Sketchbook: Joe Wilson Sketchbook Palooza of Doom
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Joe Wilson Sketchbook Palooza of Doom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joe Wilson Sketchbook Palooza of Doom

I've resisted putting up a sketchbook up until now because a lot of what I've worked on over the past year were for clients and stuff I couldn't really show off. I still work a day job, and I just wasn't getting a ton of time to get personal sketching or painting done that was anything more than glorified doodles.

Well, my schedule has opened up a little recently and I'm starting some new work all my own, so I should hopefully have some stuff I can share, and that is hopefully worth sharing.

First up is some rough sketches exploring an idea for a character/villain. I'm shooting for a very Nosferatu type being, but I want his head incased in an elaborate wrought iron cage. My concept is that this is a being so evil that he is eternally bound to his own private prison. Additionally wrought iron is just such a cool design element, and I thought the bars could also remind us of a crown, giving the character a very evil prince of the night type look. I don't normally sketch in Photoshop, but it's something I want to try to get more comfortable in, and I admit I'm liking the semi drawing, semi painting feel. Being able to paint details in and out, but still staying rough and loose is nice.

When I post the next sketches I'll talk a little about reference gathering for this project.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool stuff, I especially like bottom version. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, update. I did another sketch for my concept, more finished, but still not quite what I'm going for. I've included two versions, with and without the wrought iron cage.

Last time I said I'd talk a little about my reference search for this image. I knew I wanted a scary deathly figure, and I knew I wanted bald. I started by doing internet searches for photos with good lighting and other details for the image. I started with searches on old bald men. I was thinking wrinkly and maybe all liver spotty. I found a couple good ones, but nothing quite right. I then looked for tall and thin men, which also didn't give me much. I went a little bolder and looked for photos of hunger/starving people. Depressing, and I didn't find much that worked for me (way too many pictures of kids, and that wasn't what I was going for, and it was sad as hell seeing). After those I decided it couldn't get much worse anyways so I started looking for actual pictures of corpses. Those were actually easier to deal with than seeing pics of starving kids, but they didn't really get the look I wanted. Somewhere in those last searches though I found something unlikely that was perfect. Hairless cats. Wrinkly, pale, kinda creepy, but not completely disturbing or gory. So yeah, my villain ended up being based largely on photos of hairless cats rather than other much more gruesome things.

I think the moral of the story though, is you really do need a well rounded approach to finding reference. There is almost nothing that can't be used in unexpected ways for a cool concept. When researching something, try to think of different ways to approach it, and don't be afraid to get a little side tracked because you never know what kind of ideas will get sparked.

Anyways, this sketch still doesn't quite capture what I'm going for, but then I meant it to be a quick rough, and I spent a little more time on it than I intended because I was having fun.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you started your sketchbook on my birthday!
    i've been waiting for some sort of sketchbook from you, by the way.
    I admire your work.
    GO GO GO!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.