Bannings and some common sense stuff.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Bannings and some common sense stuff.

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,573 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Bannings and some common sense stuff.

First off, I really hate to take time to make posts like this. I will keep doing it though if this stuff continues.

This week a group of artists posted a fake ad banner up on the gallery pages. All fine for a joke...which took some time from my busy day to delete them and clean it up. If conceptart allows advertising in the future, we will handle it then...and it may be worth looking into to help pay for better tech and growth. However, at this exact day we do not allow advertising on the site. I suggested to those who did it to not do it again.

The issue is pretty simple really. I am in working, volunteering with others, to help make the tech better for this site and have to stop to clean up messes. This is when it becomes a problem to have people acting like eight year olds in this community.

Today I come in and there is immaturity, insults, and other garbage going on from the same people who had caused problems in the gallery. I removed Takmask's lounge posting abilities and suggested he focus on his art. This led to insulting comments coming back and a fuck you posting in the gallery. Of course, the ban happens quick when people are thinking this is a place for acting out. This is not the place.

Then I get to witness a group of artists figuring out ways to cause more problems on conceptart.org. Because of this the following users are now banned.

Mike Corrierro (had already received final warnings after making physical threat in the Finally Finished section a year ago or so)
    Takmask (permanently banned for all the above and more)

There are a group of members getting warnings as well. If you are going to cause problems here on the site, for no reason other than to make fun for yourself or to show off to new friends, you will be banned. Gone. Done. Insulting people who spend their days volunteering here giving time in the community will also not be tolerated.

Future abuse of the galleries will lead to immediate banning. Permanently.

Sorry to sound so tough...but really. If people are going to come in here and give me and the other admins the big screw you then we are going to have to close those users accounts.

Last edited by Jason Manley; September 1st, 2008 at 04:58 AM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reading this just made me want to say thanks to everyone who gives something to this community, and especialy the moderators, i've never seen a level of dedication and friendlyness like this on any other forum and i struggle to think of many places in real life that match it.

One day (ere... not any time soon though, so poor right now :/ ) i'll donate enough so you could all get a beer :p

so Thanks concept art!

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't feel bad Jason, there will always be a minority of dicks floating around at any place. The rest of us really do appreciate the work you guys do to make CA possible though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stern, stern but fair.

Thanks for your great work CA admins! It is much appriciated even though shit hits the fan at times.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I had no idea this was going on. I'm a big fan of Corriero's work. It's a shame this all had to happen. Maybe with time people's tempers can cool and such. Of all the people I've met in my life, the ones I respect the most never got angry. Something for me to aspire to.

Once again, thank you Jason and all the others that made this site possible. I've grown so much since I joined here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I seemed to have missed the drama

Jason thanks for your time and the post/clarification/heads up. I'm really sorry to hear about this. I'm really rather surprised and saddened to hear about Mike's behavior.

All the best,
    ~Shane

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am suprised to hear that Mr. Corrierro is involved in such things. Completely passed me o,O What happened ? <,<

But , as bannings on CA are quite rare in comparison to other Forums , I guess it was probably needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a complete surprise and shock to me that Mike Corrierro got booted. I did like his art and he did make significant contributions to CA...but I can understand the reasons for banning. After all, he had been warned.
    Anyway, I wish Mr. Corrierro best of luck.

Jason, thanks for trying to keep CA site clean and making it a place for artists to meet and learn, instead of letting it degrade into an unregulated place of hostilities and immaturity. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by VulgarDragon; September 1st, 2008 at 11:29 AM.
    -Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Takmask had it coming, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with your decision to ban Mike.

I think he's a good member and he's helped me out with a few of my recent drawings. I can only hope that you'll consider lifting his ban in the future.

I'll just leave it at that.

Check out my sketchbook.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BadGeometry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BadGeometry View Post
    Takmask had it coming, but I'll have to respectfully disagree with your decision to ban Mike.

I think he's a good member and he's helped me out with a few of my recent drawings. I can only hope that you'll consider lifting his ban in the future.

