Art: Zimfin's Finished Work

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zimfin's Finished Work

Hi all,
    Welcome to my Finished Work thread. I am happy to be able to show my work and get feedback from so many talented individuals and thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Newest work on last page.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zimfin; September 6th, 2014 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Trying to change title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is the right way to post more than one image! We'll see. The first was for a weekly challenge I won called "Horned". Done in Photoshop.
    Next one I won was my "Dragon Rider" done for the challenge "Losing Control".
    Next is "Sacrifice" done for a challenge of the same name. All my latest works have been done in Photoshop though I must find time to improve in Painter!!
    Hope you enjoy!

Last edited by zimfin; September 6th, 2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Trying to post more than one image without replying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where's Perseus when a girl needs him? Good job on these.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahami For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I recognised the Alma-Tadema influence immediately, so well done on that. I would say that if you put the same level of care into all aspects of all your pieces as you did for the characters in the first one then you will be producing some amazing stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    I recognised the Alma-Tadema influence immediately, so well done on that. I would say that if you put the same level of care into all aspects of all your pieces as you did for the characters in the first one then you will be producing some amazing stuff.
    Thanks Baron. Since the Alma-Tadema pic is my latest work I'll take that as meaning two things. 1, my work is improving and 2, I should spend more time on the others! Problem is I usually do a lot of weekly challenges. I might have to cut down on them for a bit.
    Thanks for looking and commenting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Earlier pics

Here are some of my earlier pics I never got round to posting. Hope you like and thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback folks. Here are some recent works.

Last edited by Jason Manley; April 14th, 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doodle2

Here is the next in my series of images inspired from my doodles. Hope you like. Feel free to comment as usual.
    Zimfin's Finished Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, this is one of my latest. Done in PS for a monthly IFX challenge titled "Ancient Greece".
    Zimfin's Finished Work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very impressive, the doodle is excellent. I think you can get more sophistication into the weapons.

Build your concept at a professional level about various things by Term Papers Writers :: Writing an Essay because knowledge skills are considered as first priority to understand artistic work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SashaMichelson View Post
    Very impressive, the doodle is excellent. I think you can get more sophistication into the weapons.
    Thanks! I'll certainly try!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest C.h.o.w. piece.
    Zimfin's Finished Work

Latest C.o.w. piece.
    Zimfin's Finished Work

This was done for a challenge on the IFX site.
    Zimfin's Finished Work

mr-nick is offline see, mr. indicates that I even have hair on my little toe
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your work. Atmospheric, nice colour palettes. I do think that your rendering skills far outshine your use of anatomy and perspective. That being said 'twas certainly 10 minutes well spent, looking at your art.

cheers,

nick

"I don't know kara-te, but I know, ke-razy!"
    -James Brown-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mr-nick! I am trying to improve on the anatomy and perspective side of things. I appreciate you taking a look and commenting.

From now on, I think I will post images as attached thumbnails, (like for the community activity challenges) so nothing gets lost. Here are some of the latest.

Last edited by zimfin; April 13th, 2009 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    let me say that the concepts and the topics you illustrate are awesome!!

there are some technical issues, but that you will improve it with time,

again, I love the illustrations

Alejandro Díaz
    VISUAL DEVELOPMENT ARTIST

TUMBLR:
    http://alejo-diaz.tumblr.com/
    DEVIANTART:
    http://alejodiaz.deviantart.com/
    COMMISIONS STATUS: OPEN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    adconcept: Thank you! I am lucky with the topics because a lot of the recent ones are from weekly challenges here on CA.org and they are great fun to do!
    I know I have anatomy issues which I am trying to work on, but if there are more you could point out it would help me to focus on them. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your water looks fantastic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome color choices, rendering and ideas in all your work good stuff man

Check out my Sketch Book here
    Crits always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bloocat & MR Roche: Thanks guys! I appreciate you taking a look at my stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems to have been a while since I posted in here guys. Sorry about that. I promise I have been busy! :-)
    Here are some more for you. I know I have issues with anatomy and perspective in particular, which I have been working on. All crits welcome folks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That old bridge is still there... And as Daffy Duck once said, "I wonder why they call a cute thing like you the dragon lady."

Thanks for the updates. Great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dahami: Thanks! I will try to update more regularly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my latest image from this weeks COW challenge. Had fun making this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, all of this is great work. I only wish I wasn't using my 10" netbook to see it all, because I have to scroll because the screen is so small. I'll have to come back to the finished artwork section when I'm on the bigger computer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    boxcargirl: Thanks! Yeah, it sucks to scroll. Glad you like my work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here of a couple of images finished up from sketches done in the DSG here CA.org
    The 3rd was for a CHOW a while back.

