Sketchbook: My Evolution

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Evolution

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Evolution

Hello all , I am new to this forum as you can see. My name is Dimitris ,I am 29 years old, I come from Greece and I want to learn to draw and paint. My main hobby so far has been music, I am composing electronic music.

http://www.myspace.com/thekilon

http://www.soundclick.com/kilon

I am satisfied with my music , but I am afraid I suck at drawing. I have some experience with 3d software like 3d studio max, softimage xsi and zbrush and I am good at copying things with the pencil . But of course I still have a very , very , very long way to go till I am satisfied with my self.

I opened this sketchbook with a hope of helpful advice , I have visited several other sketchbooks and seems like an excellent idea. I have to warn you that I am not used to wacom pens and drawing with them, I am 10 times worse than drawing with pencil. I guess it is something it may take some time getting used to.

My goal is to at least spent an hour per day on drawing practice , I believe that I will able to spend alot more time than that, but I put this as a minimum . I work as lawyer so free time is luxury cause I work 50 hours per week .

I have already downloaded the "Drawing & Anatomy by Victor Perard" and I will base my study on this book . Ok here we go , do not be afraid to say that my art sucks , I am an opened minded guy and tolerant to any kind of opinion and advice. Thank you for your tolerance .

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kilon; September 8th, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok here we go. I spent only 30 minutes today on drawing but I spent another hour searching for a good anatomy book and doing some initial reading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That anatomy study is a good start. Do some more and post them.

Your music is pretty good by the way. Very...Ozric-esque almost...just less guitar work.

Keep drawing! Pretty soon, you'll be a professional lawyer, DJ, AND artist! What a résumé!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad, and rest assured that you're not the only one who has better 3d than 2d skills.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,969 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am glad you started a sketchbook dimitri
    I also listened to your music and i can say it can fit well with some special artworks.I think that one goal for now is to make art-soundtrack pieces.It will be something unique i guess.
    Just for now keep studying anatomy until you understand it good enough
    see ya and thnx for stopping by my sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    welcome here people here usually don't say your art sucks, it would be a useless "crit", you're a beginner, that's all. the crits here tend to be helpful, I love this site (though in the noob sb-s there are many 'nice start' posts, no matter the level, people just feel the urge to be kind to the little wannabe-artists - well, I like to be honest and helpful. nice too if I can )
    anatomy studies? good decision.
    and I saw much worse ones than your male body drawing
    use the anatomy book you like and other people, animals, objects, mirrors, photos, what you can and like (well, I'm a hedonist, so I do what I enjoy. but I enjoy anatomy and pose studies too). your attitude seems to be okay!
    one hour drawing a day after work - a noble wish, it's familiar do it, we're here to watch
    best wishes!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ FourTonMantis: Yes my main concentration for at least the next months will be anatomy and after that perspective . I am sick and tired to copy things with adequate precision but when it comes to making my own art to be in a dead end. So I will start from the simple and worry about details , much , much later. Thank you for your kind words about my music. Music is something I took seriously the last 3 years but I think that I will take drawing even more seriously . I want to combine both at some point but for the time being improving my drawing skills is the highest priority.

@ FightingSeraph: Yes 3d can be easier because you can edit anything but it takes huge amount of time. I am more interested in working fast that is why I believe 2d graphics will be more appropriate.

@ kingkostas: Yes indeed my music is ambient + soundtrack + electro
    . Thank you for the advice to start my own SB , you were right it is a fun and creative challenge. I can see now why everybody is exited with this method. It really helps.

@ shiNIN : I just make fun of my self. If I was not ambitious and did not believe in me I would not have left the comfort zone of composing music and start something completely new to me. It is a challenge and I see the fun side of things, that my art currently sucks but I am very anxious and exited to reach the maximum possible level. I am sure the next years will be alot of fun.

I would like to thank you all for taking the time to encourage me , believe when I say that it means a lot to me.

But enough talking I have spent almost 3 hours today drawing and studying anatomy as you have already advised me. Here the results. I am slowly getting used to using a wacom tablet.

