Character Sketches [would like advanced critiques, please!]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character Sketches [would like advanced critiques, please!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character Sketches [would like advanced critiques, please!]

Hey there!

I'm trying to whip out some ideas quickly (but not messily). I'm not sure if I'm spending too much time on the rendering or not (rendering tends to be something I really enjoy, so I might be getting caught up in it). Also, I'm wondering if some of these guys really don't "fit" with the others...like that one dude that kinda looks Roman, hah.

I've still got another row full of these guys to do, and I'm wondering if you guys can give me any feedback regarding:

What's working? What's good? What should I continue to do?

What's bad? What should I watch out for?

I'm going to be doing another sheet later, probably female characters...maybe with a "medieval royalty" theme.

Thankyuh!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fireflights; August 31st, 2008 at 10:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are good thumbnails. I personally don't spend a lot of time on thumbnails, but well-rendered thumbnails do help giving a clear idea of your thoughts.

What kind of character are you going for? A fighter? A bard? a mage? or a royal man? I see a few different directions here. Do you have a story for the character? Or are all of these thumbnails for different characters?

My favorite of the batch are the 1st and 4th of the first row, as well as the 1st of the last row. These characters have good "rhythm" between details and large plain areas that allow the eye to rest. The outfits look plausible yet not generic. The characters also have good silhouette. The two that do not fit into the batch are the 2nd one in the first row and the 4th one in the last row. The former looks a bit too primitive to fit in with the civilized bunch. I cannot quite pin down why the latter looks out of place, but it jumped out at me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightblue View Post
    stuff
    Thank you very much. I was going for just a generic "group" or community of people that kind of had a middle-class, medieval look about them. I was wondering about the 2nd guy in the 1st row too - but it's always good to hear it from somebody else too, haha. I'll take all the other stuff you mentioned into account, too.

Thanks again for your post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, NightDragon! It's good to see you off the PAX forums.

These are some interesting thumbnails you have. I like the process, but like Nightblue, I'm still left with some questions as to their purpose. How exactly do you intend to use these ideas? Are you planning on narrowing out the best of the sheet or going to use a handful for something? That would be helpful to me.

Another thing that I'm looking at strictly if you were to create a black silhouette of all the characters together is how easy they are differentiated. Right now, there's only a couple that stand out particularly. The 2nd from row 1 like you mentioned and the guy with the sword secondly. Other than that, there aren't very many interesting changes going on to stand out. These would be fine as like background characters or townspeople, like you said with the middle-class medieval attitude, but as it stands I wouldn't consider many of these for anything besides that.

Hope that helps. Have you been on the site long?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    Great thumbs! I think you have a great sense of space. You keep things interesting, not busy, I like that. One point of criticism: keep in mind a unique flavor for each character, some of the thumbs have this already. a good example is the last one in the first row.

Do you have any background ideas for these/this character(s)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nightblue, Might it be due to his hair? the others are all in hats or bald. ( Talking about bottom row dude.)

The Empty Suit

Laughably Newbtastic SB:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135641

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the strongest point of these characters are, at the same time, their weakest point, depending on how you plan to use them.

They all look very believable, I mean, I can imagine that each one of these guys, existed in our history, they look like history book illustrations.
    And this is the problem, while if you are aiming for very realistic background characters, you really got it right.

But if you are looking for a main character, design-wise, I don't think they call my attention that much, they lack "personality" on the design, special things on the clothes, things missing, bruises, simbols, etc...

So, basically:
    They look very good as realistic portrayals of "medieval" clothing, but, i think they lack "character".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all very much for your critiques - all excellent points.

Gurt - yeah, a few years. I just rarely post anything. Always funny to find another PA'er on here, though. Heh!

jletourneau07 - Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to match each character with a specific "flavor". This is my first set of characters ever, really, so I'll try to do better with that next time. They're not supposed to be main characters at all - just generic townspeople, really. "Supporting background characters", if you will.

Carbono - Thanks for your input. That's pretty much exactly what I was going for, so I'm glad for that. They were meant as "background characters", yeah. Absolutely not a main character or anything like that.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.