Is it too late?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is it too late?

In 2 months I turn 31... I haven't accomplished any of my dreams. I barely sketch and I own a piano I haven't learned how to play. By the time I'm skilled enough for an art job or get good enough at the piano I'll probably be middle aged turning 40. Late to the party, where will that get me? I'm so far behind I don't think I'll ever be at the level my friends and pros are. By the time they're 40 they will be masters by than and I'll still be a rookie. Life is too short to catch up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check this guy's sketchbook out mate. You would be amazed at what a person can accomplish in a few years, with a lot of hard work and effort.

edit: I'm not really saying 'yes' or 'no', because well, I wouldn't really know because I know pretty much nothing about the concept art industry... but for anyone who thinks 'wow, it's too late' or 'I wish I started earlier' or anything like that, MindCandyMan's sketchbook just shows how much a person can learn if they really put their mind to it and work hard.

Last edited by greenbears; September 5th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've often noticed old people responding to the idea of starting a new craft with 'oh it's too late now'.
    No.
    When you're dead, it's too late. As long as you're alive, you can have fun. That's why we are either professional artists or want to become them, for fun. Art is known as a career that snatches you little money; 'the starving artist' stereotype. We do it because we love it. And people often change their direction because art is no longer fun for them when they do it for a living. It's the case with many hobbies, just ask a hooker.

Art can just become your hobby, if you like. We do not enjoy the finished result, our joy in art comes simply from drawing itself. If you always focus on the finished result, you will rarely be happy with it and most likely never be successful. And success is subjective, it does not necessarily mean making money. Success is what it means to you.

My Grandfather doesn't have a craft. He never let go of a woman he fell in love with when he was younger (who moved away), and is now just stuck, and sad. Seeing him again after 13 or so years, with some limited knowledge of psychology, made me realize that you just can't do anything with sad people. They're not fun or interesting, and their own little world of drama means little to others. While drawing, I realized that he would be interesting if he had a craft. I could show some interest and learn something, possibly even become a mentee.

Become the old man who loves to draw, or the one who always said it was too late. Let me tell you, the former will be more interesting.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Basically, you have a choice between learning art/piano/whatever - or not. Either way, you'll still get to 40 in exactly the same amount of time. The question is, do you want to be an artist/pianist/whatever, or not?

31 seems to me very young to be getting out the pipe and slippers, laying in a supply of Werthers Originals toffees, a stack of inconti-pads, and going through the catalogue to pick out a nice set of funeral arrangements.

You need to read this thread (first post, anyway):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136056

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found this while travelling the world. Oh, do lots of that too.
    Name:  learning.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  29.3 KB

Last edited by Max Challie; September 5th, 2008 at 05:48 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jason,

I turn 31 in two months too, and like you, still haven't accomplished any of my goals either. I want to and will become a concept artist and illustrator someday. In order to get there, I draw and/or paint every single day, so that every night when I go to sleep, I know I will have brought myself one step closer to making my dreams reality.

If starting my training in my thirties is too late for me, well then, fuck it, but I'll still press on. Do I care that I may be "behind" the curve? Honestly, yeah, it does kind of bug me at times, but I don't lose sleep over it. Why? Mostly because I'm having the time of my life making art. I spent the last ten years trying to be someone others wanted me to be, when all along I knew I wanted to be an artist. And now that I am finally following my heart, I am having a blast.

Really - stop worrying about things so much and just enjoy the journey. Quit comparing yourself to others. If you must compare, only compare yourself with your past self.

You say life is too short to catch up. I say life is too short to not be doing what you love. You can be older than everybody else and still be at the party, or you can not go to the party, period. It's your choice.

The only time it is too late is when you're dead. On your deathbed, do you really want to face the ugly fact that maybe, just maybe, you could have been the artist you always wished you could be, but you let yourself be defeated by mere negative thoughts? Figments of your imagination, that only existed in your mind?

I sure as hell don't.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sfa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No it's not too late, because if it is, that means I'm in the same boat.
    I'm only two years younger and am still studying - I want to be an animator and am nowhere near the quality I need to be to make it in such a competitive industry just yet (nor the responsible head on my shoulders which I thought I should have at this age either).

