Lacking inspiration
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lacking inspiration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Lacking inspiration

I've been in a drought for quite a while now. I used to have confidence in my abilities and loved to draw. Lately... (for the last 6 months) I've lacked inspiration and am not sure what to do. I am going to school for a Bachelor's in Game Art- I was wondering if anyone had any tips or experience with this sort of thing?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Think of something random. Like Mato Tipila. Whatever.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    weekly activities
    Daily Sketch group (DSG)
    JUST DOO EET!

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The brain sometimes just gets tired. If you aren't feeling inspired, you maybe need a break. Pushing yourself too hard won't help. It's always good to recharge the mental batteries once in a while.

There are things you can do that will help you relax again, and maybe even add to your creative mental files. Check out a museum, zoo, or aquarium. Go to a show. Check out a ren fair or circus. Take a road trip. Grab a ton of dvds and just chill for a weekend. Do ANYTHING that is a change of pace, will be fun and relaxing, and maybe spark a different part of the brain into activity. Any time you find yourself uninspired it could well be because you just aren't doing anything to get your brain moving. You need new input. Constantly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in the same boat. I took a massive hit to the old artistic ego when I realized that the Art Game isn't as easy as I thought it would be and my skills weren't as good as they could have been. I'm still drawing but lately I've turned more towards writing until I can get myself out of this funk.

I'm writing stories, sculpting and taking lots of photos, in other words, I guess I'm preparing for when I'm able to get back into the game and start drawing more regularly again. The trick is picking yourself up after you fall.

Try going back and looking at what got you interested in drawing in the first place, maybe lightning might strike twice.

Or as J Wilson mentioned above those really work!

Good Luck!

Last edited by Musselfarmstudios; September 8th, 2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling error

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Draw:

A giant corn monster with 6 arms, 4 heads (each having the face of a US president...but with fangs), wings, brass knuckles on each fist, a scorpion tail, and thigh muscles that are grossly out of proportion.

There...you are fucking inspired. Do it.

I'm serious.

-D

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you should relax and stop thinking that you HAVE to have inspiration all the time. Inspiration (in my experience) doesn't when you're chasing after it, it's kind of like the proverbial pot which never boils when you're looking at it. Bear in mind also that inspiration can come from anywhere. Instead of staring at a blank sheet of paper in your room, getting all frustrated with yourself, you could just go outside for a walk and take in your surroundings, study all you see, try making some crazy associations. Anyway, i guess what i'm saying is you don't have to force yourself to be creative, it'll come when it comes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh for God's Sake!!!

JUST GO DRAW SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carl Dobsky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ad3m1 View Post
    I've been in a drought for quite a while now. I used to have confidence in my abilities and loved to draw. Lately... (for the last 6 months) I've lacked inspiration and am not sure what to do. I am going to school for a Bachelor's in Game Art- I was wondering if anyone had any tips or experience with this sort of thing?
    On writing (audiobook thank you) by Steven King is great inspiration for me. I think the theories within can be aplied to any professional situation.

What's got you stopped? Is it fear??? Is it the stress, time and anticipation of going to college brings?

Six months is a long time for hibernation. Usually time away from the art desk for that long is inpiration enough. By what you wrote it sounds like you're searching and want it. There's alot of competition out there and those school bills are going to be insane after you graduate. Trust me- getting a head start to give yourself a leg up against your peers and competition should also be motivation. Think of some aspects or avenue's of "Bachelor's in Game Art" that you might not know-then investigate. There is a load of information on the web- Anything Wikipedia or wikiuniverse is a good place to start. You probably have some good time on your hands to explore on your own - you won't later.

Just set some time, 2 hours or so, to set aside a day to sit and stare at a piece of paper (or whatever) until something...SPARKS!!! Grab it and follow it- Meet your muse so to speak.

And if you need some greenlight or signal to start drawing then- You've got it from me and others on this thread! GO!!!

Now if you don't start, this thread was a waste and you redirected our inspiration to you. Trust me we have other places to put it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    Here's what I have. Read all. (maybe we should make a sticky thread with database )
    Prolly guddd idea, give lots of perspective on how often this comes up. I'd love to know what other artist do to kick themselve in the arse.

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second making a sticky thread with all of these (or the best ones).

That said, at least keep drawing. Keep your mind and hands active, even if they're simple stuff so you don't come back too rusty. Also, look into other things. The brain learns best when challenged with something new, and who knows, maybe the other things -- a good book, a movie, a trip somewhere -- could be what you need to jumpstart with a fresh idea.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try these:

www.forests-forever.com
    www.pbase.com - popular galleries section

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just throw a sheet over a chair and draw it. Draw an apple. Draw yourself in a mirror. No inspiration required for drawing representational works, only subject matter. For nonobjective you don't even need the subject matter.

Line drawing exercises are good for you, but pretty mindless. Draw a couple of points on a paper and then try to freehand a straight line between them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had this feeling too. This is usually the time when you have to change a method or a style. And set goals for yourself of what you want to achieve. This might help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Getting insperation for what to draw can come from anything and everything around our lives. There's always something you can take from the surrounding world; so many things to be thought, and so many things to make from everyday life. There's no limitations to what you will inspire you!
    And while your at it, try not to make it such a dire need to BE inspired. Just take a deep breath, take a second to be relaxed and think up of one idea and then expand on that single idea. Don't force it out. Just think about it, let it mull around in your head a little and then start on designing it (with whatever method you do design with)... It's kind of hard to explain in any more step-by-step depth than that before I start suggesting the wrong idea.
    One way of looking at insperation is to do something that I do. Think of it like this: Insperation is like a part of your brain that you work on daily. And just do it for breif moments of the day, you don't have to gobble up your time in "thinking mode". You just mold it peice by peice, day by day, idea be idea and maybe you'll want to change this part here or toss that segment there or move this entire peice into the grand scheme of your idea.
    Insperation is, in short, a way you absorb the people around us, the art that is produced, the nature that engulfs our lives, the technologies that enrich our world, and ultimately the way that you yourself take in all that surrounds us.
    Take in all of it.
    Take in all of what you see, what you hear, what you feel, what you think.
    Take in all of your responces to what you see, what you hear, what you feel, what you think. When it all comes down to it you rely on your experiance to make your insperation.

I hope that this helps you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's gone. 1-post-wonder :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    He's gone. 1-post-wonder :/
    Yeah. Those who create threads like this often seem to forget so I don't bother too much right now. Too much wasted energy.

But to add something constructive. Here's good quote.

"Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work."
    - Chuck Close

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second the "post the database" suggestion. It feels like we get one of these posted every few days or so :/

To me it's simple: take a break, and then force yourself to draw.
    Draw just anything.
    Don't care about whether it looks good or bad, you are still benefitting from the experience.
    Draw something you're not used to draw.

Art block is not something you can take a pill for and it'll go away instantly. You have to keep yourself inspired and motivated and love what you do - that way, you won't get art blocks in the first place.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.