Words before art...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Words before art...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Words before art...

I'm establishing this thread for people to post ideas in that are NOT drawn. Comics, movies, and games are not just characters running around willy-nilly, spouting grunts and such. There has to be a plot--a reason for why they exist. A story-line.

I'm not asking for or expecting full script treatments here (in fact, it would really plug up the thread...), just IDEAS for stories that could be the basis for something greater when the art is added. If you have an idea for a story, post it here with a short synopsis of what happens, who the characters are and why we should be interested in them. It could literally be one paragraph. It might be a good bit longer and go into moderately heavy detail to get the point across.

If you have an idea for a character or group of characters that you think might be interesting in various situations that you would like to see developed further, post it here.

If you have an idea for an epic adventure, post it here.

If you have an idea for a short personal interlude between two characters that someone might like, post it here.

If you have an idea for a series of characters, story lines or situations that you think could be built into something much more powerful and involved, post it here.

This is more the literary end of the Sequential Story world. And it wouldn't just be for us. Other Challenge areas and just members looking for an idea are welcome to come here and browse to see if they can get something kick-started.

Just be concise as you can, as detailed as you can in a few words, and as creative as you can be. We don't want anyone afraid to look because there's a solid wall of 20 inches of solid text facing them--they see that and they won't read it. We WANT people to read your ideas, so keep it brief and to the point.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SPLIT

One idea I had back when I rode a lot was future noir story that focused a little more into bike art, like in the early going of Akira before it went all hocus pocus and giant blob oriented.

Lane splitting is allowed in California. For those not in the know, that means you can ride your bike between the rows of cars along the dotted lines. It's kind of maniac behavior but can really get the adrenaline going.

Many attorney services exist in the large urban areas which hire bikers or bicyclists as messengers because of their increased abilities to beat traffic jams (and deal with gas prices).

How does this all come together? Well supposing a couple of bike messengers are having lunch down town after their pickups or deliveries and they get their bags crossed. Then it turns out that one of them is working for the evil firm from Hell and gets killed when it turns out he no longer has the bag with the Maltese Falcon, or O.J.'s bloody clothes or whatever the hell was in there. Then the other guy finds out about this (and probably about what is in the bag he inadvertently got) just in time to start the great series of chase escapades and meeting all the cyberpunk weirdos who might be able to help him somehow (or might betray him, who knows). Ramble Ramble Ramble.

What's in the bag? It's got to be something incredible to drive the story arc onward into ever more hair raising escapades. What kind of characters does our hero know that he might be able to go to (for change of identity documents, or to tell him what the hell the thing in the bag is). What are the inevitable assassins like?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one is a sort of cross between Robinson Crusoe and Nostromo. (For those who don't read a cross between Pitch Black and Treasure of the Sierra Madre). A group of characters crash an air or space craft somewhere remote and the survivors find something like Lasseter's Reef. (it's in there. Just click the thing that says Search Wikipedia for ... I can't get the damned link to go straight in.)

Knowing it for a rich gold deposit they resolve to try to hide it's nature or location so they can be rescued without the rescuers finding it. This story is all about the disintegration of character in these people as they try to disable or hypothecate the black box, for example, that would lead the rescuers to them (and to the mineral formation) or trying to hide wreckage. They are trying desperately to be found, but to be found elsewhere anywhere besides where they are. They are losing sight of the value of their respective lives. Do they succeed in their desperate enterprise? Do they kill each other off one by one? Do they reach safety, only to return to the desert in search of their own discovery, and then die needlessly? Who are these characters? What are they going to do with this stuff even if they succeed?

Last edited by arttorney; September 8th, 2008 at 01:34 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one stems from a complaint I heard out of someone concerning a pet "ass draggin'" on a carpet. I conceived of a character or monster that was a dragon whose flames come out of the wrong end. I wrote him a little song. I hope you like it.

