Thanks

hey op, was wondering about what programs are used.

hey op,

i'm a fine art student in scotland who is highly trained in oil painting and drawing but thats about it. basically as i finish my degree i have become more and more dislussioned with the contemporary art world and would like to put my ability to another feild possibly. decided to build a porfolio in my spare time but i have no idea how any of the finshed images i see on the web are acheived. was wondering if anbody could tell this noob which programs are used to create theses digatal paintings, photoshop etc, do you scan drawings in or do you use graphic tablets, any inforamtion would be greatfull cheers

i know this will make many of you's wet yourself, but i have only ever knew drawing with pencil and painting with oils, but am very computer adapt and would like to know where to begin in learning to create work on a computer aswell
    uncutcretin
    Last edited by uncutcretin; September 4th, 2008 at 08:34 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'd say get yourself a tablet (Preferably from Wacom, but there's other brands as well that are cheaper) And a Program that deals with pressure-sensitivity.

A good start would be art-rage i think, it tries to simulate traditional media such as oils and pencil http://www.artrage.com/artragedown.html

Also, afaik, Painter might be orth considering, for the same reasons plus it introduces a lot of techniques commonly used in the digital realm such as texture and custom brush-work.

For technique and howto like blending and stuff I refer to Min's awesome threads:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47859
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=107217

have fun!

Thanks
    never imagine you could get pressure sensitve tablet, does it change the density of the line i imagine? i must sound like a snob sorry

cheers, thats great information. i have corel painter x. but i feel you may need a tablet. how much would you say a decent one would set you back. i have used a really cheap wacom one before and it drove me mad. it was literally awful. worst drawing experience if you could call it that. i dont own a scanner but is it possible to start working off scanned in drawings?

fun is always had when drawing (as long as i get a responsive tablet) thanks for your reply
    Last edited by uncutcretin; September 4th, 2008 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks
    Maybe it's not the tablet but your PC? Tablets should all be quickly responsible (Well, that's relative, since RealLife is always quicker of course) but I experience a great improvement in speed when I free up my memory.

If you already have a Wacom it should have that pressure-sensitivity (Actually all tablets do AFAIK, only some brands have shitty drivers like AIPTEK or others where you have to adjust something)

I do not own Painter myself, being a Linux-user so I can't say where to adjust the pressure-sensitivity but there's a whole sub-forum dealing with technical issues of that program here on CA (Scroll scroll down south )

Thanks
    You should be able to adjust pressure sensitivity (and other aspects) in the "Wacom Tablet" system controls. Even "cheap" wacoms work in this way and for someone not fluent in them...I don't know that you'd be able to tell the difference between the "cheap" and expensive wacoms. Perhaps the frustration was from trying to learn a new tool? It's definitely not like painting with the real thing.

Thanks
    Make sure you install the drivers. That's the only way a tablet will start acting like a tablet instead of a glorified mouse.

Thanks
    Good point, CosmoChimp.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lol nice

Thanks
    Ok, you are refocusing from fine art to something else (presumably something more commercial like illustration?), but that doesn't mean that you HAVE to learn new tools. There are some illustrators that do still use real media

To answer some of your questions though, yes scanning a sketch and working over that is possible, and may even be preferable for you, at least at first. However, if you can't sketch on the computer, painting will likely be equally frustrating. As long as the pad is working properly and installed correctly the learning curve should be fairly short. I think most people get comfortable with it within a few hours. Most artists will use Photoshop, Painter, or both together. There are other options, but those two programs probably offer you the best options at a professional level.