Sketchbook: The Guiding Star in my Universe
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Guiding Star in my Universe

Hey everyone,

Totally new guy to 2d here, im ashamed to admit ive completely neglected my 2d art for about 6 years ive barely picked up a pencil to scribble. Total disgrace, but all that is about to change.

Ive been doing 3d character work for a few years now, but believe in order for me to explore my full potential, and be the best 3d artist I can be, i need to really get down and dirty with 2d.

Im focusing on the basics to begin with, as I really am clueless. I feel like a pre-schooler with crayon. So its Basic poses, and simple skeletal structures expressed with lines for me until i can get a hold of this step a bit better.

So feel free to burn me or help me as much as you can, im doing this purely to learn.

Cheers!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; December 5th, 2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Update my Sketchbook THumbnail!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonights poses and base structures, im slowly finding a rythym, in just a few hours of practise, I really want to do more!

Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; September 19th, 2008 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches for tonight,

Already im getting a wee bit faster i think, and starting to relax and have a bit more fun, still feel like a n00b though, i hope that by continually doing these kind of things every day ill really get a good rythym going and at least be able to draw up a nice base skeleton posed in any position.

after i reach that stage ill be a bit more comfortable about drawing shapes on my skeletons.

Im trying to fit in at least an hour every night, and what i post up here is pretty much what i manage to get done in one hour.

SOOO SLOOWWWW !!! but ill get there if i keep practising..

Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; September 19th, 2008 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From tonight, i started looking into some more motions for some variation!

Im slowly building confidence in my strokes even though they arent correct yet hahaha! Its seems like an important milestone for me personally to not be afraid of using a stylus on a blank psd document to express even the most simplest idea of motion using this basic shape that isnt right.

WOHOO for me !

Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; September 19th, 2008 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty heres tonights sketches, ill start moving onto some shapes tomorrow I think see how I go!

I already feel like i could go out and tackle drawing some basic quick poses of people walking and doing stuff around town, something which I never really thought I could do. So im pretty proud of that! YAY!

Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; September 19th, 2008 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,

Update for tonight, decided to take it a step further and add some shapes to the skeleton, argh bit of a challenge! I hope with more and more practise i can really get down and dirty with anatomy!

Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; September 19th, 2008 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update from tonights session! more repetition needed!

Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; September 19th, 2008 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,

I chose to work on something completely different to anything ive ever done, so i picked a character from the kingdom hearts game, Kairi.

I originally set out to capture her as closely as possible but I soon felt compelled to make the design mine instead, and mature her just a few years.

For every problem i started to solve i started to see a dozen others pop up and before i knew it i was going backwards, so thats where i decided to leave it.

This is my Kairi,

I hope you enjoy looking at her cheeky smile as much I've loved building her.

Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; September 19th, 2008 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches from today.. i will do more and more!!

Ill try to clean up my shapes stage and focus more on getting a solid basic shapes structure before i goto the next step!

Last edited by PolarusUniversalis; September 19th, 2008 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhm, sorry but... I can't see anything in any of your posts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chris B: thanks buddy I didnt realise at all! Ive re-uploaded everything now!

Some more sketches form this afternoon. trying to nail down my shape process a bit more solidly - man i need more practise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might have neglected drawing for six years as you said, but you have a lot going for you already. Your lines are quite clean and good (digital?). Your figures have good sense of balance and movement. And finally, your method of building up the mannikin is very effective. All in all, a great start, keep it up .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just want to show you my meaning a little bit clearer I don't know the real post so I use your picture and make up a post myself

14. The Following User Says Thank You to openanewworld For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D.C. - Thanks man i really appreciate the comment. Ive just finished off a 3d project which was eating up alot of my time, so ill be spending much more than 1 hour per night on 2d now! woooo im all pumped and ready for it!

Openanewworld - Man thanks for all your help, im sure i will advance so much quicker because of it. I owe you 2 x dinner now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, an update of my new 3d piece that im starting, its from the little guy in my buddy, openanewworld's sketchbook.

I hope he enjoys it when he sees it, as i know i will enjoy working on him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello. I really like how you build up your figures from a simple skeletal structure. I need to start doing that. I also like your 3D work. Keep it up and post more

"BEGIN WHERE YOU ARE; WORK WHERE YOU ARE. THE HOUR WHICH YOU ARE NOW WASTING, DREAMING OF SOME FAR OFF SUCCESS, MAY BE CROWDED WITH GRAND POSSIBILITIES"
    -ORISON SWETT MARDEN

SKETCHBK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spacemod: thanks man i will try to keep up the pace as much as possible! My method of building up the character i owe alot to my buddy openanewworld he is helping me alot! but im trying to grab the idea and use it in a way that suits me - having a pretty tough time.

I used to find muscle men really appealing to model etc, and females less exciting, but i have to say, its the exact opposite when drawing or sketching, females are just so much nicer to sketch! - I need alot of practise before i can get hang of the male muscle structure doh!