Last edited by zimfin; October 30th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew, I finally managed to get this one done! It was started for a CHOW many weeks ago. It maybe needs a little more work like scratches or wear and tear on the metal but I'm not sure. There is probably too much detail anyway. Any crits would be appreciated on this folks.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Scott - you seem to be working pretty hard at improving so I just wanted to offer a few observations and some advice.

You have pretty neat ideas - they are differrent enough from the cliche sf/fantasy stuff yet clearly fantastic. I think you need to get back to basics and focus on fundamentals. A better understanding of the fundamentals is what will help you execute your ideas to the level they deserve. I don't know exactly how to say this but your work is weak in all the important aspects of illustration - composition, drawing, value and color - I hope that doesn't sound harsh - I wouldn't waste my time providing any feedback if I didn't think you were ready for it and worthy of it.

Here are three books that I think would do you the most good:
    Drawing Essentials by Deborah Rockman
    Imaginitive Realism by James Gurney
    Drawing Scenery by Jack Hamm

Those books and a year of hard work will really move you forward. Good luck - I look forward to seeing what you can do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Hi Scott - you seem to be working pretty hard at improving so I just wanted to offer a few observations and some advice.

You have pretty neat ideas - they are differrent enough from the cliche sf/fantasy stuff yet clearly fantastic. I think you need to get back to basics and focus on fundamentals. A better understanding of the fundamentals is what will help you execute your ideas to the level they deserve. I don't know exactly how to say this but your work is weak in all the important aspects of illustration - composition, drawing, value and color - I hope that doesn't sound harsh - I wouldn't waste my time providing any feedback if I didn't think you were ready for it and worthy of it.

Here are three books that I think would do you the most good:
    Drawing Essentials by Deborah Rockman
    Imaginitive Realism by James Gurney
    Drawing Scenery by Jack Hamm

Those books and a year of hard work will really move you forward. Good luck - I look forward to seeing what you can do!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out those books.
    Could you, maybe using an example or Two, be more specific about how the pictures seem weak?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sure - glad you're interested in feedback. I'll still start with a couple general things I notice across the board then give some specifics.

Composition: Most pieces have too much going on - everything seems interesting so the viewer bounces all around trying to see this neat thing or that interesting corner, etc. Your image has to be about one thing - everything else needs to be secondary to that statement. Generally an understanding of classic composition structure will help a lot - that will help your work have focus and strength.

Drawing: Just need to spend more time in the planning stage - work everything out as far as composition, form, perspective and value in the drawing stage. Understanding value is what will help with a sense of light and thus reality in your work.

Color: Your color is just sort of "made up" local color and doesn't relate to the light in the environment. Color is best studied through outdoor observation - at least natural, environment color. Oils are the easiest medium to use because they stay "open" longer allowing you to mix and blend color until you match what you observe.

Detail: You seem to be very interested in making sure every detail is visible and "illustrated" - the problem is details distract from the statement you need to make. Add detail only where you want to attract attention.

OK - a couple quick examples:

Crystal Cave Dragon scene: just way too much happening - I know you like to sort of have a narrative or "tableux" presentation - that is fine - and very important in illustration - but the astronauts are each doing something different - the viewer wants to see what the guy is looking at on the screen thing - what the other guy is looking at - light sources are all over the place and cotradict each other, etc.

Minotaur: The anatomy just doesn't feel right from the start - but the main problem is the disconnect from the direction of the hammer swing and the impact/reaction of the warrior - they don't relate to each other as in cause and effect. The Minotaur is in a really uncomfortable pose as far as it making sense for the swing - stand, grab a broom and think about the action that led to that follow through - backtrack the swing and hand positions. See how carefully you placed the warrior's feet teh same distance from the minotaur's leg? So we don't really know if the warrior is in front, next to, behind - he's just sort of floating there.

Emerald City: There are three important things to look at here (I make this mistake a lot too) - the crystal sculpture, the gazebo and the bridge - the bridge just sort of goes nowhere - the gazebo doesn't seem drawn in accurate perspective - we seem to be looking down at it and it should be much taller than the sculpture so we should be looking up at the dome - also because its "grounding" is hidden it just seems stuck in there - the sculpture/fountain circular wall is not accurately drawn so doesn't feel
    circular.

Lizard girl: You have this huge space behind her...the viewer goes right past her, "excuse me Miss" - and wants to see what is in that big empty space back there to the left. Her skirt fold details - that fabric just wouldn't be doing that on her leg with all those little folds.

Uhm, so probably enough for now - the basic thing is to study your fundamentals. Those books should really help. The thing I think you need to do more than anything else is study from life - then when you go into an illustration spend far greater time in the planning and development stage - that is where a piece either succeeds or fails - not when it comes time to paint it.

Hope this helps - good luck man!

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 31