Myron the backwards dragon,
    Had a very bad digestion.
    And if you ever saw him,
    You would have to ask this question:
    Why do the other dragons,
    Always laugh and call you names?
    (They never let poor Myron,
    Join in any dragon games.)
    Then one snowy Christmas Eve,
    Santa came to say:
    Myron with your bum so hot
    Won't you melt my parking lot?
    All of the other dragons laughed and shouted out with glee:
    Myron the backwards dragon,
    You'll go down in history!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know space marines are cliche, but everybody loves drawing them so much. Here is a little scenario based on the premise that a personal antigravity device has been invented so there is no longer a need to do reentry by free fall. Now with controlled descent the atmospheric friction never rises to a sufficient level to burn anything. We find ourselves with an elite combat team so equipped who specialize in infiltration of less advanced worlds (e.g. a commander who is trained in tactics and orienteering, a sergeant and a corporal, an energy weapon person, a demolition person, a medical robot, a rifleman with electronic countermeasure expertise and equipment, a squad automatic weapon person, and a rifleman cross trained in engineering and languages).

How do these guys keep themselves together as they descend rather than landing potentially hundreds of miles apart? What do their suits and equipment look like? What does the mother ship look like? What is their mission down on the world that is today's story? Will they be picking somebody up? If so, how do they transport the extra suit and antigravity device? Is the antigravity device actually a squad antigravity device that they all ride together like some kind of Johnny Quest saucer? Does that person want to be picked up or not?

Will they be killing somebody? If so, why go to all this trouble? Why not just dump an asteroid on the victim's general vicinity?pld:

There must be some kind of a story behind all this. What is the best use of panels? A nice big environment splash for leaving the mothership and re-entering? Lots of dialog and facial close ups? How quickly do you pace yourself through establishing the scenario before you get into the meat of the tactical story? Are there any minor conflicts that develop during the course of resolving the major conflict?

Can these guys rise back up into the sky when they are done, or does somebody need to come pick them up?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little something I read in the King Features Syndicate listing in Artists and Graphic Designer's Market and I though this was the best thread to share it:

Good writing will help weak art better than good art will help weak writing.

dark eagle is offline i hatea the italino sterotypes ina da soc'ty Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pandoras box-esque.

A few boys are playing football(american or not?) and they happen to stumble across a ditch which one of them falls down. He sees infact it's not a ditch just a bushy bank. Theres seems to be a clearing and a light behind the dense foilage.

He walks toward it and there infront of him is a pair of wings. Which have straps so you can wear them.

--------------flashback---------------

A shooting star fell her a few days ago.

---------------and were back--------

So. He walks over to it and it seems to be bleeding lightly. He picks it up and puts it on with a slight back offish manner.

--------KABOOM----------

your choice.

or.

They engulf the dude in fear agony and wrap around him a tight manner squezing out the very last ounce of air inside him, crushing every bone.

Then out of the womb(what a caterpillar goes into before becoming a butterfly) an angel comes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buddy D, of "Buddy D's Pancakes and Burgers" off CO Route 47 as he hides in the employee bathroom:

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Yeah, bullshit. It was yesterday. I'm tired of this vague shit. It's not real. It's not-- They were supposed to be movies, man. Just movies!

Jaames was a regular hire, nothing out of the ordinary... but the double letters... fuckin' Lucas is famous for the double letters. I thought it was only some liberal crap, maybe his parents smoked-- you know.

Ah! What was that noise?!?

But then Jaames started fixing things, and-- machines aren't supposed to talk, man. The dishwasher... it told me to have a nice day. Do not tell me what kind of day to have... dishwasher!

And then THEY showed up, the two boys in black. First they were polite, asked if I knew anything about Order 66, asked if I was a responsible citizen and wished to remain loyal and serve my Emperor. And I was, like, heck yes. I voted Republican.

That's when it hit me. And I ran in here.

Ah! That sound! Two light sabers! Ah, a third!

I don't think my insurance covers this. I am so screwed.

God, what's that smell? Man, if hidin' in this bathroom is going to be a regular thing, I really need to Cometize this bitch."

---

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Know this thread is dead but I had an idea for a POW 'The Messenger' aaages ago so just thought I'd put it in here if anyone cared to use it and illustrate it.

The Messenger

Tobias is an angel. He looks after those that are in pain on earth, who have lost loved ones violently and before their time. He brings them the messages from their loved ones, one message per person, he helps relieve their pain. Then he is gone, but not before searching around the city high in the sky, searching for 'her'.

