Art: Environment Design- Derelict Spacecraft Corridor

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Environment Design- Derelict Spacecraft Corridor

There really is some great work on this forum! Man, what an inspiring place to hang out...

This image is a concept piece for a group project I'm working on with some friends. We're developing the visuals for a sci-fi short story (whose title I hesitate to reveal for copyright reasons) as a portfolio-building project.

This ship has been left abandoned for decades, and while left undisturbed, it shows signs of decay and neglect.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tbone310; September 9th, 2008 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Attachment Management
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you wanted to make it look neglected and derelict, the floor should not be mirror like in its reflectiveness. Scuffs, dust, scratches should be there. I would also like this piece to show a hint or glimps of what your trying to hide in the story. I like the walls, and the lights look nice, but you may want to consider red lights, as the conserve energy. Useful for a abandon ship.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Duman View Post
    If you wanted to make it look neglected and derelict, the floor should not be mirror like in its reflectiveness. Scuffs, dust, scratches should be there. I would also like this piece to show a hint or glimps of what your trying to hide in the story. I like the walls, and the lights look nice, but you may want to consider red lights, as the conserve energy. Useful for a abandon ship.
    I agree...it looks as if the ship was just created and built rather than abandoned and decaying. But its still a great piece...i just don't think it hit the right concept. Nice work though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reminds me of Tron. The straight lines, bright glowing "circuits" and dark bluish environment. The world of Tron is fairly clean-looking, though. This is somewhere between Tron and Bioshock.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff! welcome on CA dude!

(those grainy dust splatters at the light sources a bit too much for me though)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the piece and I can't bring myself to agree with the other guys' critiques. I very much get a sense of neglect simply due to the emptiness of the image. Scratches and scuffs would suggest heavy use and/or damage which may not fit the storyline. One idea you could try to really sell the neglect idea would be to dull down a couple of the lights, as if they need to be changed but there's no one around to do the work. Of course, I'm only giving this advice based on my own assumptions of the story that you've provided us. If you're client is happy with it as it is, you don't have to bother making any changes to the image now - they know what they want.

Lastly, I absolutely love the heavy dust around the lights. This really 'makes' the image for me as it suggests that perhaps the decay is actually organic and not the ship itself (dust being comprised mostly of human skin particles). Very nice touch.

Great work! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this if/when you post it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally agree with you NeecHMonkey...
    I quiet like the dust and its really adds to the mood. the only thing what I wanted to say that its a bit too much, as it looks more like small gloving bugs for me at the moment - even I know they are dust particles... <

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. m View Post
    I totally agree with you NeecHMonkey...
    I quiet like the dust and its really adds to the mood. the only thing what I wanted to say that its a bit too much, as it looks more like small gloving bugs for me at the moment - even I know they are dust particles... <
    Sure, I get what you mean.

What could you suggest to Tbone310 about this? Scale down the brush work on the dust? - That may work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my suggestion:

use the same brush for the dust, but in a much smaller size, with bigger scattering value and might be useful to use a Flip X or Y jitter on shape dynamics as well. this way you can get a more random and smaller particle cloud what might be closer to reality. you can erase this cloud back with the same brush for the final result.

as an extra you can add a bit more atmosphere to the end of the corridor with a simple noisy soft round brush (it could boost up a bit the depth of your image if you desaturate the same area as well)

anyways - don`t worry too much about these are small things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks so much for all the feedback. I really appreciate the time you all took to make those suggestions.

I did decide not to have a lot of dings and scratches, as I intended most of the damage to be cause simply by neglect. That being said, I agree that perhaps some of the lights should be dimmer, about to go out. I hadn't thought of that, and I think it could help. I also hadn't considered red lights. That could also be pretty spooky.

I'm doing more pieces on this project, as we haven't really decided on any final designs, and I will incorporate many of these suggestions. Again, thanks for your feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just think how creepy this piece could be with flickering red lights and seeping smoke. Add in some creepy sound effects and people will crap themselves. It reminds me of Doom, before all the shit hit the fan...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.