new art, please respond
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: new art, please respond

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new art, please respond

Please have a look at these 3 new drawings I've done in the past month. I don't have a scanner yet so I transfered the images from my cell phone. I haven't really drawn anything in a year or so. Then I all of a sudden got creative and just drew. I never did complete a picture either. I always throw down rough sketh lines and suspend creation when my ideas start to manifest themselves, but before completion. So these 3 drawings are the closest to being complete than any of my art work has ever really come to. I have my old work at http://www.geocities.com/sai1796/BlacknWhite.html If you have time, please take at look at my old drawings and these 3 and let me know if you think I'm improving at all. Thanks to all.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the older work, you paid more attention to detailing the faces, or at least used darker firmer values. In these works you have either drawn facial features very lightly or else in the third picture made alien faces that almost have no features. I makes the drawing look less confident. In those first two drawings the features are there. Why not draw them in darkly so they stand out? When they are left very light like this it looks like you are hoping people won't notice them. Blare out your faces confidently. They are what people will probably look at first. They will set the tone for the rest of the drawing.

I note that what has changed for the better is that you are beginning to shade in the background (making a vignette). This is good because it can accentuate the look of lighter areas of your character. What you do not want to do is outline the character with a heavy line because that makes the character cartoony and flat. If the background is very dark you can see where the character leaves off and the background begins without drawing a line around that character. In the case of that first guy, you have an outline around him that is darker than his facial features are. That is totally detracting from the three dimensionality of his head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there!

The drawings maybe need to be scaned on a scaner to do some justice.

At first i see that you are using your brain to draw and you need to use your eyes.

Theres a good book out there called Drawing With The Right Hemisphere Of The Brain by Betty Edwards, it will help and clarify that to you, theres around there somewhere onto the cyberspace....and in libraries too!

She talks about and old concept with new names but theres various tricks you will use for the rest of your life, like on Andrew Loomis Books.

Hope it helps!

Diego.

T=ART, ...keep going to that special place, never surrender...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.