point, and I promise I will do some digital painting copies; I actually did a Craig Mullins study a while back (and ended up using a hard, opaque brush most of the time). Just not sure I have the time to do it now, but I'll get to it at some point.

Oh, and to totally contradict my own "I don't have time" statement, here's another face. I should be working, but I had too much fun doing the first one, so I had to do Shaun.

My sketchbook thead.

Thanks
    This one started as another portrait excersize, but I ended up making it into a damaged robot/cyborg. Super original, I know.

My sketchbook thead.

Thanks
    I'm working on a larger action piece and decided to try a new inking style inspired by Salaryman. I like the way it's turning out so I figured I'd show the progress.

My sketchbook thead.

Thanks
    awesome stuff, you're using painter right, love the shaun portrait.
    and everything sounds like "use your fist and not your mouth" right now

Thanks
    Thanks, Abertrand! Actually, I work in PS exclusively right now. I do have a copy of Painter X sitting on my HD, but I don't have the time to learn the interface right now, so I'm using what I know. I definitely plan on messing with Painter at some point, though.

My sketchbook thead.

Members who have read this thread: 1