Need a larger monitor, advice?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need a larger monitor, advice?

I'm on a 17" (set at 1152x864 - any higher and It makes my eyes hurt) monitor and it's starting to drive me mental now because of the lack of space to do ANYTHING in photoshop.

So I've figured that I probably want a 22". That would fit my desk space nicely.

I don't want to spend any more than 200... And as little over 150 as possible, really. I hate spending money.

I was looking at this one... http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132860...w_order_by=RUF

I'm useless with this sort of thing, just need some advice really, is this a good choice...? Can I get a better/equivalent for cheaper?

Thanks.

Sketchbook | Art Blog | Portfolio

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know anything about that monitor in particular, but in general Samsung is known to make some great LCD (tv's and monitors).

Good luck. Once you go with bigger monitors, you never go back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will get what you pay for. The panel in this monitor is a TN (twisted nematic). Since its a TN panel it will be 6 bit, meaning you have less colors and there will probably be a certain amount of color shift unless your viewing dead on.

It all depends on how adept you are when it comes to colors. Some people can notice a 6 bit dithered from a true 8 bit panel. Also because they are on the low end they seem to be more likely shipped with dead pixels.

Personally I would try and find something with an IPS or even a MVA/PVA panel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PVA panels suffer from low response time though...so if you're a gamer that might be an issue. Well, and they're much more expensive and very, very few 22" panels use them (you can find them in 24" and 20", strangely enough).

There's also little way to tell if a panel is TN vs PVA/IPS by listings unless you're looking at a review site. TN panels are likely the ones with a much lower price point and low viewing angle. HAJIME, try reading this review article. It's about 24" displays, but it will give you a lot of info on what to look for in a monitor and what all those specs mean. You can also do a search for "monitor" on the forums and find MANY threads on the subject.

I've been looking for the right monitor upgrade for a while now but keep getting frustrated and not choosing anything. :/ Why is it I can find displays with great color, but glossy screens, no angle/height adjust, and low rez? Or the reverse...all bells and whistles, shitty color/response? I need to just pick something 'cause the temp monitor is driving me nuts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out PRAD Mirana. Its probably one of the most comprehensive list of LCD's and what panels/features they have.

They also have a pretty decent buyers guide.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/buyers-guide/start.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're serious about your art you will not scimp out on the most important piece of hardware!! Don't get anything that doesn't have an IPS panel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So if IPS won't be on the listing, how do I even begin finding one in the right price range?

I don't use my pc for gaming, so I just want the best image quality for a good price.

I'm not sure I'd notice the colour shift - but I'm reluctant to pay out for a monitor, only for find in a year or who I can notice and have advanced, etc.

How would I tell what the monitor I'm on is? Because, I love this thing, it's just too small. I cannot find any name of code or anything on it which signifies the type.

Last edited by HAJiME; September 10th, 2008 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I will vouch for Samsung. My monitor has issues vertically though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DeadlyFreeze: I'm still trying to get through it all, but I'm still having the same issues as I was elsewhere. I have found monitors that fit what I need, but they are much too expensive. I could live without bells-and-whistles to have a decent panel, but they're ALL glossy. My studio has SEVEN huge windows on three sides and I'm already annoyed by reflection during the day on my CRT, so... I'm afraid I will just have to go from the $350 range to $600 to even get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HAJiME View Post
    So if IPS won't be on the listing, how do I even begin finding one in the right price range?

I'm not sure I'd notice the colour shift - but I'm reluctant to pay out for a monitor, only for find in a year or who I can notice and have advanced, etc.
    PVA/IPS panels are only found in expensive models. Thus, if you're looking at two 22" and one is 200 and the other 340-560+, you have your answer. If you go into a shop, you'll be able to tell instantly by ducking down and looking at the monitor from below. If the color shifts dramatically, it's a TN panel.

Unforunately, 22" is a popular size and most people want cheap for use only on internet/word process and gaming. That means almost all 22" panels are TN. To find a PVA/IPS panel in your price range, you'd probably have to look at a 20" that is likely an older model (b/c even 20" PVA/IPS is expensive).

Color shifting on TN panels is pretty extreme. If you usually do all your work sitting straight up, directly in front of the panel, you'll have less issues. Personally, I lounge all over the place in front of my bitty 15" temp monitor, so I can't imagine a 22-24". Go into a shop and do the panel test (looking at the monitors from below)...find yourself a TN and a PVA/IPS and see the color difference. Look to the sides of the TN panel as far as you would whilst working. If you don't see much of a difference, then go back to looking at TN panels. Use review sites like the one DeadlyFreeze posted, or Cnet.com, or pcworld.com, and look at their color, contrast and brightness reviews.

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are a couple that are really great, but I'm afraid are a bit on the pricey side. NEC's own LCD2490WQXi and the LCD2690WQXi which are really great but are priced at $1000 and $1200 respectively. But I'm sure you can find some great bargains on these. HP LP2475w is another good monitor and is less expensive from the 600 to the 800 dollar range.

I'm also looking for a new monitor but for a 30 incher rather.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    DeadlyFreeze: I'm still trying to get through it all, but I'm still having the same issues as I was elsewhere. I have found monitors that fit what I need, but they are much too expensive. I could live without bells-and-whistles to have a decent panel, but they're ALL glossy. My studio has SEVEN huge windows on three sides and I'm already annoyed by reflection during the day on my CRT, so... I'm afraid I will just have to go from the $350 range to $600 to even get a chance.

PVA/IPS panels are only found in expensive models. Thus, if you're looking at two 22" and one is 200 and the other 340-560+, you have your answer. If you go into a shop, you'll be able to tell instantly by ducking down and looking at the monitor from below. If the color shifts dramatically, it's a TN panel.

Unforunately, 22" is a popular size and most people want cheap for use only on internet/word process and gaming. That means almost all 22" panels are TN. To find a PVA/IPS panel in your price range, you'd probably have to look at a 20" that is likely an older model (b/c even 20" PVA/IPS is expensive).

Color shifting on TN panels is pretty extreme. If you usually do all your work sitting straight up, directly in front of the panel, you'll have less issues. Personally, I lounge all over the place in front of my bitty 15" temp monitor, so I can't imagine a 22-24". Go into a shop and do the panel test (looking at the monitors from below)...find yourself a TN and a PVA/IPS and see the color difference. Look to the sides of the TN panel as far as you would whilst working. If you don't see much of a difference, then go back to looking at TN panels. Use review sites like the one DeadlyFreeze posted, or Cnet.com, or pcworld.com, and look at their color, contrast and brightness reviews.
    Thanks, that's really helpful.

I cannot actually get into a position on my desk, where on my 17" (thatswhatshesaid) the colour shifts. I have to tilt the screen up, and crush down on my desk. I am, sat up, looking directly at it. But I wonder if on a larger monitor, I'd notice?

I'll have to go in store and have a look I guess - but I'm not really willing to throw that much money at a monitor. Which I guess means I'll have to get a TN.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.