I'll just leave it at that.
    Seconded, but with an addition; I have no idea what Mike did so my support could be misplaced.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm shocked to here Mike would be involved in such nonsense. He has always seemed to be an upstanding member of the community. But, alas, I do not know him personally and I defer to Jason's greater wisdom and trust his judgment. I'm going to defer back to a post I made when there was a little DA raid going on. It seems once again appropriate:

I'm going to use hip hop here for an analogy. There was a time, early on, when DJs covered up their records. They hid their arsenal and techniques in an attempt to be able to out do each other. But this stagnated the genre and, as part of hip hop is about togetherness and community, eventually the stickers came off the labels and DJs came together. They joined one another and said "This is what we do and how we do it. Learn this and take it somewhere else. Figure out thing we havent yet, and come back and show everyone. If we learn from each other, we can take this art higher for those to follow us."
    That's more or less what we have here at ConceptArt. We have a bunch of people that love what we do and want to see it taken further. The "kissing up" is also known as "appreciation". There are many people here that are amazing talents that are already in the field. To have access to them in such a capacity is them tearing the stickers off their records for you to see how they did what they did. Every person here wants every other person to excel. The fact that the leaders of Massive Black are regular posters in these forums, with their schedules, show a dedication to both community and individuals. The fact that there are countless people from countless positions in the industries we all dream of being in, are here, helping each other and those up and coming to further our arts is unprecedented. Artists that care about artists and art. Pure and simple. Sites like this or CG Networks are an amazing asset that you should not take for granted due to some foolish war of pride nestled between ones and zeros. If you dont care for critique and compliment from your brothers in arms, then you dont care about your art. If you dont care for what places like this due to further what it is we all love, then you dont care about art.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is mikes ban permanent or can we expect him back? Sorry if i missed it in the original post.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mugen1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @Hookswords: I remember that, thanks for reminding me about it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mike was a real asset to this community. Regardless of differences and whatever else there may have been going on, I'm sad to see him go.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason, im not sure if mike mentioned this to you, but he said if he gets banned he wanted you to take down every post he has ever made. Perhaps ask him about this first but im sure it would be the honorable thing to do. Thanks Jason, and don't be scared, we are only a vent server.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tri_beer_gut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds like a really bitter thing to ask, there's a lot of usefull information in his posts I'm sure...

I'm confused as to what happened here too though :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tri Beer...you should stay as far out of this as possible. My patience runs very thin right now with your involvement. Please consider this your polite warning. Additional behavior to damage conceptart.org or cause problems here of any sort will result in your posting abilities being removed and your account blocked. The vent server you and the others were scheming on has been paid for out of my own pocket thank you. Right now all your abilities to participate in all aspects of this site are in place. You are active and show some promise with your work. If you want out too, please just say so.

For those who think Mike has been helpful. I agree. That is why I stuck up for him for the past two years when other people were calling for him to be banned...when he threatened one of my crew (whom I love like a brother) with physical violence on ca (normally perma ban INSTANTLY) and a number of pros demanded he be banned or they would not post here anymore, I calmed them down. When I have multiple professionals telling me he is causing problems, something is amiss. Y'all need to know that I was the one sticking up for him as he had been helpful over the years. Time and time again I put my neck on the line for the guy. However, he was participating in something that not only took my valuable time but smeared conceptart in the process. He was given a final warning after the threats. He was warned again after he was caught causing problems. That is when it got worse. He and some others were scheming on how to fuck with conceptart.org, including making hateful posts on the net and a number of other things. The last straw was having my private message warning to him showing up on the internet in spiteful fashion. Considering he was already on account probation, he should have known not to go stirring up the same kind of trouble that led to his warnings in the first place. The immaturity stops here. He is done. I stuck up for him for years. He stepped on my toes anyway.

Chat and Ventrillo participation has also been closed for those affected by the ban. If people are going to use the systems paid for by conceptart.org to make a mess of things, their ability to participate will be removed as well.

Last edited by Jason Manley; September 1st, 2008 at 04:15 PM.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri_beer_gut View Post
    Jason, im not sure if mike mentioned this to you, but he said if he gets banned he wanted you to take down every post he has ever made. Perhaps ask him about this first but im sure it would be the honorable thing to do. Thanks Jason, and don't be scared, we are only a vent server.
    Sounds like he knew it was coming.

I didn't follow what this issue was, and I am sad to see Mike go...but, it's Jason's/Massive Black's playground and we should be honored to be able to play in it. It is Jason's decision to make alone without any input from Mike, or any of us...

And honestly, in what "forum" does the offender/guilty party get to decide the qualifications of their punishment?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I read Mike's name in there I thought I was seeing things. Thanks for the explanation, Jason. From a limited point of view, it seemed out of the blue. I had no idea this was going on.