Last edited by kilon; September 3rd, 2008 at 06:00 PM.
    So you think , that you are a noob ? Wait till you see my sketchbook.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135839

If you want something better then listen to my music

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Someone once told me that drawing is fundamental to all types of art, including 3d I think its true but well see im new myself. I listened to your music pretty interesting. I listen to more dnb some trance jungle etc You do any other styles besides eletronica?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies.And yes i see progress from the first study to this one.So keep them up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah studying is the fastest road to improving. Your'e definantly on the right track!

Sketchbook

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    His thought is slow but always kind;
    He holds us all within his mind.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorgoleon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ M4ze : I will have to agree , 2d is very useful if you want to do 3d. Because of my lack of knowledge of anatomy , shading, perspective , I lost countless hour of editing and editing and editing again 3d models . But now I understand what was wrong with my method. I no longer wish to return back to 3d , maybe I will use Zbrush again which is not 3d only . I love 2d graphics and I do not mind taking this step by step. Concerning music , I make only Ambient + electro+ soundtrack . I do not make trance or anything similar , because I try to stick to the music that comes naturally to me. But I love to listening to trance and any other kind of music as long as the track inspires me or motivates me in any way possible. I think you may find a couple of trance tracks in my website , for example "Supernova" , but I do not promise that is the best trance you have listened to.

@ kingkostas : Yes I am getting used to using a wacom slowly but progressively . And of course the studies help a lot .

@ Gorgoleon : Thank you very much. I already see some improvement and I wont abandon my studies.

So here is new study. I used black as background because staring at white color tired my eyes. I find black much more relaxing and I used a shade of green blue to make it look like a blue print. Here we go

Last edited by kilon; September 4th, 2008 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the pose studies most of them are really believable. I started such studies only recently maybe you should try the spartan camp activity here in CA 50 gestures + 1 optional study every week... I like it and find it useful, well, I wasn't so disciplined to make so many studies only for my own sb... but now I really like to do it
    for the background many artists use midgray. white isn't only bad for your eyes, but if you make a colored digital picture, it messes with your color choises, it's harder to decide what you should choose, they say. it's believable, I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to realize that the length of the legs is always more than the torso .
    Ckech it and you will understand the analogy
    Keep working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Shinin : I think that if I pressure my self to make 50 per week , then my head will explode. I think I will add some variation to my studies. I get bored easily so it will be more fun if I approach it more spherically , instead of concentrating in only one thing. I will add color and light-shadow to my studies sooner or later. So I will choose a more varied theme.

@ Kingkostas : Yes you are right , the legs are most of the time half a head longer. It is a mistake that I will correct.

So back to studies. I tried to make some bones and it was a disaster. Maybe the blue color confused me so I switched back to black and white. I am not so excited to study bone structure at the moment I will probably pass for the time being and choose something simpler.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kilon!

Nice start! Please continue and keep posting.
    I like how you did those sketches with light blue on a black BG..
    they relaxed my overworked eyes!
    and hey! we're both 29! Although the realization that I will soon turn 30 is driving me crazy!

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

22. The Following User Says Thank You to the ANGRY filipino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, basically try to understand how the head is constructed by simple shapes, it will help you a lot.Now you miss some things cause you stepping into details.Try to make some more studies to understand it better.You are on the right path keep up

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ the Angry filipino : Well I love being 29 , I hated when I was 18. The older I become the more I do the things I like , because of my maturity-experience and self discipline . Getting older is something that makes people nervous , but I feel that I would not change it for the world. The experience of life is like good old wine. I wish I had the brain I have now when I was younger.

@ Kingkostas : There alot of different approaches obviously. Understanding the basic shapes is of course fundamental. That is why for the time being I do not care for details all I want is to get the fundamentals correct like basic shapes , anatomy , posture etc. I assume you are talking about the sphere - cylinder exercise to make a head in a simplistic way. The book I have downloaded has not got that, I think I have a guide book of how to make marvel heroes somewhere buried , i will have to find it, because it shows that approach.

For the time being slowly I try to look less frequently at the reference images so that I force my brain to memorize what to I draw and not simply copy. I will probably have to make some of my own creations to apply what I have learned and exercise memory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    of course, do various studies you decide what you like, variation or focusing to one thing for a while. I just mentioned the spartan camp because you already uploaded 33 poses and one week is okay too, there aren't many who do spartan camp every week
    and don't think 50 simple gestures need more than 10 minutes if you use stickmen/10 seconds posemaniacs drawings though I personally think more detailed ones are more useful, well, I love human anatomy [I just wished to be clear, I won't mention this topic again here ]

the top two heads (not the skulls) in #14 is nice.
    especially that it's digital... I dunno about you, but for me a tablet is so strange. I like to play with it using colorful shapes, but I can't control my lines well, it drives me crazy if I try. I use very different approach for the two media so I am able to keep my sanity

okay, lurking mode on till I can give some constructive crit or advice. best wishes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ shiNIN : Ok , Ok for christ shake you persuaded me. LOL

Seriously I would be more than glad to participate along your side in Spartan Camp. I am waiting for the new one cause Iw ill surely study more figures. So a big yes to your proposition.

The wacom tablet has being a pain in the ass, but surprise surprise I am getting better at it at day 4. That is very impressive. I did not expect it to be that quick to be honest. So you should try it as well , it is not as difficult as it seems.

I would like to thank my friend Angry filipino for inspiring to use papyrus texture as background. It helps me avoid white background which is tiresome fro the eyes and makes my draws look ancient. Very cool. I love it , drawing is such fun.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kilon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It also makes images more interesting (the papyrus background).The last studies are great.Keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    using texture below the sketches is cool, I thought about the same already, seeing some sbs here... I'll try it too... beware, your texture is very prominent, especially those darker strands/threads may interfere with the drawing itself...

and I didn't want to persuade you, just show an opportunity really. but I will be glad if you join, the more the merrier

oh, it's a much handsomer skull than the previous ones and I never drew a vertebra! when I made some anatomy studies, I became very tired, there's an overwhelming amount of information and I'm interested in all... but it's time for more I can't let you outrun me so easily
    the last study is really nice too. you're doing it right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ shiNIN: Yeap the texture is very strong . I may have to blur and darken it a bit .

Bones are very difficult because they have very complex shape , compared to the body , they twist and turn in many shapes. However , we should get used to drawing complex shapes if we are to be good painters. But I seriously suck at bones.

Here is proof

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update for you. I avoided bones this time. But I am sure I will return to them sooner or later. I study the anatomy book , page by page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are/will improve just keep yourself going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are doing good man, study this anatomy book I'm doing the same thing it sure pays off plus I would recommend Loomis and Bridgman they really help to understand many things and thank you for proving that it's never to late to learn to draw , keep it up!!! those anatomy studies are already looking better

cheers

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kilon!
    Nice BG! We have the same problem, I can't stand white backgrounds too!
    Keep going with those studies! And although bones are a pain to draw, knowing their placements will help you remember where to put those "bumps' in the figure.

I SWEAR ON THE GRAVES OF ALL THE TALENTED FILIPINO ARTISTS WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE ME, THE FILIPINO ART LEGACY WILL CONTINUE!

MY DAY JOB http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=136204

MY ANGRY SKETCHBOOKhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...129015&page=13

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ jedininjaman: Thanks you for the motivation
    @ R&F : I have downloaded a Lommis book but it seems a bit too cartoonish fro my tastes. But I will give it a try.
    @ the ANGRY filipino : Thank you man your words mean alot to me . I will be more than satisfied when I reach half of your skill level

Another update . Not much this time. I had to rest my back from all these hours in front of a computer screen in work and while drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for dropping by my sb, I don't know which of Loomis books do you have but if you are into drawing human figure than I would suggest "Figure drawing for all it's worth" and "Drawing the Head and Hands", if go to some of the last pages of those trust me it's anything but cartoonish and one improtant thing is that it's not about coping his style (which is tempting, I try to do that much to often) but acquiring tools which later on will be very helpful, so when you draw form reference try to think how? and why? it's this not the other way, it's not easy at the beginning (I still have problems with midless coping) anyways just some thoughts based on my mistakes.

cheers

"iron determination
    a will that cannot bend"
    --------------
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes you are doing great and you feel more comfortable with bodies, keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ R&F: I do not think I have on of those two. I will try to find them, maybe I have downloaded the wrong book. Thanks for the advice, I already try to look away from the reference as much as I can so that I force my brain to use my memory and not just copy, it is not easy but as most people will agree , it is practice , practice and ... more practice.
    @ Kingkostas: Thanks Vasilia. I will keep trying.

Last edited by kilon; September 14th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.