Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

San Fransisco Apartment Prices?

What's the cheapest area in S.F. to live?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The gutter.....

No seriously, is this a trick question?

A.) There are 'cheap' places in seedy parts of Oakland/Berkeley/Emeryville, you can commute
    B.) You can bunk up with 4 people in an apartment in San Fran to make it 'cheaper'
    C.) If your definition of 'cheap' is less than $900/month for a studio, you could look for a room to rent instead
    D.) None of the above

EDIT:
    I think the best place to look for apartments in the Bay Area is Craigslist:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/apa/

P.S. Stay OUT of Bayview & Hunters Point... unless you wanna wash up under a bridge somewhere
    Last edited by Jessica Hook; September 1st, 2008 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    When I was looking out there, the cheapest neighborhood in SF was the Tenderloin.

In the city proper, you can find a studio in the Tenderloin for around $850. There's a reason that it's about 500 cheaper than most other neighborhoods. As Dave Chapelle said, "Ain't nothing 'tender' about it".
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    When I was looking out there, the cheapest neighborhood in SF was the Tenderloin.

In the city proper, you can find a studio in the Tenderloin for around $850. There's a reason that it's about 500 cheaper than most other neighborhoods. As Dave Chapelle said, "Ain't nothing 'tender' about it".
    Haha, so true. I was paying $850 for my studio 1 block from the Tenderloin, about 3 years ago. You need a bit of a thick skin to live in that area... keep your wits about you. It's a bit numbing, but also kinda exciting... it's like watching a perpetual train wreck.... a train wreck that rubs shit all over itself and can still take a piss while holding the hair of a crackwhore puking in your doorway. Entertaining, if nothing else. I found this article that seems very true to the experience of living in the Tenderloin. Enjoy http://www.shunpiking.com/ol0205/0205-look-sf-bf.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Hook View Post
    Haha, so true. I was paying $850 for my studio 1 block from the Tenderloin, about 3 years ago. You need a bit of a thick skin to live in that area... keep your wits about you. It's a bit numbing, but also kinda exciting... it's like watching a perpetual train wreck.... a train wreck that rubs shit all over itself and can still take a piss while holding the hair of a crackwhore puking in your doorway. Entertaining, if nothing else. I found this article that seems very true to the experience of living in the Tenderloin. Enjoy http://www.shunpiking.com/ol0205/0205-look-sf-bf.htm

Jess is right. I had people asking me to light their crack pipes in front of her door. I would go to her spot after work and walk through the poorer parts of the tenderness just to be entertained. then we got violently mugged in a nice neighborhood by a bunch of well to do white kids. hahaha!

Thanks
    Hmmm, yeah, Tenderloin, Mission. Although I think even the Mission is pretty high these days with the housing bubble popping. Everyone wants to rent now. Renting a room is possibly the best way to go.

You can go to the outskirts, East Bay. I live in San Leandro and its pretty cheap out here. Mostly working class and old folks. However,with the amount you will pay in commute on the BART train, you might as well live in the city, cuz it pretty much evens out.

Alameda, Oakland, Berkeley, San leandro, Emeryville...those are all relatively close and have some nice areas, with somewhat affordable places to live.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." -Barry LePatner

CRMacTernan Website

*ShineyNEW*SketchBook

*OldAss*SketchBook

Thanks
    From my experience from living in Baltimore (I know nothing to do with subject at hand)

The nicer parts of the city are more dangerous, at least in terms of getting mugged/apt robbed. If you think about it from the criminals point of view, are you going to mug/rob a guy who live in the projects or the guy with a half million dollar house and a Porsche? In terms of carjacking, just drive something that doesn't look like it'll make it down the street. For instance, my car recently sold for $300.

In Baltimore, I found I was generally safe if I minded my own business.

Thanks
    There's also the Sunset district and the area further south by San Francisco State University. I used to live in the Sunset but it can get pretty cold there, so I opted for the Mission, one of the warmer districts in SF and full of culture and life. Cafes everywhere.

One great thing about SF is it's public transportation system... you can live pretty much anywhere in the area and find most of the city easily accessible, given some time of especially for peak hours.

Thanks
    I think I'll stay away from San Francisco for now until I got enough money...

Thanks
    You also might be able to find a nice residence hotel in the city. many of them are sketchy are host to a plethora of hoodlums and unsavory types of people, but there are some good ones that have a choosy landlord. many of those kinds of places usually have a shared hallway bathroom and no kitchen facilities, but they are furnished (bed, desk, lamp etc). if you have no problem having a small place to rest your head, then a residence hotel might be right for you, even if it's just for a little bit while you find bigger place. prices vary, but they're somewhere around 175/wk for a small room. definitely affordable on the San Francisco minimum wage.