I used to worry like this, but really the key is not to think about these things. Persevere because it's what you enjoy. Grow, learn, and opportunities will be found (or even find you) in good time, as long as you keep one eye out for them. You'll build your skills with these opportunities as well as your own study, so quit worrying and DRAW godflamit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sfa's post is right on!

Enjoying what you are doing is the most important thing. 3 hours per week of love with coffee in a cafe beats 40 hours of drudgery. And the more you love it, the more you'll want to do it.

If it ain't fun, don't do it. So make sure it's fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    two things/

I already am 31 and am beginning learning guitar.
    I don't feel old and I don't compare myself to anybody....

It seems to me that you are putting far too much expectations in something that is, for the moment, well... just "a thing".
    How can you be so stressed by your ambition when you are not even sure that it is music or drawing or the both.
    It is a matter of pleasure, it is the pleasure that gives the motivation to go on even if your pen doesn't follow your ideas, or when you get blisters because you played too much.

If you are too stressed you won't be taking any (of pleasure) because it will never be fast enough.

You have to think about why you want to play or draw and hold on to this very reason. And later, when you will find out if you are patient enough and tenacious enough, maybe you will decide that you can make a living of it (which implies a LOT of sacrifices).

good luck.

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep working man .Its something you love to do.You wanna die without doing anything?No, so keep the pencil and draw for you and humanity!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my few thoughts.

- There was one comic artist that I was always inspired by. His art basicly pushed me to draw and I always wondered how could he get so good. Only recently after looking at his biography I realised that his carrer really started to move forward at age maybe 39. That's when he released comic book I was always reading which is popular nowdays mostly in Europe. Of course earlier he did some illustration jobs but it was really small stuff. All his art that I admired was basicly mileage. That's when I thougt. "Wow. Some great things could await me too if I only keep looking long enough. Even if my art was miserable for next ten years, it's never too late." (I'm 25 right now).
    And you can get good in few years. MindCandyMan is great example.

- Do you have some portfolio? If you study for the sake of just studying that it might not work. You need some direction and actual representation of your skills that you can push forward. Do you want to work as comic artist, animatior, illustrator, concept artist, matte painter? If you know what you want then it's much easier to get closer towards your goal. Otherwise it will always be wandering in the dark.

I'm so far behind I don't think I'll ever be at the level my friends and pros are. By the time they're 40 they will be masters by than and I'll still be a rookie.
    You really don't need to beat anybody in skill to work as artist. Among professionals there are more and less skilled ones. There's enough of job for all.

Maybe this small interview can motivate a bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGq-9X3ho7U

Last edited by Farvus; September 5th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    Here are my few thoughts.

- There was one comic artist that I was always inspired by...
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by dcorc
    Basically, you have a choice between learning art/piano/whatever - or not. Either way, you'll still get to 40 in exactly the same amount of time. The question is, do you want to be an artist/pianist/whatever, or not?
    Agreed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    Who?
    Hehe. Sorry for not mentioning name. Grzegorz Rosinski

Toxdel is offline Yes, yes i do own a bar of soap Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a lady in a couple of my classes at Uni that has to be at least 60-70 and she is going for a bachelors in art, and very much a beginner in art. Out of all the other students in any of my classes I respect her the most for keeping her dream alive all this time, and holding her head up high everyday. Every time I look at her she is smiling and enjoying what she is doing. you've got at least 30-40 years on her and your going to just stop? give up? No, don't ever let yourself do that. You want something? then stop whining and go for it. Draw your heart out until you get to that point you want to be at. You've got a lot of life to live and your only as old as you tell yourself you are. I only say these things because not too long ago I was very depressed out my own personal success. But I don't worry about those things anymore, if I draw something amazingly sucky I just tell myself "Fuck Yea!"

- Peace brother.

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yes...thats wat I wanted to say when i read the subject...cuz I think that just asking that question is a step towards being too late....
    but jeezuz ...chill out man....its only too late when you stop trying and start doubting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally know an art teacher that only started to draw when he was 37. Before that he was a biology teacher.