I also post up a quick sculpt i did yesterday in 1 hour. Ill also try to do more of these so i can get some head practise in!

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook. Your going in the right direction with the figure studies. Id say just put a little more thought into your line weight. It will help give your figures form and make them pop out even if it is just a line drawing. Keep it up.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Envisor - Thanks buddy ill give that a shot.

1 hour head sculpt today, tried to capture Al Pacino = fail!

cut short on the hair, and facial hair thats so classic pacino - oh well, good practise for me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook!

I think methodic of construction it's a best way to drawing.

openanewworld
    Thank you!

-
    Sorry for my english .
    I'am from Russia

Last edited by Mayskii; September 21st, 2008 at 06:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guys, some more practise heads sculpts from today and yesterday, will upload some 2d sketch progress tonight!

Mayskii: Thanks buddy!

An old man, and a generic meathead kinda guy! Ill start doing some female head sculpts tomorrow! these are 30 minute quick sculpts, from my lunchhour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey PolarusUniversalis, one comment and a question here:

You're pretty good at construction a figure, but your poses are a bit stiff. I don't know if that's from Poser reference or from drawing from the mind, but I'd recommend doing some life drawings to complement your drawing from the mind - it will loosen your linework a bit and give you a better understanding of natural poses. Just take a sketchbook when you go out and do some figures when you wait for the bus or sit in a cafe. It will seem impossible at first, but after a few days you'll realize how your art becomes more alive.

I attached an example of one of my own street sketches, as an illustration. Hope you don't mind that I clutter your thread.

Now, I on the other hand need to work on my constructions. I have almost exlusively been drawing from life, and I can't even draw a circle, if I have no reference. Your system of construction feels interesting and approachable to me, so I'd like to ask you what system you use and where you learn(ed) it - a book, a website, or was it the friend you mentioned?

Thanks for your help, and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    manfredkooistra: Hey buddy thanks for posting, i agree with you, my poses are really stiff, im using photoreference from the net - trying to capture the poses as much as i can starting from a base structure and working my way up.

Im not even daring to go into a shape that is strongly accurate yet,, more an impression on where the skin is, in relation to my base shape.

Ive got a strong sensation that im trying to go forward too fast, that i need to ease up a bit, and work on my base skeleton and structure and really get that process nailed down before i go too much further.

I learnt this tehnique from my buddy openanewworld, I think its a solid way to go! Its really helped me get a start!

Heres a couple more, from tonight, but i think im loosing my base a bit. I need to really take time back and focus more on grabbing that initial shape first THEN pushing onwards...

Argh patients needed...

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well you started in the right place anyway, some ppl jump straight into painting an impossible task- your drawing skills will quickly improve if you continue this way dont be discouraged because it isnt ' impressive'

and take all the time you need to do things- rushing always shows.

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarusUniversalis View Post
    I'm using photoreference from the net - trying to capture the poses as much as i can starting from a base structure and working my way up.
    So you are not just drawing the photo reference, but trying to deconstruct and understand it? That is good. No, that is excellent! Keep doing that.

And don't get impatient. You process with be a bit like climbing a mountain: some parts are easy, some are steep, and sometimes you even have to climb down a bit to get to the place where it goes up again. Sometimes your drawings will not be so good as they were yesterday. That is normal. You are not a machine. Even your favourite food does not taste the same kind of good every day. Just relax and keep going.

And do what you enjoy. Put some effort into it, sure, but basically don't do stuff you seriously dislike. After some time you will feel that you want to do something else, then do something else.

Ha ha, sorry for the lame tips, but I feel that doing art is harder than doing sports because we are doing it all alone, most of the time. Motivation is difficult, and sometimes I just need someone to say what I already know, and give me a pat on the back. So, just patting your back. I'm glad you're here and do what I do. You ARE getting better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rattsang: thanks for the heads up buddy, ill remember those words!

manfredkooistra: exactly right, well actually i lost my way for a while, i was just trying to copy some of them, but quickly got kicked back into reality when i wasnt learning anything. Thanks for the positive words, i really appreciate them!

Ive taken a step backwards and forgotten about the skin stage, just trying to nail down a solid shape stage that suits me, i think this one is a bit complex i will go for something simpler in the next stage - i picked up a burne hogarth book today with some valuable sketches in it, so ill definately read up on that tonight!

This took me almost 2 hours ARGH!!! * pulls all of remaining hair out *

Also a failed head sculpt from yesterday aiiiiiiiiiiii today is not my day for art it seems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches from this morning, i will do more of these i think. Until i can capture a good sense of movement and posture from just these basic elements!

Also a sculpture im working on !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poses for today...perspective is throwing me off big time, have to try and avoid those pictures until i can get really simple stuff done well first!

Also progress on my sculpture!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grat stuff man *.*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dojiartwork0sac: Thanks man!