Sketchbook: Hawk's sketchbook - "Eureka!...wait, no...nevermind"

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hawk's sketchbook - "Eureka!...wait, no...nevermind"

Ok, so I finally joined CA. I must admit that I've always been intimidated by you guys but the opportunities that everyone provides for critiquing and improvement finally overcame my shyness and I decided to start a sketchbook.

About Me: I'm 23 years old and I've been drawing since forever, mostly portraits and costume designs though. Because of my love of costume design I fell in love with researching but I soon realized that I didn't just want to create a costume design, I wanted to create a character with a story. I also love to design the various props/weaponry and I like figuring out how they would work.
    As for pieces, I was never a prolific artist and only recently did one of my friends encourage me to just draw all the time *eternally indebted to her* so most of my art is a little old but I'm trying to do something everyday now so I'll be adding alot more as I come along with that.

Media: I grew up using pencils and charcoal for costume design and head drawing but I finally broke down and started trying digital art, using a mouse and a random program that was on the computer already but my friend just sold me their spare tablet (Wacom Intuos 2) and I bought CS3 so I'm experimenting with that now. Because of my inexperience with digital, I don't know too much about brushes or anything but I'm picking up tidbits here and there and I'm trying to experiment with them.

So I guess I'll just start by posting what I have, I'd love any critique you can give me or suggestions of what I should do to improve in character design.

This is in chronological order so if you want to see anything new you need to read on. ^_Q

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by -HAWK-; May 27th, 2009 at 06:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Computer Coloring Beginnings

Using a mouse.
    Even for how weak these pieces are, I can't believe I had the patience to do these. I remember being away from home recently without my tablet and deciding to try using my mouse again...*ran away screaming*
    We really must pay homage to all those who spend precious hours of their lives with mouse in hand and god-like patience to create even the simplest pieces *bows in respect*

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're determined to use Digital Art, I'd advise you get a drawing tablet (Like Wacom) it just makes the process of drawing on a program a hell of alot easier. As drawing with a mouse is just plain awkward. By the way, do you have any sketches done in traditional media?

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Testing out the tablet

early tries with the tablet.

Romy: I revised her a little after this picture but think she still needs a major overhall in design, hopefully as I improve my photoshop technique I'll be able to work that out.

Hawk: My official alter-ego design. You can also see her in my avatar ^^ I already started working on the bottom picture again, adding a more painterly style to it. I'll probably be posting it as I work on it it to get some critique and suggestion on the weird lighting since I would really like this to be a nice finished piece.

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Girl "Asphodel": This was a character design inspired by Wen-M, The dagger she holding as well as the monster in front are his. I was going for this whole glowy thing, but the lack of reference killed it for me, I got way overwhelmed. Maybe I'll do a redesign when I have a better grasp of Photoshop and some good ref.

The sword: if you want to know the story behind this/get a better idea of the research that went into this, check out my blogger post where I explain the whole thing: http://hawks-lair.blogspot.com/2008/...th-design.html

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recent tablet sketches, proper reference really makes a ton of difference. I grew up with that deluded "if you're really good, you don't need reference" notion and I'm finally growing out of it as you can see here. I still need to work on the Gypsy girl, still some tiny anatomy issues to resolve but I'm much more satisfied with the look than with some of the previous pictures I posted - where it glaringly obvious that I wasn't using any ref.

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trying Digital Painting

Both of these are from this last week, I saw someone changing their brush settings for opacity jitter to pen pressure, and this is what I came up with. The owl I did in a couple of hours just to test the brush setting and I'm still working on the girl. I definitely like this setting, I can make it look so much more painterly.

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 2nd, 2008 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha22 View Post
    If you're determined to use Digital Art, I'd advise you get a drawing tablet (Like Wacom) it just makes the process of drawing on a program a hell of alot easier. As drawing with a mouse is just plain awkward. By the way, do you have any sketches done in traditional media?
    sorry I didn't see your message at first since I was still posting. I'll try too get some traditional stuff up too ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gesture Drawings

I had a chance recently to brush up my gesture drawings, I feel ok with most of the proportions but I'm still working on getting a good consistent line quality.