Now he's in his 40s, he teaches art in a private art school and in the local college, and he is a locally known fine artist.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I’m 47 and have loads to catch up, and guess what? I’m just beginning to dream again, and it’s wonderful. You’re just a boy still. Just remember a lot of great artists didn’t hit their peak until well later.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No. It's never too late. Go for it, but only go for it if you go hardcore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "I've often noticed old people responding to the idea of starting a new craft with 'oh it's too late now'."

...old people? O...L...D... PEOPLE!?! You fuckin' diaper-sucking little brat, I oughta ...um...oughta...YEAH...

...and there's more where that came from...

huffhuffhuffhuff...

OP!...You're 31. I'm 62. 31 goes into 62 ...ummm...FOUR times... SO, that makes me seven times older than you...Alright, so...um...

I'm STARTING OVER FOR THE THIRD TIME!!!! Forgive me if I wipe a tear away here that just appeared out of pity for your desperate situation... Do you wanna race? Say "yes." I wanna have the chance to trample somebody into the mud that's already given up as you seem to be indicating you've done. I smoke, I'm a walking heart attack waiting to happen...again, I have the worst health habits of any living creature above the level of reptile, and I'm willing to try and prove I can do something before I'm dead that you think YOU can't do...because...you're...31...

POOOOOOOOR BABY!

Last edited by Ilaekae; September 5th, 2008 at 08:20 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to sound like a complete dick, but..................

These kinds of threads keep popping up in here. For God's sake people, this forum is for discussing art!!!!!!!!!!!! You know, composition, paint handling, theory, interesting subject matter. You know, stuff like that. Stuff that's suppose to make others interested in having a conversation about art and then being inspired and going and making it. I hate these pity parties that keep popping up SO F'N MUCH!!!!!!!

Make up your mind and do it or don't. And whichever you chose, don't cry about it. It was your choice.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Carl Dobsky For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's not to late, but only if you stop posting the same sort of threads you have for the past year-and-a-half and start doing something about it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason Windsor. I looked at list of threads you created. Wow. You posted exactly the same thing one year ago (Too old to make it?). Did you actually read it later beacause I don't even see that you responded to what everybody said?

I think I'm oficially going to stop responding to those threads. It costs too much energy.

Last edited by Farvus; September 5th, 2008 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Passing me by

Anybody else not getting anything done because all they think about and do is play video games? I sold my PS3 but now I'm thinking of replacing it with a 360. Spore comes out after the weekend. Gears 2 is coming soon, Halo 3 is still fun. Is it possible to play games on a daily basis and get any art done too? Maybe the bigger question is, am I addicted? I'm thinking of putting that piano I just got on Craig's List because I know about art, I know zero about playing music. I think I should just try to master my first love and start picking up that pencil again.

Any industry artists here that play a ton of video games? Is it even possible?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do I need to give up games for the rest of my life?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you even reading anything here, dude? People have given you some great advice here and you don't even acknowledge anything that anyone says?

I think I should just try to master my first love and start picking up that pencil again.
    Why don't you get off the internet and just go draw?? Is it really that hard?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bluntly put, i think you need to stop whining and thinking so much, and actually create some art. no better way than actual practice.

or, you need to stop whining and thinking so much, and just do whatever the fuck you feel like doing, no better way that that to enjoy life.

and with some luck (and maybe a hint of perseverance), both options turn out to be the same

(edit: reading up on what's posted above, this might not even be as blunt as i feared it would be.. get the message?)

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love what you do, you will.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's give Jason some help with his ART, folks -

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...76&postcount=7

Here's a recently posted sketchbook thread we all seem to have missed, so far:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135769

Tristan - the thread where he actually posted a drawing, recently:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135768
    could you please move it to the CC and re-open it, so that we can give him some feedback on the artwork he posted, please?

Last edited by dcorc; September 6th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Thanks for linking my stuff, I guess I should've stopped whining and linked it myself. Do you think it's decent? I'm wondering if I want to keep doing this. I love drawing but I hate how long it takes. Love/hate relationship.

Last edited by Jason Windsor; September 6th, 2008 at 02:43 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3