(background: Angels get their wings by dying heroically and have the option to deliver these messages however they have to wear a blindfold so as not to be tempted to stay on earth)

Back in the afterworld Tobias meets a rookie angel called Daniel who hasn't been back down yet and is having trouble letting go of his past life. Tobias counsels him (explaining to the reader the background info and some back story on Tobias -that his final act on earth was to save his wife from drowning, only to be pulled under himself)

When Tobias and Daniel go back to earth for Daniels first assignment Tobias comes across his wife. And she has had a baby, his baby, who he has never seen. So he takes his blindfold off to see her.

End panel..Tobias rising glorious through the clouds in rays of light without his blindfold, light spewing from his eyes. The other angels look on horrified.

That's it really, I don't know how to fill it in the gaps and I've had a go at drawing it but not got very far.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just for the record, no thread in tis section is dead if you can contribute or learn something from it. Thanks for the idea...

One question...you state the premise that the character is blindfolded so as not to want to STAY on earth, but when he takes off that blindfold, he appears to positively leave the earth...did I miss a transitional premise somewhere here?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ilaekae, thanks for putting me straight.

The end panel bit was the first thing I scribbled that made me think of the story, so my original idea was that even though the Angels can take their blindfolds off they still don't get to stay on earth and are banished from being an angel and get sent off into the ether or wherever. The premise I should have put across really is that they are told to wear the blindfolds so as not to remind them of their past life and help them get over it and to move on to their new (after)life?! Does that make sense. I need to get better at writing

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Either that or take out the End panel addition totally and have him stay on earth as a ghost haunting his wife and child? Could go either way I geuss..(I feel inspired now to actually do just the end panel as a painting, if I do I'll post it here)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok this is a very short story (or an intro to a longer story) that I came up with when I was bored at work and thinking about the shocking state of the planet and how easy it can be to fantasize about the idea of a 'quickfix' from some aliens.

The Clean Up Crew

Kugandi was an alien, quite a small sized alien for his age, although Kugandi never felt small, he always assumed he was an average height, somewhere in the middle, but people still refer to him as 'that small one'.

He worked on one of the biggest ships his people ever made, the ship was called The Galactic, he would have liked to have had a chance to come up with a name, he wouldn’t know what it would be, but better than 'The Galactic', it was so lame. Walking along the bridge of The Galactic he thought about the small blue planet they had come into contact with a few decades ago and were now heading towards. The planet was a good one to visit they discovered. They had a vast amount of oxygen and water, scarce things indeed, however they were in danger of destroying it completely. Kugandi half wished that this wasn't the case, he was quite a peaceful Arrolean, which was rare.

The Arroleans are famous in their part of the galaxy for being quite ruthless, ever since they invented the quantum telescope that could see into other dimensions they decided it was their duty from then on to keep an eye on their neighbours, and over time became more and more involved in their neighbours lives, handing out advice and retribution. Their version of retribution appeared, to Kugandi, to be a bit excessive. The last planet they visited had not taken kindly to their advice and as a result tried to fight them, and inevitably lost, the fools. Kugandi shook his head at the memory and the corners of his second mouth turned down ever so slightly.

He reached his station and several other Arrolean's looked up from their duties as he sat down, they focused momentarily before they realised he wasn't important and then looked back down at what they were doing. Kugandi started working the controls to the maintenance deck and rallying his robots to start their clean up before landing. Kugandi liked his job, it wasn't exciting, it wasn't even well respected but at least he made a difference to the quality of life for everyone even if people assumed he did nothing much.

He wondered what life was like on this blue planet they were speeding along to, he'd seen reports sure, and pictures, but they were from the telescope and the pictures were mostly a bit too fuzzy to really see the details. Kugandi checked to make sure no-one was looking and brought up on his screen one of the few clear pictures they'd received and he copied it, unofficially, from the quantum drive.

It was a picture of what he presumed to be the female of the human species, she was standing on a soft surface of vegetation and in front of a basic human domicile. Nothing special except Kugandi couldn’t take his eyes off her, his pulse raced when he looked into her small eyes and the fact that she had only one mouth wasn’t weird to him at all, in fact her lips made him want to touch them…

By Angela Bell

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; November 8th, 2011 at 05:42 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 12