Thanks
    Ah yeah that's the other thing you should keep in mind, jobs out here pay more. Minimum wage is around 9.50. Industry jobs here pay thousands more a year (doesn't quite make up for cost of living but it's great if you're just living in a little apartment with no kids).

Looking for an available room in a group apartment situation on Craigslist is the cheapest way to go though San Francisco is expensive but in terms of arts culture it beats everywhere else in the states. Even NY doesn't have the density of game and animation studios we have. Plus it's the friendliest and most relaxed place I've ever lived or visited!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    Ah yeah that's the other thing you should keep in mind, jobs out here pay more. Minimum wage is around 9.50. Industry jobs here pay thousands more a year (doesn't quite make up for cost of living but it's great if you're just living in a little apartment with no kids).

Looking for an available room in a group apartment situation on Craigslist is the cheapest way to go though San Francisco is expensive but in terms of arts culture it beats everywhere else in the states. Even NY doesn't have the density of game and animation studios we have. Plus it's the friendliest and most relaxed place I've ever lived or visited!
    Yeah I went up there with a friend a few years back - And I'm from rural arizona so it was like heaven on earth. Even down to the bumbs oddly enough to say lol. They were really interesting characters. And the city, culture and weather are just perfect by my standards. Wouldn't even matter if I went to school, the environment is so inspiring I'd never put down a pencil.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post

i completely agree, SF is the place to be, its expensive, but its well worth it in my opinion.

Thanks
    On a side note, there's one problem regarding all the companies here and people they attract... there's a lot more competition for good jobs. Personally, I've been offered work is several places, none of which are in Northern California (or anywhere CA for that matter, LOL), but I've held off to continue my education so I can possible have more options in the future.

I do love it here and would like to stay as long as I can, just keep this in mind if you are thinking about relocating in the hopes of being part on the industry.

Thanks
    Its so weak sauce that the cost of 'living' is still determined by the cost of feeding yourself, rather than the cost of housing.

If I had to live in the city right now, broke as I am, I'd probably go for a spot in the barrio over the Tenderloin or Hunters Point. Trying to find a place somewhere nicer and you're probably going to need at least 3 people in on it. Running a house with three isn't that bad though. Its almost better than living with just one other person (who isn't your girlfriend or boyfriend I mean) since it takes that much longer to get sick of each other, and battles over dishes and laundry are easier to resolve with a third person on deck.

Craigslist is the way to roll.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; September 1st, 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    The Tenderloin was described to me as the part of San Francisco where a nuclear bomb of fail went off. True story:

Friend of mine was standing on a street corner, trying to call her friend on a cell phone to get directions. Out of nowhere, a transient runs up to her and smacks her in the face with a balogna sandwich, then flees. She was shaken and smelled like lunch meat, but unharmed. Another friend was beaten up in broad daylight by a couple of guys and their pitbull, yet they didn't rob him or anything. :/

The answer the OP, you're best to sublet a room or look around on Treasure Island. Having a car on the island is a good call as there is only one bus there that will take you to the city but the housing is much cheaper and it's safer than the 'loin. My friend has a 4 bedroom place there and pays $650/mo for his share. The drawbacks: the island was built on fill and will likely sink in the next big quake, plus the soil on the island is very radioactive as it was used for military purposes in WW2. Just don't eat anything that grows on the island, no matter how awesome the olive trees there are

Darktwin:
    I'm gonna argue with ya on the animation studio quotient of SF, at least for 2D. You can't beat LA when it comes to that, not in a longshot
    Last edited by Steph Laberis; September 1st, 2008 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    I would advise Daly city, emeryville or berkley. You can get into the city easily on Bart from any of those locations. Inside the city, outersunset is pretty cheep and isnt nearly as bad as the tenderloin or hunters point. To give you a few price points: I have a 2 bedroom at the very top of the tenderloin for 2250, my friend has a 1 bedroom deep in the tenderloin in a new highrise for 1700.
    remember, to save money in-laws are your friend and it may be much cheaper to find a room in a house or apartment. My friend pays 750 for a room in a 5room apartment on grant street in china town.
    (that's the other thing, if you are Chinese you may be able to find really cheap places in the Chinese newspaper or may get deals with Chinese landlords, i know several people who have).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis View Post
    The Tenderloin was described to me as the part of San Francisco where a nuclear bomb of fail went off. True story:

Friend of mine was standing on a street corner, trying to call her friend on a cell phone to get directions. Out of nowhere, a transient runs up to her and smacks her in the face with a balogna sandwich, then flees. She was shaken and smelled like lunch meat, but unharmed. Another friend was beaten up in broad daylight by a couple of guys and their pitbull, yet they didn't rob him or anything. :/