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Head drawings from life

Last year I had jury duty and and room was packed! Absolutely no one was called in so I took advantage of the room full of sleeping people to practice some head drawings. They're not amazing but I do like the two women to the bottom left of justice.

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Night at the Museum

-Animal sketches from a museum, I think I'll go to a zoo next to draw from live animals.

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 05:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Naruto Original Character Designs

Another set of recent character designs (both with very long and involved stories which, mercifully, I will omit) ^_Q
    -I should have used better ref, especially for the guy *hides in shame*

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portrait from a photo

I used to do tons of portraits in charcoal but that doesn't translate too well to drawing in random locations and I draw portraits all the time to calm myself when I'm stressed, so I started using pencil. I have a few more recent ones but I already had this one scanned to here you go:

Last edited by -HAWK-; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm really liking your observational work, it's far better than my own studies. And I'm liking the most recent Digital piece uploaded, the designs remind me of Naruto.

The pieces you've uploaded, are they in any particular order. Like for example, the ones at the top are older works and the lower ones the more recent. As the quality is noticeably improving as I run down.

Portrait is nicely done by the way, but it could benefit from some stronger tonal values. Just to define the shades more, and give greater form to them.

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by -HAWK- View Post

This is in kinda chronological order so if you want to see anything new you need to read on. ^_Q
    Well that explains one question, anyway. (I really should read more thoroughly)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kagemusha22 View Post
    Portrait is nicely done by the way, but it could benefit from some stronger tonal values. Just to define the shades more, and give greater form to them.
    Thanks, I'll work on that. I guess I haven't really got that down since I started doing pencils instead of charcoal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Silhouettes!!!

I'm in the middle of a visual development class in the mentoring section - mentored by jason01 - and I've been working on silhouettes. Since this is my first time doing them I decided to document my progress, so below is a rather large image taking you through my stages of development to create my Alice in Wonderland/Alice in Space-themed characters.

THEATRE
    When I first heard that we had to choose our own theme I was totally thrilled and immediately started developing a crazy pseudo-victorian theatrical troupe. With the queen as the prima donna, king as leading man, cheshire as mysterious writer/producer, hatter as the costumer and alice as a street child. Alice would be wandering the street when she sees a discarded rabbit marionette. She would eventually come across the traveling troupe and join their world of a never ending rehearsal. I thought it would be a cool way have the characters be able to use real lines from the book in a totally natural way.
    However, as I was working on the silhouettes, I felt that I was falling too easily into my costume designing ways, and since I wanted to challenge myself in this assignment I started looking for alternative themes.

POSES
    While I was searching for a new theme, I decided to work on poses and try and establish an overall style I wanted to use. I found a great site: http://characterdesigns.com, and started plugging away. After a ton of these (more than are shown) I found a proportion I liked and started refining it.
    Once I had a good sense of how I was going to draw them, I played around with them a bit and realized that I loved how little alice's head looked with a space helmet/orb on it and began researching space as an option.

ALICE IN SPACE
    With my reference found, I took the pose pages I had made previously and made copies to draw over. I used these to find pleasant shapes and poses that I believed would be appropriate to the theme and developed those further. It was around this point that I abandoned the hatter so that could focus more on the required characters.
    With the first set submitted, I received some great constructive criticism from jason01 advising me to push the poses further and explore different silhouettes.

SHAPES
    In response to this critique I set out making grids for body types. Since I wanted to keep some reality to the main human characters I used these as guides for "human" exaggeration. By the time I had these finished I had pretty much decided on what shapes I wanted to pursue further for each character and began modifying the silhouettes accordingly.

