Sketchbook: Hugeharhar-Sketchbook -New Illustration and Concepts 2/3/14 - Page 5
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Hugeharhar-Sketchbook -New Illustration and Concepts 2/3/14

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so spent today setting up the gallery space for my show coming up on the 5th. It's pretty sweet, the whole deal. Every first Friday my home town throws down a party downtown. Down there, there is a building called the Macon Arts Exchange. It's a three story building and every floor is filled with rooms with artist studios. First Fridays they throw a show, all the members put their junk up and I got invited fill up a room with a friend of mine.

Mostly oldies and I think it is about time get rid of them.

And some Moleskin WIPs.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Cow143 looked awesome..nice to see the digitals are as crazy as the pens...
    Yeah I agree with Rist, don't know how to crit you..hehe. Love some of the shapes of those thumbs.
    That last one has a great texture, do you plan those things? Do you have somkinda focal point you are thinking about? It's trippy because I'm seeing lots of faces in there....
    I think it's cool because you worked my imagination. Hell, I'm even seeing a mutant ninja turtle now And its changing every time like it's fluid and ever changing if you browse my eyes from corner to corner. Cool stuff! But if you ask me some stuff I'm getting was creepy...must be my imagination then.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to meduza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meduza- Thanks for the comment! I've been learning a lot with the digital stuff lately. Doing the COWs and watching some of the CA downloads (Androids fine art video is sweet as shit!). For the big scribble I just scribbled out some large shapes in pencils. I tried to make those all drawn from the arm. After that I just filled it in. I tried to make the majority of my influence flowers, but after awhile, I think I was just doing it mindlessly.

Here's an update on some of the art being done for the show. These are collab works between my friend Marcos and myself. There's also some pictures he took of us putting the stuff up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really digging the update man!
    Love the contrast of the scribbled papper and the canvases on top! never seen anything like it.
    Thanks for the inspiration -Omerta

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the gallery space looks great! i'm digging how you put up your large scribble-tastic drawings around the room.
    the second drawing in post #121- love how your pushing away from the symmetry of the drawing/sketchbook with the cloud looking shape.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RETEP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Your traditional style is looking great. It looks more controlled than a Jackson Pollack, but less controlled than a Picasso. Key to fine art is to bluff and steal ideas, I hope you are mastering it! I'm trying to :p

Good luck with the show, just set up mine last week and will be on public on the 11th.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, it is so cool to see how busy you have been. You are going to have a fantastic show. Get enough z's before the opening, it is painful to deal with the public while exhausted. Your stuff looks good my friend.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mebiusu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, I'm sorry I've been MIA for a few days, it's been a crazy time.

OmertA- Thanks!
    Peter- I need to finish that page. I've been skipping around recently, spending most my time drawing with crayons again. Fun stuff.
    Rist- Thanks! Good luck with the show. Fun times!
    Ed- It's funny you said to get some Z's...because of circumstances I ended up spending about three days awake, around the time of my show. Between getting ready for the show, doing yard work, working at 5 AM, having the show, celebrating, going back to work at 7 AM the next day, and just more and more...jebus it was intense.

Here some pictures from the show, I also have some sketch book pages I'm going to post soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the gallery looks wonderful huge!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tandy1000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really interesting works, colorfull i like it!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to towy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tandy- it's a pretty sweet room. Three stories high, and a nice view out of the windows, kind of hot in there though.
    Towy- thanks!

Here's some new moleskin WIPs. Most of them are pages done by several people, which actually gave me an idea for my next show. I'm thinking about just having a room full of sketchbooks, and something's on every page, and people can roam around and draw in them all.

It would be fun...I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah damn... i wanted to try and get down there for the opening! grrrrrr... sorry about that. If it makes you feel any better i had a great weekend in the ATL.

the new stuff looks great, and thanks for dropping the pintfroots in the bugggooks.

Remember that these markers you are using will respond better if you use a very light touch. it's hard to do i know...my whole drawing arm is made of lead...but they really do respond well to that.

okay thasall. cheers! the gallery opening looks fun! Wish i had been there!

m

edit: damnit! i want some special K scribbles for my wall...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to guggemmaneuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like your show was a good time!
    i would love to get hold of a gallery, and have a show with you some day. haha, that would be great. your sketchbook gallery idea sounds fun! its always great to get viewer participation. i was at a gallery a few months back where a section of the wall was allocated for people to draw on. they also other interactive digital works dispersed around the gallery. it was a cool show, but all the digital works were sound based so it got kinda annoying after awhile haha.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RETEP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    M- The marker pages are mostly collabs between a bunch of drunks and a drunk myself. Heh, arms were not so nimble at that point. I'll save some scribble scrabbles for you.
    P_ Dude, we'll most def have a show/plenty of shows at some point. Right now is the "deal with the lame shit" phase.

These are some more moleskin pages.

I've had a very...interesting few weeks recently, things happening...I don't know, but there some new ideas floating around, and hopefully things will calm down a little and I can do art again.

I think I'm going to start using nothing but crayola crayons and markers for a little bit. Ball point pens. Wooden pencils. Finger painting.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to HugeHarHar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more moleskin stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Love the moleskin pages!! Fu*kin' heaps of energy!

Dig your work man, keep posting!
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this little nugget of wisdom from steve kim (as posted in retep's book) i think applies to what you are doing here... advice i'ma strive to follow and achieve...