The answer the OP, you're best to sublet a room or look around on Treasure Island. Having a car on the island is a good call as there is only one bus there that will take you to the city but the housing is much cheaper and it's safer than the 'loin. My friend has a 4 bedroom place there and pays $650/mo for his share. The drawbacks: the island was built on fill and will likely sink in the next big quake, plus the soil on the island is very radioactive as it was used for military purposes in WW2. Just don't eat anything that grows on the island, no matter how awesome the olive trees there are

Darktwin:
    I'm gonna argue with ya on the animation studio quotient of SF, at least for 2D. You can't beat LA when it comes to that, not in a longshot
    other draw back to treasure island is there is only one "grocery" store on the entire island. So you really have to leave to do anything including shopping.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetoblivion314 View Post
    other draw back to treasure island is there is only one "grocery" store on the entire island. So you really have to leave to do anything including shopping.
    Oh, they have a second one in the old guard station actually! It's still barely a grocery store of course, so you're right I'm actually headed there tonight and I'll say this, you can't beat the views.

San Fransisco Apartment Prices?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis View Post
    The drawbacks: the island was built on fill and will likely sink in the next big quake, plus the soil on the island is very radioactive as it was used for military purposes in WW2. Just don't eat anything that grows on the island, no matter how awesome the olive trees there are
    Hmmmm....them seems like some pretty big drawbacks.

Thanks
    Hmmmm....them seems like some pretty big drawbacks
    she forgot to mention that you'll also need to use the Bay Bridge if you want to go ANYWHERE. so plan on not going anywhere during rush hour, cause the bridge traffic can suck something awful.

Though that's more a daily inconvenience type drawback, not so much a potentially life threatening one...
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Treasure Island. That's the place I'm trying to move to currently. Everything seems to be taken though. Oh and some advice. If you talk to someone over the phone be clear with them that they're going to show you a room or whatever if you guys make an appointment. You don't want to be on your way to San Francisco and someone calls you and tells you that they sold the room. That happened to me the other day and I wanted to choke the girl on the other line.
    Last edited by Samari; September 2nd, 2008 at 02:46 AM.
    "And you will shed tears of scarlet."

Thanks
    Wheres that place that always gets shown at the beginning of "Full House", thats seemed nice. Move there.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nicolas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Hmmmm....them seems like some pretty big drawbacks.
    Not to mention these guys...

Attachment 453003

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    From Wiki:

After the Naval Station closed in 1997, Treasure Island was opened to residential and other uses, but according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the state Department of Toxic Substances Control, the groundwater and air are contaminated with asbestos, plutonium, radium and other substances which are known to cause cancer and other illnesses.[5]

Another risk of living on Treasure Island is the high risk of liquefaction during an earthquake. All of Treasure Island is built on landfill, and few if any of the buildings on the island were built to withstand a major earthquake, much less an earthquake magnified by liquefaction.

The Cosco Busan oil spill of 2007 happened just a few hundred yards from Treasure Island. The majority of the pollution was carried by the bay currents to other shores, however cleanup crews spent several weeks cleaning the coast of Treasure Island as well.
    "And you will shed tears of scarlet."

Thanks
    You can live in seedy residence hotels until you find a better place. It's easier to find a place when you're out here security deposit in hand, as you can throw it down that day if you need to. Bayview is no fun, but it has big rooms for cheap. What're you looking to do while you're out here?
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Wheres that place that always gets shown at the beginning of "Full House", thats seemed nice. Move there.
    haha, I *think* that was Nob Hill, one of the pricier and more photogenic neighborhoods in SF.

You don't want to be on your way to San Francisco and someone calls you and tells you that they sold the room.
    it's tough to really get a place without being there to handle it in person. Finding a sublet or staying in an extended stay hotel for a few weeks is probably the best way to do the apartment hunt. Many Craigslist posts don't last a day before somebody snatches it up.

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Nonono, the beginning of Full House is by Union Square. *Really* expensive I assume - been to a couple parties in one of those mansions (it actually used to belong to Anton Levey, founder of the Satanist church).

Thanks
    i assume he was talking about the "painted ladies" which are right next to alamo square in the western addition. there are actually some fairly affordable places within blocks of there, as well as some of the projects :/

Thanks
    I second Wes, I believe Nicolas is talking about the "Painted Ladies" which are approximately two blocks from where I live, and yes there is quite a bit affordable places to rent in the area. Good luck Nopig I hows that recruiter treating you? Gotta love the western addition government housing, man they are getting off easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast