Foreshortening Help
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Foreshortening Help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Foreshortening Help

Hello All. This is me first post on this wonderfully wonderful site! I lovvveee concept art! hehehe well that's probably obvious from the fact that I'm here...hehe but anyways. I had a question about foreshortening (spell?) I'm trying to draw a person from the front who is sitting with her arms l propped on her legs she's kind of in the hunched over position only it would be from the front. Anyone have any tips on how to make this work? Thanks for any help!!

~Shin :hello!:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

Just an initial disclaimer, I'm fairly certain that I'm going to explain this badly but I'm willing to give it a shot.

The way you should approach the drawing at first is to think of as a flat 2 dimensional piece. So the first thing that you should do is to draw only the outline of the figure.

Don't worry about the forms that overlap (like how the arms are in front of chest) for now. It's kinda like a contour drawing at this point.

Once your outline is done, take a few minutes to double check your proportions.

After you know your proportions are right, then add in the rest of the contour lines that you need for the overlapping forms.

Does that make sense?

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm about to give you just the opposite advice... start with foreshortened cylinders. visualize them in 3D. know where her knees, hands, elbows, and all the curvature should be in relation to each other. using the cylinders as guides draw in the details in perspective.

thinking in 2D helps too, but to me seems to be more of a composition thing.

It's got to be more than a memory, or is life just a fantasy and a piss in the sand?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thankies

Thanks for both your help! I'm about to start work on more people for some silly little thing that my friends and I are doing and this will help me greatly! Thanks again!

~Shin

Members who have read this thread: 1