The Boulder takes issue with that comment.

Sketchbookedness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll take the ban, I just wanted to say. Nice way to explain things in a very one sided manner.

I can say that the attacks he makes against mb and guys like marko, rich, coro, and andrew are not helpful...especially after I see his rip of andrews process/download put up on imaginefx as an example of his own method. Normally this too would not be an issue, but after he bad mouthed mb crew to go and borrow their methods and claim them as his own is irritating....but that kind of thing didnt get him banned. I allowed that to all go on for a long time and stayed out of it. I saw it all as silly really. But after a while, it all adds up. It is best to simply remove the problem.
    That's all complete crap and It's sad you need to make shit up to try and right your reasoning. No mention of how your friends (listed) had done anything at all to "start" any of the issues. Accusing me of stealing Andrews METHOD????? what the hell is that Jason. Could you go ahead and make up any more crap about me..damn.

I respect this place and all the members. I respect what's being done here for the community as a whole but there are far too many things that are said here to try and make it look like I'm some kind of terrorist and spammer. Contribution to a simple joke that took literally 1 minute to take down.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MCORRIERO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike, I am not stupid. The joke didnt get you banned. It got you warned. Smearing and scheming against conceptart.org and mb in the server ca pays for got you banned...as well as the other things mentioned.

I do not discount the good you have done as the years went on. You helped a lot of younger students. I appreciate that work and effort. It is why I defended you the past few years.

Please do not blame me for the things that got you warned over the years...or for the conversations and actions you were participating in last night. That was your decision. I had nothing to do with it and was following standard mod procedure here. Though I gave another warning even though you had used all yours up. After you burned me again, you were on your own. You know how things work around here man.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by MCORRIERO View Post
    I'll take the ban, I just wanted to say. Nice way to explain things in a very one sided manner.

That's all complete crap and It's sad you need to make shit up to try and right your reasoning. No mention of how your friends (listed) had done anything at all to "start" any of the issues.

I respect this place and all the members. I respect what's being done here for the community as a whole but there are far too many things that are said here to try and make it look like I'm some kind of terrorist and spammer. Contribution to a simple joke that took literally 1 minute to take down.

Last edited by Jason Manley; September 1st, 2008 at 01:54 PM.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's sad to see boredom and ignorance get mixed together to create problems such as these.

I am good friends with mike; seeing this upsets me...

Especially that he coaxed other members from ventrilo whom are young, early in their careers, and look up to him enough to not think twice and following the lead.

anyways...
    just a reminder to everyone, the 'rules' of conceptart.org carry over from the forum/site to the IRC and ventrilo chat.

Users who are banned from ventrilo or IRC aren't always banned from the forum, but they are closely watched from there on.

Users who are banned from the forums though, lose all other community access and privileges.

Last edited by davi; September 1st, 2008 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, dammit.

Stuff like this is a downer. Sorry for when it happens, but understand the need to do it, too. But...Mike? bummer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is begging to be locked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    staedtler...that pm was just the warning. it was the scheming and smearing after the fact that got both these guys banned. I went ahead and removed your fake account too.

if i have to take time out of my day to clean up anyones messes they are making around here, and those people escalate the problem, as mike and takmask did, they will be banned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tri_Beer_Gut is now banned too (30 days). Anyone else want to send insulting private messages after being warned? Feel free. People around here need to grow up. It is official. ConceptArt.Org is in house cleaning mode.

To all the noobies coming aboard, and to the few old timers who still havent learned after all these years. This site is not DeviantArt or Eatpoo. Spiteful immaturity and deconstructive behavior are not welcome here. Never have been. Never will be.

Last edited by Jason Manley; September 1st, 2008 at 07:20 PM.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Add two more to the list...AwesomCherryBlossom and Scott Floyd. Scott is perma-banned. AwesomCherryBlossom has two weeks of lock out.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you know I am a participant on two other forums on of which has a short list of rules all of which = "don't be a dickwad"

and one of which sponsors the idea of CUYADS which plays out to be "clean up you own damn shit"

its a good philosophy to live by.... applied to forums and life.

I have the greatest respect for mike, and his teaching has been outstanding both on vent asnd in the mentor thread, But he was asking for this, and he knew it would happen. So lets go on and shut up and draw . K? thx.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Members who have read this thread: 2