Trying to get back in the colorin' groove...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Trying to get back in the colorin' groove...

So for a while now I've been recently getting out an unusually long creative block and I'm slowly crawling back into getting some sort of drawing done. But for whatever reason I just seem to have trouble trying to do some coloring again. Whenever I do attempt to do some I usually end up just erasing it over and over again and I'm just left with a sketch.

What are some good coloring exercises to do to help alleviate this little curse of mine? Brotha gotta start producing again yo.

Also I've been seeing the term "blocking in" being thrown around here and there. Been trying to figure that out but I can't seem to get it down properly. Some tips on that would be nice too.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Off topic, your avatar reminds me of Dirk Erik Schulz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rage M. View Post
    Also I've been seeing the term "blocking in" being thrown around here and there. Been trying to figure that out but I can't seem to get it down properly. Some tips on that would be nice too.
    Blocking in is the process of slapping on flat colours. As far as I've researched, those flat colours tend to be the local colours of the piece, ignoring light source(s) into the equation for the time being. It tends to be done after a sketch has been established and can make colouring much more comprehensible after the "blocking in" process.

It kind of made me go "Wow, why didn't I think of this?" when I've first read about this in one of Bobby Chiu's books recently.

I'm not sure what troubles you're facing (nor am I the best guy to help you). You could maybe elaborate a little bit so it is clearer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Psychotime: It should because it was drawn by him (his representation of one of my old characters). :V

@The Amaranth: Well the main problem I seem to have with blocking in is getting it detailed afterwards. I've been particularly interested in coloring styles such as this or this so I've been experimenting in Painter for a little while trying to get a "hand-painted" look. I always tend to fall flat when it comes time to blend since it looks sorta "muddy" after I try it. Maybe I'm not using the right colors (or not enough), or it could be just the method I've been trying just using the default blenders. :X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Amaranth View Post
    As far as I've researched, those flat colours tend to be the local colours of the piece, ignoring light source(s) into the equation for the time being.
    This can be really confusing, because you should get the local "tone" down right in those flat colors according to lighting conditions, but don't need to be overly concered about the local colors just yet.

And here's a link for underpainting and blocking in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.