Quote Originally Posted by steve kim
    Like many the phrase "finding a style" is very problematic. Even before that, because you do seem to have a penchant for drawing, I would say take your drawing to a higher level. Right now it's 'accomplished' but not excellent and excellence is what you want. Hold yourself to a high standard and resist compromise and excellent drawing is an inevitable thing. And in the end good drawing will never fail to pay dividends. It'll make you a better painter too.
    PERFECTION! ART! we demands!

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; June 19th, 2009 at 09:07 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to guggemmaneuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at me posting with no art...I feel shame...I do.

Guggs- I agree that there's a lot of stuff I need to learn, but I'm not honestly to sure what it is, or how to go about it. I do face and body studies on a regular basis, and even a few master studies. It's not that I'm striving for a style, right now I've just been so stressed out, I'm just trying to keep busy with studies or just putting down what I'm feeling. If you have any suggestions on what I should sit down with and work on, I'd happily do so.
    Jailhouse- I shall keep posting, hopefully more often, school/work/personal shit has been keeping my plate full, but who knows how things will be in a few days.

Once again...sorry about no art, I'll have some up as quickly as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    of course i love the floating hand/heads + pattern moleskin page!! haha.
    there's a sense of freedom in your sketches thats always refreshing.

i feel like i am in a similar boat. i don't particularly know where my artwork is going or how to elevate it, i'm just trying to keep myself as busy as possible (making myself draw all the time). i wish i had some kind of suggestion to help, but i don't know myself. i do know the graphic novel you were working on pushed your work to new heights. keep it up!!

Last edited by RETEP; June 22nd, 2009 at 12:12 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to RETEP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, art time.

I know I've been flooding this thread lately with unfinished moleskin images, but sooner or later I'll have a bunch of finished ones...heh.

P_thanks dude. I need to get back to the book, but I really feel like there so much I want to change now, or it's one of those things I should of finished while I was there.

I just started a artist blog deal, and for the most part whatever art I post here will be there, CA is still the site that holds the most of my internet usage. I really try to avoid getting online...bleh.

Ehh...some more unfinished moleskin stuff. I have some portraits I'm finishing up right now, and I'll post those next.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 875 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have a great deal of talent and will be and incredible fine artist !!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3H, I hear you, shows are always more trouble than you expect. I love the pics. The moleskines are lovely, I really dig the woman with 3 hands and the profile of the woman and the fields of color, and well, I dig them all. Style is the natural by-product of learning and production through which, your own personality will assert itself.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Mebiusu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike B- Thank you so much! You're a rad dude, for posting so much artwork, and always being so cool with everyone.
    Ed- Thanks! I hope things are working out for you!

So on Monday I'm going to my local mall and I'm turning in leasing application forms for an empty space. The mall has started this program where they're taking empty spaces from where stores have left and turning them into local artist's studios.
    So within a month or two I'm going to have a permanent place to display artwork, as well as a personal working studio. I'm really excited, and I've been brainstorming so many ideas, so many things I want to do with the space! It's going to be tough at first, but I think after the two months or so it will all settle out.

...New sketchbook. I really should stop buying new books and just finish my old ones...damnnnnnN!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey whats up HugeHarHar!
    I know what you mean i used to buy alot of new sketchbooks
    I always like the feeling of the first page its normally my best page of all my sketches haha
    I have like 5 sketchbooks right now that arnt finished they slowly are becoming filled though.
    Keep it up man, new ideas always stir seeing your work.
    till next time

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had a really rad few days! Some new art.

OmertA- We're in the same boat! I've made a habit to at least carry all my unfinished books with me, so there's no chance that I, or anyone around, cannot draw. Glad I can stir up some ideas dude, your master studies are looking fantastic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The "I GOT YOU IN A STRANGLEHOLD" drawing is awesome and hilarious! haha

The stippling in these last drawings sorta remind me of an artist named kill pixie. If you don't know him you should check him out, cause he has some really great work.
    -You missed out on Six Flags! The roller-coaster called Goliath is fucking crazy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pet-s= Heh, thanks! I checked out kill pixie, very cool. I'd love to see some of his sketches. I know man, I'm getting durn sick of being this busy. I'm going to Atlanta this Friday, hopefully even Thursday night. I need to get out of this damn town...

Some sketchies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more from the same book. The pages are so intensely thin that everything bleeds through. It's making me consider the fronts and backs of each page and how to build images using both.

I've been carrying around a palette with gouache, and a waterbrush or whatever they're called. I've been putting thought into trying to design some concept art with this. Nothing solid yet.

I've been real busy with school, some how maintaining a completely average spot in all my classes no matter how much work I DO or don't put in. The studio I was attempting to open with a friend has pretty much fallen through and it's of course after the fact that I got super hyped about it and started telling people about how much ass it was going to kick, the other guy has pulled the ultimate flake.

I'm still trying to think of a way to do it solo, but it's going to take more time.

Sorry for rant. Here's art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could it be?

CONCEPT ART?!!!?!?!?!?

Most of it is probably illegible, but all of it is still in the early stages. Most of this is either legs and arms of golems or actual golems. I plan on drafting out some finished versions of these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hooray for concept art!
    I'm excited about this project, can't wait to see some of these golems fleshed out.
    Is that golem holding a billboard?haha

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6