REVISION
    At the same time I began modifying the shapes I looked at way to push the poses. Since the character's outfits were mostly form fitting, I thought it was important that their poses strongly expressed their personalities. With my style a little more established at this point it became easier but it still took awhile to find something for each of the six variations that satisfied me. I definitely happy that I abandoned the hatter so early on, I think I would have gone crazy if I had to do another character at this point

LINEUPS
    So voila! Like magic the lineups appear! As you can see, I further modified the silhouettes, details mostly, but I'm a little happier with them at this point - at least I don't get sick of them immediately, j/k.
    I don't think we had to but I used all the variations in my lineups, I wanted to challenge myself and see if I could get a decent set out of each of them. I don't know how well I succeeded but it was good practice. Anyway, feel free to critique (this is conceptart.org after all) or give me any suggestions on ways to improve my silhouettes in the future, I appreciate any help I can get ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I was working on the silhouettes in the previous post I was inspired to improve my figures more by drawing some of my characters in more interesting poses as well, below are some of the results ^_Q

More of these coming soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Royal Zeppelin Air Force

Something I found laying around on my computer - a quick sketch for a story concept I has awhile back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just messing around, I thought it would be an interesting experiment to try making a comic page, but since I had no plot or any basic comic creating skills this is as far as it got. There are tons of obvious issues (especially the main girl's messed up head and strange sense of balance in the middle panel) but I thought I'd share it anyway ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it looks like I'm going with this lineup - it fits my concept/ideas the best, but I might take a few of the other silhouettes farther for fun, I might even do a standalone illustration of the whole #4 lineup since they look so cute together ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sweety!! so finally I get to comment on your sb sorry, I was working 8 hours a day lastly and when I came home I was so tired....

but now to your wonderfull sb !!!! I love your costume designs, dear!! and since you started with those shillouettes I'm terribly imperssed by your progress!!!! the poses in this one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1223389479 are really strong!
    I love this Alice-project of yours! cant wait to see it developed and refined and with the final touch ups!!! In my opinion the first Alice shilouette is the best (looks younger!), but the one you've chosen is quite good as well

sooo , dear! I'm really looking foreward to your next pieces, gotta go now, just came back from work, and need some rest !
    bye bye
    diana

Last edited by lilou; October 9th, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
    meh sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=134723
    (shameless selfpromotion)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just updating my sketchbook with some more of the "Alice in space" sketches.

Alice Costume Variations: This is just the first set, the second set will be more focused variations of #10 as a skirt (with either #11's goggles or #9's headband)

Faces: I've always gone with the first face that popped into my head so I thought it would be good practice to instead use my original as a base and see if I could come up with something more interesting by changing it around. I was just practicing with slight variations on this page but at the suggestion of my mentor, jason01, I'm reworking these to create a really varied sheet of face studies. I'm planning on doing this for the other characters as well, I think it'll lead me to finding better combinations of features that I wouldn't normally choose.

The White Rabbit: After hacking away and fixing and refixing the interior panel to death I decided to take it back down to the basics and just try to figure out what the main control unit would look like/what general shape would work best (I'll add the extra controls back in when I have this figured out)...but after looking over the ships again I admit I'm still not attached to any of the ideas. So I'm going back to my original concept and I'm going to try to make the ship kinda like KIT, so it can drive itself and interact with the passenger rather than just be driven (probably as the voice of reason in the story). I'll post the updated ships soon (with corrected perspective ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Alice sketches and my first try at a character of the week, just sketching to get a feel for the composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update - wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit more progress, I still feel like it's missing that "zing" but it's been good practice - I'll post the finished piece along with a load of Alice in Space pieces this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another CHOW sketch, this time it's a "Female Sith Lord"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

curiouser and curiouser...

more updates from my class with jason01...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another Wonderland update and a random doodle...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! The Alice in Space stuff is looking really amazing. Keep going!

"It's just that boys at their age have unchecked desires coursing, nay RAGING as a tempest would, through their tingling nethers!!"
    -- Dr. Orpheus

I finally started a SKETCHBOOK! Hoorays!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.